Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303138

Subject: "Games you were disappointed with this year" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Games you were disappointed with this year"

Mass Effect: Andromeda (they basically NBA Lived this franchise - well Live is better now so maybe there's hope they can save this in the future)

Destiny 2 - they broke the things they didn't need to break

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
2 off the top
Dec 22nd 2017
RE: Micro-transactions
Dec 22nd 2017
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Dec 22nd 2017
it's an insult to everybody.
Dec 22nd 2017
Im hoping for an Arcade Edition for Infinity War
Dec 23rd 2017
I haven't even seen it in stores to cop it to be disappointed.
Dec 24th 2017
#1 on this list for me
Dec 30th 2017
AC: Pocket Camp
Dec 22nd 2017
Can I say Destiny 2 even tho I put 152 hours into it?
Dec 24th 2017
Yeah
Dec 26th 2017
      it's weird; I barely played Taken King
Dec 30th 2017
Voting for Mass Effect
Dec 24th 2017
Still in the shrink wrap for me :(
Dec 24th 2017
see, that's why I'm waiting.
Dec 27th 2017
I didn't hate it, but its not on par with the others
Dec 28th 2017
people who skip this one do so to their own detriment
Dec 28th 2017
RE: Voting for Mass Effect
Jan 01st 2018
      RE: Voting for Mass Effect
Jan 02nd 2018

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 02:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "2 off the top"
In response to Reply # 0

NBA 2k18... stealing is still too easy. My career is a joke. Pay to play or struggle to level up.

Forza ... Micro-transactions

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Micro-transactions"
In response to Reply # 1

This is messing up a lot of games, I get it but there's better ways to do it

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a failure in every way. Except the gameplay, which I actually dig, but that just makes it more disappointing. It's ugly and the base roster is trash.

BLACK PANTHER THO

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 03:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "it's an insult to everybody."
In response to Reply # 2

--------

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat Dec-23-17 08:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Im hoping for an Arcade Edition for Infinity War"
In response to Reply # 2

but not gonna happen this year.

So much squandered potential.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Sun Dec-24-17 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I haven't even seen it in stores to cop it to be disappointed."
In response to Reply # 2

I've been to 4 GameStops, and I'm in Target almost weekly, and have never seen this game in the wild.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 09:52 AM

15. "#1 on this list for me"
In response to Reply # 2

>It's a failure in every way. Except the gameplay, which I
>actually dig, but that just makes it more disappointing. It's
>ugly and the base roster is trash.
>
>BLACK PANTHER THO

Base roster is trash
no JP voices for the Capcom characters (GTFOH)

... Good game play, tho?

And yes, Black Panther.

But at what cost?

They need to get an Arcade Edition of this shit, immediately.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 03:56 PM

5. "AC: Pocket Camp"
In response to Reply # 0

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sun Dec-24-17 04:00 AM

7. "Can I say Destiny 2 even tho I put 152 hours into it?"
In response to Reply # 0

I normally roll my eyes at folks who complain about changes that occur between sequels, but Bungie initially pitched this thing as a 10-year epic of a game that would see your character progress and grow in that time so my complaints might be a bit more valid. I think for as much as people said "this looks too much like Destiny 1", it was actually a big enough departure that it kind of ruined the game in some aspects.

The lack of random weapon/armor per rolls, weakened exotics, and limited PvP options all make it a less enjoyable game than the first one was when that ended. Yeah, I get that it took a while for the first game to reach that point, but I don't think that's an excuse; Bungie should have built on what they already had rather than hitting the reset button. On the bright side, the complaints are mostly for people who wanted to keep playing the game; if all you want is a 15~hour campaign, D2 has really good shooting mechanics in an easy to follow story (which I imagine is why it has a higher metacritic than the first game). All that said, I still play it fairly regularly because at the end of the day the shooting just feels good.

