Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #155098

Subject: "GZA's next album to revolve around science (SWIPE)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44738 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"GZA's next album to revolve around science (SWIPE)"

(yeah I know that's a Ghost lyric, not GZA, but work with me)

With "Dark Matter", dude really is going to rhyming about stars, planets, and quasars.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640104577436392955009490.html

A Rapper Finds His Muse in the Stars

By ANNA LOUIE SUSSMAN
Daniella Zalcman for The Wall Street Journal

The rapper GZA at the Hayden Planetarium, which inspired a new project.

On an early May afternoon in the offices of Neil deGrasse Tyson, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, a model of Saturn caught the eye of a 45-year-old high-school dropout, and a lyric was born.

"I thought, this is probably the longest spinning record in the world," said GZA, the hip-hop artist and founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, referring to the ring system surrounding the planet. About a week later, the words crystallized and he offered them over a vegetarian lunch on the Upper West Side.

"God put the needle on the disc of Saturn / The record he played revealed blueprints and patterns," he rapped in his signature rhythmic baritone, offering a taste from his forthcoming album, "Dark Matter," an exploration of the cosmos filtered through the mind of a rapper known among his peers as "the Genius."

GZA, with Neil deGrasse Tyson, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, in Mr. Tyson's office at the Museum of Natural History.

Informed by meetings with top physicists and cosmologists at MIT and Cornell University, "Dark Matter" is intended to be the first in a series of albums that GZA—born Gary Grice in Brooklyn in 1966—will put out in the next few years, several of which are designed to get a wide audience hooked on science.

"Dark Matter" is scheduled for a fall release. Another album will focus on the life aquatic, a subject he's fleshing out with visits to the labs of marine biologists and researchers, as well as meetings with the likes of Philippe Cousteau.

"After 'Dark Matter,' he said, "we'll be back on earth, but in the ocean."

In between will come "Liquid Swords 1.5," for which GZA will re-record the lyrics to his beloved 1995 album "Liquid Swords," backed by live bands.

Composer and producer Marco Vitali, a Juilliard-trained violinist, is helping to score "Dark Matter." He recalled a recent meeting in which GZA explained the images that the music should convey.

"We talked about frenetic energy, outer space, molecules crashing into each other, organized chaos," Mr. Vitali said. "The grandeur of the fact that the universe was born in a millionth of a second, in this explosion that created billions of stars, these overpowering ideas that are bigger than we can conceive. How do we make the record feel like that?"

In other words, how does one score the majesty of the entire universe?

"We don't have the answers yet," conceded Mr. Vitali. One thing he does know is that the score will utilize "the power of an entire orchestra," likely one from a smaller European country, to keep costs down.

Enlarge Image
GZA
GZA
Scott Gries/ImageDirect/Getty Images

The rapper performs with the Wu-Tang Clan in 2001.

For GZA, a major challenge is convincing skeptics for whom hip-hop and an academic subject like physics seem incompatible.

"It's gonna sound so boring to most people," the rapper said. "There have been times when I've been told, 'Oh, you're doing an album about physics? I hope it's not boring.' They don't get the idea. Because rappers are so one-dimensional, so narrow-minded, it comes off corny."

Still, he believes that "Dark Matter" will tap into the innate curiosity of listeners—even those with no outward interest in science.

"I don't think people have ever really been in touch with science," he said. "They're drawn to it, but they don't know why they're drawn to it. For example, you may be blown away by the structure of something, like a soccer ball or a geodesic dome, with its hexagonal shapes. Or how you can take a strand of hair and can get someone's whole drug history. They're different forms of science, but it's still science."

He plans to package "Dark Matter" with a short illustrated book that may also include the album's lyrics and a glossary, "like an epic textbook," he said.

Penny Chisholm, a professor of environmental science at MIT, said she'd welcome the chance to use a GZA album as a teaching tool. She met with him last December when he came to visit her lab, where she researches the ocean phytoplankton Prochlorococcus, the most abundant photosynthetic cell on the planet.

"He'd been doing his homework on the oceans," Ms. Chisholm said. "I was struck by his appreciation of the complexity of ecology and physics, and his views on life. I think he's now on a new mission, and he could play an important role in getting various messages out through his art form—about the earth, and science. That's why I've become a fan."

It's that kind of academic inspiration that a young Gary Grice could have used growing up in Brooklyn in the 1970s. He was always smart: Before he was the GZA, he could recite nursery rhymes backward and forward.

"He was the Genius, and we called him genius because we knew that he was a genius," said Raekwon, another founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, the legendary Staten Island hip-hop crew formed in the early '90s.

But as he came of age, the city's blossoming hip-hop scene exerted its own gravitational pull, drawing him away from the classroom. He cut class most days, staying home to write lyrics or hang out with friends and make demos.

"I thought I knew more than what they were teaching in school," he said. "When you look back on it now, it's foolish to be cutting because we had so much more opportunity than now. When I look back at high school, or even junior high, we had all the things that kids don't have now: woodshop, ceramics, metal class, electric class, graphic arts, graphic design."

Instead he poured his efforts into music. A first album, "Words From the Genius," failed to make a splash in 1991. Two years later, he and eight friends—including two cousins, who would become the RZA and Ol' Dirty Bastard—released "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," a critical entry in the hip-hop canon. His solo follow-up, "Liquid Swords," went gold, winning acclaim for its sophisticated lyrics.

Despite have left school in the 10th grade, GZA nurtured his affection for science as he developed his skills as a lyricist.

"There were certain things that grabbed my interest, such as photosynthesis, such as us living off plants and plants living off us," he said. "You look at everything in that light—so if I'm looking at ice cubes, I might start thinking about absolute zero, or Fahrenheit and Celsius. There's so much that can make me think about science."

