Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #11384

Subject: "Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Marques Jamaal
Member since Dec 03rd 2003
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"

Concepts or Negative Stereotypes associated with Blackface/Minstrelsy/and or Post Slavery Degredation Rhetoric:

Black Male/ Female: Hyper sexual, overly aggressive, simple minded, animalistic, devious, criminal.

Current Hip Hop Generation Manifestations:

50 Cent: Hypersexual, i.e. "Magic Stick", "P.I.M.P.", overly agressive, i.e., any of his other songs, criminal, i.e. any of his other songs. The reason that 50 Cent sells so many records is not due to his musical talent as emcee/songwriter, but more his super-thug gangsta-pimp image. This image reaffirms old school ideologies/misconceptions/stereotypes of Black people in general as the sub-human, meta-animal, other. The exact opposite of all traits white people are supposed to exemplify, in the same theoretiacl context.

Nelly: Embodies many of the same characteristics as 50 but falls more in the light of the trickster, who constantly is schemming, deceitful, but still hyper sexual in nature, usually after material goods, and women, lazy, etc.

*I could continue, but will not*

Lil' Kim: "Queen Bitch" how easy can it get, exemplifies hyper sexual unmotherly, characteristics, that were ascribed to black women during slavery and there after.

The Video "Ho": Understatement of Lil' Kim.

This is the imagery that passes as hip hop/rap music and it is being sold to black, brown, yellow, red, and white youth in america, it reaffirms old school stereotypes and passes along racist ideologies to a new generation through a language they can understand clearly. It is reinforced by old boy network dollars, and held up with puppet figure heads, i.e., Puff, Russell, Babyface, etc. and passed off as reality to the masses. Reagardless if these black men are nice people or they mean well, they are business men and they understand what sells and are purposely pedaling this imagery because it does just that...it sells. For every penny they attempt ot give back they recieve a thousand dollars in blood money as they pedaling stereotypes that are reinforcing the systematic oppression of people of color, as infecting the minds of white america with recycled racism.

I'm not in a postion to offer solutions and would like to open it up to the opinions of others, and see how other knowledgeable people or othrewise view the issues/concepts, I've briefly and probably unjustly given voice to.

============================================================
Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*stands on the sidelines and watches*
Dec 09th 2003
typo
Dec 09th 2003
RE: typo
Dec 09th 2003
That's why I pick and choose
Dec 09th 2003
I dig this ...
Dec 09th 2003
Cosign...........
Dec 09th 2003
      Addition...........
Dec 09th 2003
RE: That's why I pick and choose
Dec 09th 2003
      Not really
Dec 09th 2003
RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface
Dec 09th 2003
Hey Monie is a pretty good show
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
da band
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
archetypes in hip hop culture
Dec 09th 2003
why would you not call it blackface.
Dec 09th 2003
      RE: why would you not call it blackface.
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!
Dec 09th 2003
RE: No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!
Dec 09th 2003
      RE: No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!
Dec 09th 2003
      { }
Dec 09th 2003
           If Russ and Puff don't control shit...
Dec 09th 2003
                Lets get something straight...
Dec 09th 2003
      Russell and Puffy don't control shit okay
Dec 09th 2003
           cosign and shit n/m
Dec 09th 2003
                You two are silly...
Dec 09th 2003
i had fairly high hopes for this post
Dec 09th 2003
Co-sign
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
it's cuz u're too worried what white people think
Dec 09th 2003
one liner queen
Dec 09th 2003
      Unless You're taking an ACTIVE part
Dec 09th 2003
This is tired
Dec 09th 2003
Like who?
Dec 09th 2003
      for starters
Dec 09th 2003
M&M and Kid Rock
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003
           if you had a real brain you would of...house n***a
Dec 09th 2003
disagree
Dec 09th 2003
damn
Dec 09th 2003
Dec 09th 2003

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "*stands on the sidelines and watches*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

pdafunk
Charter member
5445 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "typo"
In response to Reply # 0

"both black, brown, yellow, red, and white youth in america"

both?

------
"I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try."

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:21 AM

3. "RE: typo"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

Yank
Charter member
24509 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:31 AM

4. "That's why I pick and choose"
In response to Reply # 0

who I listen too.

It's a tough underwriting process to make in my collection.

Lies run sprints.
Truths run marathons.

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:40 AM

7. "I dig this ..."
In response to Reply # 4

I really do struggle to find good authentic representations of the african american experience in hip hop, which was once an abundant source of nurishment for the weary soul and is now just fodder the cannons that THEY, who ever they may be, are using to blast wholes in the theories that are me.

