Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #155685

Subject: "Attempt 2:Slayer-Reign In Blood 25 year anniversary..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Oct-07-11 07:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Attempt 2:Slayer-Reign In Blood 25 year anniversary..."
Fri Oct-07-11 07:05 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Shout out to John Book for reminding me and for his touching post...

Early 87. A young Jakob and his friend Rikard is visiting a two year older skater dude. Jakob and his friend is discussing whether S.O.D.'s "Speak english or Die" is the fastestr album in the world (yeah, I know; we hadn't heard much and it's not much of a topic but hey, we were kids; when I think back on my pre-early teens, this is what 90% of my conversations looked like). The young Jakob had heard-and dug-some thrash:Metallica and Anthrax of course who were both relatively close to "normal" metal, Megadeth's "Peace sells..." video, Exodus "Bounded by blood" (still an alltime favorite) and some other stray albums by bands like Tankard and Onslaught.

Anyway, the skater dude says:''Oh, you think SOD is fast*'' (*in retrospect, there are sections on the SOD album that is faster than anything on ''Reign...'' but I'm talking more about the music as a *whole*) and puts on Slayers then fairly new ''Reign in blood'' and BAM! My life as a music fan changed and for the next four years, I would go more and more ''out'' in terms of speed and extremity while leaving ''regular'' heavy rock behind-Kreator, Dark Angel, Bathory, Possessed, Napalm Death, Death, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Autopsy, Entombed and the list continues until I burnt out and just got tired of distorted guitars and screaming in general and metal in particular and started to look for other music. It was pretty much this era that made me a music nerd beyond the mainstream and also informed my overall musical aesthetics for all eternity even beyond metal.

However, my best memorys of ''Reign...'' has more to do with the mid-90's: Me and another friend used to warm up drinking in his apartment before going out to party and we played all types of shit:Wu-Tang, Parliament, the Byrds, Gram Parsons, Isaac Hayes, Rolling Stones,EPMD-you name it. However, we ALWAYS ended with playing ''Reign...'' loud as fuck and screaming along to all the timeless, retarded one-liner ecapitated bodies found-on my wall:your HEAD!!!, I have yet only just begun to TAKE YOUR FUCKING LIvES!!! DO YOU WANNA DIE?!!! etc. *That* era is what I think the most of when I hear the record-two former metalheads who had discovered a whole new world of music but yet went back to their roots every other night as some sort of reminder like ''this is where we come from''. Bsically, it's a party-record to me nowadays rather than a celebration of evil which is strange considering the fact that the very first line on the album (besides ''AAAAARGH'') is ''Auschwitz, the meaning of pain, the way that I want you to die''...

Over time, ''Reign...'' has become to extreme metal (no, Metallica doesn't count; they had vocal melodies in their songs-HUGE principal differnce) what ''Kind of blue'' is to jazz or ''Legend'' is to reggae:the type of album that has thousands of ratings on rateyourmusic and hundreds of reviews on amazon and appear on ''regular'' best ever lists where other albums in the same genre/subgenre doesn't come close. Beyond the songs-which are dope of course-I can count four main reasons for this:

1.The timing. When ''Reign'' came out, Slayer was one of only four thrash bands with a major deal/distribution. That meant that the music got heard WAY beyond the fanzine/metal-nerd circles. Between mid-86 and early 87, these four bands-Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer-released the most critically celebrated albums of their respective career (megadeth might be an exception) at a crucial time:when metal had become soft as fuck. Even Judas Priest and Iron Maiden made records with synthesizers, Bon Jovi were HUGE and Def Leppards ''Hysteria'' was on the horizon. These four bands and their records represented a guerrilla-movement of sorts and out of these four, Slayer CLEARLY stands out as the most intense and brutal. Actually, there had never been a record like ''Reign...'' released on a major before and rarely since, ''normal'' people had never heard something like this before and after that, the ''novelty'' wore off. There has been several bands who has made faster, more extreme stuff both before and since but none came close to the impact of Slayer.

2. The producer/label. In 86, Def Jam was known as the flagship label for the music that was easily the most cutting edge of the 80's:Hip-Hop. Rick Rubin was of course the name producer behind the label. By taking Slayer under their wings, Def Jam sort of legitimized extreme metal as a cutting edge thing; I know for a fact that several non-metal reviewers took notice STRICTLY on the basis of the involvement of Rubin and Def jam.

Basically, Slayer got a certain ''hipster'' cache due to the Def Jam thing that somewhat remains to this day:if Metallica's ''Master of puppets'' is the thrash-album most likely to show up in lists by magazines like Rolling Stone, ''Reign...'' is the equivalent in ''cooler'' circles and lists, those that are more underground, cutting-edge and ''indie''.

3.Rubin's production and the performance of the band. Most major extreme metal had production drenched in reverb and various 80s effects, alternatively, they sounded noisy and messy; Rick Rubin on the other hand gave the album a dry, almost ACDC-esque sound that sounds far more timeless and ''classic rock'' than practically anything else in the genre in the 80's (I wish the bass was louder though), really, it sounds fabulous even if it's not MY ideal metal-sound.

Meanwhile, Slayer played with a clockwork precision and accuracy which was vERY important for the bands acceptance in more mainstream metal-circles who had previously dismissed bands along the same lines as Slayer as untalented losers who hid behind an ''evil'', satanic image and ridiculous speed to make up for lack of talent; with Slayer, they couldn't really make that claim anymore when they ahd the clear production to back them up. The mainstream metal-critics might not have liked or understood the music but they had to respect it. By comparison, a stylistically similar band like Dark Angel had top-notch musicianship at the time but the noisy, ''wall of sound'' production on their album ''Darkness Descends'' meant that noone outside of extreme metal circles could enjoy it (of course, it was also released on an indie but that was my previous point). Bands like Kreator on the other hand were still vERY messy and chaotic, too much so for ''normal'' people...

