Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #164236

Subject: "R.I.P. Frankie Knuckles :(" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
45RPM
Member since Jan 23rd 2014
285 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"R.I.P. Frankie Knuckles :("

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/03/frankie-knuckles-dead-at-59

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
WTF...RIP
Mar 31st 2014
Incredibly sad. RIP.
Mar 31st 2014
damn.
Mar 31st 2014
This shit got me real scared that Frank Knuckles died...
Mar 31st 2014
log off
Apr 01st 2014
      because I was concerned that a roots member died?
Apr 01st 2014
           no, because you're an asshole
Apr 01st 2014
                fair enough
Apr 01st 2014
R.I.P.
Mar 31st 2014
wow, I just started getting into deep house a few weeks ago
Mar 31st 2014
I AM IN MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Mar 31st 2014
Long Live The Godfather.
Apr 01st 2014
chicago tribune swipe
Apr 01st 2014
Boiler Room nyc set
Apr 01st 2014
chicago stand up.
Apr 01st 2014
NY is standing with yall
Apr 01st 2014
i heard him so many times.
Apr 01st 2014
whistlin on repeat. R.I.P.
Apr 01st 2014
My hometown....
Apr 01st 2014
My cousins made me house tapes.
Apr 01st 2014
RIP
Apr 01st 2014
sending love and positive to his love ones
Apr 01st 2014
Incredibly sad day....
Apr 01st 2014
My dad used to DJ with him
Apr 01st 2014
RE: R.I.P. Frankie Knuckles :(
Apr 01st 2014
RIP to a legend
Apr 01st 2014
damn. dude was still young too. R.I.P.
Apr 01st 2014
Rest In Peace Francis Nicholls
Apr 04th 2014
R.I.P.!!!
Apr 06th 2014

dillinjah
Charter member
9021 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 10:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "WTF...RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43735 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 10:29 PM

2. "Incredibly sad. RIP. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17854 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 11:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "damn."
In response to Reply # 0

r.i.p.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

1-UP
Member since Dec 04th 2005
971 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 11:06 PM

4. "This shit got me real scared that Frank Knuckles died..."
In response to Reply # 0

you know... from that NBC band, I forget their name. RIP to Frankie though.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35242 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 09:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "log off"
In response to Reply # 4

1-UP
971 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 12:43 PM

20. "because I was concerned that a roots member died?"
In response to Reply # 14

hmmm, respect to Frankie, and RIP as I said. But understandable mistake since this is a roots site and they have damn near the same name.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35242 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "no, because you're an asshole"
In response to Reply # 20

You really think an RIP post is the best place to express relief that the person who died wasnt someone you *actually* care about?

1-UP
971 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 01:29 PM

25. "fair enough"
In response to Reply # 22

respect.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 11:14 PM

5. "R.I.P. "
In response to Reply # 0

soooo glad I caught him last year in Dallas. And had him autograph my
vinyl. He rocked and inspired til his last day! LEGEND!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 11:29 PM

6. "wow, I just started getting into deep house a few weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0

and him, Masters At Work & Dimitri From Paris seem to have the best stuff.

<================================
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4837778/william-moore-wwe-tackle-o.gif

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 11:47 PM

7. "I AM IN MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW!!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

this man changed my life!!!! what a genius

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

Castro
Charter member
50738 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 01:18 AM

8. "Long Live The Godfather. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

soulmatic
Member since Jan 26th 2007
4617 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 03:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "chicago tribune swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-frankie-knuckles-obit-20140331,0,565674.column
Frankie Knuckles, house music 'godfather,' dead at 59

In Chicago, Frankie Knuckles was called the “godfather,” not because of any underworld connections, but because he helped build house – a style of Chicago dance music that revolutionized club culture in the ‘70s and ‘80s and still resonates around the world today.

Knuckles died Monday at the age of 59, as confirmed by his longtime business partner, Frederick Dunson. More details would be forthcoming Tuesday, Dunson said, who said in an email that Knuckles “died unexpectedly this afternoon at home.” In addition to developing the sound and culture of house music, Knuckles would go on to mix records by major artists such as Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Depeche Mode.

Knuckles learned his craft as a club DJ in New York City, then moved to Chicago in the late ‘70s and developed a reputation as one of the city’s most influential dance-music tastemakers. He arrived in Chicago just as disco was losing steam. For many, disco literally went up in flames between games of a Chicago White Sox double header at Comiskey Park, when radio deejay Steve Dahl blew up hundreds of disco albums.

"I witnessed that caper that Steve Dahl pulled at Disco Demolition Night and it didn't mean a thing to me or my crowd," Knuckles told the Tribune. “But it scared the record companies, so they stopped signing disco artists and making disco records. So we created our own thing in Chicago to fill the gap.”

Knuckles was mentored by the renowned DJ Larry Levan in the early ‘70s while in New York. “We would spend entire afternoons working up ideas on how to present a record so that people would hear it in a new way and fall in love with it,” Knuckles said. “To us it was an art form.”

He brought that knowledge west with him to Chicago, where he became known as “the godfather of Chicago house music” at the Warehouse and later the Power Plant. He would extend mixes of soul and R&B records and turn them into dance tracks, introduce new singles being produced by fledgling house artists and incorporate drum machines to emphasize the beat. In addition to building dynamic ebb-and-flow sets that would keep his dancefloor filled from midnight to noon on weekends, he would create theater-of-the-mind scenarios with inventive sound and lighting. “Sometimes I’d shut down all the lights and set up a record where it would sound like a speeding train was about to crash into the club. People would lose their minds.”

