Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32205

Subject: "Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post"

when it comes on, this is the post to reply to. can't wait! peace
-b

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

the last thing i need in my life right now is death

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It says a lot about Mos
Oct 24th 2001
RE: It says a lot about Mos
Oct 24th 2001
thx for reminding me.
Oct 24th 2001
black on both sides material so far...
Oct 24th 2001
fuc that
Oct 24th 2001
RE: fuc that
Oct 24th 2001
kweli's got
Oct 24th 2001
RE: kweli's got
Oct 25th 2001
what did I miss???
Oct 24th 2001
ya'll are tripping
Oct 24th 2001
Pretty much the same show I saw
Oct 24th 2001
tight performance
Oct 24th 2001
RE: Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post
Oct 24th 2001
did he do "Blackman?"
Oct 24th 2001
LOL
Oct 24th 2001
No more Jay-Dee accusations!!!!
TheWallyChamp
Oct 24th 2001
Oct 24th 2001
live
Oct 25th 2001
nice!
Oct 24th 2001
tow questions..
Oct 24th 2001
Oct 25th 2001
I was feelin it
Oct 25th 2001
Who Taped It?
Oct 25th 2001
if my dad remembered.
Oct 25th 2001
WooHoo!
Oct 25th 2001
I taped it
Oct 25th 2001
Come over and watch it...
Oct 25th 2001
      RE: Come over and watch it...
Oct 26th 2001
           RE: Come over and watch it...
Oct 26th 2001
Respect for Kweli
Oct 25th 2001
Oct 25th 2001
Ghetto was garbage
Oct 25th 2001
my thoughts...
Oct 25th 2001
@@@@-1/2
Oct 25th 2001
obviously, the band's tight
Oct 25th 2001
Ghetto...that track was hot..
Oct 25th 2001
RE: Ghetto...that track was hot..
Oct 25th 2001
      War....
Oct 25th 2001
           RE: War....
Oct 25th 2001
little t & 1 track mike...
Oct 25th 2001
for some reason...
Oct 25th 2001
the difference is...
Oct 25th 2001
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oct 25th 2001
      stage antics are annoying....
Oct 25th 2001
Mos Def...
Oct 25th 2001
Mos did sound
Oct 25th 2001
the thing is...
Oct 25th 2001
      Towards the end yeah...
Oct 25th 2001
when? where? how?
Oct 25th 2001
reverb on hbo...
Oct 25th 2001
      i dint think of that...reruns!!!!!!
Oct 25th 2001
Reverb was aight
Oct 25th 2001
i NEED a copy
Oct 25th 2001
FUCKKKKK, I MISSED IT!!!!
Oct 25th 2001
it showed...
Oct 26th 2001

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It says a lot about Mos"
In response to Reply # 0

that folks are giving this much energy to something they haven't heard at all, or have heard very little about. that early post about Black Jack Johnson had a good number of hits. It shows that Mos has a lot of value to urban music fans right now if folks have opinions, good or bad, regarding this. My VCR is ready to roll....

just on the strength of the name he's got me. Jack Johnson was a revolutionary brother that more people should know about.

Oh yeah, and don't over analyze y'all.....just watch....it's art not politics....give the man credit for being creative and against the grain....that's pretty rare today...

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 01:06 PM

2. "RE: It says a lot about Mos"
In response to Reply # 1

it is amazing this much energy is being put on this, but i'm happy about that. i just had a praise-mos def post the other day that had about thirty hits. then the one today has quite a few. i just hope with this much attention on it, he pulls it off. but if he doesn't, fuck it. i'm still one of his biggest fans regardless, because i've already seen just how amazing he can be.

>Oh yeah, and don't over analyze
>y'all.....just watch....it's art not politics....give
>the man credit for being
>creative and against the grain....that's
>pretty rare today...

he'll definitely get his credit from me, whether i like what i hear or i don't. in concept alone, this is great. and i'm glad about the name thing. maybe turn some people on to some history. peace
-b

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 01:10 PM

3. "thx for reminding me."
In response to Reply # 0

i sit alone in my 4 cornered bathroom taking a dooooo doooooo(c)totally insane

Heit
Charter member
6159 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:06 PM

4. "black on both sides material so far..."
In response to Reply # 3

with a "rock edge" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sticking with the tried and true ......

