Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #53755

Subject: ""acquisition" p2p software for mac -- what's the catch?" Previous topic | Next topic
rogue_scholar
Member since Feb 14th 2003
7647 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 02:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""acquisition" p2p software for mac -- what's the catch?"

what's a good reason NOT to download and use acquisition?

anything shady or wack about it?

rs

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i use it
Feb 16th 2006
the catch is...
Feb 16th 2006
what do u think can happen, lol??
Feb 16th 2006
The first Mac OS X Virus?
Feb 16th 2006
      and thats not even a virus...
Feb 16th 2006
           it infects other files..that's a virus...and even it was only a trojan, ...
Feb 16th 2006
                No, it's a malicious app renamed to something unsuspecting.
Feb 16th 2006
                     exactly..
Feb 16th 2006
                     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus
Feb 16th 2006
                          RE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus
Feb 16th 2006
                               *sigh*
Feb 16th 2006
the catch is: it's so slow , it's useless...
Feb 16th 2006
Use "Acqlite"
Feb 16th 2006
True
Mar 14th 2006

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 05:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i use it"
In response to Reply # 0

i have had no problems, im thinking about registering and paying for it to get rid of the nags, but registering a p2p app seems kinda dumb

nonaime
Charter member
3030 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 06:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the catch is..."
In response to Reply # 0

you gotta use a mac.

I'll be here all week
*drops mic*

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
56868 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 08:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "what do u think can happen, lol??"
In response to Reply # 0

...if you were on a pc you would be geting adware and viruses from the jump ...on a mac, all your gonna get is the files you asked for

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 10PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

nonaime
Charter member
3030 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 09:53 AM

4. "The first Mac OS X Virus?"
In response to Reply # 3

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180579

da da duun

~~~~~~~~

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
56868 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 10:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "and thats not even a virus..."
In response to Reply # 4

...if it was a real virus, it would be the 1st in 5 YEARS!! ..lol, there are currently thousands of PC viruses on the loose today alone, not to mention all the ad ware

..but nice try

nonaime
Charter member
3030 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 11:48 AM

6. "it infects other files..that's a virus...and even it was only a trojan, ..."
In response to Reply # 5

guys, whenever the topic of viruses on OS X spring up, will admit to trojans but not viruses. As if being infected by a trojan is better than being infected by a virus. lol

~~~~~~~~

hype_phb
Member since May 15th 2003
2281 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 12:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "No, it's a malicious app renamed to something unsuspecting."
In response to Reply # 6

There's no way to NOT have something like that. Anyone could write a script that fucks up someone's computer, rename it "NakedJessicaAlba.zip" and cause havoc with anyone dumb enough to open it.

The reason it's not a virus, is because the user THEMSELVES has to uncompress it and run it...hell, you have to type your administrator password for it to work....hence, NOT a virus (something that spreads without the user knowing or giving permission).

Bringing you unpopular posts since 2003.

"Einstein has a formula, Wu Tang has a formula. A part equals a square and all that stuff, you know what Iím saying? We have a formula, too."

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
56868 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 12:26 PM

8. "exactly.."
In response to Reply # 7

nonaime
Charter member
3030 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 12:44 PM

9. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Feb-16-06 12:53 PM by nonaime

"...a virus is a self-replicating program that spreads by inserting copies of itself into other executable code or documents..."

This is what the program does. How the user is tricked into getting their computer infected has nothing to do with it. It about the behavior of said prgram.

It doesn't install another program onto the computer...trojan
It doesn't spread to other machines via network protocols...worm
It doesn't generate pop ups...ad ware
It copies its code into other the code of other programs...virus

Therefore, it is a...say it with me...VIRUS. And, I'll say it again, you guys act as though malware is okay...as long as it isn't a virus.