Knuckles was primarily known as a DJ, but he also played a key role as a tastemaker, de facto talent scout and producer. Knuckles bought his first drum machine from a young Derrick May, one of the founders of techno music, who regularly made the trip from Detroit to see Knuckles at the Warehouse. Knuckles also had a musical partnership with Chicago artist Jamie Principle, and helped put "Your Love" and "Baby Wants to Ride" out on vinyl after these tunes had been regulars on his reel-to-reel player at the Warehouse. He also produced the house classic "Tears" with Robert Owens (of Fingers, Inc.).

House was initially cruder and less polished than disco, a reflection of its blue-collar origins. Knuckles was hardly the only innovator in the scene, as Marshall Jefferson, Ron Hardy, Steve "Silk" Hurley, Farley "Jackmaster" Funk and dozens more also played key roles. By the late ‘80s, Knuckles and many of his peers were stars in Europe’s emerging rave scene.

Knuckles would often joke that he could walk down the middle of the street in Chicago and not be recognized, yet would be greeted by cheering fans when he would arrive at European airports for overseas DJ gigs.

“I wasn’t frustrated by that, not at all,” he said. “I’m not the kind of person that lives for fame and glory. If I’ve got a nice, clean home and can put a meal on my table and can entertain my friends, I’m fine. I don’t need to see my face plastered everywhere.”

Yet he took pride in Chicago’s growing recognition over the years as the home of contemporary dance music, celebrated by such mainstream hitmakers as Daft Punk and Paul Oakenfold.

"The people I meet all around the world look at Chicago and the house scene with a new romanticism," he said. "They recognize more than ever that Chicago is the core of where it all began."

In 2004, Chicago named a street after Knuckles where the old Warehouse once stood, on Jefferson Street between Jackson Boulevard and Madison Street. It was a little slice of legitimacy for a style of music that often didn’t get much love from the city, which became notorious in the dance community around the world for passing the so-called “anti-rave ordinance” in 2000 that made property owners, promoters and deejays subject to $10,000 fines for being involved in an unlicensed dance party.

Knuckles once reflected on house music’s reputation as a soundtrack for hedonism, though much of the dance music he loved had a melancholy flavor, a yearning that evoked gospel and soul. He championed house music that wasn’t just about rhythm, but that embraced humanism and dignified struggle. It was in keeping with his belief that the dancefloor was a safe haven for the gay, African-American and Hispanic communities that first embraced him.

“God has a place on the dancefloor,” he once told the Tribune. “We wouldn’t have all the things we have if it wasn’t for God. We wouldn’t have the one thing that keeps us sane – music. It’s the one thing that calms people down.

“Even when they’re hopping up and down in a frenzy on the dancefloor, it still has their spirits calm because they’re concentrating on having a good time, loving the music, as opposed to thinking about something negative. I think dancing is one of the best things anyone can do for themselves. And it doesn’t cost anything.”

greg@gregkot.com

---------
sig:
I got Chad in my heart and DJ Screw in my cup.

soulmatic
Member since Jan 26th 2007
4617 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 03:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Boiler Room nyc set"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=644UU55eyzk&feature=youtu.be

---------
sig:
I got Chad in my heart and DJ Screw in my cup.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 07:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "chicago stand up."
In response to Reply # 0

https://digife.com

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 09:40 AM

13. "NY is standing with yall"
In response to Reply # 11

*Salute*

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 12:44 PM

21. "i heard him so many times."
In response to Reply # 11

man...DAMN.

DAMN!

what us gon' do for July 3rd? Thanksgiving Eve? MLK Day Sunday?

DAMN!!

fuck you.

maro
Charter member

12. "whistlin on repeat. R.I.P. "
In response to Reply # 0

One of the many reasons I fell in love with Deep House.
werd.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 10:55 AM

15. "My hometown...."
In response to Reply # 0

hero is gone......But never forgotten....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 11:16 AM

16. "My cousins made me house tapes."
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't old enough nor did I live close enough to the city to hear house music in the club. I didn't know that entire culture existed until I got older. But I did know about the tapes my cousins made me. And that's how I got introduced to house music and eventually Frankie Knuckles. Those tapes and late night mixes on WGCI shaped my youth.

https://digife.com

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16156 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 11:17 AM

17. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 11:17 AM

18. "sending love and positive to his love ones"
In response to Reply # 0

may your bones or ashes continue to
4/4

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 11:23 AM

19. "Incredibly sad day...."
In response to Reply # 0

for house goodness:

http://soundcloud.com/dj-rsenal

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 01:09 PM

23. "My dad used to DJ with him"
In response to Reply # 0

and worked with him and David Morales at Def Mix/For the Record, a DJ record pool. He was always so nice... and since I was so young at the time, he was like a giant to me...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Knuckles

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

welp

spidey
Charter member
13118 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 01:24 PM

24. "RE: R.I.P. Frankie Knuckles :("
In response to Reply # 0

RIP...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 08:32 PM

26. "RIP to a legend"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Apr-01-14 10:36 PM

27. "damn. dude was still young too. R.I.P."
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Apr-04-14 01:57 PM

28. "Rest In Peace Francis Nicholls"
In response to Reply # 0

I was always into house and remember buying records with his name on it without paying much attention back in the day but as I checking for names he definitely had a great catalog of dope originals, remixes, & even mixes. I remember seeing a post from him on bookface less than a month ago about the WMC and etc. but I didn't know he was having problems with his diabetes, it's sad to hear about his passing.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sun Apr-06-14 08:39 PM

29. "R.I.P.!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

One of the frst house-artists/producers/remixers I became aware of; lots of cool tunes, R.I.P.!!!

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #164236 Previous topic | Next topic