----------------------------------------
Dj Farenheit. . . I love fur

------------

My Texture is the best Fur:

www.DjFarenheit.com

and this is my first sig EVER:

"Yep, Stuff was stretched out like a research monkey on the floor."

Vivrant
Charter member
8151 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:19 PM

5. "fuc that"
In response to Reply # 0

that kweli joint was fire!

"i moan like a whore in my sleep"-effa_mainstream

everybody! make me talk to you: AIM: bcalle4042

THEJAWN.COM'S OCTOBER BEAT OF THE MONTH YOU UGLY ASS SISSIES:
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/botm1001.ram
Produced by Eccentric

MY ALBUM: http://www.mp3.com/wordy
FEATURED IN URB MAGAZINE ISSUE #88
READ THE REVIEWS!
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=15538&forum=lesson&archive=yes

THE REMIX ALBUM FEBRUARY.

The Words - Audible Silence
coming soon to mp3.com

Heit
Charter member
6159 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:20 PM

6. "RE: fuc that"
In response to Reply # 5

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------
Dj Farenheit. . . I love fur

------------

My Texture is the best Fur:

www.DjFarenheit.com

and this is my first sig EVER:

"Yep, Stuff was stretched out like a research monkey on the floor."

thatguy07
Charter member
1401 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:44 PM

7. "kweli's got"
In response to Reply # 5

mad energy live. his voice is almost totally different cuz you can tell he's doing it at the top of his lungs. the new song was ill. that little interview segment in between made him look so much more articulate than mos. he was talking a mile a minute and you could hear every consonant and everything. and mos killed it, too. the "war," "ghettos," and the rockified "got" were all great. and that little thing he did about money and stuff.

--
"you know I had 'Steal this Album' at a party and some motherfucker stole it?" -- 5thcolumn on the coup and their albums

aisha
Charter member
1012 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:31 AM

28. "RE: kweli's got"
In response to Reply # 7

generally, i think kweli is more articulate than mos. at times he seems more verbose while mos seems more thoughtful, so its a double-edged sword or something...

Live From Tweak Central:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0lrq35
http://www.imeem.com/people/YHO-Yyq
www.myspace.com/drunkenmonkeee
www.wildleekworld.com
http://a-nerd-alert-creation.blogspot.com/
www.imeem.com/drunkenmonkeee
www.myspace.com/tweekcentral
w

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:56 PM

10. "what did I miss???"
In response to Reply # 5

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

analog2digital
Charter member
3597 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:45 PM

8. "ya'll are tripping"
In response to Reply # 0

The joints I just saw were GOOD! People were walking out on this stuff?!? Whatever, I'm ready.

Abbstrack
Charter member
24235 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 02:56 PM

9. "Pretty much the same show I saw"
In response to Reply # 0

at NJPAC in january..except mos had a bigger stage...im still impressed...and perhaps this will open that taboo passageway for blacks in rock as well as blacks listening to rock...it doesnt always have to be black artists to be good music

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness, I hear the ever approaching thunder, which will destroy us too. I feel the suffering of millions and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right, that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again. In the meantime, I must uphold my ideals, for perhaps the time will come when I shall be able to carry them out.
Yours, Anne" - Anne Frank from "The Diary of Anne Frank"

Darfur Sucks! Free Paris (Hilton)! - Don Cheadle

www.abdulsmith.com

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 03:07 PM

11. "tight performance"
In response to Reply # 0

i actually liked it better when i saw him live earlier this year. still dope nevertheless. i'm mad i missed the first 8 minutes. i wished they showed more of the performance instead of little mike(WACK).

i can admit that the band seemed a little off a few times but still nothing that i'm mad at. they're still experimenting and i'm Sure the final product will be worth the wait

colorful draws/bad whores on the weekend-raekwon

myth
Charter member
715 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 03:34 PM

12. "RE: Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post"
In response to Reply # 0

Yo I was feeling this(Mos and Kweli's performance). They both rocked them shits. Love that "Ghetto" joint and Kweli's new song. I'm surprised about the negativity given about Mos Def's venture, cause I thought it was ill. But to each his own.