In 1995, when he released "Liquid Swords," GZA solidified his stature as the Wu-Tang Clan's most recognizable lyricist with lines like "I be the body dropper, the heartbeat stopper / child educator plus head amputator." Nearly two decades later, "Dark Matter," with its rejection of the braggadocio and violence often found in hip-hop and its embrace of poetry and natural imagery, could finally enable this father of two to seize that mantle of "child educator."

"There's no parental advisory, no profanity, no nudity," he said. "The only thing that's going to be stripped bare is the planets."

A version of this article appeared May 31, 2012, on page A19 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: A Rapper Finds His Muse in the Stars.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This could be dope or...
Jun 01st 2012
whew wee this album is gunna tear the club up!
Jun 01st 2012
lmao!
Jun 01st 2012
Dealin in my cypher I revolve around sciences
Jun 01st 2012
*nerd boner*
Jun 01st 2012
Who's on the beats, tho?
Jun 01st 2012
i wanna see Gza hook up with DJ Spinna...
Jun 01st 2012
I hope he keeps working with Black Milk
Jun 01st 2012
^I like this, too
Jun 01st 2012
I like that
Jun 01st 2012
I wish he'd hook-up with Edan or El-P
Jun 01st 2012
      I just hope it's not the super-monotone GZA over plodding beats....
Jun 01st 2012
      RE: I wish he'd hook-up with Edan or El-P
Jun 02nd 2012
Ambitious, but I dont think we gon like it
Jun 01st 2012
"ya get an E for effort but T for nice try" @5ft
Jun 01st 2012
      The news sounds like an april fools joke
Jun 01st 2012
           I can gaurentee he wont make a subsequent science lp that sees
Jun 02nd 2012
           LMAO, i'm sayin
Jun 02nd 2012
           It really does
Jun 03rd 2012
*crosses fingers*
Jun 01st 2012
GZA used to be my fav mc but honestly his decline has been gradual
Jun 01st 2012
Grandmasters was excellent n/m
Jun 01st 2012
to you but I didnt like it
Jun 01st 2012
don't see how you could ride for Legend and shit on Grandmasters
Jun 01st 2012
my issue was that he sounded like he didnt want to be there lol
Jun 01st 2012
      what's 'dated' about Liquid Swords?
Jun 01st 2012
           its over 15 years old and you are asking me why it sounds dated?
Jun 02nd 2012
                no snark but that was a bullshit reply
Jun 02nd 2012
                     ure asking why something that came out in another era
Jun 02nd 2012
                          obviously not
Jun 02nd 2012
                               I think abrock33 jumped the shark in this thread
Jun 02nd 2012
                                    when do u think GZA's decline began?
Jun 03rd 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPJUV3n6Ss
Jun 01st 2012
RE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPJUV3n6Ss
Jun 02nd 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7g03iM3tU
Jun 01st 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesD7inx880
Jun 01st 2012
RE: Grandmasters was excellent n/m
Jun 01st 2012
      wat?
Jun 01st 2012
           i love Liquid Swords, Grandmasters is better TO ME
Jun 01st 2012
                Word, I've just never heard anyone say that....
Jun 02nd 2012
I loved Legends of the Liquid Swords
Jun 02nd 2012
one of his underrated records... lots of good tracks on that one
Jun 02nd 2012
      man this joint here:
Jun 02nd 2012
           Yep that and the one with Santigold were my fav
Jun 03rd 2012
                this was a banger as well:
Jun 04th 2012
"running out of gas very quickly"
Jun 06th 2012
liquid swords 1.5 is more exciting to me
Jun 01st 2012
glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.
Jun 02nd 2012
i dunno b..
Jun 02nd 2012
RE: GZA's next album to revolve around science (SWIPE)
Jun 02nd 2012
*groan*
Jun 02nd 2012
What in blue fuck are you talking about?
Jun 02nd 2012
I don't think you have to worry about Filler w/GZA
Jun 05th 2012
It's All About Production First & Lyrics Second For Me
Jun 02nd 2012
You guys are dweebs.
Jun 02nd 2012
I'm genuinely excited about it
Jun 02nd 2012
how many of u will actually buy a copy?
Jun 02nd 2012
      See. This is what I mean. You guys are dweebs.
Jun 02nd 2012
      I would treat it like any other album
Jun 02nd 2012
      his tryn to break topical boundries is commendable
Jun 03rd 2012
      RE: how many of u will actually buy a copy?
Jun 03rd 2012
lol, wut?
Jun 02nd 2012
      right
Jun 02nd 2012
           Exactly. You guys are fucking dweebs.
Jun 02nd 2012
Fucking dumb.
Jun 02nd 2012
Its no different than listening to an album about pussy juice.
Jun 02nd 2012
      RE: Its no different than listening to an album about pussy juice.
Jun 02nd 2012
      Miss E...So Addictive
Jun 02nd 2012
           Dude......lol
Jun 03rd 2012
           ^_^
Jun 05th 2012
      I know YOU know this won't work as an entire album.
Jun 03rd 2012
           LOL. You're a fucking dweeb.
Jun 03rd 2012
                RE: LOL. You're a fucking dweeb.
Jun 03rd 2012
                     this is how it will really go
Jun 03rd 2012
                          And you're STILL a fucking dweeb.
Jun 03rd 2012
                               Your whole steeze is a fucking joke
Jun 03rd 2012
                                    "your'e a dweeb"..I was just sayin it before he did I couldn't resist lo...
Jun 03rd 2012
                                         Yeah, you're starting to sound flustered and mad now.
Jun 03rd 2012
would be dope if there was a guest spot from Last Emperor...
Jun 04th 2012
Orbit Established pretty uch took are of everything for me, bro
Jun 04th 2012
RE: Orbit Established pretty uch took are of everything for me, bro
Jun 06th 2012
Braniac dum dums bust the scientifical!
Jun 05th 2012
Unless it's scientifcally or musically bad, I'll prob. buy it for my kid...
Jun 05th 2012
So now we're dissing emcees for being ambitious? Okay.
Jun 05th 2012
^^^^
Jun 05th 2012
Maybe if Primo produced the entire album..lol
Jun 06th 2012

