Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #162169

Subject: ""I remember [insert artist/group] way before they blew up!"" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 06:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""I remember [insert artist/group] way before they blew up!""

We all have these stories, especially for Regional artists.

I won't even count 50 Cent, since most of us remember "How to rob"...but he didn't BLOW UP until 3.5-4 years later.

But what are some artists that you remember from way before they blew up, particularly before the internet was really poppin at that level? I would definitely like to hear some Jay stories...when Pac was first dissing him, I was like "who...dude with that 'Ain't no nigga' song? What else did he do??"

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"I remember [the Black Eyed Peas and the Deftones] way before they ble...
Nov 14th 2011
I always wanted to know what Will sounded like when he was with
Nov 14th 2011
Black Eye Peas
Nov 14th 2011
Common Sense.
Nov 14th 2011
I never really hear stories about him when he was at FAMU
Nov 14th 2011
      i was there at the time and
Nov 15th 2011
      you went to WY?
Nov 15th 2011
           yeah, wy class of 89
Nov 16th 2011
      Funny you should say that.
Nov 15th 2011
           WTF??? Way too much of a coincidence, but LOL @ that
Nov 15th 2011
           i think she was a little wrong
Nov 16th 2011
           famu 89/90
Nov 16th 2011
T-Pain (2002)
Nov 14th 2011
tpain is only 26?!
Nov 15th 2011
      LMAO, that's what eeeeeeeeeverybody asks!!
Nov 15th 2011
Kendrick Lamar when he was K. Dot
Nov 14th 2011
being in Omaha it's not totally possible but I remember
Nov 14th 2011
Damn, I first heard about him with "I need cash" or whatever
Nov 14th 2011
      Where the Cash At
Nov 14th 2011
A few:
Nov 14th 2011
Damn!
Nov 14th 2011
GREAT REPLY POST
Nov 15th 2011
Jay muffhuggin' Z.
Nov 14th 2011
lupe...
Nov 14th 2011
RE: lupe...
Nov 15th 2011
Looking through iTunes, mostly ATL artists.
Nov 15th 2011
Most of us in Tallahassee knew B.o.B. because of TJ Chapman
Nov 15th 2011
      That night was a little before that.
Nov 15th 2011
Kanye opened for the Roots and Common in the summer of 2003 @ the Apollo
Nov 15th 2011
Doble Filo
Nov 15th 2011
yup. that was one of the groups
Nov 15th 2011
Came here to post this!!
Nov 15th 2011
Eminem, Jay Z, the Lox are some
Nov 15th 2011
I remember when Wild Pitch eventually issued that record
Nov 15th 2011
first time i heard of 50 was before how to rob. he was on a track
Nov 15th 2011
Another: John Legend
Nov 15th 2011
Living Legends
Nov 15th 2011
Didn't all three of Little Brother post here before they
Nov 15th 2011
I know Tanya Morgan basically met through OKP
Nov 16th 2011
Ludacris & Clipse
Nov 15th 2011
I hear from my older AUC (Morehouse/Clark) homeboys that when he
Nov 15th 2011
      That's an exaggeration.
Nov 15th 2011
THE ROOTS and Black Lily fam
Nov 15th 2011
Two artists come to mind
Nov 15th 2011
Yep. "Cookie Puss" and "Beastie Revolution".
Nov 15th 2011
a few from the rock side of things: Ani, DMB
Nov 15th 2011
lady gaga
Nov 15th 2011
The Fab 5 (Heltah Skeltah / O.G.C.)
Nov 15th 2011
That's dope.
Nov 15th 2011
that's what group of emcees that was highly influential to me
Nov 16th 2011
      All of them are cool
Nov 16th 2011
a couple.
Nov 15th 2011
Yolanda Adams
Nov 15th 2011
I did mushrooms with Lady Gaga...back when she was...
Nov 15th 2011
You got others but who cares?
Nov 16th 2011
      lol he's told me this storyi n depth before though
Nov 16th 2011
           pfaw
Nov 16th 2011
           ...and lol @ dissing my sig...
Nov 16th 2011
           Don't bother, Denny is the president of my fan club.
Nov 16th 2011
Another two: Slug and Rhymefest
Nov 16th 2011
I met Jay Z
Nov 16th 2011

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 06:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. " "I remember [the Black Eyed Peas and the Deftones] way before they ble..."
In response to Reply # 0

I saw them back in like '97 in this little, itty bitty bar/nightclub in SF called Arena. It didn't even have a stage, really. It was more like a a couple of wooden boxes and a dance floor that the crowd basically shared with the artists. This was right when that "Joints and Jams" was dropping. These guys were rapping and busting moves right in the middle of the crowd. They looked like gay pirates then as they do now, but it was a cool show to watch at the time..

I remember back in like '94 or '95 or so.. smoking weed across the street from the Press Club (again.. an extremely tiny bar/club) in downtown Sac at the singer Chino's apartment. I think he had like Beastie Boys and Panthera posters on his apartment walls. They tore that show down, though. I know they are not that big, but whatevs..