Peace-One

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 03:46 PM

13. "did he do "Blackman?""
In response to Reply # 0

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 13

man when i read that in SPIN i couldnt help chuckling.

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

TheWallyChamp

Wed Oct-24-01 04:14 PM

14. "No more Jay-Dee accusations!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vudu posts about Mos Def just as much as I post about Jay-Dee. So either leave me alone (lol), or start rippin' on him too.

Kyle

"Yo...on The Amen, Corner I stood, lookin at my former hood. Felt the spirit in the wind, knew my friend was gone for good. Threw dirt on the casket, the hurt, I couldn't mask it
Mixin down emotions, struggle I hadn't mastered. I coreograph seven steps to heaven. And hell, waiting to exhale and make the bread leavened. Veteran of a cold war It's Chica-I-go for. What I know or, what's known. So some days I take the bus home, just to touch home. From the crib I spend months gone. Sat by the window with a clutched dome listenin' to shorties cuss long. Young girls with weak minds, but they butt strong. Tried to call, or at least beep the Lord, but didn't have a touch-tone
It's a dog-eat-dog world, you gotta mush on. Some of this land I must own
Outta the city, they want us gone Tearin' down the 'jects creatin plush homes. My circumstance is between Cabrini and Love Jones. Surrounded by hate, yet I love home. Ask my God how he thought travellin the world sound Found it hard to imagine he hadn't been past downtown. It's deep, I heard the city breathe in its sleep. Of reality I touch, but for me it's hard to keep. Deep, I heard my man breathe in his sleep. Of reality I touch, but for me it's hard to keep"--Common

Brooklynite
Charter member
1087 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 04:39 PM

15. "RE: Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post"
In response to Reply # 0

Show was cool, but nothing like the energy that I felt when i was there live. Overall, they cut out some other really dope shit that he did during the show but overall it was a dope performance. Thank god they chopped Res's ass out. Sorry okp's but i don't feel her at all. Kweli was tight too. His performance was on point and he's oh soooooooo articulate. Mom dukes thought Mos's performance of "Ghetto's" came off as contrived and I kinda thought so too while watching it tonight but I felt it that night.

***** The Sig *****
One year as a resident, deep in sentiment, they shout out GO BROOKLYN, they representin it - Dante Smith (guvment on full blast).

(Brook doesn't do stage names !!!)

((((( The Sig )))))
One year as a resident, deep in sentiment, they shout out GO BROOKLYN!! They representin it - Dante Smith (Brook doesn't do stage names).

I do this for the borough - me (eff that, Cam bit my steeze).

I'M A GIRL GOT DAMN !!! (now

Abbstrack
Charter member
24235 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 02:34 AM

20. "live"
In response to Reply # 15

you can definately get a better feel...i agree

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness, I hear the ever approaching thunder, which will destroy us too. I feel the suffering of millions and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right, that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again. In the meantime, I must uphold my ideals, for perhaps the time will come when I shall be able to carry them out.
Yours, Anne" - Anne Frank from "The Diary of Anne Frank"

Darfur Sucks! Free Paris (Hilton)! - Don Cheadle

www.abdulsmith.com

Vudu
Charter member
1785 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 05:08 PM

17. "nice!"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't have time to get in it, but the bottom line is i was NOT disappointed! thoroughly enjoyed it! that's all i can say right now. oh, can anyone make an mp3 from this show? peace
-b

donwill
Charter member
63558 posts
Wed Oct-24-01 05:17 PM

18. "tow questions.."
In response to Reply # 0

where can i get some black jack tracks..
and who is his sister..

the unemotional call me anti-social
-mf doom

www.donwill.substack.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 01:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "RE: Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post"
In response to Reply # 0

up

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 04:04 AM

21. "I was feelin it"
In response to Reply # 0

that performance was tight, who's the band again?

res->one

-----------------------

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 04:10 AM

22. "Who Taped It?"
In response to Reply # 0

And if so, are you willing to share?

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:16 AM

26. "if my dad remembered."
In response to Reply # 22

then i have a copy waiting for me at my parents house.

if you can wait a few weeks i'll send it out to ya.

