Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32421

Subject: "Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)"

Dey came in the mail and here they are

1 per post on this thread

First up:

LIFE WITHOUT THE DAT VOL.1:

Foley is one of those cats you got to give it up to. And these cdrs prove this fact. Now Chill Im gonna tell you what they are but since there are three Im gonna give all 3 equal time. Its like Im the 1st member of the "Smart Alec Music Club" haha

The fact that they arent in stores make this even more psyched to listen to. The cdr front photo is "a torso with Lingerie and it says "Life with no DAT Vol.1" the second is the photo with Miles and Foley "Miles Live" and third is some ancient white goodniks smiling "Live in DC"

Im gonna review all 3 today back to back for you cats interested .....All 3 just for you who want to know what it sounds like... Here we go....

Track 1:Its some mutated jazz funk fusion with a ill saxophone and Foley just goes into the stratosphere on that dissonant electric Smart Alec tone. I would call this the "Anthrax SAX jam" because of today. But the melody on this is ridiculous and not sure if its a cover. The drummer is ridiculous. Prince and D'angelo and all the guitarists John Mclaughlin,Vai,Charlie Hunter what have you would be like "WTF this mf is bad." Believe that CATS...believe it. The bassplayer on this if its foley or whoever jams on this shit too. Foleys tone is on that dissonant funky shit and he plays the melody in unison with the sax this contorting funky jam that just doesnt stop. Eric Leeds would have a heart attack if he heard this.

Track 2:This is some dampening guitar riff and it sounds homestudio but its funky and Foley comes in on Slyesque voice and its a funky jam with Hendrixesque/Slystonesque melodies but this shit is so funky on the vocal and rhythm tip. I have no idea what this. But its ill and Quest,D'angelo and Jay dee and Common would freak if they heard the bridge on this. Its cool how he changes the middle and he keeps getting funky. Sly Stone would say "Goddamn send this cat to my studio right now" The drums are on point and this is just tight how he arranged this. Its raw and it is tight.

Track3:This is Kashmir...the cover that should have been heralded instead of that crappy Puffdaddy version. This version is done on some Sly Stonesque melody invoking Jimmy Page/Plant to the funk it has some midi synths playing the strings. Lenny White on the drums. And Foley just gets funkier than a mother on the bass slapping in the pocket so badass and keys-rhodes and clavinet. For those who havent heard somebody put a mp3 up. He should have made the Led Zeppelin Tribute album for Atlantic all by himself! But no this version should have been on it. Oh yea and nobody is FUCKIN with this. The bridge also twists that middle eastern melody on midi synths/and brings it to someplace with those ringing middle easter guitars. The volume on this was recorded a bit low but its just off the Lenny White edge album I think. Foley takes the sly stone influence somewhere else on this. Wait this is the demo version because theres a sax spot on it.

4:You ready? Nah you aint ready you wont guess. I couldnt have.Its a cover of Jackson 5 ABC but done in a slow reworked funky way with a tight horn section. This is crazay. This is funky and the vocalists are tight. Foley arranged this so genius like a motha. And he is telling people "You are not singing everybody...sing" The drummer swings on the bridge and the vocalists keep taking turns like Family stone. This is da real deal folks. Its amazing rendition Im tempted to send these discs to Victor Wooten because in NO time NO time they would be working together. Mark my words WOOTEN would flip for this cat. He flipped it again... suckas. The horn section is so tight on this and the organ and rhodes is just accompanying it lovely. He is in Berlin I suppose but it doesnt matter cuz this needs to be on the radio on some shows. And Michael Jackson needs to hear this. Berry Gordy needs to hear this. Foley starts singing in a funky falsetto. And now he is switching it to "Temptations" song from 1969 effortlessly and the background singers take it. Then he goes back to "ABC" on the funky ending they did and they swing out on it and keep funking it.

5:This is rhodes and some hard hitting drums with some timbale section and some heavy slap bass and its just skull snapping funky on the uptempo and then a record scratch comes in and the rhodes is playing this funky solo. Then this sax comes in on this Eric Leedesque type sound. And then its done after a minute or so.

6.Another live track with a drum opening that is funky. Foley is in Chicago and he says "Chicago that shit is fake CHICAGO where you at " then they scream louder and he says "My name is Tom Brokaw and tonights show is brought to you by the letters B and S" This drummer keeps playing this tight figure and Foley grabs the 12 string acoustic and jams on some Hendrix "Voodoo Chile" This version is crazy unplugged and hes rocking it. He instructs the crowd to snap the fingers. Then he goes into something else unrecognizable song but he keeps jamming oh shit its Fiona Apples "Fast as you can" a complete 12 string reworking. But he changes it into some kintetic funky 12 string hybrid juxposition. And once again you aint fuckin with it. Foley is funky on the vocals on this letting the crowd have it. He completely reworks Fast as you can. Theres a drum section and Foley says "Im feelin it I just lost my head for a second"Lose your head more often I say. Foley needs his own radio show weekly. Anyways Foley and his drummer Rizzy vamp together lovely like Buddy Miles and Jimi. He tells the crowds to snap fingers for somebodys birthday.
He keeps vamping on the acoustic reworking of Fiona apples "Fast as you can"
Just a 12 string guitar and drums. ... and says "Thank you chicago" Fiona should hear this rendition.

7:This is a scaled down version of track 1 "anthrax jam" (See description) no sax. And the drums are just going off and Foley takes the solo into the galaxy for all to hear tappin some melody and bending the strings. Steve Vai...should hear this. Foley just goes off jamming and takes the melody and twists it around think Prince/John Mclaughlin/Steve Vai/Eddie Van halen and you would have the right idea of Foleys solo spot. Twacked out... and its extended and Foley starts messing with the strings making sweepin sounds and messing with the volume and harmonics. He starts contorting the melody some more while the band follows.

8:Senate live version with Sax. The drums is on a louder vibe than the studio and its a different beat and its slightly reworked tempo and somebody comes in on a Korg keyboard solo while the Sax player plays the melody and Foley comes in and takes it to someplace else. Id play this one for Victor and Jef lee they would both be dyin to work with Foley. Then the sax comes in and takes it and the drummer starts flying off the handle while the sax is blowing.

