Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #305970

Subject: "The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience (YouTube link)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Sun Dec-12-21 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience (YouTube link)"

https://youtu.be/WU0gvPcc3jQ

Apparently, this is all rendered from the game engine, sans a couple of cut scenes - likely during the scenes featuring The Construct.

I don't play games anymore but this might get me back. The graphics look remarkable, especially since this is at the demo stage. I imagine that developers will further refine and optimize this software over time.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this thing is cool 'cause you can touch it, the demo last year was wilde...
Dec 12th 2021
I do think I like the demo you linked to more.
Dec 14th 2021
I didn't even think about getting in a car
Dec 13th 2021
RE: I didn't even think about getting in a car
Dec 17th 2021
AMAZING!!!
Dec 13th 2021
Hopefully this will serve as a benchmark
Dec 13th 2021
This isn't going to be a game. This is Epic Special Projects
Dec 13th 2021
      Thank you for that info
Dec 17th 2021
Downloaded the demo on my PS5...really good...
Dec 17th 2021
I took a screenshot on the second tallest building
Dec 17th 2021

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sun Dec-12-21 09:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "this thing is cool 'cause you can touch it, the demo last year was wilde..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

I still remember watching that and thinking I don't even care if Naughty Dog doesn't have any more story to tell, I need one more Uncharted from them ASAP

'Cause if this engine can do what's in THAT video, I can only imagine what the proprietary stuff is gonna kick out

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Tue Dec-14-21 02:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I do think I like the demo you linked to more."
In response to Reply # 1

The Matrix Awakened seems to have expanded on the scope of the demo you posted. With more moving parts, there are more broken parts.

But I imagine once developers get their hands on this, the sky is going to be the limit.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 01:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I didn't even think about getting in a car"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Fri Dec-17-21 09:39 AM

8. "RE: I didn't even think about getting in a car"
In response to Reply # 2

But you were supposed to get in Dynamic Accidents?!

I get that I'm overreaching, but the one thing I was hoping this demo was going to show was the ability to have all the building be actual buildings that you could somehow walk in, even if they were just hallways of doors like the Matrix for now lol. Just one of those things games in cities always feels like they lack.

---------------------
Obviously White

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 02:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "AMAZING!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

...but it gets boring pretty quick since it's not a game with missions besides the first car chase ..but HOLY SHIT it looks AMAZING.

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Numba_33
Charter member
19330 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 04:49 PM

4. "Hopefully this will serve as a benchmark"
In response to Reply # 0

for other game developers planning to use the same game engine for the PS5.

My actual interest in this Matrix game is on the fence because I haven't watched the other Matrix sequels and I have a fleeting suspicion this game might be pretty to look at, but will be shallow and boring in terms of the gameplay. Hopefully I am wrong in that latter assessment.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 07:59 PM

5. "This isn't going to be a game. This is Epic Special Projects"
In response to Reply # 4

One benefit of all that Fortnite money is they got to double down on Unreal 5 and create an internal team whose only point is to prove concepts; Unreal is probably still more well-known than Unity but Unity has a much, much larger market share because it's so much better suited for small teams and small games.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-inside-the-matrix-awakens-previewing-the-future-of-gaming-graphics

This is the really eye-opening part, though the whole thing is worth a read:

"But what the team are looking to emphasise is how dynamic this system is and the opportunities this gives to developers. The Matrix Awakens was created by a relatively small team with around 20 to 30 people handling the assets and around 50 to 70 staff members in the team as a whole. Towards the end of the project, the project Slack channel increased to around 200 members as further personnel - such as marketing - entered the conversation. However, the process of creating the demo itself has led to significant optimisation to the point where if the project was rebooted from scratch, it could be achieved much more quickly.

Jerome Platteux explains: "Now, we will be so much faster, we're building the track when we are on the train itself - and sometimes we're building the train at the same time." Michal Valient adds that, "We're building the train... and the train's on fire.""

So there's a lot of caveats in there about things they did almost intentionally just to prove it was running on your console, like frame drops between camera jump cuts, or not working too hard on the physics engine's damage model for cars so it would feel less like a finished product.

But yea, this is playable on home consoles which is pretty wild for a tech demo, you almost never see a company that confident in their engine that they let the general public fuck around with it. The other demo I posted above is also playable behind closed doors for devs looking to license Unreal 5, but Epic's done working on them

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Numba_33
Charter member
19330 posts
Fri Dec-17-21 03:24 PM

10. "Thank you for that info"
In response to Reply # 5

Oddly enough, I still have the same mindset I had in my original post. The level of graphical detail I saw from the demo was quite impressive, but I can see actual gameplay being somewhat dull.

Pretty cool how malleable and collaborative this effort seems to be.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Fri Dec-17-21 09:36 AM

7. "Downloaded the demo on my PS5...really good..."
In response to Reply # 0

the engine is incredibly smooth, and the graphics are just so clean. Also cool how they let you play with the layers and options in the engine...

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Fri Dec-17-21 02:23 PM

9. "I took a screenshot on the second tallest building"
In response to Reply # 7

where one of the signs was, of the ventilation and all that stuff on top. Even getting as close as the flying cam let you, it looked like a real picture. The level of detail is crazy.

---------------------
Obviously White

Lobby High-Tech topic #305970 Previous topic | Next topic