Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #305861

Subject: "Folding Phones" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Thu Oct-21-21 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Folding Phones"

Does anyone have one? If so, which one and what has your experience with it been like? I am pretty sure my next phone will be a folding one.

I am considering getting the Z Fold 3 but I feel like next year will be much improved so it might be better to keep waiting. My biggest concern with the current one is the lack of certification against dust. I live in a dry and sandy place so it could potentially be an issue. I think it would probably be fine but it definitely gives me pause and makes me want to add a protection plan if I do get it.

I also don't like the lack of expandable storage but that seems to be the default for most phones moving forward.

I think the Z Fold 3 is the closest thing we have to the MS Courier concept. I'm definitely not as excited for it as I was back when prototypes and fan renderings were made of what it could be. It is definitely more attractive than the Surface Duo 2.

I'm thinking in 2022 Samsung will come out with one that will let you use the S Pen on the outside screen and provide a good way to actually carry the S Pen with the phone. Maybe even add dust certification.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Folding Phones
Oct 26th 2021
Even with $1000 off to trade in my Note 10+ its $800
Oct 27th 2021
      After my employee discount and his trade in
Oct 28th 2021
personally, i don't see the use in them
Oct 27th 2021
theyre making more sense to me but they are definitely not a need
Oct 27th 2021

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Tue Oct-26-21 02:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Folding Phones"
In response to Reply # 0

My son has the Z Fold 3. 90% of its use is Youtube videos. We paid less because I work for AT&T and he got $400 for his previous phone. We are shopping for a case that holds a s-pen

mista k5
16412 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Even with $1000 off to trade in my Note 10+ its $800"
In response to Reply # 1

Did you get a bigger discount than that?

I doubt I would be more productive with the phone its 100% for enjoyment lol Even if you don't use the fold out screen to watch videos using it folded up like a laptop to watch videos seems pretty cool. It should also be easy enough to prop it up for group selfies, I saw a picture of someone using one side as a reference and the other to sketch. That I'm a bit doubtful on its effectiveness as drawing on such a small space is just not great but it could be good for starting a drawing off.

Has he dropped it or had any close calls with damaging it?

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Thu Oct-28-21 07:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "After my employee discount and his trade in"
In response to Reply # 2

we paid like $480.
He follows some guy on youtube that shows a few different tricks and ideas for the phone. Theres a few games he play where one screen is the controller and other is the display.

biggest use so far is Xbox Cloud gaming. that big screen is a plus

beeinfinite
Member since Oct 20th 2021
195 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 04:35 PM

3. "personally, i don't see the use in them"
In response to Reply # 0

they strike me as a bit gimmicky/too thick. no idea how it would aid me in my life but to each his own.

mista k5
16412 posts
Wed Oct-27-21 05:46 PM

4. "theyre making more sense to me but they are definitely not a need"
In response to Reply # 3

ive always had interest in new concepts. i bought the HTC Evo 3D that had two cameras in order to take "3D" pictures back in the day lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_3D

right now folding phones are definitely too thick, theres a significant compromise on battery life, the visible crease when unfolded isnt great and theyre expensive. if it werent for that and the dust issue i mentioned i would probably already have one.

i really dont know if i get one if i will love it and it will change my view on them or if after a couple weeks it will just be another (heavier) phone.

Lobby High-Tech topic #305861 Previous topic | Next topic