9:This is a live version of "little davis" with wah wah guitar and keyboards and slap bass. This one is for the sitcom themes on UPN in the 22nd century. "Coming up the parker sisters get into trouble by accidently going into a KKK BBQ. Foley stops by and gives them a smart alec asswhooping. Dont miss it OOO yea" Or this track could be "Black Weather channel on jolt cola" Foley changes it up though with some funkier than funky wah wah and the drummer holds the groove. So then the saxophonist comes in "kenny Garrett" and of course he takes it. Foley lets him speak and he jams off that. Foley plays the dampened rhythm guitar while Kenny solos. The drummer starts swinging a little later on the ride cymbal with Kenny still jamming it up. The wah wahs come in and the melody is vamped out. Then Kenny stops and they play the recognizable melody.

10:This track is sample of some swing record and thats all I hear it. Unless Foley recreated a 40's Swing Jazz big band record. Maybe thats Foley on the electric bass playing along. Since duh they didnt have electric bass. haha or maybe thats my imagination thinking it could be a elec bass. Oh that Foley...

11. This track is Jay Dees "Playa" handclap loop and rhythm track reworked with sax and keyboard solo. Foley tweaks the synths he is playing along and bends the notes. The Dj cuts up the records.
This is tight Jay dee and quest would like this version.
Then the playa rhythm stops and goes into some slap bass figure with midi synth and live drums. Foley says "We are just gonna trip for a second" Foley starts funking it up on the bass and slaps the strings so hard you think they would snap and fly off into some audience members head. This is another reworking of what we call "Anthrax jam" which could be a Miles cover. The dj cuts up the record and Foley keeps thumping along to the record. The scratches are cutting up "So much better"
Then the keyboardist comes in on the midi flute sounds and plays a solo while Dj cuts up "YEA" and Foley keeps jamming with these cats slappin it loud occasionally. Foley is in texas on this one by the way. And Foley starts jamming on the bass doing harmonics while the dj is cutting up. Rizzy starts funking it up maybe on the "Miles Allblues" figure. Im not sure. Rizzy gets down on the drums and Foley continues thumping the bass strings attacking the air. And its ended

12:This track is some jumpy klezemer type gypsy sounding jam. With rhodes sax bass and drums. I dont recognize it but Jewish Weddings they could get down to this. Foley plays the fast gypsy figure on guitar while the sax plays along and rhodes comes in chiming then back to the jumpy klezmer. Cuz its tight like that

13:Foley is emceeing freestyling killing it while the drums and turntable and bass are ripping it. This track Roots fans would dig. He just keeps ripping it and RIZZ starts freestyling and it fades out because the cd is out of time. Damn hundalasillah.

Reaction :Mostly covers in a live setting. Foley's studio is the "Universe" and his transportation is "Smart Alec SpaceWays" He goes from Jackson 5,Fiona Apple,Led Zeppelin,Foley Originals,Temptations,Voodoo Chile,

as a compilation this is some great work. It makes you want to get more "Smart Alec Music" Now people might criticize Foley for doing covers but they forget in the jazz tradition alot of cats wouldnt play originals and improv off pop songs and turn them into something else. AHH thats right. What you think Cherokee was Charlie Parkers? No thats Ray Noble which was a pop tune but he reworked it. Some artists would have a few but really it was all about reinterpetation kind of like what Hip hop is about as with Jay Dee and Madlib and RZA and Bombsquad and what have you.

I am going to give it a nine out of ten.

Terrence Trent Darby-WildCard Oct 2001

Jef L. Johnson-Hype Factory(2cd new solo!)Oct.

Jef Johnson/SonnyT/MichaelB-October 2001

Tomahawk:
Mike Keneally-Wooden Smoke Oct 2001

Wooten/Chambers-Just add Water Oct 23 2001

Ghostface Killah-Nov 2001

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it drops gonna stay in my sig til now. just check http://www.smartalecmusic.com for now.
One of the best original designed sites out. He is the CEO you know of Smart Alec Music. Bugs Bunny is the Vice Prez and Marvin The martian is in charge of A&R while Yosemite Sam handles the southwest division of Smart Alec. Daffy Duck and Foghorn Leghorn are leaders of the street team. Its a family thang.

Tonex-Oxygen (early 2002! yea I know September has been moved doh

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

as usual all hip hop albums subject to change.

Au80: the Gold Standard in Hip Hop and R&B.
10-12 PM CST

http://kanm.tamu.edu

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it dro

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Miles:Live
Oct 09th 2001
Herbie Hancock Tribute DC
Oct 09th 2001
RE: Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)
Oct 09th 2001
lifw without dat vol. 1, i mean
Oct 09th 2001
      Will set up something a tree
Oct 09th 2001
           RE: Will set up something a tree
Oct 09th 2001
stopstopstopstop
Oct 09th 2001
Vudu you got sum time
Oct 10th 2001
      yeah u need to set up that tree
Oct 10th 2001
      I would like to get
Oct 10th 2001
Oct 10th 2001
Oct 10th 2001
Cool who was first
Oct 10th 2001
      i'm sending a copy to bigfunk, and alek
Oct 10th 2001
      Cool Brandard did you read
Oct 10th 2001
           the other internet worlds i'll leave up to you
Oct 11th 2001
      i'll have some of that
Oct 10th 2001
cant wait f' mine
Oct 11th 2001
up
Oct 11th 2001
      Well Johnny we
Oct 11th 2001
      can i get in this
Oct 11th 2001
      sure by posting you do
Oct 11th 2001
           cool
Oct 15th 2001
      RE: Well Johnny we
Oct 11th 2001
           Yea I do vudu
Oct 12th 2001
                no cd burner
Oct 12th 2001
      a list of the tree
Oct 15th 2001
           sounds good
Oct 15th 2001
^
Oct 11th 2001
im in london too
Oct 12th 2001
i'm into a tree
Oct 12th 2001
its going to soon/Brandard uh...
Oct 12th 2001
wow
Oct 15th 2001
okay, so jef...
Oct 12th 2001
Vudu answers and sure
Oct 12th 2001
      RE: Vudu answers and sure
Oct 13th 2001
jef...
Oct 12th 2001
you have to click on news archives
Oct 12th 2001
      alek basically what brandard said
Oct 12th 2001
           alek was there for the intial post
Oct 12th 2001
                Just the Foley
Oct 13th 2001
***Tracklisting by Foley***
Oct 13th 2001
you need the fonts for the full effect
Oct 13th 2001
      i know right?
Oct 14th 2001
yo!!! sign me up for the tree!!!
SOULSIKE
Oct 15th 2001
RE: yo!!! sign me up for the tree!!!
Oct 17th 2001