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This could be dope or..."
In response to Reply # 0

it could end up like Biophilia. FUCK YOU STEVE!!
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "whew wee this album is gunna tear the club up!"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:09 PM

7. "lmao!"
In response to Reply # 2

>

ACIDSE7EN
Member since Mar 29th 2004
671 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 11:02 AM

3. "Dealin in my cypher I revolve around sciences"
In response to Reply # 0

(c) Ghostface

"Sometimes I feel like the shit
Sometimes I feel like I'm shit
Sometimes I wanna stand for somethin then sometimes wanna sit" 3Stacks

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52635 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "*nerd boner*"
In response to Reply # 0

---
Love,
Nopayne

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19956 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 11:43 AM

5. "Who's on the beats, tho?"
In response to Reply # 0

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57014 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i wanna see Gza hook up with DJ Spinna..."
In response to Reply # 5

....on some spacey 1996-99 Spinna type beats

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44738 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:17 PM

9. "I hope he keeps working with Black Milk"
In response to Reply # 6

That's a pretty good fit for this project.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Ishwip
19956 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:36 PM

12. "^I like this, too"
In response to Reply # 9

I'll definitely check for this, Wu-Tang forever and all of that. It's an interesting idea, just hope it's also an enjoyable listen.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Ishwip
19956 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:34 PM

11. "I like that"
In response to Reply # 6

>....on some spacey 1996-99 Spinna type beats

__

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:53 PM

23. "I wish he'd hook-up with Edan or El-P"
In response to Reply # 5

Those 2 would suite him amazingly, everytime I hear Beauty & The Beat I can imagine GZA being able to do something great to those beats. El-P goes without saying

Ishwip
19956 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 02:02 PM

24. "I just hope it's not the super-monotone GZA over plodding beats...."
In response to Reply # 23

.....rappin' 'bout science lol!

__

spidey
Charter member
13141 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 03:29 AM

33. "RE: I wish he'd hook-up with Edan or El-P"
In response to Reply # 23

...agreed..

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:10 PM

8. "Ambitious, but I dont think we gon like it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-01-12 12:11 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:37 PM

13. ""ya get an E for effort but T for nice try" @5ft"
In response to Reply # 8

I agree

I love GZA

Im impressed that hes willing to think outside the box and tackle a project of this magnitude

however I don't know that I'd want to hear it

maybye an intial listen for curosity sake but after that nah

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 09:13 PM

27. "The news sounds like an april fools joke"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Jun-01-12 09:14 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

>I agree
>
>I love GZA
>
>Im impressed that hes willing to think outside the box and
>tackle a project of this magnitude
>
>however I don't know that I'd want to hear it
>
>maybye an intial listen for curosity sake but after that nah

and he's planning another album about the oceans? lmao, seriously???

like how could that make for good entertainment?

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:24 AM

42. "I can gaurentee he wont make a subsequent science lp that sees "
In response to Reply # 27

the light of day

First off if he has to do all this research it will be too time consuming

on top of that after this one sells 39 copies who will fund him to do another?

lets be real weve been waiting on a proper Liquid Swords 2 for how many years now hes off doin this? *smh*

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 05:21 PM

52. "LMAO, i'm sayin"
In response to Reply # 42

> the light of day
>
>First off if he has to do all this research it will be too
>time consuming
>
>on top of that after this one sells 39 copies who will fund
>him to do another?
>
>lets be real weve been waiting on a proper Liquid Swords 2 for
>how many years now hes off doin this? *smh*
>
>

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 01:08 PM

69. "It really does"
In response to Reply # 27

Or an article in the Onion

_______________________________________________________________________________________

thebigfunk
Charter member
10474 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:22 PM

10. "*crosses fingers*"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd like to see more artists of all sorts challenge themselves this way... novelists do actual research when compiling a novel. Why shouldn't musicians/lyricists/rappers do the same?

And for some reason, this totally fits my mental image of GZA

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:45 PM

14. "GZA used to be my fav mc but honestly his decline has been gradual"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-01-12 12:50 PM by ABROCK33

his last 2 lps (Grandmasters & Pro Tools) wern't up to HIS high standards lyrically

they sound lazy like he didnt want to do it and hastily put togther

I even ride for "Legend of the liquid sword" I thought it was a great lp despite most people ignoring it

my problem w this new "science" thing is I can see him forcing a dope concept that may work for 2 or 3 songs and tryin to stretch it out for 12 songs and ruining it.

the same as he did with the "Labels concept". It was excellent on "Labels", but had watered down and wore thin by "Animal Planet", "Fame" and the song on Grandmasters with the sports themes

I can see the lp haveing a couple remarkable songs but him running out of gas very quickly and the rest of it sounding like an audio book

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:48 PM

15. "Grandmasters was excellent n/m"
In response to Reply # 14

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:51 PM

16. "to you but I didnt like it"
In response to Reply # 15

I been rocking Genuis since the days "Words from.." dropped and Grandmasters was lackluster to me

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:58 PM

17. "don't see how you could ride for Legend and shit on Grandmasters"
In response to Reply # 16

and lyrically c'mon dude.... he killed that album. go revisit it. may not have been what you wanted but he bodied it.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:03 PM

20. "my issue was that he sounded like he didnt want to be there lol"
In response to Reply # 17

