Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303446

Subject: " Far Cry 5" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" Far Cry 5"

Yo.

And I'm a semi-Far Cry convert. The first two never piqued my interest, but I got on board with 3. Loved 4, and even before I've finished it, I'm thinking of replaying 5.

Great graphics, beautiful landscape, great writing and particularly stellar voice acting. Did they break a bunch of new ground in gameplay mechanics? Not really. Just enough twist to freshen up a bit.

Haven't played co-op yet, but I like the companion system. They've adjusted the crafting system since you're not really in a remote location. The perk system is actually useful. I'm having a ball.

They really doubled down on outposts this time. I have a rack of them to complete. Love getting the prepper stashes. Good ole problems solving with proper rewards. Even the arcade mode has promise, but I've only played a couple of maps.

One complaint: the guns could be better. I mean, they have a kick ass collection of guns, but some are locked or more expensive just for a simple skin. Like the AR rifle you have in the beginning of the game is about as powerful of an assault rifle in whole game once you compare the stats. So you'll spend thousands of dollars on an AK just to have an AK essentially. Same with some of the pistols and shotguns. I'm maybe 40% of the way through the game, and I just tricked out my first rifle with an extended mag, scope and supressor. For armored enemies I switch to a different weapon altogether.

But damn. Tooling around fictional Montana is a certified hoot. And there are the usual trippy, psychedelic aspects of the game that have been present over the last two installments.

Really good game and effort from the folks at Ubisoft.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's pretty good but more of the same
Apr 02nd 2018
more of the same but better (to me)
Apr 02nd 2018
      yeah it has definitely been refined and streamlined for the better
Apr 02nd 2018
really dug the flightsuit in 3 & animal control in Primal.. what's in 5?
Apr 09th 2018
flightsuit is back + planes and copters | animal/human companions
Apr 09th 2018
      I was hmm~ing and haa~ing but I think I might cop this after all
Apr 11th 2018

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 02:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's pretty good but more of the same"
In response to Reply # 0

it does look way better than 3 and 4, which counts for a lot in games like these. there is still too much stuff happening. i can't walk 20 feet on the road without getting into a firefight, or walk about 30 seconds in the forest without getting attacked by a wild animal. they also dropped the ace assault rifle, which was my go-to weapon in 3 and 4. i'm having fun but i can't shake the feeling that i did all this stuff before a few years ago in 4

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 03:18 PM

2. "more of the same but better (to me)"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Apr-02-18 03:18 PM by WarriorPoet415

I really liked 4, but after a while it was a grind to hunt animals for crafting materials. Here, perks serve the same purpose of being able to upgrade your holster and your abilities, and getting them is waaaay more fun than looking for a specific animal to kill and skin just to get a new quiver.

Plus I love that they dumped the skinning an animal animation. And you can play Far Cry Arcade to get perk points if that's your style.

I will agree about the busy-ness in some parts of the game. In the beginning when the cult had planes hunting for me, it got annoying not being able to drive anywhere without being strafed. It gets a little better later on, but they do keep you on the edge of your seat.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

bearfield
8046 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 03:37 PM

3. "yeah it has definitely been refined and streamlined for the better"
In response to Reply # 2

i like the implementation of more organic discovery and the ability to tune the interface to your liking. the skill system is probably improved from previous games but still kind of exploitable (skill mags in prepper stashes, specifically.) like i said i'm still having fun playing. i wish the balance of enemies and random encounters was a *little* lower than it is to inject a little more realism into it. but that might go against the weird dichotomy of recent far cry games with very convincing open worlds and acts of evil offset with these really goofy random encounters where a bunch of AI routines are butting heads

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 05:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "really dug the flightsuit in 3 & animal control in Primal.. what's in 5?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-09-18 05:33 PM by PG

anything comparable to either of those?

bearfield
8046 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 08:41 PM

5. "flightsuit is back + planes and copters | animal/human companions"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Apr-09-18 09:04 PM by bearfield

it's still far cry. outposts are the best part and there are a lot of varied outposts in 5. the game is a little buggy but looks fantastic (mostly). there is a real dearth of guns compared to 4, which is disappointing. we don't need 2 AK47s and 2 magnum revolvers. i want the ACE rifle and desert eagle back!

you can get animal AI companions that you can order to attack and send to waypoints. not sure if that was in primal as i didn't play it. you could probably 5 as close to primal as possible by only using bow/arrow + melee + animals

if you plan on playing 5 get the 2x animal skins perk first and do adelaide's missions + the followup mission with her gentleman companion. the 2x skins perk will give you more money than you know what to do with early on and completing adelaide's mission chain unlocks a speedy attack helicopter which greatly aids traversal and makes doing the passive missions (mainly "destroy x vehicles") much easier

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 05:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I was hmm~ing and haa~ing but I think I might cop this after all"
In response to Reply # 5

the flight suit provided me a ton of fun previously as did the visuals of the ladscapes.. from the sounds of it the graphics have improved and the mechanics I liked still exist.. I'm a sucker for freeworld games and this series has been solid in delivering that.

Lobby High-Tech topic #303446 Previous topic | Next topic