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:26 AM

27. "WooHoo!"
In response to Reply # 26

Crossing my fingers for dad.

Spontaneous
Charter member
13812 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:28 AM

40. "I taped it"

Only thing its starts about 10 mins late..is there gonna be an encore cuz I can re-record it. Otherwise I'm in Bmore...hit me up at mailto:Spontaneousdj@aol.com

It takes years to become an overnight success...

**Listen Online Now** www.DJSpontaneous.podomatic.com

twitter.com/SpontaneousDJ

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:31 AM

41. "Come over and watch it..."

anytime. Just call first. Mi casa es su casa...

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 08:47 AM

54. "RE: Come over and watch it..."
In response to Reply # 41

I'll be over tomorrow night. Have some popcorn on hand.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 08:50 AM

55. "RE: Come over and watch it..."
In response to Reply # 54

I'll vaccum when I get home tonight...

Tariq3
Charter member
5461 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 04:13 AM

23. "Respect for Kweli"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to say that I have a new found respect for Kweli. I was very professional and he came nice on the MIC. I also appreciated the singers, that was unexpected, but a very good touch. I normally don't like his voice (it's like scrapping a chalk board), but his voice in the live performance was dope.

And that new joint...ohh me ohh my.....that was bangin'. Sounded like a Hi-Tek joint. All in all his performance was the high-light of the evening.

I enjoyed BJJ, but I can see that they will definitely need to work to make the sound more cohesive. I give Mos his props for stepping outside is comfort zone and pushing his voice. I got a kinda weird vibe though, like he wasn't into the performance a certain points and had to force himself back into it. Nonetheless, I think the group hold promise. Besides from the sound of the interview it sounds like they will probably only do one album.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You). ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except You). astaghfiruka (I seek Your forgiveness), wa atuubu ilaika (and I turn to You in Repentance).

------------------------------------------------------------
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You).
Ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be
worshipped except You). Astaghfiruka

Kev
Charter member
754 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 04:20 AM

24. "RE: Official Jack Johnson Reverb Post"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know about Black Jack Johnson.I wanted to feel them so much but it's not the case.Kweli killed it and that white dude was funny,doesn't give a fuck.

Non-believers get my dick and genitals backwards-Redman

One1

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:15 AM

25. "Ghetto was garbage"
In response to Reply # 0

otherwise Mos ripped it. Talib's new song was perfect, and he ripped it perfectly on beat.

DAT?

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

KD
Charter member
480 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:37 AM

29. "my thoughts..."
In response to Reply # 0

obviously, i thought "hip-hop", "got" and "umi says" were straight heat!...i dug his voice on "ghetto" (he even made the "good times" theme sound hot), but it appeared a little shaky during other stretches of the performance...i really didn't have a reaction to the other two joints, but once they refine things, i think they have a chance to put out some nice material...he's definitly shown that he has the versatility to adapt to other genres...if anyone can make it happen, it's him...as someone mentioned in the "is mos def crazy?" post, i think his motives will be a major factor in determining the project's success or failure though...peace!

sundasill
Charter member
13011 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:43 AM

30. "@@@@-1/2"
In response to Reply # 0

The sound was uneven and the first joint from JJ sounded like jumble.

Talib stock is up.
He slowed his flow,more control,delivery on point.WHere the fuck was Hitek.TV maine,TV.Connect that shit.

"To protect the sheep from the wolves you got to become a wolf yourself"-Denzel Wash.
:Cyber S0uL:Aaliyah R.I.P.
http://hometown.aol.com/sundasill2/sundasill.html

://CoMING SooN OkAyPeAs\\:
http://hometown.aol.com/sundasill2/okaypeas.html

http://sundasill.diaryland.com

Yall share dat- Badu
N E E KeeP Makin music

From this point, I vow to

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 05:53 AM

31. "obviously, the band's tight"
In response to Reply # 0

Mos's vocals re very uneven… and was his bass even plugged in on "Blackman"?

come to think of it, yeah… it was. he was carrying on the "dunna-dunna-dunna" line while Doug was doing his psycho-bass tricks.