I know dude isnt the most animated on the mic but still he sounded totally unattatched to the rhymes

yes the intricatelt put togther wordplay was spliced togther as normal but he didnt "bring it" @ Leon Black on Curb your enthusism

youre right it def wasnt the lp I wanted lol

Im content w Legend of the Liquid sword...I love that lp and its not as dated as the OG LS

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:09 PM

22. "what's 'dated' about Liquid Swords?"
In response to Reply # 20

>I know dude isnt the most animated on the mic but still he
>sounded totally unattatched to the rhymes
>
>yes the intricatelt put togther wordplay was spliced togther
>as normal but he didnt "bring it" @ Leon Black on Curb your
>enthusism
>
>youre right it def wasnt the lp I wanted lol
>
>Im content w Legend of the Liquid sword...I love that lp and
>its not as dated as the OG LS
>
>

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:28 AM

43. "its over 15 years old and you are asking me why it sounds dated?"
In response to Reply # 22

no snark but thats a rhetorical question

that lp doesn't sound like anything out now, willie mithchell loops are not that common

the lp sounds like it came from another era cuz it did

by dated don't assume I mean bad tho it still sounds good but also like it was made over 15 years ago

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:36 AM

46. "no snark but that was a bullshit reply"
In response to Reply # 43

>no snark but thats a rhetorical question
>
>that lp doesn't sound like anything out now, willie mithchell
>loops are not that common
>
>the lp sounds like it came from another era cuz it did
>
>by dated don't assume I mean bad tho it still sounds good but
>also like it was made over 15 years ago

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:51 AM

48. "ure asking why something that came out in another era"
In response to Reply # 46

sounds like it came out in another era

theres realy not much explantion I can give

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:58 AM

49. "obviously not"
In response to Reply # 48

>
>theres realy not much explantion I can give

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15319 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:21 PM

59. "I think abrock33 jumped the shark in this thread"
In response to Reply # 49

because I agree with all his positives but none of his negatives

GZA did fall off but it wasn't with Grandmasters

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 09:47 AM

63. "when do u think GZA's decline began?"
In response to Reply # 59

what else do u not agree with?

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:00 PM

18. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPJUV3n6Ss"
Fri Jun-01-12 01:00 PM by imcvspl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPJUV3n6Ss
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

spidey
Charter member
13141 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 03:32 AM

34. "RE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPJUV3n6Ss"
In response to Reply # 18

...too dope...unfucwitable...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:02 PM

19. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7g03iM3tU"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7g03iM3tU
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:03 PM

21. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesD7inx880"

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 04:16 PM

25. "RE: Grandmasters was excellent n/m"
In response to Reply # 15

Goddamn that's such a good fucking LP and nobody seems to think so.

I like Grandmasters better than Liquid Swords.

I also greatly enjoyed Pro Tools

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

guru0509
Charter member
45399 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 05:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "wat?"
In response to Reply # 25

>I like Grandmasters better than Liquid Swords.
>

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 09:54 PM

28. "i love Liquid Swords, Grandmasters is better TO ME"
In response to Reply # 26

People are allowed to disagree, I won't change my mind though.

guru0509
Charter member
45399 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 09:51 AM

39. "Word, I've just never heard anyone say that...."
In response to Reply # 28

Muggs did his thing tho.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 02:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "I loved Legends of the Liquid Swords"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kznytPMjoaA

I found this CD in a box a few months back, put it in the rotation in my whip.

--sig--
n/a

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132218 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 09:50 AM

38. "one of his underrated records... lots of good tracks on that one"
In response to Reply # 32

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:49 AM

47. "man this joint here:"
In response to Reply # 38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naqNdyykOg&feature=related

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 07:24 PM

74. "Yep that and the one with Santigold were my fav"
In response to Reply # 47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZswHe1yh4

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 06:33 PM

76. "this was a banger as well:"
In response to Reply # 74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkODMEGAZdA

Justin_Maldonado_7
Charter member
5042 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 01:50 AM

84. ""running out of gas very quickly""

interesting...i wonder if he will make a song about running out of gas quickly

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 11:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "liquid swords 1.5 is more exciting to me"
In response to Reply # 0

>In between will come "Liquid Swords 1.5," for which GZA will
>re-record the lyrics to his beloved 1995 album "Liquid
>Swords," backed by live ba

thesickboi
Member since Nov 06th 2006
789 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 02:09 AM

31. "glad I'm not the only one who noticed this."
In response to Reply # 29

!!!!!!!!!

spitfire
Charter member
1519 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 04:38 AM

35. "i dunno b.."
In response to Reply # 29
Sat Jun-02-12 04:38 AM by spitfire

it went from Liquid Swords fully produced by RZA and featuring the Wu, to Liquid Swords 1.5: remaking the original songs with 'bands'. I'm kind of hesitant to be hyped about that, maybe if he hooks it up with will sessions or el michel affair.. but even then, i think I'm good on the original version (dated or not)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://vintagesoulmusic.tumblr.com
http://vintagehiphopmusic.tumblr.com
http://onetwann.tumblr.com

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2582 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 01:35 AM

30. "RE: GZA's next album to revolve around science (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 0

I've actually been anticipating this album since I heard about it a few months ago.

I foresee a GZA TED Talks video in the near future.

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 08:39 AM

36. "*groan*"
In response to Reply # 0

>Penny Chisholm, a professor of environmental science at MIT,
>said she'd welcome the chance to use a GZA album as a teaching
>tool.

She misses the point entirely.

The other side of the game is, are ppl gonna play the accuracy game, and how does it meshw tih poetic license?