White Bronco.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I always wanted to know what Will sounded like when he was with"
In response to Reply # 1

Ruthless

AtoZ 0toInfinity
Member since Sep 27th 2008
867 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 06:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Black Eye Peas"
In response to Reply # 0

And Im gone

Cappadonna On confrontation:
“I went to war one time, and I literally felt the blood
in my veins turn to metal, to the point
where my enemies looked at me and bowed down.
One of them started crying. The other one gave me $2,500.”

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:01 PM

4. "Common Sense."
In response to Reply # 0

yep. We were happy to see him get some shine when he got in "Unsigned Hype", and then when "Take it EZ" blew up, we finally had a Chicago cat gettin' props.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:06 PM

6. "I never really hear stories about him when he was at FAMU"
In response to Reply # 4

He did an interview for our magazine in 06-07 and was talking about the dorm he was in, but I never talked to anybody older to see if he was hyped up around campus.

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:39 AM

18. "i was there at the time and "
In response to Reply # 6

naw he wasn't performing as i know. wasn't cool with him, though.

i saw him once at a dead ass house party, like 12 people and he was rapping for his boys. funny now that i think about it. this was in the chi though, bout the same time,89.

i was never really cool with him my high school, whitney young and his neighborhood, 87th street,used to go at it back in the day.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 09:55 AM

23. "you went to WY?"
In response to Reply # 18

>i was never really cool with him my high school, whitney young

me too.

*secret Dolphin Handshake*

and yes, I remember all those 87th street fights. Them cats used to break up EVERY House party we went to, lol.

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 04:00 AM

52. "yeah, wy class of 89"
In response to Reply # 23

went to famu the same year he was there. funny they were kinda hard heads. they didn't get down with the chicago people, cause most of them were wy, back then. course i stopped kickin it with peeps from the chi and started kickin it with atl peeple.

i did kinda get cool with one of his boys we used to rob the pizza guys together, just the pizzas. i think he thought i was soft till we did that.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 09:57 AM

24. "Funny you should say that."
In response to Reply # 6

I was out last night and met a girl who went to FAMU. and the FIRST thing she said was: "I was there at the same time as Common...he wasn't really a rapper then. He was just a dude who never went to class". and then she went on to talk about how him and his boys were a bunch of drunks. The irony of it was that SHE was piss drunk telling the story.

I LOL'd at the randomness of that convo.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 03:39 PM

39. "WTF??? Way too much of a coincidence, but LOL @ that"
In response to Reply # 24

We always had rappers on campus then, but none of them made it. Last one to halfway make it is Rico Love

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 04:07 AM

53. "i think she was a little wrong"

on that count. far as i know from seeing him at the house party freestyling and from my boys who were also rapping he had been doing it for a bit. just wasn't on no show type ish, that i know of might a been. but in that crowd he was doing it. studio and that type thing.

loveluv
Charter member
1038 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 10:07 AM

57. "famu 89/90"

was pretty much all about miami bass, luke, jam pony express, dj magic mike, etc.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:05 PM

5. "T-Pain (2002)"
In response to Reply # 0

First song he had was this - http://youtu.be/VteBWgJR648 - Back when he was in High School. He finished HS 03 after my first year of college out there. He was mainly rapping back then, n it was before he was using autotune. First autotune track was actually "I'm sprung" which blew up hella unexpectedly.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 09:16 AM

22. "tpain is only 26?!"
In response to Reply # 5

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 03:34 PM

38. "LMAO, that's what eeeeeeeeeverybody asks!!"
In response to Reply # 22

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:07 PM

7. "Kendrick Lamar when he was K. Dot"
In response to Reply # 0

We were both around BWS at the same time, and I remember getting his demo...I think this dude DJ Dave gave it to me, back in 05 or 06. I still have it too, I was trying to upload it online. He sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:11 PM

8. "being in Omaha it's not totally possible but I remember"
In response to Reply # 0

being a huge fan of Curren$y in 2006 and NOBODY knew who the fuck he was. I also remember being a huge fan of Lil' Wayne after Lights Out but most people only listened to his singles before 2007.

I remember making threads about Fashawn, J. Cole and Big K.R.I.T. on my main message board but they blew up pretty much the day I posted those since everyone was posting them everywhere. And you couldn't really say Fashawn blew up anyway he just is who he is.