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Miles:Live"
In response to Reply # 0

Second CDR review:Miles Live:47 minutes

Track 1:This is some atmospheric keyboards and sax Foley plays on the dampened rhythm guitar and Miles band just take it higher as time progresses . Kenny Garret starts talking loud on the sax while Foley is on the rhythm. Miles comes in and Foley picks up the pace uptempo funky on the rhythm guitar while theres some keyboard sounds that remind me of "Prince madhouse"type composition. But Foley is so in the pocket with Miles its crazy. Foley keeps playing that funky lick and then the bass player comes in and Kenny garrett comes in and he does his thing. We still on track 1 after 10 minutes. The keyboard does some kind of funky sweeps here n there using a phased sounding patch. He also uses some midi organ patch. Foley and Miles come back in and ride the groove. Then the bass player starts playing hyperspeed arpeggio run bassline over the funkychickenscratch that Foley is doing on the rhythm. Then they start wildly mutating their sections and stop and then the crowd cheers and they keep going . 15 minutes later its still going but changing like a motha on the bassline and the guy is just going crazy all across the board but keeping the rhythm on the bass. And Foley is still playing that mantra chicken scratch and Kenny Garrett is in Maceo Mode with the call n response funky mantra. The keyboardist is on some "mpls type early 80s soundin synth. Then 17 minutes its over. PolyrhythmicFoleyMilesGarretaladocious

Track 2:Starts out with a funky lowbassline and Miles and some soft percussion when appropriate band hits. Miles is on that cool vibe now and the band is just letting him speak. I recognize this track from Miles live around the world cd but not this version. Theres some soft organ sounds in the back and the band hits continue while Miles has a laid back conversation with them. He is probably saying "Dont you dig my band its funky right? I think so Would you like to see how tight they are. Check this out did you hear that hit? Yea I signaled that muthafucka. Now listen while they pay attention to me and dont speak over me. Because Im telling you I am the man with the horn not Chet Baker. MILES and watch Kenny is gonna talk now with me. Kenny what you got to say? "I got to say we are healing the world with our sounds and Im getting down with you. This is solid I think I got something to say to the world. Dont you sleep on me. Im a funky saxophonist. Give me my props now."Band what you got to say:WE agree and thats how the song goes on a jazzy funk and gospel vibe on the midi organ.10 minutes later its still going. Miles complimenting Kenny nicely when before it was all miles. The bassline is in the pocket on this band section stating the song good. Kenny sits down for a second and lets mr midi organ speak he says "I wish I had a real organ but those muthafuckas are hard to carry on european tour so forgive me I still will give you some churchness up in this place just listen. KORG you kinda funky for late 80s come on band come with me Im taking you THERE Hallejuah Miles what you think? Miles comes in and says "DAMN yea lets go to the big gates and play this right here Foley wanna come? Foley solo spot starts... "Yea I think I will Check it we can use Smart Alec Spaceways to go to heaven. Im digging this. You sit there Im the navigator. Now on your right is Eddie Van Halens house and over here is Mike Sterns house wave to him. Now hold onto your seatbelts cuz we headed into the galaxies. Dig this thats Marvin the martians Place. He wants to attack earth because he thinks were all morons. Aint that a bitch? Check it out lets zoom on outta here fellas let me kick it into hyperdrive. Here we go to the next dimension. Lets navigate thru these asteroid fields. Lets settle right here this is a good galaxy band what you think? Band ending altogether

Track 3:Some funky bassline and Korg Piano and some uptempo drums with Miles hitting it on few notes spaced out. This is a reworking of "Senate" The slap bass thump continues and Foley comes in on the rhythm guitar funkin it up few minutes later and they change it around and funk it. Foley then switches to the "Smart Alec" tone and bends a few notes for his solo and does a different solo again for Senate. Foley keeps bending the notes and gets funky with it while the keyboard and bass and drums plays the rhythm in the back. Foley is saying "If you gonna bomb other countries Im bombing yall" This is a very dope version as great as the other Senate reworking on "Life with no dat" its just a different color. You dig? And then It cuts off... Minus a point for that.

Track 4:Reworking of the senate with bass not as prominent. Midi trumpet vibe while Foley plays more in the backing. Band stops and goes into this quiet creeping groove while midi trumpet plays. Not sure why Miles aint playing the trumpet. The percussive rhythm is another focus on this version. Midi trumpet synth and Sax are the focus on this version. Not a fan of the midi trumpet synth think its rather cheap sounding. I think Korg made that sound in a half hour for a soundcard filler. The senate and the midi trumpet synth solos on this track

Track 5:Hendrix Hey Joe its not Foley its just a close out bad start alternate take. Its kinda cool to close it off like that.

So overall for the cutoff on the Senate and the midi trumpet synth solo and the fade on that I am going to have to give that a seven out of ten.

Tomahawk:

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it drops gonna stay in my sig til now. just check http://www.smartalecmusic.com for now.
One of the best original designed sites out. He is the CEO you know of Smart Alec Music. Bugs Bunny is the Vice Prez and Marvin The martian is in charge of A&R while Yosemite Sam handles the southwest division of Smart Alec. Daffy Duck and Foghorn Leghorn are leaders of the street team. Its a family thang.

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

10-12 PM CST

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 12:54 PM

2. "Herbie Hancock Tribute DC"
In response to Reply # 1

Tribute to Herbie in D 9 minutes

Track 1:Herbie classic rendition of "Chameleon. done on bassline and rhodes and clavinet and drums. This is a funky version and Foley just keeps hitting the bass nicely while the rhodes takes it. The drums are on some funky shuffle. The rhodes player is nice whoever he is. Foley keeps laying the groove on the bass and then the drummer does a little roll and then the rhodes comes back in. Im not good with instrumental names but this is all Herbie and Headhunter classics on this one.