One of the inherent problems of story and subject raps, is that at the compositional level, it's more difficult to stay on topic for every line of the rap. Folks stick a lot of filler in to keep the whole thing going, and it's why you don't here too many, imo.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:22 AM

41. "What in blue fuck are you talking about? "
In response to Reply # 36

>>Penny Chisholm, a professor of environmental science at
>MIT,
>>said she'd welcome the chance to use a GZA album as a
>teaching
>>tool.
>
>She misses the point entirely.

No, YOU miss the point.

>The other side of the game is, are ppl gonna play the accuracy
>game, and how does it meshw tih poetic license?

What? The fuck that have to do with anything?

>One of the inherent problems of story and subject raps, is
>that at the compositional level, it's more difficult to stay
>on topic for every line of the rap. Folks stick a lot of
>filler in to keep the whole thing going, and it's why you
>don't here too many, imo.

No, dumbass, *you* miss the point. "teaching tool"
doesn't have to mean that she uses the album as a didactic
tool. "Teaching tool" could mean one of several things:
(a) music as an inspirational tool
(b) Music as a tool to introduce the concept
(c) Music as as exercise in reinforcing the coolness of
science in settings outside the classroom.
(d) Many, many, many others

I don't know if it will happen, buts ts a perfectly reasonable assumption. Education already uses this approach..."Magic School
bus" for example, doesn't replace schooling. "Magic School bus"
is important because it make pre-school aged kids look forward
to school and adds a fun spin to learning.

The same could be true for rap (it is true in my personal case)

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 03:05 PM

81. "I don't think you have to worry about Filler w/GZA"
In response to Reply # 36

> Folks stick a lot of
>filler in to keep the whole thing going, and it's why you
>don't here too many, imo.

--sig--
n/a

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 09:03 AM

37. "It's All About Production First & Lyrics Second For Me"
In response to Reply # 0

I like GZA but he can get boring at times but if the beats he's rocking over is dope it will keep my interest, so I hope he's got a good line up of producers for that album and they fit the songs.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:14 AM

40. "You guys are dweebs."
In response to Reply # 0

Stop overanalyzing. You guys all sound like
idiots.

GZA can rap really well and at the very least
the fact that he's openly passionate about the
music means that the rhymes will be good.

Whether the album is scientifically accurate or not is
irrelevant and nobody gives a shit.

Dude is inspired.

The last 2 albums, he hasn't been inspired. That's
what does rappers in -- they just don't get fired up
for the music anymore.

No reason to write this off.

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

(C)Keith Murray, "

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:29 AM

44. "I'm genuinely excited about it"
In response to Reply # 40

Like more than I have been in some time for an album.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 11:34 AM

45. "how many of u will actually buy a copy?"
In response to Reply # 44

all these "i want to hear it" answers are fine

if u only dl it and you dont like its no big deal you havnt invested anything into it

if u buy it tho and u think its garbage thats another story

just curious....

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 03:20 PM

50. "See. This is what I mean. You guys are dweebs. "
In response to Reply # 45
Sat Jun-02-12 03:30 PM by Orbit_Established

>all these "i want to hear it" answers are fine
>
>if u only dl it and you dont like its no big deal you havnt
>invested anything into it

I'm going to purchase it just like I do every project
I want to purchase.

I don't understand you dweebs.

>if u buy it tho and u think its garbage thats another story

What?

>just curious....

What?

Fuck is wrong with y'all?

How did the lesson get even dumber than it was?

(C)Keith Murray, "

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 06:57 PM

54. "I would treat it like any other album"

When it comes out, I'll pay attention to what kind of buzz it's getting. Assuming it's at least mildly positive, I'll sample the album online. Assuming it sounds good, I'll buy it.

By the way, I've always been in favor of rap broadening its lyrical horizons. Support this album on paper 100% for that reason.

--

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 09:52 AM

64. "his tryn to break topical boundries is commendable"
In response to Reply # 54

but doin it THIS way seems forced

if he can pull it off (which I highly doubt he can) Ill be the first to congratulate him and by buying it

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2582 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 11:55 AM

68. "RE: how many of u will actually buy a copy?"

Pretty sure I will cop.

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 05:23 PM

53. "lol, wut?"
In response to Reply # 40

>Whether the album is scientifically accurate or not is
>irrelevant and nobody gives a shit.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 07:18 PM

55. "right"
In response to Reply # 53

I thought I was the only one that caught that LOL

*smh* at all the fans of all the supposed quantam physics raps in this thread

is this a new genre? lol

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 07:54 PM

57. "Exactly. You guys are fucking dweebs. "
In response to Reply # 55

>I thought I was the only one that caught that LOL
>
>*smh* at all the fans of all the supposed quantam physics raps
>in this thread
>
>is this a new genre? lol

No, its rap.

You can rap about pussy juice.

About rainbow showers.

About south african uprisings.

About dead homies.

The only consistent pattern you find in good rap
music is that it sounds good. There is not single
topic synonymous with good or bad music, so using
subject matter alone to predict whether or not the
album will be good or bad is asinine.

The topic itself doesn't matter, and that is
exactly why rap is so fucking great.

You guys are in here sounding like a bunch of
dickhead snobs and you come across as idiots.

The reason that we might be excited for this project
isn't because GZA is rapping about anything particularly
provocative.

The reason we should be excited is that GZA seems genuinely
interested in the project, appears to have his hunger back,
and is interested in taking a new creative direction.

That is enough for us to look forward to it.

The problem with you guys, and most of the lesson, is
that are dweebs who don't understand what the point of
art is, so you get caught up in dumbass details.

I mean, you got Korr in this post whining about the a random
comment about a professor.

You guys are fucking dweebs.

Most of you.

(C)Keith Murray, "

PierreOrdinaire
Member since Mar 12th 2006
1322 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 05:02 PM

51. "Fucking dumb."
In response to Reply # 0

Let me start by writing this: Astronomy, cosmology and quantum physics greatly interest me. I've read a few books on the subjects and can sit through marathon sessions of The Universe, Through the Wormhole and similar programs.