Ummm. Yea, Curren$y is probably the only one I can really stake a claim to. I was listening to his old No Limit mixtapes from 2003 when most people only knew him from "Grown Man", and I had his whole "Nigga Like Me" verse memorized and it was always the first song I played during smoke breaks freshman year of college.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:12 PM

9. "Damn, I first heard about him with "I need cash" or whatever"
In response to Reply # 8

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:23 PM

11. "Where the Cash At"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon Nov-14-11 07:24 PM by Nodima

Yea No Limit was HUGE in Omaha (a friend of a friend in high school claimed Silkk the Shocker was the greatest rapper ever..........) so I first heard Curren$y on Soulja Slim's Years Later album, but didn't pay close attention til Where the Cash At. I loved that song to death, my friend's parents went to Bosnia for 3 weeks and we had girls and homies over all hours of the day at his house with that and "Hustlin'" on repeat while his 22 year old brother kept us boozed up and we were rollin' blunts on the porch. We blew those songs out of the water on some real ignorant high school shit.

then I went digging back and he had two or three tapes and they went in and out of rotation. I remember being real upset about him leaving the YMCMB camp in 07 because it was right when Wayne was blowing up, he left shortly after his verse on Drought 3 if I remember right. Then him and Terry Kennedy started the Fly Society thing and he started doing the 8 months of mixtapes marathon and it was a wrap. Outside of Wayne Nas, Stevie W. and Jay-Z nobody's been in my ears longer than $.

~~~~~~~~~

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:20 PM

10. "A few:"
In response to Reply # 0

- Hieroglyphics. By the time Del put them on "Burnt," (b-side to Mistadobalina) they'd already built up a rep as local folk heroes in the Bay. They were in High School the same I was in high school, so I knew people that knew them and/or their parents. They were doing small-ish shows and building their fanbase all during the early '90s.

- MURS. Well, really all of the Living Legends, but I guess MURS is the one that's blown up the most. Anyone who was in the Bay Area underground scene in the mid '90s remembers Mystik Journeymen's "$3 to get in; $2 if you bring Top Ramen/Now and Laters" concerts. First time I saw MURS was at Mystik Journeymen show in the summer of '96 at La Pena to perform "Speed Bumps" with rest of the crew. I think that was also the first time I saw/met the rest of the Legends. Anyway, got to know dude over the years while he was living up here, and I'm happy that he made it "big."

- Eminem. It wasn't WAAAAY before he blew up, but I knew about Em when he was the dude who did a track with my best friend when he was out in LA in '97. It still trips me out that it was his camp that approached my homies about doing a track, and not vice versa. Regardless, my potna always told me that he knew dude was going to end up being a star even from that first meeting.

- Kid Rock. Never knew dude, but I certainly remember him being the first act at a Too Short/Ice Cube show I went to late 1990/early 1991. It was also the first hip-hop show I ever went to, so I guess he was the first rapper I ever saw perform live. Dude was on some "white guy version of Too Short" shit way back then. I thought he was pretty corny.

- I don't know if it's fair to include Jay-Z. I'd noticed dude in the "Hawaiian Sophie" video and recognized him in subsequent "Originators" video, and then on Jaz's "Ya Don't Stop" EP, then on "Original Flavor" albums, etc. The story I do have takes place in 1995 in Philly. Jay-Z was the curtain jerking first act to perform at the 1995 Penn Relays show. Me and my crew missed the show, but we went over to the venue right when the show was getting out to pop at chicks/see what was going on. Anyway, as the show breaks up and we get our fill doing whatever, we walk back to the house and we run into Jay and his crew parked out on the street, handing out free copies of the "In My Lifetime" CD single. I think either Dame or Sauce Money handed me mine, but I couldn't swear to it. The only one I recognized was Jaz, to whom I said, "Yo, 'Ya Don't Stop' was dope!" and K.I.M. Looking back on where Jay is now, I do think it was a testament to dude's work ethic that him and his crew were on their serious grind after a show where they barely received billing, instead of like seeking out groupies and shit. Matter of fact, I doubt they would've even been booked if Mic Geronimo hadn't been at the show.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:42 PM

12. "Damn! "
In response to Reply # 10

>- Hieroglyphics. By the time Del put them on "Burnt," (b-side
>to Mistadobalina) they'd already built up a rep as local folk
>heroes in the Bay. They were in High School the same I was in
>high school, so I knew people that knew them and/or their
>parents. They were doing small-ish shows and building their
>fanbase all during the early '90s.

I always heard their name, but never really knew much about them in the 90's.

>- MURS. Well, really all of the Living Legends, but I guess
>MURS is the one that's blown up the most. Anyone who was in
>the Bay Area underground scene in the mid '90s remembers
>Mystik Journeymen's "$3 to get in; $2 if you bring Top
>Ramen/Now and Laters" concerts. First time I saw MURS was at
>Mystik Journeymen show in the summer of '96 at La Pena to
>perform "Speed Bumps" with rest of the crew. I think that was
>also the first time I saw/met the rest of the Legends. Anyway,
>got to know dude over the years while he was living up here,
>and I'm happy that he made it "big."

The craziest thing about it is that I didn't realize that he was anything near "big" until High School...so when I was at Redondo Beach/Union High one day and heard this white girl drive in blasting his song, I said "WTF, how the hell does she have my cousin's song????" I didn't get to go to his concert until I was 17 and it was in Florida, and I said damn, he even has fans here???

>- Eminem. It wasn't WAAAAY before he blew up, but I knew about
>Em when he was the dude who did a track with my best friend
>when he was out in LA in '97. It still trips me out that it
>was his camp that approached my homies about doing a track,
>and not vice versa. Regardless, my potna always told me that
>he knew dude was going to end up being a star even from that
>first meeting.