Only a few releases this year have that perspective I'm looking for. It is truly a barren terrain, the life is gone and the water has run dry, for the people who created the style, and now are unable to the self in it.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

WindConga
Member since May 29th 2003
4506 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:35 PM

40. "Cosign..........."
In response to Reply # 7

At one time HipHop was a strong Afrikan-American weapon but as of yet it has falling short of its true potential.

-These catz drink champagne, and toast death & pain, like slaves on the ship talkin' bout who got the flyest chains-
-Talib Kweli

www.myspace.com/chriswynd

WindConga
Member since May 29th 2003
4506 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:37 PM

42. "Addition..........."
In response to Reply # 40

BUT WE GON' CHANGE THAT RIGHT????????

I KNOW WE ARE CUS' POSTERITY DEPENDS ON IT!

-These catz drink champagne, and toast death & pain, like slaves on the ship talkin' bout who got the flyest chains-
-Talib Kweli

www.myspace.com/chriswynd

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10152 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:50 AM

15. "RE: That's why I pick and choose"
In response to Reply # 4

its a tough struggle homie...

"you wanna see god? take a look in the mirror..."
-kris parker

"oh i wish...i was a catfish...swimmin in laaawd...the deep blue sea.... id have...all you pretty womans...fishin after me...."
-Jimi Hendrix

I walks up in this muthafucka like i know what im talkin about because.....i do.

Yank
Charter member
24509 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 08:22 AM

25. "Not really"
In response to Reply # 15

a little luck and knowledge will get you by....

I mean granted I have a couple of suck ass CD's in my collection but if you do your homework you should be fine... A old tool that I use to use was the old school Blockbuster Music booths. I actually discovered DYWM way back in 1995 there. The new store today is FYE. you just scan the bar code and you can listen to it before you buy. Not to mention snippets on the internet helps a lot too. But mostly I stick with Producers when I buy, if its a producer that Im fond of (ie. Soul Supreme, Kev Brown) then it's an automatic purchase until they get wack, hence I have "some" wack ones in there.

Lies run sprints.
Truths run marathons.

BlackPowerDread
Member since Dec 09th 2003
53 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:32 AM

5. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the what I was talking about in a post I made a few weeks back. All these rappers with the blinged out teeth, chains, pimp suits, pimp talk, and rims, are nothing more than modern day Minstrel shows. Everyone trying to show who is the most niggerish, the biggest coon, so on and so forth. I agree with brother Spike Lee when he lashed out against these modern day Sambos. Then we wonder why we aren't given the respect, or taken seriously, have you watched BET?! Matter of fact, does BET have any show on their that doesn't promote negative stereotypes? Hell no.

Don't say no bad words you ain't no puppet show/always use manners when I'm eating a sloppy Jooo-ooooe/Yeah go on and on and on and on and on/Peace!! -Jiggy Fly

This is protected by the Red, the Black, and the Green!!

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Hey Monie is a pretty good show"
In response to Reply # 5

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:43 AM

11. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 5

BET stands for Blackface Exist Today.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

dmind
Member since Nov 18th 2002
3155 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:06 PM

38. "da band"
In response to Reply # 5

making the band really put on the red lipstick, its a damn shame

Okay Lurker
Member since Oct 03rd 2003
386 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:40 AM

8. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 0

this post would've been more timely when Bamboozled dropped.

i'd suggest watching that movie or revisiting it.. Spike implicates ALL black entertainers (not just hip-hop) and how they play a part in the black-face tradition. even us few blacks who don't feel that they entertain are addressed as well..

but yea, you're right.. hip-hop has always been a glaring example. how more minstrel of a name can you get than "ol' dirty bastard."

chienyenwa
Member since May 20th 2002
957 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:42 AM

9. "archetypes in hip hop culture"
In response to Reply # 0

actually, im writing a paper about this very subject for my african american lit final. i wouldnt call hip hop "modern day blackface" but the same archetypes you see popularized during the minstrel era you can easily identify in the culture due to mainstream american cultural tradition and commercialization of hip hop (the people that control(ed) and consume(d) both minstrelsy and hip hop are the same audience). the paper is far from complete (though i will be bustin ass all this week with other finals) but later on if this post still exists and my ideas are more developed ill holla back.