However, I'm NOT trying to listen to a fucking hip-hop album on the subject.

RIDICULOUS.

______******_______******______******

" ... You know, ya'll laugh at the wrong shit ... "
-- Eddie Murphy

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 07:49 PM

56. "Its no different than listening to an album about pussy juice. "
In response to Reply # 51
Sat Jun-02-12 07:54 PM by Orbit_Established

Or weed.

Or Kung Fu.

Its rap.

Listen to it.

If it sounds good, its a good record.

If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Stop being a fucking dweeb.

>Let me start by writing this: Astronomy, cosmology and
>quantum physics greatly interest me. I've read a few books on
>the subjects and can sit through marathon sessions of The
>Universe, Through the Wormhole and similar programs.
>
>However, I'm NOT trying to listen to a fucking hip-hop album
>on the subject.
>
>RIDICULOUS.

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:11 PM

58. "RE: Its no different than listening to an album about pussy juice. "
In response to Reply # 56

While we're on the subject, what is this rap album about pussy juice you keep referring to? I want to hear it.

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15319 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:26 PM

60. "Miss E...So Addictive"
In response to Reply # 58

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 02:35 PM

72. "Dude......lol"
In response to Reply # 60

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 09:00 PM

83. "^_^"
In response to Reply # 60

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

PierreOrdinaire
1322 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 12:15 AM

61. "I know YOU know this won't work as an entire album."
In response to Reply # 56

I swear sometimes you just argue to argue. I believe you're a teacher. Do you head up the debate club as well? This one of those assignments where you have to argue for the side you don't believe in?

But back to the matter at hand:

A song? Okay.

A motif running through the album? Interesting.

An entire album dedicated solely to astronomy and its accompanying theories will be a disaster ... a fucking supernova (yep, I did it) of an album. A record which will collapse in on itself -- NO songwriter or MC has the spark to balance the heavy subject matter an ENTIRE ALBUM and make it listenable -- and proceed to project myriad superfluous rhymes into a vast hip-hop community that largely could give two fucks about physics.

FAIL.

-- Eddie Murphy

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 05:43 AM

62. "LOL. You're a fucking dweeb. "
In response to Reply # 61

>But back to the matter at hand:
>
>A song? Okay.
>
>A motif running through the album? Interesting.

>An entire album dedicated solely to astronomy and its
>accompanying theories will be a disaster

LOL -- now you're just making shit up. GZA also talked
with scientists at the Broad Institute about the human
genome, so your wrong, overly-heavy-handed synopsis of
what the album is going to be about is wrong both because
you're heavy handed and because you don't even know what
the album is actually about.

The album is inspired by his appreciation of science,
curiosity, etc.

Its not a physics manifesto and isn't meant to prepare
college kids for the GRE Physics subject test.

Literally only an idiot would think that much.

Besides-

2 Live Crew, a group of shitty MCs, made a solid
record (As Nasty as they wanna be) entirely about
pussy.

GZA, a good MC, can make a good album influenced by
his scientific curiosity.

Its actually not that difficult.

Problem is, you can't be a dweeb.

>... a fucking
>supernova (yep, I did it) of an album.

>A record which will
>collapse in on itself --

*AIIIIRRRBALLLLLL*

I almost vomited.

>NO songwriter or MC has the spark to
>balance the heavy subject matter an ENTIRE ALBUM and make it
>listenable -- and proceed to project myriad superfluous rhymes
>into a vast hip-hop community that largely could give two
>fucks about physics.

"myriad superfluous rhymes"

Jesus christ.

This is the real problem.

You're just not very bright.

You don't want to hear the album because you're simply
not intelligent.

That I can understand.

>FAIL.

Says your science grades? Possibly. You can't write
either, though. Not sure what people like you major
in.

PierreOrdinaire
1322 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 10:00 AM

65. "RE: LOL. You're a fucking dweeb. "
In response to Reply # 62

I can't wait to read your defense of this garbage when it drops.

Stick to boxing, dunce. Everyone here knows you don't know shit about music.

-- Eddie Murphy

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 10:19 AM

66. "this is how it will really go"
In response to Reply # 65
Sun Jun-03-12 11:00 AM by ABROCK33

his most ardent fans will DL

no one will actually spend mony on a copy

the D'Ld cd will quickly be deleted

pleas will be copped

then said supporters will act like this never happened

the GZA will see no money from his "supporters" for his efforts

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 11:33 AM

67. "And you're STILL a fucking dweeb. "
In response to Reply # 66
Sun Jun-03-12 11:34 AM by Orbit_Established

>no one will actually spend mony on a copy

I'm not even an "ardent fan" and I'll evaluate
it the same way I do every album, even the ones
by artists I am an "ardent fan" of: I listen to
snippets or a preview stream. If I like it, I
buy it. If I don't like it, I won't buy it.

I bought El-P's album recently using that format
(not an ardent fan)

I both Apollo brown/OCs album recently using that format

I'm close to engaging that process for Curren$y

Why?

Because I'm not a dweeb.

>the D'Ld cd will quickly be deleted
>
>pleas will be copped

>then said supporters will act like this never happened
>
>the GZA will see no money from his "supporters" for his
>efforts

LOL -- nobody is saying its guaranteed to be great,
you dweeb.

If the album sucks, than it sucks.

Same way a lot of albums that we wish were good, suck.

Blueprint 2.0 sucked.

Nastradamus sucked.

Most of Weezy's albums suck.

Same with Wiz Khalifah.

Same with a lot of artists.

If its good, we'll like it.

If it sucks, it sucks and we move the fuck on.