First saw him on an ohhla.com Top 10 for the week, and heard the Realplayer song which was "My name is Slim Shady" (that's how it was written)....I thought it sucked.

>- Kid Rock. Never knew dude, but I certainly remember him
>being the first act at a Too Short/Ice Cube show I went to
>late 1990/early 1991. It was also the first hip-hop show I
>ever went to, so I guess he was the first rapper I ever saw
>perform live. Dude was on some "white guy version of Too
>Short" shit way back then. I thought he was pretty corny.

LOL @ pretty corny

>- I don't know if it's fair to include Jay-Z. I'd noticed dude
>in the "Hawaiian Sophie" video and recognized him in
>subsequent "Originators" video, and then on Jaz's "Ya Don't
>Stop" EP, then on "Original Flavor" albums, etc. The story I
>do have takes place in 1995 in Philly. Jay-Z was the curtain
>jerking first act to perform at the 1995 Penn Relays show. Me
>and my crew missed the show, but we went over to the venue
>right when the show was getting out to pop at chicks/see what
>was going on. Anyway, as the show breaks up and we get our
>fill doing whatever, we walk back to the house and we run into
>Jay and his crew parked out on the street, handing out free
>copies of the "In My Lifetime" CD single. I think either Dame
>or Sauce Money handed me mine, but I couldn't swear to it. The
>only one I recognized was Jaz, to whom I said, "Yo, 'Ya Don't
>Stop' was dope!" and K.I.M. Looking back on where Jay is now,
>I do think it was a testament to dude's work ethic that him
>and his crew were on their serious grind after a show where
>they barely received billing, instead of like seeking out
>groupies and shit. Matter of fact, I doubt they would've even
>been booked if Mic Geronimo hadn't been at the show.

Damn! I knew nothing about the "Original flavor" or "Ya don't stop"...shit I only knew of those other songs after the internet. Was "Hawaiian sophie" an actual hit that got played nationwide, or something more regional?

Even in 95, I can't picture Jay hustling after a show like that...I mean, I can business wise but he seems like the type who'd have his goons sell it while he just posted in the back.

maro
Charter member

31. "GREAT REPLY POST"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Nov-15-11 12:58 PM by maro

...your Auntie Clarisse!

lurkin since 1999. werd.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 07:47 PM

13. "Jay muffhuggin' Z."
In response to Reply # 0

Noah Truth
Member since Apr 13th 2010
568 posts
Mon Nov-14-11 08:43 PM

14. "lupe..."
In response to Reply # 0

back in 04/05 this cat would just be chilling randomly @ columbia college looking like a straight up nerd, lol. dude had glasses and a heavy ass backpack.

nobody knew who the fuck dude was but me and my boys. i remember walking up to dude w/ some earbuds like "yo lupe, peep this joint right quick" and dude was like, "i'm cool fam, my ears are tired."

:/

lupe is a cool as dude though if you ever meet him in person. duke was out by the Federal Reserve a few days ago passing out flyers for Occupy Chicago. there was like 5 people out there too and people on the street just were walking passed him like he was a bum, lol... smh

"I am a human being becoming, help me become."

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 12:06 AM

15. "RE: lupe..."
In response to Reply # 14

My friend's roommate went on a few dates with him probably back in 04-05 (def before "Touch Da Sky") and she said he was "really weird and super nerdy."

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:01 AM

16. "Looking through iTunes, mostly ATL artists."
In response to Reply # 0

I think I've told the story of watching cartoons with B.o.B. before any of his mixtapes dropped.

I'm (sadly) old enough to remember Ludacris when he was Ryan Cameron's intern on 97.5. I don't remember hearing him rap until he did a lil freestyle after 'Pac died.

I think I just told how this chick told us about T.I. like, in '98.

I copped the Infamous Syndicate album on the first day, way before Shawnna was on "What's Your Fantasy"

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 06:10 PM

46. "Most of us in Tallahassee knew B.o.B. because of TJ Chapman"
In response to Reply # 16

I think "Haters everywhere" in 07 was the first actual song I heard from him

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 06:27 PM

47. "That night was a little before that."
In response to Reply # 46

The same night the quote from my sig came from, too.

nublax
Charter member
4010 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:07 AM

17. "Kanye opened for the Roots and Common in the summer of 2003 @ the Apollo"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-15-11 01:08 AM by nublax

It was a show celebrating some Cuban rap groups' first trip to the U.S.

Ye was probably one of the first artists to perform. Cons was there. Ye did a bunch of stuff from his "Get Well Soon" and "I'm Good" mixtapes. It felt like nobody in the entire room had even heard of him; everyone except me and my homebody stayed in their seats looking beyond bored during his set.

I actually put one of the top editors at a major hip hop mag up on him for the first time. I let her borrow "I'm Good." He got a small "emerging artist" column based off that. Unfortunately, though, I had to transcribe the entire painfully long and wordy interview.

Was in the same room when he sat for the photos that would accompany the interview. Trust, he's a been a "diva" -- hyper-sensitive about how he's portrayed in the media -- since day one.

Shortly after he blew up with "Slow Jamz" and "Through the Wire" and and the rest was history.

"If I ever run into any of you bums on the street corner, just let's pretend we never met before."

Hitokiri
Charter member
22096 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 02:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Doble Filo"
In response to Reply # 17

is the name of the Cuban rap group...
Or wait... it might have been La Fabri_K
One of the two.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

nublax
Charter member
4010 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 10:47 AM

27. "yup. that was one of the groups"
In response to Reply # 19

they both were no bueno.

"If I ever run into any of you bums on the street corner, just let's pretend we never met before."

clever79
Charter member
3808 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 12:00 PM

30. "Came here to post this!!"
In response to Reply # 17

I was there.