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:46 AM

12. "why would you not call it blackface."
In response to Reply # 9

I think more than ever the spread of hip hop has made the so-called styles of black people urban "code for N***A" chic, and more and white people are wearing wht they believe to be our identity. I think it is definitley a black face mentality.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

chienyenwa
957 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:52 AM

18. "RE: why would you not call it blackface."
In response to Reply # 12

i dont think its blackface because its something we invented. minstrel shows were a collection of the identities people wrote for black people. hip hop and it participants are more complex than some 2D archetypes HOWEVER when you have mainstream white america (record labels) controlling the images that get out and the records that get played who do you think will sell? im not saying that records labels forced field mob to ride around on some pigs in the "tired of being lonely" video im just saying that records labels are predisposed to sign artists that will fit a certain type and sell to mainstream america, dig?

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:04 AM

27. "RE: why would you not call it blackface."
In response to Reply # 18

>i dont think its blackface because its something we
>invented. minstrel shows were a collection of the
>identities people wrote for black people.

It still is a bunch of formulated identities it has not changed, it is just recycled, and remixed to fit todays social context.

>hip hop and it
>participants are more complex than some 2D archetypes
>HOWEVER when you have mainstream white america (record
>labels) controlling the images that get out and the records
>that get played who do you think will sell?

So how are we inventing or changing anything if everything we do has to be done to cater towards there often fictional conceptualizations of blackness, sounds like blackface to me...?

>im not saying
>that records labels forced field mob to ride around on some
>pigs in the "tired of being lonely" video im just saying
>that records labels are predisposed to sign artists that
>will fit a certain type and sell to mainstream america, dig?

Exactly why it's blackface.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

chienyenwa
957 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 04:23 PM

44. "RE: why would you not call it blackface."
In response to Reply # 27
Tue Dec-09-03 04:24 PM

youre not hearing what im saying. some people make music for themselves, some people make music to sell millions of records. all of hip hop doesnt fall into the latter category. if you look at it through BET, MTV, radio, news, etc. in the year 2003 then yeah, you could say its minstrelsy. if you look at it on a broader scope (the time before big companies got invovled, through diff. media sources, etc.) it wont look the same. so like i said before, *I, me, myself, chienyenwa* would not call it "blackface" that cheapens and narrows the culture. i would say hip hop has some problems, but shit, everyone says that.

edit: im not silly, bruh

sun_das_ill
Member since Nov 29th 2002
11308 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

It's controlled by white corperations.

http://sundasill.tumblr.com/

volleyneck
Member since Aug 23rd 2003
1767 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:47 AM

13. "RE: No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

>It's controlled by white corperations.

how do Russell and Puffy get so tan? I hope they use sunscreen!

*~.~:~.~*~I~*~.~:~.~*

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:51 AM

16. "RE: No fucking shit!!!! NEXT!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Good point v-neck I think that whole the white man controlls everything is a striaght cop job. It's bull, we have as many fake reps as validating this shit as they do putting money behind it let alone every rapper that is being pimped out of his artistic creations and talent, but has the nerve to make songs, called P.I.M.P., and Pimp Juice, the "ho" mentality is strong why you think Don "Magic" Juan been hanging with these cats he knows a good "ho" when he sees one.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

sun_das_ill
11308 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "{ }"
In response to Reply # 16

You know not of what you speak of,it's obvious.do research.

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:11 AM

28. "If Russ and Puff don't control shit..."
In response to Reply # 20

they still play apart, cause the white people in charge have no voice in the conciousness of the african american community at all, so they need Puffs and Russ' to vouch and co-sign for this trash. They play as much of a role as anyone the artist as well

You do research.

Don't come with that higher than thou mess, cause you have yet to say anything insightful, and the obvious is that without black people vouching for these ideas and taking them on then white people in charge wouldn't be able to make a buck, but you need that snake to infiltrate his own and spread the word that is what Puff and Russ are they want to be a Tommy Mottola someday that is what they are striving for they are no longer apart of the many but the few. That is what's obvious, you are so psuedo it's transparent.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

sun_das_ill
11308 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:37 PM

41. "Lets get something straight..."
In response to Reply # 28

The african american community have absolutely no power when it comes to determine a artist success. Those days are dead. The african community only cultivate these stars and that's it. Through the evolution and individual idealism ala the internet. Artist have to contain energy while directing in audiences non african american.
What puffy and russ have done was create a business that profits off these artist. The actual saleing of cd's retail are catered by these people.Russ and Puff have to sell their product to wholesale corperation. These BIllion dollar retail companies are looking to russ and puss as the slick car sales men that can sale a car to sell or convince the public to buy through the energy of these each indivdual artist.