You guys are fucking dweebs because you are being critical
for the wrong reasons; there's nothing inherently wrong
with GZA trying to experiment with new topics and there's
nothing in the topic he's choosing to experiment with that
tells me for a fact the album will suck.

The only way I'll know if its good or bad is if I press play.

Again-

If it sucks, no problem, more time for better music.
Nice try, GZA, but I've got better things to do.

If its good, then good for GZA and good for me.

You dweebs have piss poor self-esteem and end
up turning music discussions into things that have
nothing to do with music.

Its music. Listen to it, talk about what you liked or
didn't.

But don't be a fucking dweeb.

PierreOrdinaire
1322 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 01:52 PM

70. "Your whole steeze is a fucking joke"
In response to Reply # 67

turning music discussions into things that have
>nothing to do with music.

This is ALL about the music, and this album is a horrible idea IMO. I explained why I felt that way in earlier posts.

So you can continue to write long replys that say nothing.

And you can continue to personally attack posters who disagree but that simply reflects badly on you.

Stop acting like a fucking clown. I know you can be civil. You're better than this, son.

-- Eddie Murphy

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 02:15 PM

71. ""your'e a dweeb"..I was just sayin it before he did I couldn't resist lo..."
In response to Reply # 70
Sun Jun-03-12 02:17 PM by ABROCK33

I refuse to spend my time argueing or replying to his childish, nonsenseical replies so Im glad u did

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 02:57 PM

73. "Yeah, you're starting to sound flustered and mad now. "
In response to Reply # 71
Sun Jun-03-12 02:57 PM by Orbit_Established

A flustered and mad dweeb, that is.

Generally that's what happens when I'm right.

You're not responding because you don't have
anything to say.

Plus you mad.

apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 06:29 PM

75. "would be dope if there was a guest spot from Last Emperor..."
In response to Reply # 0

i always imagined the last emp doin a record like this....

maybe even give him an uninterrupted 36 bars with his own beat....kinda like an extended interlude.

anyways....i think some of ya'll are taking this too seriously...

i agree with orbit..its just a concept album, and concept albums tend to be loosely applied in hip hop.

it actually reminds me of that Dino 5 album prince paul did w/ chali2na, ladybug, and wordsworth...in the sense that they produced and executed a very specific concept...

maybe all the press about meeting with professors throws people off....i didn't take that to mean that he was gonna deliver a dissertation... i think he's more focused on the musical and lyrical bed creating an atmosphere that reflects what he sees when he thinks/dreams/studies the cosmos....no different from how dr octagon's album musically creates an atmosphere that matches the character..

in fact...if you replaced gza's name in this article with kool keith, no one would be mad...cuz you expect out-there shit from keith....its just that gza is expected to stay in a certain lane....and science seems far fetched to some.....but, eh....i think its gonna be at least interesting...and at best, dope....

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 07:40 PM

77. "Orbit Established pretty uch took are of everything for me, bro"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79919 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 09:11 AM

86. "RE: Orbit Established pretty uch took are of everything for me, bro"
In response to Reply # 77

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but I agree with Orbit on this...

It's not that serious. Now there will always be a few nerds who's only concern is finding the errors and flaws but what fun is that?

It's like the movie nerds who point out how Avatar wasn't possible due to space warp, gravity, time travel or whatever nerdy shit they use to make themselves unfuckable to women.

Gza will drop a few scientifical words...lol. Throw in a few songs about alchemy and keep it moving.

Will it knock? I hope...

redbaron
Charter member
4254 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 11:21 AM

78. "Braniac dum dums bust the scientifical!"
In response to Reply # 0

good to hear

i always appreciate words from the Genius

you have sexually transmitted crazy mouth...DEALBREAKER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdIMxP70sAM&feature=related

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 11:37 AM

79. "Unless it's scientifcally or musically bad, I'll prob. buy it for my kid..."
In response to Reply # 0

They Might Be Giants' 'Here Comes Science' has been in steady rotation for them for 6 months now. A rap album about the solar system is right up their alley.

They love the Dino 5, too, but while it's a fun album, it's full of terrible science.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 11:53 AM

80. "So now we're dissing emcees for being ambitious? Okay."
In response to Reply # 0

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 03:32 PM

82. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 80

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Justin_Maldonado_7
Charter member
5042 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 01:52 AM