Track 2: This is a rendition of "Butterfly "This is some funky slap bass and rhodes and on a uptempo on the drums for the first section. Then it goes to a chill "Rhodes"section and a snare roll and the rhodes melody floats to something else. Midi flute synth takes a solo section while the bass/rhodes and drums are funkin it up. Oh the bass on this is ill. and the drummer starts doing some hi hat taps while that bassline keeps it in the pocket and the rhodes follows the rhythm. Tight and then a sax player comes in and funks it up. Then the drummer changes the groove speeds it up and slows it down while the sax man keeps playing it. Rhodes comes back in over slow snare drumroll and ride cymbal hits. Then the drummer goes bezerk and goes faster and they keep playing the melody faster and faster.

Track 3:Slow grooving bassline with floating rhodes and the drummer is on some reggae beat but some polyrhythmic hits also. Im not sure what this is but I recognize it since I have most of herbie cept for a few albums. The vibe of this cd is the most mellow and chill except for the drum hits here n there.

Track 4:Another from the headhunters era. Since I never look at tracklistings on instrumentals hardly on stuff like this I couldnt tell you what it is. Just that its from that Mike Clark/Herbie/Bennie Maupin era. These people are talking about crap in the background. Foley should smack him with his bass. Thats what Id do. "Dont be talking when Im playin eat ya shit and shut ya trap" Rhodes/Slap bass/funky drums ...the usual... Headhunters.

Track 5:Quick sped up jazz fusion take on another Herbie tune Thank god Foley isnt "Touch of jazz" productions. I think Id go crazy. Foley funks it up with rhodes man. Unless Foley plays the keyboards. They also quote "Parliament Do that Stuff" I think.. I could be wrong because its only for a second.

Track 6:Bassline starts a funky quick bassline and the kickdrum hits da floor while they gettin funky in the house.Drummer after 30 seconds hits the ride cymbal and they continue that funky mantra. Herbie would say "Deez cats be listening" I recognize this track and the drummer kicks it off and away dey go. Rhodesman is on point and you can hear somebody in the crowd say "GODDAMN! " My sentiments exactly...then they switch it up and the drummer starts hitting the kickdrum a little faster. They keep going the drummer on a rimshot and the saxman comes in and he takes it on the solo. This is hellafied cool as they say in Oakland. Theres also some crazy tight synth solo a little bit later. I think I heard this off the Herbie Live Flood album too. These people be squawkin on the quiet moments right about now this is when Id take my synth and swing it on the cord and bat a few loudmouths with it"did you come to hear some music or mack to ladiez SHUT the eff up!" 10 minutes later they still going and the saxman comes in again. I think the drummer is hitting his kickdrum over and over as if to say "Shut ya muthafuckin ass up"

Track 7:I think this is version 2 of track 1 maybe Set 2 where they play the same list of familiar 70s Herbie Tunes. This is slap bass and drums and rhodes they dont seem to be caring that much cuz these MOFOS aint listening and that must get frustrating after a while. I dont blame them by this time Id take the sax and start klunking fools on the head "If you dont listen Im just gonna play any ole thang " (KLUNK)

Track 8:Butterfly version 2 these people recognize it. Some cat says "Damn this is da jam" This version is more sax driven its a cool version. Theres also cool bass vamp with rhodes/sax on this version. I like it

Track 9:I think this particular band in spots likes messing with the people and wake them up instead of giving them their concentration. The drummer I think likes to play tricks on the people and if they dont shut up he gets louder in sections and then they gotta clap. Id do that too.

Track 10 another version of the previous set somebody yells "why dont they fuckin go home "thats ghetto I say kick da bitch out and she can go home.

track 11:Another version of a track off the previous set maybe. These people never shut up this is like the wooten shows I have. Slap bass/ drums and light rhodes are groovin mostly. These guys are probably wanting to go home right about now. Theres a midi synth moog sounding solo on this track that is pretty cool. The drummer is in a cool groove. This midi synth solo is jamming. Someone says "Whats wrong with that" I dunno but whatever it is it got to be funky (james brown voice) thats what I would say

Then its over. Overall this herbie tribute is cool. Had the crowd been more responsive the drummer I think would have been more focused and Foley would have given more energy but its a cool set of Herbie Renditions. What they should have done is if they played "Watermelon Man" . I am gonna give this a seven out of ten because I like most of it but I wish the band could have gotten some reaction so the drummer would stay on point.

seven out of ten

thanks for reading.

As you can see :Life without dat Vol 1. is most favorable.
Although Miles live does come in close but theres a few hangups that got me on that one.
Herbie Tribute comes in last because the crowd is bunk and they stick to playing some known Herbie Tunes.

Foley in alot ways is like Jaco. There was a genius musician who didnt fit the "Jazz fusion" world and he "acted and dressed" different. THEY both did covers from different sides of the music world. They both were experimenters and they both had their legendary connection. Jaco with Weather Report and Foley with Miles. Now as far as music comparisons thats night n day but Foley is inventive and definitely innovative at what he does. Whatever that music might be described as. I thank him for the chance of letting me hear this for free nonetheless. I look forward to hearing more Foley archives and projects as time goes on. Yea today was a good day.

Thanks for reading...

Stay tuned for reviews on
Victor Wooten live lp
Jef lee Johnson Hype Factory
Mike Keneallys new one
and whatever else I get this month.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 12:57 PM

3. "RE: Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)"
In response to Reply # 0

so uh... how can i hear this? peace
-b

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

VU THE DU!!!

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at FRAGGLE ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 12:58 PM

4. "lifw without dat vol. 1, i mean"
In response to Reply # 3

VU THE DU!!!

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 01:13 PM

5. "Will set up something a tree"
In response to Reply # 4

so we can get a tree going but the problem is this is 77 minutes and I think I only have 74 minute disc so I might need to buy a 80 minute cdr
Its a good archive live cd sampler to have THAT is for sure.

you still havent bought Sons of almighty shit damn mf ...

that album is tight for a debut group it put me in for a loop.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 02:31 PM

7. "RE: Will set up something a tree"
In response to Reply # 5

>so we can get a tree
>going but the problem is
>this is 77 minutes and
>I think I only have
>74 minute disc so I
>might need to buy a
>80 minute cdr
>Its a good archive live cd
>sampler to have THAT is
>for sure.

sounds good.