And I bought both Mixtapes he was sellin: I'm Good and Get well Soon.

Still rock both them joints.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 03:37 AM

20. "Eminem, Jay Z, the Lox are some"
In response to Reply # 0

Eminem was not long before he blew up but I heard that "5 star general"-track on a Shabaam Sadeeq 12" where he really stood out for better or worse and there was a LOT of internet-underground hype a while later so he was one guy I remembered hearing before he blew up.

Jay Z-I actually bought the Jaz album in the early 90's due to finding it in a cut-out bin for like $1. I also heard-and recognized him-on various guest performances ("Show and prove", the song on the Big L album etc.) before he blew up.

the Lox. Two of the guys appeared on Main Source's unreleased second album "Fuck what youi think" which is something of a classic here in Gothenburg, sweden. For some reason, a local record-store bought in a shitload of copies of an early bootleg of the record called "Diary of a hitman" in the mid-90's and since the band was a pretty big name amongst east-coast heads here, "everyone" bought that bootleg and the song with Jadakiss and Sheek was one of the standouts (note that they were not listed though) and I thought they were dope. I was VERY disappointed in how they ended up sounding on Bad Boy but that goes without saying.

Anyway, the first two are pretty common I guess and I assume that a lot of people heard the Lox as well so I don't really have a lot to brag about here...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 09:03 AM

21. "I remember when Wild Pitch eventually issued that record"
In response to Reply # 20

>the Lox. Two of the guys appeared on Main Source's unreleased
>second album "Fuck what youi think" which is something of a
>classic here in Gothenburg, sweden. For some reason, a local
>record-store bought in a shitload of copies of an early
>bootleg of the record called "Diary of a hitman" in the
>mid-90's and since the band was a pretty big name amongst
>east-coast heads here, "everyone" bought that bootleg and the
>song with Jadakiss and Sheek was one of the standouts (note
>that they were not listed though) and I thought they were
>dope. I was VERY disappointed in how they ended up sounding on
>Bad Boy but that goes without saying.

and I didn't know what to think of it. "Main Source had another record?" I just associated Large Pro with that group, and when I saw he wasn't there I was like... hmm.

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 10:04 AM

25. "first time i heard of 50 was before how to rob. he was on a track"
In response to Reply # 0

and video with onyx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjRGU26zbM

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

mrhood75
44709 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 10:32 AM

26. "Another: John Legend"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay, so he went to U. of Penn during the same time I did (he was two years behind me). I'd heard that when he started blowing up and one friend of mine even told me that there were rumors that he had ghost-wrote some of Lauryn's "Miseducation" album (not far fetched, Ruffhouse Records is based in Philly and Lauryn had a U. Penn connection through her brother, who also went there). What's really odd is that apparently I used to kick it with him, but I have no recollection of him at all.

I found this out through one random e-mail convos I had with a college friend (who was also two years younger than me). During the course of the e-mail, he wroe, "I can't believe John Stephens was the Bill Maher show last week." So after google-ing "John Stephens," I replied, "Wait, why is it a big deal that John Legend was on Bill Maher?" And he replied, "Don't you remember we used to hang out with him all the time?" Apparently, John used to hang with my buddies roommate (who in NY underground crew Dujeous) and our buddy Theo (who was a rapper/producer from LA) quite a bit. Racking my brain, I can sort of remember a few times Mr. Legend was around, but for the life of me I can't remember talking to him at all. Which is strange.

Side note: Theo, the producer/rapper from LA ended up becoming Snoop Dogg's manager (he may even still be, I honestly don't know). That's not consider "big" though for the purposes of this post.

- Another I'll add is The Grouch, also of Living Legends, though he never really got "big." I knew dude waaaaay back when we were both in high school. Back then he was just Corey and he was friends with homies in high school. I knew he rapped, but didn't think it was anything serious. I don't remember how I pieced together that he was the Grouch, but I do remember reading the liner notes of one of his early tapes and seeing him shout out a pair of my high school buddies. Of all the cats that I knew in High School, I'm the happiest for dude. He's really living the dream.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:33 PM

34. "Living Legends"
In response to Reply # 26

Yeah, even though they never really did "blow up" blow up.. I am happy for guys like the Grouch and MURS.

They established loyal fanbases off of basically being themselves and doing music on their own terms.

I remember Grouch trying to hit on my ex gf at the Elbo Room. I bought a copy of "Don't Talk To Me" on casette from him at Maritime Hall. When I played it, it was blank. The next show I saw him at.. probably at Maritime again.. He was really cool about it and hooked up the vinyl.

I also remember meeting MURS on his 19th bday after a show.. he was a little kid basically.. We were all guests in some folks' house, he was drunk, and a big homie had to check him for playing with one of the residents' nunchucks without permission.

White Bronco.

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 11:04 AM

28. "Didn't all three of Little Brother post here before they "
In response to Reply # 0

got recognition with The Listening?
Nicolay too...
There must be some stories from older posters
I remember when the listening dropped,
and how it started to gain more & more people's attention.

Kid Cudi also,
I remember when 88 keys posted a video of this rapper
he said was about to blow up,
this was before Day & Night hit,
I thought he was nice.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Nodima
15297 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 04:24 AM

54. "I know Tanya Morgan basically met through OKP"
In response to Reply # 28

but that was a couple years before I hopped on here