1. Jag Wright sampler
2. Res - How I Do
3. Bill Laswell - Imaginary Cuba
4. King Tubby's - Dub Like Dirt
5. Brenda K. Starr - Petalos de Fuego
6. Will.I.Am - Lost Change

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 06:07 AM

32. "Ghetto...that track was hot.."
In response to Reply # 0

it was real tight. I was feelin that one alot. Hope that not too much is lost when they go from live on stage to the studio for their album. Hope they keep that same raw feel. Bernie Worrell is the man. If you taped it listen again to what he's doing back their....

lucifer
Charter member
633 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 07:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "RE: Ghetto...that track was hot.."
In response to Reply # 32

I thought so too, but I liked war a little better.

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ....Unknown

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail...

Get the fortune, forget the fame.

okayplayer formerly known as: wiz}>

"Your thoughts determine your actions. Your actions determine your habits. Your habits determine your character. And your character gives birth to your destiny." ...Unknown

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 07:35 AM

36. "War...."
In response to Reply # 34

I know that show was taped before 9/11. How timely was that verse Mos spits at the beginning of War....Played it back a few times....it's way on point...

Brooklynite
Charter member
1087 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 02:11 PM

50. "RE: War...."
In response to Reply # 36

>I know that show was taped
>before 9/11. How timely
>was that verse Mos spits
>at the beginning of War....Played
>it back a few times....it's
>way on point...

Show was taped at the end of July. Just thought i'd share. That song was relevant because that sore has been festering for a minute, it just took a lil to reach us right here. The acts of September 11th have been a long time coming.

***** The Sig *****
One year as a resident, deep in sentiment, they shout out GO BROOKLYN, they representin it - Dante Smith (guvment on full blast).

(Brook doesn't do stage names !!!)

((((( The Sig )))))
One year as a resident, deep in sentiment, they shout out GO BROOKLYN!! They representin it - Dante Smith (Brook doesn't do stage names).

I do this for the borough - me (eff that, Cam bit my steeze).

I'M A GIRL GOT DAMN !!! (now

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 07:16 AM

33. "little t & 1 track mike..."
In response to Reply # 0

their band was kinda dope. whoa! they played some of "spottyopidpawhateverthenameofthattrackwasicous"

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 07:33 AM

35. "for some reason..."
In response to Reply # 33

everybody cribs off SpottieOttie… Macy used to do it a lot when she first came out and someone else did it reently…

1. Jag Wright sampler
2. Res - How I Do
3. Bill Laswell - Imaginary Cuba
4. King Tubby's - Dub Like Dirt
5. Brenda K. Starr - Petalos de Fuego
6. Will.I.Am - Lost Change

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:22 AM

38. "the difference is..."
In response to Reply # 35

i didn't see macy do it.

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 09:19 AM

47. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
In response to Reply # 33

are you talking about little T the white boy with the one tuft of hair coming out of his bald head?

i havent seen the reverb but i have seen them live and they sucked big time.

they opened for DJ Logic in NYC this summer.

they have a song called "I need a friend to kick me in the ass"

hmmm what else was there from their "delightful" stage antics. i think he had his guitar player hit him over the head with a fake bottle.

its like emminem with a significant decrease in skills.

he and subconscious traded off the mike to open the logic show, he couldnt handle the second round, instead he just threw it out to the audience with some call and response.

god i had hoped he was just a fluke.

why? why? why?

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 02:15 PM

51. "stage antics are annoying...."
In response to Reply # 47

but if you get past that, the kids have some talent.

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 07:43 AM

37. "Mos Def..."
In response to Reply # 0

...should stick to rhyming and sing only over jazzy/hip-hop tunes. His voice doesn't fit a hard rock format. Why? There's no aggression in his voice. It's more sing-songy and most of all HE AIN'T SINGING!!!

No disrespect to him, but we should know our strengths and weaknesses.

I don't even need to mention Kweli. Yall basically said all that I wanted to say

It was good seeing the original drummer and the second bass player from Living Colour, but aren't they getting back together though? How is this going to work out?