>you still havent bought Sons of
>almighty shit damn mf ...

i know, i know. but money is low and i think it's gonna go towards j.l.j's hype factory instead. i'll be looking out for that review of yours when it drops. peace
-b

VU THE DU!!!

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,

p_oz
Charter member
5545 posts
Tue Oct-09-01 02:28 PM

6. "stopstopstopstop"
In response to Reply # 0

I want to read, and since it's wonderful I want mine nooooow..

I was askin yesterday if I had any packages, when did FOley send yours, mine was like last week i think.

bah.

. : | p - o z | : .

p-oz

•- •-•• • –••-

www.p-oz.com

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 09:44 AM

8. "Vudu you got sum time"
In response to Reply # 6

Hype Factory is gonna be shipped to Amazon so my total cost was "18 dollars" for 30 songs. and thats CRAZY nice price they set for that.

But when we set up a Foley cdr tree I will have to include S.O.A. as well and Jefs import album "Communion" he did on a Japanese label. I will also send 2 hrs of demos I have on audio tape. But you should buy "blue" for like 4.99 used somewhere online when you get Hype factory cuz if you dont thats kind of I dunno you need "Blue "first.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:02 AM

9. "yeah u need to set up that tree"
In response to Reply # 8

if u need 80 min cdrs i can send some to you cuz i got a bunch here at work. but i really want to here some of these cdrs.

WHY U ALL AGGIE?

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:11 AM

10. "I would like to get"
In response to Reply # 8

all of the cats who skip by "Foley" post because they think im talking about some mc or what have you listen to this cat because I know alot cats on this board who would dig it who just zoom by this post. And thats the big hurdle how you get those cats "Smart Alec converts" on this board.

I still think he should be on Commons new album as a cameo or interlude 1 minute give him 1 minute of time some of his humor or something. Give him 1 minute soulquarians! 1 minute put him on a outro or something!

people would be saying "Who is dat Foley cat I never heard of him before"

I know alot music magazines would freakk if they knew the covers he covered and the styles and sounds he explored.

If I was Foley Id do a hip hop show of covers to see how he can rip it. He has flows and people would bug out watching him rework hip hop songs into orchestrated chamber gems. That freestyle should be made into a mp3 and put up on okayplayer.

And get DJ Logic on the 1 n 2s and see that would be a show.

D'angelo,Bilal,Sly STone,Prince,fans should listen to "Eazy Thangs" they would become converts to him as an artist. Thats a tight demo so raw on the guitars and vocals.
"Its Easy to be easy thangs to be just living your life loving fancy and free she can have her life cuz its not for me" I love that low vocal harmony part. That bridge is SOOOO killlin. And he is a tight lyricist storyteller.

I want to send Kashmir to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant they would say that is the most different cover of Kashmir they have ever heard I bet.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

dontabrv8
Charter member
136 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:29 AM

11. "RE: Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)"
In response to Reply # 0

please let me know if you get a tree going. i'd be interested. also about finding some other stuff from him.
-------------------------------------------------
everything i piss on is solid gold.

"A good laugh is a mighty thing, and rather too scare a good thing; the more's the pity... And the man that has anything bountifully laughable about him, be sure there is more in that man than you perhaps think for."

- Herman Melville, 'Moby Dick'

noahbird
Member since Jul 12th 2002
355 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: Foley: new Cdr's (reviews)"
In response to Reply # 11

I'd love to know when you get the tree going as well.

Thanks!

House Music Producer: Hit me up if you want to collaborate, always looking for vocalists:

https://soundcloud.com/cetch

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:47 AM

13. "Cool who was first"
In response to Reply # 11

I think it was Vudu for foley Cdr.

So we start the tree like that and brandard could start on someone else you gotta pass it around though its like a great "Sampler" for things to come. This will be interesting to see where all over the world we can connect this.

I just had a thought the miles alumni type fans they would be interested in this maybe I will post a message on that board about the foley CDR.

I wanna reach 500 people in 4 months lets see if we do it.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "i'm sending a copy to bigfunk, and alek"
In response to Reply # 13

maybe if we made a list of people on the boards at least

i'm sending a copy to each one of them so i guess they could send one to the next on the list, etc.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 06:44 PM

15. "Cool Brandard did you read"
In response to Reply # 14

What Foley said? IT seems like he has alot of studio material but he cant let anybody have it because of legal tanglements over the name.

Mojazz had him working on a cd in 1994... already off the release of a album they didnt promote on another one. Thats kind of bugged logic.

It makes you wonder how many albums he completed til up to 2001

The story of Kashmir cover I never would have guessed that.

Yo that Freestyle should be put on a mixtape that shit is so ON how he passes the mic to his drummer and he starts emceein.

you know what I thought of this cool idea we should send a cdr to "Sounds accepted eclectic" and tell him to play some covers off it"

I think possibly "Kashmir" one...would be the best choice since its cleared for copyright.

I really think Foley and his cover angle is gonna get him alot of fans or at least a substantial amount because of his flexibility in different music genres. Then plus his originals...

I think "THAT"cdr is gonna get alot people a big reaction if we spread it to people who we think will dig it.

Like the prince world.. oh man thats one world for the musician types and the p-funk world who like creative avant side of it and the jazz fusion miles world..

I actually think listening to that CDR it could be a cult item if sent to some cool radio shows.

somebody should make a mp3 of the "Playa" reinterpetation for the jay dee fans just so they get that side of "Foley" post the link on here.

Little Davis" is such a theme for a radio show or bumper music in between breaks THAT is just calling out to be used. Id like to get somebody to use that for some talkradio show. And the version they do from 94 is just too funky with the wah wahs whats crazy is the cat is doing a smooth jazz track but he can play that twacked out shit like "Senate" and there was NOBODY like him at the mojazz festival lol

Did you read the news update also?

