Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304353

Subject: "monitor talk" Previous topic | Next topic
bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 03:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"monitor talk"

what are y'all working with? what size, resolution, panel type? ultrawide, curved, hdr, or g-/freesync?

i'm in the market for a new monitor that will mostly be used for gaming. 1440p, 27", and good gaming specs like low response time, high refresh rate, etc. are a must. hdr, g-/freesync are nice bonuses. after doing a lot of research i have it narrowed down to three:

• 27" or 32" samsung cjg5 (possibly the chg70 if hdr/freesync are legit): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022735

• AOC agon ag271qx: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5JYN0C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• msi optix mag27cq: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NGSWRL/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&psc=1

does anyone have any experience with the above monitors, or even the brands? where is HDR in 2019? what are your thoughts on g-/freesync? what about gaming on a VA or IPS panel? any and all opinions and advice are welcome

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I edit video/grapihcs
Mar 03rd 2019
Once you go double, you can't go back
Mar 04th 2019
Multiple monitors is the way to go.
Mar 05th 2019
untrue
Mar 05th 2019
How large? Is it a curved screen?
Mar 13th 2019
all about dual monitor life
Mar 14th 2019
triple....
Jun 14th 2019
ended up with the samsung c32hg70
Mar 13th 2019
Just bought the same one yesterday and returned it this morning...
Mar 17th 2019

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I edit video/grapihcs"
In response to Reply # 0

So I can't mess w/ a curved screen.
But the size and width of these new screens are impressive.

But I've heard varying reports of 5K screens lately.
Either the fonts are too small, or it's not compatible w/ their PCs.

https://digife.com

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Mon Mar-04-19 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Once you go double, you can't go back"
In response to Reply # 0

My job started the concept with giving everyone laptops and an external monitor. So much easier to review docs on one screen and keep e-mail and web on another, and makes editing better as well. When I built my personal rig some years ago I had to choose between one big (27" or better) rig or 2 21" panels. Ended up getting two AOC IPS monitors (which I ultimately want to put on VESA mounts) which have served me well. So much easier to have a video running full screen on one monitor while browsing on another. My wife switched jobs where they have dual monitor setups and now she wants a second monitor for her MBP...

One big screen would work better for gaming, but I don't do enough of that on my PC, and if I did need a big screen I have a HDMI cable run from the GPU to my flat screen, which works

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Mar-05-19 04:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Multiple monitors is the way to go."
In response to Reply # 2

Used to use just one 19" monitor for web design work and web browsing. Then I bought a 24" Dell and decided to use the 19" as a secondary monitor and it was like a whole new world opened up. I'd sometimes turn the 19" monitor on its side and have my code running vertical, in order to see more lines of code.

The extra monitor also comes in handy when I watch sports. I'll have the TV on the game and then Twitter or Discord up on one monitor and then ESPN's GameCast on another.

Best PC decision since buying a SSD.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue Mar-05-19 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "untrue"
In response to Reply # 2

i just graduated to higher resolution single monitor

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:26 AM

5. "How large? Is it a curved screen? "
In response to Reply # 4

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 02:36 PM

7. "all about dual monitor life"
In response to Reply # 2

my right monitor is basically just used for internet browsing, my left is always for gaming/streaming.

they aren't even good monitors. but i love all the real estate it provides over having one high-end monitor.

-----------------------------------------

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 12:54 PM

9. "triple...."
In response to Reply # 2

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 02:07 PM

6. "ended up with the samsung c32hg70"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-13-19 02:11 PM by bearfield

curved, 32", 1440p

stunning picture... when it's not moving too quickly. there is some weird hitching, even at 60 fps, and some slight ghosting. idk if i'm just used to a TN panel but something about the way this monitor handles rapid movement seems a little off. i did read (after i purchased) that the 32" model in particular has a strobing issue. additionally, 1440p at 32" is right on the cusp of too big. i can see the pixels at ~2.5 ft away. not great. the curve is nice but more suited for an ultra-widescreen model, where the curve starts at the periphery. it's fantastic for gaming (very immersive) but not great for general use

i'm going to start a return and try out the 27" model. i might end up with the asus rog swift pg279qz

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 02:47 PM

8. "Just bought the same one yesterday and returned it this morning..."
In response to Reply # 6

>idk if i'm just used to a TN panel but something
>about the way this monitor handles rapid movement seems a
>little off. i did read (after i purchased) that the 32" model
>in particular has a strobing issue. additionally, 1440p at
>32" is right on the cusp of too big. i can see the pixels at
>~2.5 ft away. not great. the curve is nice but more suited
>for an ultra-widescreen model, where the curve starts at the
>periphery. it's fantastic for gaming (very immersive) but not
>great for general use
>

Like you said, for gaming it would probably do but one night of looking at it on my desk let me know it wasn't for me. It is definitely a little too big for what I'm going to be using it for.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

Lobby High-Tech topic #304353 Previous topic | Next topic