~~~~~~~~~

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 11:10 AM

29. "Ludacris & Clipse"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember being in ATL with my boy who had moved down there and going to a club that was one of the hot spots…can't remember the name…but it was closed and they were shooting a video for a rapper named Ludacris.

This was back before the album was called Back For The First Time but I just remember clowning him because of his name and the album name.

We went in the club and they were shooting a video for What's Your Fantasy but I don't believe it was the one that came out.

We were just chillin there watching and someone was trying to amp us up to get in the video as extras.

I also remember when The Clipse's The Funeral dropped when I was like in 8th grade or 9th grade and loving it. I thought they were the next great duo but then they disappeared for a few years before Grindin' dropped.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 04:25 PM

41. "I hear from my older AUC (Morehouse/Clark) homeboys that when he"
In response to Reply # 29

was a DJ on the radio, he AAAAAAAAAAAAAALWAYS played "Fat rabbit" like every day for a year back in 98-99. And that's the first time I heard of him...on that "Tim's bio" so when "What's yo fantasy" dropped, I was like "this dude sounds like the Fat rabbit guy...oh shit it's him!" and they still put that song on his debut album.

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 06:09 PM

45. "That's an exaggeration."
In response to Reply # 41

Phat Rabbit didn't get half as much play on either station as any of his other singles, from then to now.

maro
Charter member

32. "THE ROOTS and Black Lily fam"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember seeing them on south street playing drums and rappin. I remember the vid with them and espo freestylin doing graf when it first hit tha streets. I think remember seeing a couple cats freestylin in the basement of the last drop coffee shop 93ish, maybe. I remember meeting malik B when i was working at mont serrat on south street early 90's, he ran up and bummed a cig and told me he was part of this hip hop crew and we talked for a few... while smoking.

I also used to go to Black Lily at the 5spot all the time: saw acts early on like;

Kindred and Family
jazzyFatnastees
Bilal
Jill

...your Auntie Clarisse!

lurkin since 1999. werd.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:24 PM

33. "Two artists come to mind"
In response to Reply # 0

* Sir Mix-A-Lot
By living in the Pacific Northwest, you pretty much knew of his music by default. Sir Mix-A-Lot was celebrated in the same way Jay-Z is today, because he was the one Seattle rapper who was having hits. He may be known to the rest of the world as a one-hit wonder, but I know him for "Beepers", "National Anthem", "Iron Man", and "My Hooptie". But "Posse On Broadway" is an anthem, you slap that song on and everyone will be residing those lyrics word for word, the same way people will know "Paul Revere". But then a lot of people also know Mix-A-Lot for "Square Dance Rap" and "Buttermilk Biscuits" back when he sped up his voice and came off like a cartoon. Those are songs where, if played, it will be one of the few times you'll see people 35 and older rap as if they were 12. Mix-A-Lot doesn't have to record another song again after the success of "Baby Got Back", but the one thing he did early on was have interests in other things besides music. He not only rapped about beepers, but he sold them with his own stores. Long before it was okay for rappers to have "other non-musical options", he was doing it and doing quite well. All those photos of him in his luxurious home, loads of cars, and a closet full of guns and ammo? That wasn't fake.

*Beastie Boys
I didn't become aware of them until "Cooky Pus" came out, but when I did, it was a damn new wavy song about a crank call, and that's ALL it was. No reference to them being punk, no reference to them wanting to be rap. Yet this song sounded so cool because of the attitude of Mike D.'s voice. "Damn bitch hung up on me."