That says it all for me this week whats going on in this world.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 04:17 AM

17. "the other internet worlds i'll leave up to you"
In response to Reply # 15

i only post here, but i know you get around.

but yeah i think its a hardcore funk fans wet dream. Not only is it funky and edgy but noone has heard it, with enough word of mouth the album could really get around.

*****Rename Brandard Contest 2001******

well its time for me to get a new name, since this one has become false. I used to go to Brandeis, but now i got to Rutgers. oops.

so hit my inbox with a suggestion and i'll put it in my sig so people can vote on it, then on Veteran's Day i will unveil the new name.

suggestions so far:
1)gradual
2)keep Brandard dumbass its been your name for over a year
3)....

pizzawastedisposalunit
Charter member
923 posts
Wed Oct-10-01 10:40 PM

16. "i'll have some of that"
In response to Reply # 13

if possible.
that sh*t sounds wild.

let me know, anybody, if the tree gets going.
i'm in london.

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 04:55 AM

18. "cant wait f' mine"
In response to Reply # 0

Much love,
Kyle

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 07:42 AM

19. "up"
In response to Reply # 18

so i guess vudu and alek are sending the next cd's out. am i correct? who is next on the list. we need to make one if there isn't one

WHY U ALL AGGIE?

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 08:16 AM

20. "Well Johnny we"
In response to Reply # 19

need to get somebody with CDR connections everytime so we can keep it going. Probably Vudu then whoever responds next in line to the post we keep it going. I gotta get a friends cdr and see if I can burn it at his house since the only one i know is my dads and I dont want to mess with his computer.

Im gonna branch it off the Prince list because theres a minor fraction of Foley fans there as well from his debut album.

yo this goes out to anybody who branches this:

put in boldfacetype:Smartalecmusic.com

so they know... whats up and where it came from.

I bet you we can get this to all the way to japan for the people dying for some Foley.

will print the track notes too.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

TrickyKid
Charter member
2932 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 10:49 AM

21. "can i get in this"
In response to Reply # 20

tree by any chance? Ill water it if needed (or trade if you prefer).

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 11:34 AM

22. "sure by posting you do"
In response to Reply # 21

But when I send it you gotta get the branch from somebody else so like when I send it to the first person who responded then that cat has to follow thru.

I will let you know but your link is pizzawasted. Dig?

and as far as the european cats maybe we can get it over there for somebody who wants to branch it out over there.

Im gonna also get radio shows interested in this homemade sampler that I think would be interested in it since there isnt anything like out like THIS.

But until then I got a idea to draw out more people who might want something like this:

Maybe I can put up a mp3 of the Slum Village cover Playa/Jam to get these jay dee fans interested. Lets see if I can get my audio working on my computer. We gonna mess with their heads yall.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

pizzawastedisposalunit
Charter member
923 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 12:39 AM

42. "cool"
In response to Reply # 22

and i ready and waiting, whenever it occurs

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 11:36 AM

23. "RE: Well Johnny we"
In response to Reply # 20

Probably Vudu
>then whoever responds next in
>line to the post we
>keep it going.

sounds good. you get the inbox with my address? peace
-b

VU THE DU!!!

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 04:51 AM

27. "Yea I do vudu"
In response to Reply # 23

Will get this out to everybody cuz like I said Foley is a genius.

I think he is perfect for the 21st century the more doubters the better.

I can get people who dont even know what music he does to get into him.

We gotta get a copy to Questlove to Jay Dee to Common then to other artists who would pass it around in those circles.

Imagine if Sly Stone came out and wanted to be on Smartalecmusic.com label haha

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 09:42 AM

28. "no cd burner"
In response to Reply # 27

:'(

but these shits is fonkay

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

pizzawastedisposalunit
Charter member
923 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 03:32 AM

43. "a list of the tree"
In response to Reply # 19

so far on this post:

vudu
johnny
dontabru8
noahbird
pizzawastedisposalunit
urbancowgrrrl
trickykid

so... each person needs to mail the previous person their addresses, or each person needs to mail the subsequent person to let them know once they're ready to send the disc on.

lemmeno anybody if you have a clue. trickykid you'll be next in line after me (or vice versa), us being in the uk, yeah?

however it happens, i'm looking forward to it.

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 10:20 AM

44. "sounds good"
In response to Reply # 43

so its going to vudu then i'm next cool. i got cdr's and a burner so i can burn a lot of stuff and i get cdrs and shipping free from my job. so i can start the other trees(jeff lee, prince, soa) off and send a blank cdr with it too. jeff vudu or anybody email me permanent_amnesia@yahoo.com concerning this

WHY U ALL AGGIE?

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Thu Oct-11-01 03:10 PM

24. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

TrickyKid
Charter member
2932 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:13 AM

25. "im in london too"
In response to Reply # 24

so i could get it to/from pizza. Foley sounds ill.

pizzawastedisposalunit
Charter member
923 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:36 AM

26. "i'm into a tree"
In response to Reply # 0

and wouldn't mind being a branch myself
- please holla if it gets growing

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 09:47 AM

29. "its going to soon/Brandard uh..."
In response to Reply # 26

So uh hold tight we can get alot Uk people into Foley as well.

They wont know what hit them.

Brandard lets start a okayplayer cdr club the one rule is when it comes to your turn you must contribute something either live or rare or an album which you like. So when it comes around you can either pass or go. Either contribute blank discs or music to be fair to the people who dont have anything to contribute.

Like Brandard would do a Word CDR/or some logic or what have you

And I might contribute Victor Wooten 3cdr to that tree or Steely dan live show off a soundboard from 93 St. Louis or maybe Jef lees import album.

and so n so might contribute what have you....

Whatever the trick is to keep it going every week.

Technically Foley has started hasnt he? so it should be NAMED....

Its the OkaySmartalec music club.

I bet you we could get alot worldwide members. It will be crazy to see how many things we can put on this list it will be like Renegade Columbia House except we shippin outta bogota and not based in da states wit da product!

Jef L. Johnson-Hype Factory(2cd new solo!)Oct./Nov

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

pizzawastedisposalunit
Charter member
923 posts
Mon Oct-15-01 12:30 AM

41. "wow"
In response to Reply # 26

i posted the same thing twice on two seperate occaisions.
i'm too keen for my own good.

trickykid, we should definitely pass this music onto each other for sure.