85. "Maybe if Primo produced the entire album..lol"
In response to Reply # 0

>(yeah I know that's a Ghost lyric, not GZA, but work with
>me)
>
>With "Dark Matter", dude really is going to rhyming about
>stars, planets, and quasars.
>
>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640104577436392955009490.html
>
>A Rapper Finds His Muse in the Stars
>
>
>By ANNA LOUIE SUSSMAN
>Daniella Zalcman for The Wall Street Journal
>
>The rapper GZA at the Hayden Planetarium, which inspired a new
>project.
>
>On an early May afternoon in the offices of Neil deGrasse
>Tyson, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, a model of
>Saturn caught the eye of a 45-year-old high-school dropout,
>and a lyric was born.
>
>"I thought, this is probably the longest spinning record in
>the world," said GZA, the hip-hop artist and founding member
>of the Wu-Tang Clan, referring to the ring system surrounding
>the planet. About a week later, the words crystallized and he
>offered them over a vegetarian lunch on the Upper West Side.
>
>"God put the needle on the disc of Saturn / The record he
>played revealed blueprints and patterns," he rapped in his
>signature rhythmic baritone, offering a taste from his
>forthcoming album, "Dark Matter," an exploration of the cosmos
>filtered through the mind of a rapper known among his peers as
>"the Genius."
>
>GZA, with Neil deGrasse Tyson, the director of the Hayden
>Planetarium, in Mr. Tyson's office at the Museum of Natural
>History.
>
>Informed by meetings with top physicists and cosmologists at
>MIT and Cornell University, "Dark Matter" is intended to be
>the first in a series of albums that GZA—born Gary Grice in
>Brooklyn in 1966—will put out in the next few years, several
>of which are designed to get a wide audience hooked on
>science.
>
>"Dark Matter" is scheduled for a fall release. Another album
>will focus on the life aquatic, a subject he's fleshing out
>with visits to the labs of marine biologists and researchers,
>as well as meetings with the likes of Philippe Cousteau.
>
>"After 'Dark Matter,' he said, "we'll be back on earth, but in
>the ocean."
>
>In between will come "Liquid Swords 1.5," for which GZA will
>re-record the lyrics to his beloved 1995 album "Liquid
>Swords," backed by live bands.
>
>Composer and producer Marco Vitali, a Juilliard-trained
>violinist, is helping to score "Dark Matter." He recalled a
>recent meeting in which GZA explained the images that the
>music should convey.
>
>"We talked about frenetic energy, outer space, molecules
>crashing into each other, organized chaos," Mr. Vitali said.
>"The grandeur of the fact that the universe was born in a
>millionth of a second, in this explosion that created billions
>of stars, these overpowering ideas that are bigger than we can
>conceive. How do we make the record feel like that?"
>
>In other words, how does one score the majesty of the entire
>universe?
>
>"We don't have the answers yet," conceded Mr. Vitali. One
>thing he does know is that the score will utilize "the power
>of an entire orchestra," likely one from a smaller European
>country, to keep costs down.
>
>Enlarge Image
>GZA
>GZA
>Scott Gries/ImageDirect/Getty Images
>
>The rapper performs with the Wu-Tang Clan in 2001.
>
>For GZA, a major challenge is convincing skeptics for whom
>hip-hop and an academic subject like physics seem
>incompatible.
>
>"It's gonna sound so boring to most people," the rapper said.
>"There have been times when I've been told, 'Oh, you're doing
>an album about physics? I hope it's not boring.' They don't
>get the idea. Because rappers are so one-dimensional, so
>narrow-minded, it comes off corny."
>
>Still, he believes that "Dark Matter" will tap into the innate
>curiosity of listeners—even those with no outward interest in
>science.
>
>"I don't think people have ever really been in touch with
>science," he said. "They're drawn to it, but they don't know
>why they're drawn to it. For example, you may be blown away by
>the structure of something, like a soccer ball or a geodesic
>dome, with its hexagonal shapes. Or how you can take a strand
>of hair and can get someone's whole drug history. They're
>different forms of science, but it's still science."
>
>He plans to package "Dark Matter" with a short illustrated
>book that may also include the album's lyrics and a glossary,
>"like an epic textbook," he said.
>
>Penny Chisholm, a professor of environmental science at MIT,
>said she'd welcome the chance to use a GZA album as a teaching
>tool. She met with him last December when he came to visit her
>lab, where she researches the ocean phytoplankton
>Prochlorococcus, the most abundant photosynthetic cell on the
>planet.
>
>"He'd been doing his homework on the oceans," Ms. Chisholm
>said. "I was struck by his appreciation of the complexity of
>ecology and physics, and his views on life. I think he's now
>on a new mission, and he could play an important role in
>getting various messages out through his art form—about the
>earth, and science. That's why I've become a fan."
>
>It's that kind of academic inspiration that a young Gary Grice
>could have used growing up in Brooklyn in the 1970s. He was
>always smart: Before he was the GZA, he could recite nursery
>rhymes backward and forward.
>
>"He was the Genius, and we called him genius because we knew
>that he was a genius," said Raekwon, another founding member
>of the Wu-Tang Clan, the legendary Staten Island hip-hop crew
>formed in the early '90s.
>
>But as he came of age, the city's blossoming hip-hop scene
>exerted its own gravitational pull, drawing him away from the
>classroom. He cut class most days, staying home to write
>lyrics or hang out with friends and make demos.
>
>"I thought I knew more than what they were teaching in
>school," he said. "When you look back on it now, it's foolish
>to be cutting because we had so much more opportunity than
>now. When I look back at high school, or even junior high, we
>had all the things that kids don't have now: woodshop,
>ceramics, metal class, electric class, graphic arts, graphic
>design."
>
>Instead he poured his efforts into music. A first album,
>"Words From the Genius," failed to make a splash in 1991. Two
>years later, he and eight friends—including two cousins, who
>would become the RZA and Ol' Dirty Bastard—released "Enter the
>Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," a critical entry in the hip-hop canon.
>His solo follow-up, "Liquid Swords," went gold, winning
>acclaim for its sophisticated lyrics.
>
>Despite have left school in the 10th grade, GZA nurtured his
>affection for science as he developed his skills as a
>lyricist.
>
>"There were certain things that grabbed my interest, such as
>photosynthesis, such as us living off plants and plants living
>off us," he said. "You look at everything in that light—so if
>I'm looking at ice cubes, I might start thinking about
>absolute zero, or Fahrenheit and Celsius. There's so much that
>can make me think about science."
>
>In 1995, when he released "Liquid Swords," GZA solidified his
>stature as the Wu-Tang Clan's most recognizable lyricist with
>lines like "I be the body dropper, the heartbeat stopper /
>child educator plus head amputator." Nearly two decades later,
>"Dark Matter," with its rejection of the braggadocio and
>violence often found in hip-hop and its embrace of poetry and
>natural imagery, could finally enable this father of two to
>seize that mantle of "child educator."
>
>"There's no parental advisory, no profanity, no nudity," he
>said. "The only thing that's going to be stripped bare is the
>planets."
>
>A version of this article appeared May 31, 2012, on page A19
>in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the
>headline: A Rapper Finds His Muse in the Stars.
>

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #155098 Previous topic | Next topic