There are other artists I'm sure I could come up with, but those stand out for me.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:59 PM

37. "Yep. "Cookie Puss" and "Beastie Revolution"."
In response to Reply # 33

those were the first two Beastie Boys joints I heard. I had them on a tape of weird shit I made from late night college radio.

and somewhere I think I heard "She's on it" too.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:40 PM

35. "a few from the rock side of things: Ani, DMB"
In response to Reply # 0

-Ani Difranco: first time I saw her was in a dorm lounge in the fall of 1990... there were fewer than 20 people there, and only 3 of us were guys. she didn't use a mic or amp, just sat on an ottoman type thing and played and sang. She was great of course but her stagecraft matured enormously in the next two or three years.

-Dave Matthews Band: undoubtedly the biggest. I'd found out about them through jam scene word of mouth and the phish email list. They came through Burlington in spring 1994 and the school newspaper got me up there ahead of the show (cover was still $5 at the Metronome). I watched sound check, then interviewed Dave, Carter and Leroi on the bus for a half hour. 'Remember Two Things' was still pretty much only available through the band; they'd just signed their major deal but UTTAD was still a year or so away.

-Phish could probably count; I saw them in Dec. 1991, so they'd put out Junta and whatever that second one is, but hadn't even signed to Elektra yet. Buzz was already huge, obviously, esp. in VT. I saw them a few times that next spring including a sweet Flood Zone show with maybe 2 or 300 people there, tops.

-Mighty Mighty Bosstones: they had been around for years and were already well known in the small-at-the-time ska scene, but I saw them sometime in fall/winter 1990/91 as well and loved it. It's a plaid, plaid, plaid, plaid world. Part of me still cringes when I stumble across Dicky Barrett as a latter-day Ed McMahon. I'd seen Bim Ska La Bim prior to that too but unlike the Bosstones, they never got particularly big outside of the ska scene.

-Dispatch were a bunch of guys two years or so behind me at college who were playing frat shows.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 01:43 PM

36. "lady gaga"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife dragged me to the nkotb reunion show in 2008, and this wierd-ass chick in a white leotard and a blonde wig was singing repetitive song after repetitive song. didn't think nothing of it.

then, about 6 months later, she exploded. just dance, pokerface, etc.

i think i caught her on her momentum upward, towards a more pop star setup. she used to sit behind her piano. and have dark hair. at the nkotb show, it was just her, a dat track, and a couple dancers. her fashion wasn't as out-there, but it was still kinda-out-there. no meat dresses yet.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 04:23 PM

40. "The Fab 5 (Heltah Skeltah / O.G.C.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Growing up in Brownsville I was a part of a rap crew called Population Click. We had a lot of members and a chip on our shoulders because we weren't known like Bootcamp. While we wanted to be industry famous like them I just appreciated being around those cats. I used to hang out heavy with the last group to come out of the original B.C.C. The Representativz. Supreme from that group is actually Steele's first cousin and I would listen to unreleased BCC work in his room. I heard I remember I first met Sean P walking away from his building and he was mega cool. I heard "Blah" before it dropped and songs from O.G.C's album. When Leflah dropped and went crazy in NY I was happy as shit. I was in high school all on some I know those guys man!

There's video footage somewhere of me kicking what I would imagine to be subpar to wack verses with Sean P.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

clever79
Charter member
3808 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 05:28 PM

42. "That's dope."
In response to Reply # 40

I'm gonna need a link cuz this sounds HI-larious!

>There's video footage somewhere of me kicking what I would
>imagine to be subpar to wack verses with Sean P.
>
>

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 01:25 AM

49. "that's what group of emcees that was highly influential to me"
In response to Reply # 40

I was so happy to have met ruck an rock after my cousins made a beat for the last bootcamp album (s.i.c. Beats)
they were mad cool. I didnt get to meet buckshot but I saw him

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 02:19 PM

61. "All of them are cool "
In response to Reply # 49

Some of the coolest cats in the industry. Never on any holier than thou ish.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 05:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
43. "a couple."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-15-11 06:01 PM by denny

Avril Lavigne

I played guitar for a female singer-songwriter named Lindi Ortega (she's still doing some good things now) and Avril played on the same bill as us except she played country music. It was also really creepy cause the lyrics that her team wrote for her had all sorts of sexual innuendos...she was only 11 or 12 years old.

Sarah Slean

Not sure how well she's known outside Canada but she was my baby-mother's best friend and roommate for years. Pretty sure we conceived in their shared apartment. She was also the valedictorian at a high school graduation I was booted out of. I was covered in rain/mud extremely high on lsd and wearing a ridiculous novelty hat. It's a long story.