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 12:55 PM

30. "okay, so jef..."
In response to Reply # 0

could you include sons of almighty in that tree? i really want to hear that. and by the way, when i ordered hype factory, it wasn't a double cd. it only had the first disc stuff. so did you get a special offer, or are they not giving us all the info? it would be dope beyond comprehension if it is double, but it's all the same to me putting down the 16 bucks for the one disk. just curious if you know anything about that, cuz i don't think it's double for my order, despite your tracklisting. peace
-b

VU THE DU!!!

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 05:12 PM

34. "Vudu answers and sure"
In response to Reply # 30

Okay amazon doesnt have the complete listing but if you see it says "2cd" in the description. Now pricing a cd set like this means they will probably break even but thats how cool Jef is. THAT price is right listed in the database.
anyways you got some time til that comes they still havent shipped mine I think Dreamedia is sending it to them as we speak.

So basically the 2cd set is there in tact just like any other version.

Well I will send you some Jef stuff you dont have to get you acquainted but its better you get the used album of "Blue" because its nice packaging and its only 5 dollars online scattered thruout the net in various outlets. And yea I will send you SOA since you cant afford it now.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 12:57 PM

37. "RE: Vudu answers and sure"
In response to Reply # 34

thanks so much, jef. much appreciated! peace
-b

VU THE DU!!!

you wanna be down? watch some fraggle rock. take some notes. now THAT'S gangsta!

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 03:20 PM

31. "jef..."
In response to Reply # 0

...where/how did you get them in the first place?

I couldn't find or see anything on the website.

Alek

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 04:16 PM

32. "you have to click on news archives"
In response to Reply # 31

but apparently Foley had been lurking and he saw the latest "Where's Foley" thread by jef.

somebody saw him live and posted about the website, on it was Foley saying that he wanted us okayplayers to get his stuff some called out by name(myself, jef, urbancowgirl, aja i cant remember the rest)

anyway he sent us the stuff, which i am sending out to you monday morning

enjoy

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 05:02 PM

33. "alek basically what brandard said"
In response to Reply # 32

But the story goes back close to a year a question of "Wheres foley"

and i found out where he was. I thought he had gone the way of "Jaco" wandering the streets in delirium. (You never know)

Basically after 200 posts made and various people asking where they could get his album and a few people who even had it including angieee. Foley told his story and said he was working on getting out of his legal intanglements because of his dealings with other labels. He told us about the forthcoming album and told us about his wish for his own music label imprint.

He is a serious cat he was on George Clintons last solo album,Miles last albums,Mint Condition,Lenny White and he recorded pieces of his only solo album in Paisley Park. But he didnt have too much record appearances for his distrust in record companies.

But if I could try to classify him you just cant.

Then last month we found out Foley's site and this week he sent a live cdr from his archives of various live trax to show what he does on stage in any given night. and it was just crazy. CRAZAY arrangements and brilliant musicianship

Needless to say he would be checked by alot more if he gives the go ahead and lets us Tree this live cdr which he did. So now we are going to run it all around the world just to get people that chance to get somebody for free this time. I think the reaction will be one of shock and "WTF who is this cat I want his new album!" Hopefully we can help Foley with his label this way. I have several links/connections to get this around the world and if we print the web address imagine how many people will hit it and check it out.

and you become more in awe when you read the liner notes he sent of what the details of that particular live date were.

He is slept on but he has "SOMETHING" about him that alot of people would dig.

I wonder what an artist "Foley" thinks of himself after all these years because he can play music all over the map. If I was band member Id be "INTIMIDAT-ED" ha...

If Hendrix Jaco and Marvin Gaye and Eddie Hazel so forth were alive they would be like "Man I want Foley on my sessions" There isnt a doubt in my mind. He has it like dat.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Fri Oct-12-01 06:39 PM

35. "alek was there for the intial post"
In response to Reply # 33

hey jeff you are just treeing the foley right?

the email made it sound like the live stuff shouldnt really get distributed.

peace

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 07:54 AM

36. "Just the Foley"
In response to Reply # 35

But I suggested he should sell the Herbie Tribute when he had interest in his projects for like 10 dollars on his site.

Brandard go to amazon and order "Hype Factory"

its only 18 dollars with tax and its 30 songs 2 cds.

be sure to get "Blue" used as well in the zshop.

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 04:27 PM

38. "***Tracklisting by Foley***"
In response to Reply # 0

knowing a lil bout foley..i'm sure he'd want y'all to know this shit

just have fun "following it"

:D

Here goes :
" Life .......without the Dat "
( Info )

“10 & 2” Party !! ( '99 ) 3rd Annual
TRK.5 "Chris' Joint"

TRK.13 "Vibes"

TRK.. 7 "Y.U.A." ('98)

Story :

Chris Dave is a "Genius" …..PERIOD. He'd turned 26yrs old & I’ll let his Drumming tell the rest of the story!! "10 yrs. & 2" days apart, He & I .....
( Nov 6th & 8th ) We pick a City…. to play every year! 4 hours skrait.

"Personnel" on said Trks. above :
Chris Dave - Drums
Lance Ellison- Guitar
Joe"Blow"Crump- Tenor ('99)
Vince Evans - Keys?
B.H.B. - 1200's
Foley - '73 Jazz bass

Really “Unplugged” ( Live @ the Metro, Chicago 2000/June )

TRK.6 "Fiona"?

Story :

Sometimes….I just feel like “ Trimmin’ Da FAT ”!! When I do my "Acoustic Set" ,
I always have just a Snare , a Floor Tom (4 da Kick) & a Splash Cymbal !

