Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303712

Subject: "Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch)" Previous topic | Next topic
PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch)"

I just copped but I'm in the middle of packing so I'm probably not gonna get far into it until well into August.

Just think Mid-90s turn based classic Square JRPG with SNES level sprites and simulated 3-D environments. Fans of Star Ocean for the PSX will like it.

Giant Bomb Quick Look looks real good: https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-octopath-traveler/2300-13449/

Polygon Review: https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/12/17563366/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch-jrpg

Waypoint Review: https://www.dualshockers.com/octopath-traveler-review-nintendo-switch/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I played the demo and prologue, didn't like it
Jul 26th 2018
looks really good
Jul 27th 2018
So far so good but the story is very thin.
Sep 06th 2018
13 hours in and I love this shit
Aug 03rd 2019
modern classic.
Oct 06th 2019
RE: modern classic.
Oct 09th 2019
      Steam sale for $30 until April 2.
Mar 29th 2020

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I played the demo and prologue, didn't like it"
In response to Reply # 0

Seems like a joyless game, at least story wise. I admit I'm a bit biased though, I played FF 4 Heroes of Light (NDS) and didn't really enjoy that, and Octopath is made by the same producer as that game and Bravely Default.

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 07:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "looks really good"
In response to Reply # 0

almost want to buy a Switch just for it

--------

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 10:57 AM

3. "So far so good but the story is very thin."
In response to Reply # 0

The individual stories are okay but so far, I see no reason why these eight characters are together. The combat has gotten pretty complex now that I'm outfitting my characters with dual jobs. I'm still chipping away at it with certain combinations and finding out what skills work with what enemy situation.

Of course I haven't picked it up in like a week and a half because Enter the Breach dropped for Switch but still.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Sat Aug-03-19 10:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "13 hours in and I love this shit"
In response to Reply # 0

had to wait for it to hit PC, but this is a perfect game for a jaded nostalgic pining for the 16-bit days.

combat is really fun and I'm just starting; I actually look forward to encounters and boss fights. also, in a rare twist the NPC interaction is tip-top and gives good reason to revisit towns.

I *like* the super linear dungeons. I *like* the fact the the characters don't have high stakes (I'm only on chapter one) and are cobbled together. after playing FF XV for 10 uninteresting hours, and generally hating the open-world infatuation of the last two decades, this is catnip for me.

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Sun Oct-06-19 09:12 PM

5. "modern classic."
In response to Reply # 0

I get the detractors, but fuck it -- this is one of my favorite RPGs I've played, ever. the battle-system is turn-based nirvana, with all the right modern tweaks. the job system is equally godlike (lots of different set-ups to break the game) while all characters maintain a bit of uniqueness through their one specific skill. art-style is 10/10 and the music is derivatively classic ("Determination" is ridiculous).

I've put 90 hours into this one, and haven't logged that much time in any RPG since FFXII. I also can't wait to play it again, and try new routes. the freedom you have to pick up characters at any level, or get job classes at any level -- provided you can game the challenge somehow -- is awesome.

it's not perfect (and neither are most of the older games we love), but this is about as fun as it gets for a 16-bit JRPG fan.

--------

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 07:45 PM

6. "RE: modern classic."
In response to Reply # 5

you just might have convinced me to pick this up.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 01:05 PM

7. "Steam sale for $30 until April 2."
In response to Reply # 6

--------

Lobby High-Tech topic #303712 Previous topic | Next topic