MSTRKRFT/Death From Above

I've been friends with dude since I was around 12 or 13. He used to get all the new hip hop releases before anyone else in town. Used to go to his house after school...tons of music equipment cause his dad was an old rocknroller. He was in a punk band called 'Standing 8' with a bunch of guys I was cool with. Funny thing too...just ran into him yesterday at the doctor's office.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 05:59 PM

44. "Yolanda Adams"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember when she was working with Ben Tankard back in 91-92...I knew about him b/c my dad worked with one of his groups called Futrel. I heard her perform in 93 when she opened for Fred Hammond, and we sat next to her after her performance. Her track "Through the storm" was somehow my favorite song back then, right before I got into Rap, and my dad loved her track with Ben "You bring out the best in me"

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Tue Nov-15-11 10:10 PM

48. "I did mushrooms with Lady Gaga...back when she was..."
In response to Reply # 0

...Stephanie, just an NYU student and her boyfriend at the time & I had mutual friends. She's always had a flair for the theatrical/dramatic -- I'll say that just...wrong place, wrong time.

...I got others, but who cares.

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

denny
11281 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 03:38 AM

51. "You got others but who cares?"
In response to Reply # 48

What kind of halfway shithead are you?

hohoho.

Such a statement implies that everyone 'cares' about what you said in the first place.

Here's you:

"yah everyone here is lame....I'm kinda lame...but not really."

Nodima
15297 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 04:30 AM

55. "lol he's told me this storyi n depth before though"
In response to Reply # 51

it's actually funny. a little. I like it.

~~~~~~~~~

denny
11281 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 07:56 AM

56. "pfaw"
In response to Reply # 55

I'm not the one to purposefully set up my account so that after every contribution I make....there is a critique of an underground rapper that noone cares about.

----------------------------------------------

"Just-Ice was a little too wordy".

rhymesandammo
6366 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 01:59 PM

60. "...and lol @ dissing my sig..."
In response to Reply # 56

double lol @ MF Doom being an "underground rapper nobody cares about".

http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/mf-doom-red-bull-music-academy-lecture-madrid-2011/

This nearly-2 hour lecture says otherwise...

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

rhymesandammo
6366 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 01:02 PM

58. "Don't bother, Denny is the president of my fan club."
In response to Reply # 55

He's been acting out a lot lately, I wonder if something is wrong at home.

By "others" I mean: sure I've been up on plenty of other artists since before they were "big", but who cares about that when nothing can compare to tripping on mushrooms with Lady GaGa.

mrhood75
44709 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 01:59 AM

50. "Another two: Slug and Rhymefest"
In response to Reply # 0

Slug: He was already on his way when I kicked it with a fair times when I was in Chicago. I met him after the first Atmosphere album had already dropped, and he was already "Underground Hip-Hop God" status in Minnesota and Chicago. I met him when he was in town to finish the Deep Puddle Dynamics album and do a show with the rest of the crew. Got to hang out with him when he came through to the radio show I was involved with, and then to interview him (and the rest of Deep Puddle) for thesource.com. Then kicked it about a year when he came to visit and do a show in the Bay Area. This was in the days before an Atmosphere sure would be a guaranteed 1,000 person (or even 10 times that) audience. Regardless, dude was a really cool cat.

Rhymefest: I actually never knew dude personally while I was out in Chicago, but he was certainly known and the cats I was kicking it with knew him. Mostly I heard about his "love/hate relationship" with J.U.I.C.E., and how he lost at Skribble Jam to Dose-One.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79493 posts
Wed Nov-16-11 01:48 PM

59. "I met Jay Z "
In response to Reply # 50
Wed Nov-16-11 01:56 PM by legsdiamond

at some BET label show that had OC, Buckshot Shorty and I can't remember who else. His set was short and to the point. No flash or moving just standing next to the DJ ripping "Ain't No Nigga" After the show he was chilling by his car and we talked for a good 10 minutes about the industry. I had no idea he would be that big later on..

I saw Biggie at Jones Beach when he did Party and Bullshit and the fight skit almost caused a riot. When the music came back on the place went crazy... this was back when he was fat and greasy and rocked the bandanna.

Jean Grey, I know she hasn't blown but in college we threw a show when she was in a group Natural Resource with 2 other cats. We were sitting in my room playing play station the day before the show....

I've known Will from the Black Eye Peas since the mid 90's and I remember being backstage at the UVA show and he was telling us how the black girl was suing him and how grimy the business was. Told us how he started a bidding war by taking the low ball offer from the first label and walking right over to the next label and telling them how much the last label offered and kept repeating it. He was terrified because they had one more album and if it didn't sell they were going to get dropped. They ended up getting Fergie and the rest is history. He also was the first person I heard talking about ring tones.

Mos and Kweli were cool, it was right after Black Star came out but I'll be honest, Kweli was kinda dickish... He had The Roots new single "You Got Me" and when I asked who the chick was who was rapping Kweli responded with: A girl... no shit Sherlock! Mos left his hat at my crib.

I also remember almost seeing Wu-Tan in Philly but we didn't want to pay the 20 dollar cover because one of our crew worked for Flavor Unit and we were trying to do the free thing. Little did I know these dudes were inside ripping the stage down. The name Wu-Tang sounds funny the first time you hear it.

Also seen a ton of artist at the Black Lilly, Bilal, Musiq, etc....

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #162169 Previous topic | Next topic