I wonder why Mos got Bernie and not Weldon Irvine (the man who was playing the keys in the "Umi Says" video and who composed the songs that Tribe sampled for "Award Tour" and BDP "My Philosophy"). I guess Master Wel is too jazzy.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:23 AM

39. "Mos did sound"
In response to Reply # 37

pretty aggressive on Ghetto. But I respect your opinion. My thing is this, if Limp bizkit and all these other groups can get up their and holler like wild dogs then Mos could flex his vocal talents. Plus, it never hurts to have a band with such respected musicians in it. I mean Bernie is like the Thelonius Monk of the synth world...

thought it fit togethor real well...

I'm sure the album will have some jazzy sounding things on it...Bernie's arrangements could really take it anywhere they like...

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:32 AM

42. "the thing is..."
In response to Reply # 37

they were doing mos def songs, not jack johnson songs. "ghetto" or whatever the name of that song was was pretty aggressive. i expect their other material to be like that.

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:49 AM

44. "Towards the end yeah..."
In response to Reply # 42

But I'm like...eh.
I guess I'm used to Corey, Angelo, and Mike Patton's rawness on rock songs

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Golem_3
Charter member
1490 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:33 AM

43. "when? where? how?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alice: Which road do I take?
Cheshire Cat: Where do you want to go?
Alice: I don't know!
Cat: Then it doesn't matter which road you take.
~Alice in Wonderland

~the end was yesturday~
http://www.livetheatregang.com/shaquan_young.htm

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 08:50 AM

45. "reverb on hbo..."
In response to Reply # 43

go to hbo's website it will be shown several times. even if you don't have hbo, you can "visit" someone that does.

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 09:36 AM

49. "i dint think of that...reruns!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 45

-------------sig baby---------------------
aiight, eybody gi'on da ga'dlamblo! (c) Steve Harvey

Oh My God (c) Chandler Bing

Gimme a pound of your sweetest cheeba...(c) Sir Smoke-a-alot

Moodswing
Charter member
1017 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 09:10 AM

46. "Reverb was aight"
In response to Reply # 0

The show I peeped last year @ RIT was bananas...

(When I'm getting down in my zone I be rocking Bad Brains & Fishbone)

(Still building & I'm sensitive about my shit
www.elementzofsoul.net

www.scottstewartphotos.com

Donn L
Charter member
13902 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 09:35 AM

48. "i NEED a copy"
In response to Reply # 0

i couldnt record it. i'm stayin wit my cuzin for the moment and didnt have access to a vcr. called moms to dub it for me and of course she said ok but didnt. i saw the performance and absolutely loved it.

i got the ultimate trade for a copy of the performance. i been recording alota stuff this year and so far i got:

roots, nelly f, and outkast
roots in tibet
bilal-jay leno
e.badu-jay leno
common-soul train(Quest was there & black girl named becky)
tribe called quest-mtv
jay z-mtv
alicia keys-a couple of them
jill scott-oprah, wit moby, some'em else too
lenny kravitz
mos def-wayne brady
woodstock-sly stone, hendrix, all of'em
nikka costa-chris rock
lucy pearl-BET w/dawn
stevie wonder-snl in the 70s(just a li'part) living for the city

i got more but thats all i can remember
did anyone get Musiq on MTV2? i want that too!

I'll trade e'rything i got for a copy of the Mos and Kweli(u can leave out T and Mike). Same goes for anyone that got Musiq.

-------------sig baby---------------------
aiight, eybody gi'on da ga'dlamblo! (c) Steve Harvey

Oh My God (c) Chandler Bing

Gimme a pound of your sweetest cheeba...(c) Sir Smoke-a-alot

eloquince
Charter member
908 posts
Thu Oct-25-01 04:44 PM

52. "FUCKKKKK, I MISSED IT!!!!"
In response to Reply # 48

Will it ever come on again? My sister was glued to the tv so I didn't even remember yesterday.

"That's not America, that's not even Mexico!!!!" - Homer (the garbageman episode)

People assume you're smart. It's up to you to disprove. - Bryan Simms

always bending over backwards is a great way to make sure you wont be breaking any backs - The Champ

If you want to stay alive keep moving forward.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Oct-26-01 08:45 AM

53. "it showed..."
In response to Reply # 0

how much more talented and willing to experiment mos is than kweli.

how much mos was inspired by rage against the machine.

mos can (kinda) sing.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #32205 Previous topic | Next topic