Big Fund raiser event called "the Last Waltz" featuring alot of Old Rock-n-Roll folks like
Bun E. Carlos , dude from Husker Du, Levon Helm etc. "Rizzy" & I went on right before the 1st intermission ..... (just the both of us) Dressed the way WE do , people were like : "Who's the Rappers?" since they didn't know Me from Adam....
( Er'body ain't as hip as Y'all )

I wanted to bust my "New" Shit! But, I thought about it..... ( Nah )
So, I did a song I didn't "own"'......Legally. ( to avoid complications )
and the rest is History! ( I guess ? ) J
Sad Note * "Rizzy" was buried 1 yr. to the Day, of that Nite.
(He died from gunshot wounds )

Personnel:
"Rizzy" - Snare,Floor Tom & Splash
Foley - 12 String Acoustic & Voice

“Live” In Europe ’97 ( Berlin )
TRK. 4 "ABC"

Story :

Just like “Trading Places” I made a “DOLLAR” bet with Kenny Garrett ( who played sax in Miles’ band ) that I could take ALL LOCAL musicians , & pull it Off! Kenny got “PISSED” when I told em’ he was a guest in his “OWN” band! I told him that U shouldn’t need “NAME BRAND” cats , 2 make MUSIC !! It Was “RUFF” in Spots, ‘cause I only had one Soloist : ( barely) …. Joe Blow on tenor !

"Don't Smoke Hash in the Winter months & try to Sing"...... ( Not Wise )
other than that ..... the "vibe" was there.

Paris & Nice ‘ 98
TRK..1 "You're Under Arrest"
TRK..8 "The Senate"
TRK..12 "The Penguin" ( 1937 ) hip-hop
Story :
Back to Europe…. Chris Dave was supposed 2 do the tour, but got jammed up with "Mint Condition" …..So , I took Michael Bland instead !
( It worked out , aiiiight! )

Personnel:
Michael Bland - Drums
Lance Ellison- Guitar
Joe"Blow"Crump- Tenor ('99)
Vince Evans - Keys
Foley - '73 Jazz bass

"Easy Thangz" ('99)

Story :
This was "ONLY A TEST" !!!!
Originally to see if "All of my Gear" was workin'. I listened to it again one day.. & it sounded so Fuckin' RAW , I left it alone.
I just played Everything Live. ( Drums ,Guitar, Bass & Voices )

and.....

“Kashmir" ('93)
TrK.3

Story :

Back in '93 "Chaka Khan" & I were goin to record "Kashmir"

for her next CD. ( it's the same Tracks)

Tryin' to keep shit movin' ...... tryin' not to be late for a "Jungle Bros." rehearsal / ("Fish" was on drums) PLUS tryin' to mix Kashmir this is "THE MIX" that was supposed to go on "Lenny White's" CD!

I didn't speak to "LennyWhite" for a Year & a half , over that shit....!!

I'm glad we worked that shit out .

Personnel:

Lenny White- Snare & Hi-Hats

Nick Moroch-Guitar

Don Blackman -Clavinet

Danny Walsh - Alto

Foley- Bass, Fender Rhodes, Organ ,String ensemble, Drum programming

Voices & Original Concepts

“Mojazz Nite?" ('94)

TRK.9 "Little Davis"

Story :

"Two days of fun & Music"....??
Eric Reed , Norman Brown etc.

????
So , I couldn't back out on Steve McKeever , I through a Band together.
( Thankx to "Nard' & Kenny" )
I was the 2nd nite Closing act.
How U gon' lose wit "Bernard Wright & Kenny Garrett" ???

Personnel:
Troy Jones- Drums
Kevin Oliver- Guitar
Nick Smith- Keys
Kenny Garrett - Alto
& "Bernard Wright" on Keys
Me on Bass

“Kalamazoo" ('94)
Story :

Just another "Interlude" from the 2nd CD for Motown . ( that I didn't turn in )

"Y.U.A" ( Jan. 2000 )
TRK.11
Story :

My man "Bobby Sparks" ( Kirk Franklin Prod.)
came up & rocked Keys that Night !
Wit my dogg "Rizzy" (r.i.p.) on drums.

Personnel:
Rizzy - Drums
Bobby Sparks- Keys
Joe "Blow" Crump- Sax
B.H.B. - 1200's
Me on Bass

FOLEY
Live " Tribute to Herbie "??

We're all Smoked out .....
Everybody "Knew" the Tunes .......
So , We started playin' them.
( then ,WE All went to "Another" Club & Sat -In ??)

Personnel :
Chris Dave- Drums
Raymond Angry- Rhodes ( only)
Fred Pena~ ( flute synth only )
Kevi Levi- Alto
Me on Bass

Tunes Flipped:
Chameleon
Butterfly
Vein Melter
Actual proof
Mood Swings
Y.U.A. ( You're Under Arrest )

MILES "Live"
Trk. 1
July 4th,1987 Berlin

Personnel:
Ricky Wellman - Drums
Daryl Jones - Bass
Me on "Lead Bass"
Kenny Garrett - Alto
Bobby Irving - Keys
Adam Holzman - Keys
Mino Cinelu - Perc.

Trk. 2 & 3
July 19, 1991 Venice ( the Blues & the Senate )
Personnel:
Ricky Wellman-Drums
Richard Patterson- Bass
Deron Johnson- Keys
Kenny Garrett - Alto
Me on "Lead Bass"

Trk.4
Sept. 20 , 1988 ( The Senate w/ "Herbie" )
Personnel:
Ricky Wellman-Drums
Benny Riteveld-Bass
Adam Holzman-Keys
Bobby Irving - Keys
Marilyn Mazur - Perc.

Trk. 5
Jimi ...... who Else ??

*Disclaimer ( like a Muhfucka )

All of this music is being sent to Y'all 'cause I think U guys know enuff
about music to "Listen with your ears" , not your Pens ( & Pads)

The "NEW" ( studio ) stuff will get released for sell.

Much love,
Kyle

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, use the handy private message button

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Sat Oct-13-01 04:31 PM

39. "you need the fonts for the full effect"
In response to Reply # 38

it must take him hours to write an email, im amazed

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Sun Oct-14-01 10:39 PM

40. "i know right?"
In response to Reply # 39

aka up

much love,
Kyle

Even a Dollar can HELP..

SOULSIKE

Mon Oct-15-01 07:54 PM

45. "yo!!! sign me up for the tree!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Foley, Miles, SOA, y'all making me lose my mind.

who's next????

soulsike

"The genius isn't gone, he just buried it." jefflee

jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Wed Oct-17-01 12:15 PM

46. "RE: yo!!! sign me up for the tree!!!"
In response to Reply # 45

Up it goes to live another day dunn dunnn

Tomahawk:

10-12 PM CST

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32421 Previous topic | Next topic