4.The song-structures. This is perhaps the msot important aspect. Slayer and Rubin took a reductionist approach, cutting down on repetition of individual sections and making almost every song short and compact which stood in sharp contrast to the other big thrash-bands at the time. Thrash had a tendency to be somewhat proggy with long intros and mid-sections and convoluted structures. The songs on ''Reign...'' doesn't really contain fewer riffs than your typical Metallica-song at the time *but* they are structured for maximum impact with sections only appearing once (see the genius stroke of skipping the pre-chorus between the second verse and chorus in ''Angel of Death'' and then later have the song going immediately into the chorus after the solos-not something Metallica (or Dark Angel for that matter) would have done at that stage).

basically, it's a 100% pure thrash album but played witht he attitude of hardcore punk which makes it very accessible by comparison.

Anyway, fabulous record-total classic IMO.

Oh yeah, this record cound NEVER have been done in the 60's, 70's or even early 80's-can you say that about most cool indie-rock? Just something worth pondering...

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
THIS IS WHY I COME TO THE LESSON
Oct 07th 2011
great post, man.
Oct 07th 2011
I'll address it
Oct 08th 2011
      it was just one person
Oct 08th 2011
      RE: it was just one person
Oct 08th 2011
      I'm sorry, john... that explanation makes no sense to me.
Oct 08th 2011
props to you for taking me back to the record
Oct 08th 2011
YO. archive this shit.
Oct 08th 2011
yeah, this record was an INSTANT classic
Oct 08th 2011
RE: Not into the music. . .
Oct 08th 2011
RE: Get better, lessen.
May 27th 2012
RE: Attempt 2:Slayer-Reign In Blood 25 year anniversary...
May 27th 2012

steg1
Charter member
3335 posts
Fri Oct-07-11 07:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "THIS IS WHY I COME TO THE LESSON"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-07-11 07:52 PM by steg1

freaking great poast. Im at work so I can only read cant really get into responding (i copy pasted it to a word doc to read lol)

Great story, great record.

I do prefer South of Heaven tho, but thats just me.

Thanx Jakob

www.jambase.com ~~~Go See Live Music~~~
www.upfulLIFE.com / www.facebook.com/UPFULLife

"...shocked the small axe could knocka giant lopsided" (c)Pretty Flaco

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Oct-07-11 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "great post, man."
In response to Reply # 0

I really don't understand why johnbook had to delete his post... If you can't handle criticism, you have no business posting your writing publicly.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 06:26 PM

6. "I'll address it"
In response to Reply # 2

>> If you can't handle criticism, you have no business posting your writing publicly. <<

Did you or anyone ask why I requested for it to be removed? I crave criticism and feedback of my work, it makes me a better writer. What I don't like is the fact that someone makes an effort to be critical, and then don't bother to say why. In my opinion, if you don't want to play critic as well, then I will not bother posting my work in The Lesson any more. Someone doesn't like the way I write? Cool, but at least let me know why so I can improve. Or if it's how I wrote something... I generally don't like to explain why I write the way I do, but if you want to get into that, I'm more than willing. But if people want to be like that, then my efforts can and will be useful elsewhere.

I will limit myself in The Lesson to giving suggestions to ?uest for Jimmy Fallon walk-out music.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 06:29 PM

7. "it was just one person"
In response to Reply # 6

don't let one person's behavior stop you from posting... and even that one person offered to elaborate on his criticism after being informed you were the writer. i'm sure i speak for us all in saying that your contributions here are valuable and would be missed.

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 06:38 PM

8. "RE: it was just one person"
In response to Reply # 7

agreed

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 06:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I'm sorry, john... that explanation makes no sense to me."
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Oct-08-11 07:00 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

ONE person threw out a half-formed critique and you immediately fly off the handle and delete the whole post (even though people like Jakob were really enjoying the post and begged you not to delete it)?

And now you're saying that because of that, you're no longer going to post in the Lesson at all?

Hey... It's your life and your choice bro. I can't hate on that. But it really comes off like you're throwing hissy fits and that ain't a good look, imho.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be derogatory or anything... Obviously, I think you are a valued contributor to this board, but you just can't be that thin-skinned. It looks bad.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 09:22 AM

3. "props to you for taking me back to the record"
In response to Reply # 0

and also to what that record and time meant to you as a listener. thank you man.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 10:42 AM

4. "YO. archive this shit."
In response to Reply # 0

my memories of this record are almost identical.

weirdo skater kids & druggies were my ppl in HS. @ a skip party someone threw this on & i remember just banging my head sooo fucking hard

damn now i gotta go dig it out my stacks...props JH this is a Lesson post

do or die

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 03:03 PM

5. "yeah, this record was an INSTANT classic"
In response to Reply # 0

and you did a real great job of summing up why it was so; I remember hearing that record for the first time in the 1990s and being SHOCKED that it was a Def Jam release.

the thing that intrigued me most about it was the SPEED and the precision... and that it was a record that was made more or less for the masses, but on terms that generally were relegated to the die-hards.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sat Oct-08-11 07:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Not into the music. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

. . .but definitely into this style of posting!

Thank you very much, sir.

~Austin

os·ti·na·to
/ˌästəˈnädō/
noun
a continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2017/332378

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun May-27-12 01:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "RE: Get better, lessen."
In response to Reply # 0

~Austin

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain."
John Lennon
http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus
http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

Nicolay
Charter member
9608 posts
Sun May-27-12 06:46 AM

12. "RE: Attempt 2:Slayer-Reign In Blood 25 year anniversary..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nice read!

Nicolay

http://www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #155685 Previous topic | Next topic