If we're talking about games that I unexpectedly bounced off, Persona 5 was that for me. Maybe I'll eventually go back but it didn't draw me in like P3 did.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Tue Dec-26-17 01:26 PM

11. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 7

I can't bring myself to play it. I didn't play D1 until the Taken King so I went into it knowing I couldn't compare it to D1 but it's nothing in it that makes me wanna grind like I did in D1

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 01:19 PM

16. "it's weird; I barely played Taken King"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat Dec-30-17 01:21 PM by Nodima

but until that DLC dropped, I played Destiny pretty much daily, just running strikes over and over. when it was vanilla (and, in retrospect, vanilla Destiny was insanely vanilla) I played it that hard, and over those two years as things got better (and worse) I kept on playing, never ran a raid, did a nightfall or threw a punch in Crucible and really enjoyed it as a podcast game. but then when the game "got good" for most people, I completely fell off of it. The game became a little more complicated, a little more involved, and there were so many options for things to do. it used to just be a game I completed my bounties for the week the first two or three days of the week, then ran a couple strikes a day after.

Destiny 2 at first felt like it solved a lot of problems, but like somebody said above they wound up solving problems that didn't need to be solved, and over correcting things that were obvious problems before in a way that just created bizarrely more obvious problems. the solution to low drops on end game content shouldn't have been giving you everything all the time, and the solution to never getting the exact roll you wanted for a gun or armor piece shouldn't have been to level everything out to the point almost nothing is truly exciting or valuable. it used to be heading to Reddit to read the Xur Megathread and breakdown of exotics was mandatory weekend reading because you could only afford one piece but maybe the roll for the one piece you'd usually want wasn't optimal; now Xur feels entirely superfluous to the hamster wheel of that game.

I paid for the expansion pass but I've only played a single mission with a single character from Osiris so far. I enjoyed what I played of Destiny 2 and leveled three characters to ~300, but I have no interest in playing that game at the moment and can't really figure out what they need to do to pull me back. maybe I just burned myself out too hard on the first Destiny; maybe they just need more than one fun strike and any incentive to play the strikes they already have.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Dec-24-17 11:07 AM

8. "Voting for Mass Effect"
In response to Reply # 0

I brought the first game dirt cheap used cause I was bored and despite it's problems it was so fun it won me over. The subsequent games only got better (arguably the story got worse tho, lol) and it ended up being my fav games of last gen.

Andromeda? Feels like a shitty Destiny clone with boring cut scenes.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Sun Dec-24-17 09:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Still in the shrink wrap for me :("
In response to Reply # 8

Seemed like early patches carried promise then it was basically a dealbreaker when they said they were gonna kill support for the game

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Wed Dec-27-17 12:12 PM

12. "see, that's why I'm waiting. "
In response to Reply # 8

Saw the deluxe edition on sale for $12 and still flinched at picking it up. I'll wait until it's sorta dirt cheap.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Thu Dec-28-17 03:01 PM

13. "I didn't hate it, but its not on par with the others"
In response to Reply # 12

Bioware did the same shit with this that they did to Dragon Age Inquisition. They tried to make a single player game have the feel of an MMO. It just doesn't work here. I was engaged with the story but honestly not as much as the other Mass Effect games. Just didn't feel right. This game under any other name might not have been bad, but I came in expecting something that feels like Mass Effect and this wasn't it.

I do feel like it got unfairly shit on even though it does have its faults, as far as just how bad some people were saying it was. If you can find the game that cheap I say go ahead and give it a go. Just don't expect the magic of the first 3.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Dec-28-17 03:12 PM

14. "people who skip this one do so to their own detriment"
In response to Reply # 8

there isn't another mass effect around the corner.

perfect? nope.

the blend of action/rpg you've come to expect from mass effect with good story moments and maps included?

yuuuuuup

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 08:24 AM

17. "RE: Voting for Mass Effect"
In response to Reply # 8

I think I copped first-day, and I don't remember experiencing any of the bugs that Brad from Giant Bomb says he went through. My disappointment comes from knowing they're icing the franchise and leaving hella loose threads from this game.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Tue Jan-02-18 07:57 AM

18. "RE: Voting for Mass Effect"
In response to Reply # 17

The Quarians and others that were still out there. Smh they had so many loose ends.

Lobby High-Tech topic #303138 Previous topic | Next topic