Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #43148

Subject: "Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES" Previous topic | Next topic
Bridgetown
Member since Dec 04th 2004
27565 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 03:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES"

It happened more than once. Arcade games that either couldn't be fully done right on the NES, or games that were just radically different on the NES just because.

Sometimes they were far better than the original. Take Bionic Commando, for instance.

Sometimes they just shouldn't have attempted it. Take Street Fighter 2010... please.

How many games were like this? Here's what I remember, off the top of my head (with a indication of how I thought they pulled it off):
Bionic Commando (far better)
Strider (not nearly as good... but not bad, either)
Section Z (didn't like either)
SF:2010 (yeech)
Rygar (not as good... but not the worst game)

...that's all I can remember for now. Were there any more that you can recall? What'd you think about the above "interpretations"?

--Maurice

_____

Bonding over sutures is what's hot in Oh-Nine.
--JS

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
SF 2010 was horrible
Nov 28th 2005
True.
Nov 28th 2005
RE: Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES
Nov 28th 2005

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "SF 2010 was horrible"
In response to Reply # 0

Although, I remember it was the only new game I had during a gaming rut, and I eventually beat it. Wasn't it like Ken travelled to the future, put on some body armor, and went kicking ass?

It was NOTHING like SF. I almost feel it was probably a different game in Japan, and Capcom just threw the street fighter name on it to try to get someone to buy it.

truth0ne SGC
Member since Sep 25th 2003
38103 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 09:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "True."
In response to Reply # 1

"Final Fight" was supposed to be the sequel to "Street Fighter".
I don't know what they were doing with that 2010 shit.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES"
In response to Reply # 0

- Dragon's Lair is the King of this category. The NES was capable (to some extent) of recreating the original even if some of the levels had to be cut. I had Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on my old Atari ST and each game took up 3 double-sided single density floppies. This pretty much means that the NES COULD have had a decent, cartoon-like translation if they had put the work into it necessary to do it right and it would have fit nicely on an 8Mb/1MB cart.

- Ninja Gaiden for the NES was another cart that me and crew bought on the strength of the arcade original. Completely different in every way from the original game, though definitely one of the NES's better games.

If memory serves me right Donkey Kong and DK Jr were both missing a level, not that it's the same as being changed completely, but I thought I would mention it.

Lobby High-Tech topic #43148 Previous topic | Next topic