The original poster wanted to know about acquisition and the first thing out you mac zealots' mouth was there's nothing out there that can you harm you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180579 <== Well, there it is.

~~~~~~~~

hype_phb
Member since May 15th 2003
2281 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus"
In response to Reply # 9

>"...a virus is a self-replicating program that spreads by
>inserting copies of itself into other executable code or
>documents..."
>
>This is what the program does. How the user is tricked into
>getting their computer infected has nothing to do with it. It
>about the behavior of said prgram.

But you're ignoring the fact that a user has to initially run it THEMSELVES before it can start any of that...thus the arguement can be made that it is NOT self-replicating; it needs a user's help to replicate.

>Therefore, it is a...say it with me...VIRUS. And, I'll say it
>again, you guys act as though malware is okay...as long as it
>isn't a virus.

I'm not acting like Malware is ok, I'm simply stating that there is NO WAY to prevent this situation; it's a shitty program renamed to confuse people. Short of not being able to rename files, I can't think of a way to avoid this. At least OSX prompts you for an administrator's password before any damage is done; you have to conciously OK the file a number of times before it goes to work.

>The original poster wanted to know about acquisition and the
>first thing out you mac zealots' mouth was there's nothing out
>there that can you harm you.
>
>http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180579 <== Well,
>there it is.

Where, exactly, did I say that? Please show me....oh right, I didn't. You can pull stuff like this out all you want, but we all know that Windows is more vulnerable to these sorts of things; hate the Mac or love it, it's not really a debatable point, at all....

Bringing you unpopular posts since 2003.

"Einstein has a formula, Wu Tang has a formula. A part equals a square and all that stuff, you know what Iím saying? We have a formula, too."

nonaime
Charter member
3030 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 02:03 PM

12. "*sigh*"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Feb-16-06 02:11 PM by nonaime

>But you're ignoring the fact that a user has to initially run
>it THEMSELVES before it can start any of that...thus the
>arguement can be made that it is NOT self-replicating; it
>needs a user's help to replicate.

Well all viruses require some level of user interaction. I can have a boatlaod of infected email attachments on my windows machine. If I don't click anything nothing happens. Even if there were a virus that was truly "self replicating"...well I still have to turn on the computer.

The interaction between the virus and the user has nothing to do with it. It's about the interaction between the virus and the files on the computer. The virus is inserting itself into other programs. The user isn't decompiling programs and then altering the code.

>At least
>OSX prompts you for an administrator's password before any
>damage is done; you have to conciously OK the file a number of
>times before it goes to work.

But see, that's where mac users miss it. Social engineering makes all that pointless. That's how Window users' computers are infected. I get junk mail that I know have infected attachments DAILY. I can't remmeber the last time I got infected by a virus...McAfee has nothing to do with it.

If I'm trying to get your computer infected, I'm going to package it so that you WANT to go through all the authentication steps. All those mac users on that Mac rumor site wanted so badly to see the next version of OS X that they gladly went through all that. They could include a retina scanner on all Macintosh computers...still wouldn't have prevented this...Observe:

"Oh wow, this member should be banned. I downloaded the file and it comes up as a picture file then when I click on it it pops open Terminal and runs something. Looks like someone attempted to make a Mac virus...

Reported."

"lol, i downloaded it and ran it. Now if this was a pc, i would have already reformatted and reinstalled it. But since im on a mac right now im just like WTF. has anyone been able to find out what it does exactly. Probably not somthing harmful since you would have had to enter your password.
Edit: whats even funnier is that i was 'lucky' enough to download the file before it was changed by a mod. That person should be banned, even though he is less than likely to comeback."

^^^^This guy is a real genius. If the file had been more dangerous, they would be reformatting as well. lol.

I removed the link just in case the file was still there. Don't want any of you mac users hosing your machines.

~~~~~~~~

BreezeBoogie
Charter member
7899 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 01:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
11. "the catch is: it's so slow , it's useless..."
In response to Reply # 0

to me. with limewire, at least i'll get some of the files i'll attempt to download.

-----------------------
"I'm so glad I got my own
I'm so glad that I can see
my life's a natural high
the man can't put no thing on me" (c) Curtis Mayfield

theGriddler
Member since Sep 29th 2002
1612 posts
Thu Feb-16-06 08:52 PM

13. "Use "Acqlite""
In response to Reply # 0

It's very similar, and open-source. Less of a resource hog, too.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.-George Orwell

Shinri
Member since Dec 04th 2002
1099 posts
Tue Mar-14-06 01:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
14. "True"
In response to Reply # 13

Acquisition has been my beast of burden since these torrents have been slow. But Acqlite is better.

My Ol Dirty Ipod playlist:

Snakes
The Stomp
Brooklyn Zoo
Shimmy Shimmy Ya
Shame on a Nigga
Rawhide
M.C Conditioner
Dog Shit
Ghetto Superstar
Windpipe