Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303902

Subject: "Mini PSOne - $100 - December 3rd" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mini PSOne - $100 - December 3rd"

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/19/17877898/playstation-classic-release-date-price-ps1-games

just pre-ordered

Sony is following in Nintendo’s footsteps with its own miniaturized throwback console: the PlayStation Classic, a new version of the original PlayStation that you can hold in your hand and easily connect to a modern television.

Like Nintendo’s NES Classic and SNES Classic, the PlayStation Classic will come packed with a list of beloved hits from the system’s original library. There will be 20 games in all, but Sony only announced five of them today: Final Fantasy 7, Jumping Flash, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms. “All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format,” the company said in an announcement post on the PlayStation Blog.

Sony plans to launch the PlayStation Classic worldwide on Dec. 3 — the 24th anniversary of the PlayStation’s release. (The PS1 debuted in Japan on Dec. 3, 1994, and Sony didn’t bring it to the West until September 1995.) The retro console will retail for $99.99 in the U.S., £89.99 in the U.K., €99.99 in Europe and 9,980 yen in Japan.

For that price, customers will get the system and two controllers. The gamepads are full-size replicas of the PS1’s original controller, not the DualShock, so they and don’t include analog sticks or vibration. As you can see in the gallery above, the gamepads are wired USB devices that plug into the console in the same spot as the original system’s controller ports.

You can’t pop PS1 memory cards into the PlayStation Classic — save files are stored on a virtual memory card. However, the replica buttons on the top of the system do have actual functions: Power does what you’d expect; the open button swaps virtual discs; and the reset button suspends games. There’s no word on whether the PlayStation Classic will include visual filters or display settings like the options available on Nintendo’s retro consoles.

The PlayStation Classic is about 45 percent smaller than the system it’s modeled after, according to Sony. The back of the unit features only two ports: HDMI-out for video and audio, and micro-USB for power. The package comes with cables for both, but it doesn’t include an AC adapter, so users will need to supply their own or plug the system into a 5-volt, 1-amp USB port.

There also appears to be a plastic cover on the rear of the system, but there’s no word yet on what’s beneath it. (On the original PS1, there was a parallel port under that cover.) A common criticism of the NES Classic and SNES Classic is that there’s no way to get additional games on the mini consoles without hacking them. Could this flap be hiding something like an Ethernet port, with Sony allowing customers who own digital PSOne Classics titles to play them on this retro console? Or is it just for show?

The PlayStation Classic is available to pre-order at GameStop and Best Buy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Those gamepads are wired usb...if I can play them on my PS4?
Sep 19th 2018
Preordered
Sep 24th 2018
I want to see the full list of games included
Oct 15th 2018
Early Preview
Nov 08th 2018
looks weak.
Nov 08th 2018
      really does
Nov 08th 2018
a hundred bucks and a bunch of BS game these niggas is drunk
Nov 08th 2018
hard pass
Nov 10th 2018
i went ahead and cancelled my preorder after game list was announced
Nov 11th 2018
I went into Gamestop and asked the guys in there about it
Dec 01st 2018
Playstation Classic Games, Ranked (Tim Rogers, Kotaku)
Dec 01st 2018
Digital Foundry took a look (link)
Dec 04th 2018
This janky shit doesn't come with a power adapter
Dec 04th 2018

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Those gamepads are wired usb...if I can play them on my PS4?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm coppin.

I care about the controllers more than the games. Those are some excellent fighting game controllers yo.

If not, I can pass.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 03:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Preordered"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't wait.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Mon Oct-15-18 06:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I want to see the full list of games included"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 09:21 AM

4. "Early Preview"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkV0P3J1LLQ

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 02:28 PM

5. "looks weak."
In response to Reply # 4

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 03:47 PM

6. "really does"
In response to Reply # 5

I might just make this a gift

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 06:52 PM

7. "a hundred bucks and a bunch of BS game these niggas is drunk"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 12:08 AM

8. "hard pass"
In response to Reply # 0

Way too many good 2018 (even 2017) releases that will be on sale Black Friday to spend $100 United States dollars on this shit.

x49
Member since Nov 04th 2009
1716 posts
Sun Nov-11-18 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i went ahead and cancelled my preorder after game list was announced"
In response to Reply # 0

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Sat Dec-01-18 04:33 PM

10. "I went into Gamestop and asked the guys in there about it"
In response to Reply # 9

They said a lot of people stopped asking about it after the full list of games were announced

not to mention the price smh

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Sat Dec-01-18 11:13 PM

11. "Playstation Classic Games, Ranked (Tim Rogers, Kotaku)"
In response to Reply # 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtDSEXPeaw

This dude's schtick is so close to losing me but somehow he keeps pulling me back in, his Red Dead videos were great fun too.

But the basic point behind the video is the one I've been making since the list was announced: the PS1 was by and large a WEIRD system, and should be celebrated for that more than for its big budget moments since many of those haven't aged nearly as well. The ones that have, like Tony Hawk, are licensing nightmares. This should have been an RPG and esoterica machine with more shit like Wild Arms and Jumping Flash rather than Resident Evil or GTA.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 03:24 AM

12. "Digital Foundry took a look (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0dn9pRKuw

Seems like a real half-ass, poorly thought through product.

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 04:44 PM

13. "This janky shit doesn't come with a power adapter"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-04-18 04:46 PM by Boogiedwn

I have one I can use but not sure the person I am going to give this too does.

edit

don't read my own posts, lol

>The package comes with cables for both, but it doesn’t include an AC adapter, so users will need to supply their own or plug the system into a 5-volt, 1-amp USB port.

Lobby High-Tech topic #303902 Previous topic | Next topic