Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304887

Subject: "The Outer Worlds (RPG)" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Outer Worlds (RPG)"

This is really good if you guys aren't playing it

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So far so good.
Nov 13th 2019
i have bad news for you...
Nov 15th 2019
      I sorta like the semi-open world structure.
Nov 18th 2019
           i think it's closer to a proof-of-concept than a complete game
Nov 18th 2019
I like getting my speech and intelligence checks early.
Dec 09th 2019
surprisingly good game
Dec 27th 2019

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 05:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "So far so good."
In response to Reply # 0

My only knock is that I'm not a RPG person so I get sick of talking to so many people sometimes.

---
Love,
Nopayne

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Nov-15-19 03:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i have bad news for you..."
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Nov-15-19 03:50 PM by bearfield

>My only knock is that I'm not a RPG person so I get sick of
>talking to so many people sometimes.

the meat of that game is dialogue trees, character development, and interactions with your party members. the wrapping around the writing is a sub par version of the bethesda open world games with poorly implemented systems and mechanics. i think this game really suffers from the lack of an open world because any chance of generating a sense of immersion is ruined when you load screen into the next area instead of walking across a wasteland or vale to discover it. it's unfortunate because the writing seems decent. i ended up uninstalling it from game pass for PC after about a dozen hours because i couldn't stomach the gameplay loop anymore

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Mon Nov-18-19 03:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I sorta like the semi-open world structure. "
In response to Reply # 2

I said that about this game and Borderlands 3:

This is what Mass Effect 1 was supposed to deliver. Remember when that game was coming out and they promised you a galaxy-spanning adventure, and what you got was one space station and a few generic planets with the same ass building and some lame rover missions. But were there different planet types, multiple settlements, multiple motivations for those planets and a wide variety of enemies native to each location? Nope.

In fact, that whole trilogy sorta failed to deliver what was promised in a way.

Now I do think the systems in OW need some work. I rarely need to use the buffs, and the inventory system could use a tweak or two. The writing is solid. The gunplay could be a bit better. But overall I'm enjoying it.

It's just missing a bit of bite. Still comes off a little generic in some areas. And loot drops and enhancement could use a boost.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Mon Nov-18-19 07:43 PM

4. "i think it's closer to a proof-of-concept than a complete game"
In response to Reply # 3

not that the game is half-assed but it seems like they spent all their capital on making sure the pretty complex base systems (dialogue, fail states, quest progression) are solid so some of the ancillary systems (combat, loot, inventory) are a little thin. now that this game has shipped the devs can say, "ok we got most of the essential stuff right so we don't have to work on that anymore. now we can tweak the stuff around the edges for the sequels." hopefully the next game(s) will be a little more fun to engage with

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I like getting my speech and intelligence checks early."
In response to Reply # 0

When I play Fallout I be trying to buff my kill-niggas skills before intelligence. Fallout 4 has too many super mutants for that shit.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Fri Dec-27-19 02:12 PM

6. "surprisingly good game "
In response to Reply # 0

I'm quite impressed with GamePass

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

Lobby High-Tech topic #304887 Previous topic | Next topic