Puff and Russ package artist still they have to cater to wholesale retail...who actually determine soundscans....etc,etc...

sun_das_ill
11308 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:53 AM

19. "Russell and Puffy don't control shit okay"
In response to Reply # 13

They are the front men.

chienyenwa
957 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:57 AM

21. "cosign and shit n/m"
In response to Reply # 19

n/m

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:13 AM

29. "You two are silly..."
In response to Reply # 21

That is exactly why they are at fault they are the puppets getting pimped and pimping their people in return.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:50 AM

14. "i had fairly high hopes for this post"
In response to Reply # 0

but it's pretty much veered off the road into Lameville and doesn't show too many signs of coming back

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49519 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 08:45 AM

26. "Co-sign"
In response to Reply # 14

I posted something similar to this a couple of months ago and it died a tragic death.

BTW orginal poster

what the hell does "meta-animal" mean? I do not think that "meta" means what you think it means (c)the princess bride

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Delete me
Member since Aug 27th 2002
8611 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 07:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. ""
In response to Reply # 0

and his concept of "bricolage"

Ghetto
Member since Aug 30th 2002
5824 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 08:01 AM

22. "it's cuz u're too worried what white people think"
In response to Reply # 0

FREE GEORGE CLINTON!

http://www.premiercrumusic.com

good g.a.w.d.

PRAY 4 THE EAGLES/FREE GEORGE CLINTON!

holy mary mother of g.a.w.d

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:14 AM

30. "one liner queen"
In response to Reply # 22

no substance.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

Ghetto
Member since Aug 30th 2002
5824 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:26 AM

35. "Unless You're taking an ACTIVE part"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue Dec-09-03 11:39 AM

in changing the landscape of black music (like i do EVERYDAY), u ain't saying shit.

FREE GEORGE CLINTON!

good g.a.w.d.

PRAY 4 THE EAGLES/FREE GEORGE CLINTON!

holy mary mother of g.a.w.d

VonClay
Charter member
21865 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 08:09 AM

23. "This is tired"
In response to Reply # 0

get over it.

You forgot to add some of the groups in your sig.

Outkast - ATLiens
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
Method Man - Tical
J-Live - The Best Part
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Nappy Roots - Wooden Leather
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Nights
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal...

Instagram: @von_clay

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:15 AM

32. "Like who?"
In response to Reply # 23

Don't just say something and not back it up. Stand behind what you say if you have something to be said. Too many one line wonders.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

VonClay
Charter member
21865 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 12:37 PM

37. "for starters"
In response to Reply # 32

Method Man - Tical
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Nappy Roots - Wooden Leather
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Nights

Instagram: @von_clay

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 08:17 AM

24. "M&M and Kid Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

Beatie Boys, Vanilla Ice, Bubba Sparx et al.

You got it...

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:15 AM

31. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 0

Whats sad is that you still got these house niggas that care so much what Daddy Cracka thinks of them

------------------------------
Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:17 AM

33. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 31

true, these artist are to concerned with trying to sell records to white kids and pleasing white america.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:24 AM

34. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 33

>true, these artist are to concerned with trying to sell
>records to white kids and pleasing white america.

UHHHHH i wasnt agreeing with you cuz.

------------------------------
Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

Marques Jamaal
464 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 11:26 AM

36. "if you had a real brain you would of...house n***a"
In response to Reply # 34

and you don't even know it.

Get off my swagger, duke
- The Great Swagmatic

sugababy
Member since Mar 19th 2003
17500 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:10 PM

39. "disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

--
www.twitter.com/rosaliiinda

Abbstrack
Charter member
24235 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 01:40 PM

43. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

i came on way to late to make my 'afkap?' response

Darfur Sucks! Free Paris (Hilton)! - Don Cheadle

www.abdulsmith.com

Nathaniel
Charter member
9962 posts
Tue Dec-09-03 05:15 PM

45. "RE: Hip Hop = Modern Day Blackface"
In response to Reply # 0

If that's blackface...I would hate to see "coonery".

King James Bible states in (1st Corinthians 14:8-9)-"..Again, If the trumpet does NOT sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?..So it is with you."

For an audible glimpse of my sound, click here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9549455779abe02a/

Lobby The Lesson The Lesson Archives topic #11384 Previous topic | Next topic