Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #302182

Subject: "Is Kaspersky Virus protection the best?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Kaspersky Virus protection the best?"

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Archive. n/m
Apr 28th 2017
Save the SNARK for GD.
Apr 28th 2017
No idea - but my articles
May 02nd 2017
You're a writer?
May 03rd 2017
      Sorry no,did write them - it was a bad subject line
May 03rd 2017
      Oh, okay.
May 03rd 2017
      Oh, there's deals to be had too
May 03rd 2017
Windows Defender + Malwarebytes and you're good
May 03rd 2017
Depends if you want to be "safe" or safe.
Jul 04th 2017
No.
Jul 24th 2017
antivir is what I've been using for years.
Jul 27th 2017
fbi is bugging
Aug 18th 2017

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Archive. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 12:49 PM

2. "Save the SNARK for GD. "
In response to Reply # 1

This place is already on life support.

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Tue May-02-17 11:03 PM

3. "No idea - but my articles"
In response to Reply # 0

http://lifehacker.com/5865356/the-best-antivirus-app-for-windows

I don't use anything other than Windows Defnder and staying away from skeevy sites.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed May-03-17 02:37 AM

4. "You're a writer?"
In response to Reply # 3

No shark intended. You mentioned 'my articles', so I'm deducing that you wrote the article.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Wed May-03-17 10:18 PM

5. "Sorry no,did write them - it was a bad subject line"
In response to Reply # 4

>No shark intended. You mentioned 'my articles', so I'm
>deducing that you wrote the article.

No, I was probably not paying attention to the subject line. I started by saying what my company uses - but then I found that article.

We use McAfee at work - about 30,0000 devices, and it works for us.

------------

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed May-03-17 11:06 PM

7. "Oh, okay."
In response to Reply # 5

McAfee is a good product. Their Total Protection product came pre-installed on my laptop and it's worked out well for me.

It probably helps that my web browsing is mostly on legit websites tho.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Wed May-03-17 10:43 PM

6. "Oh, there's deals to be had too"
In response to Reply # 4

https://slickdeals.net/f/10115144-kaspersky-anti-virus-2017-3-pcs-key-card-free-after-35-rebate-at-newegg?src=pdw

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 (3-PCs Key Card) Free after $35 Rebate at Newegg

Slickdeals has a ton of offers like that.

------------

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Wed May-03-17 11:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Windows Defender + Malwarebytes and you're good"
In response to Reply # 0

most AVs are decent nowadays. you just need to make sure you don't get one that will bog down your system resources (norton is/was notorious, but i havent used it in at least a decade). I like Trend Micro, i've heard good things about Bit Defender.

i'm good with the Windows Defender (already built into Windows 7/10) and Malwarebytes combo for my home PCs. for Malwarebytes i do pay the subscription because i like the real-time scanning feature. i have a raspberry pi running DNS (Pi-Hole) at home too where i subscribe to various blacklists feeds so i'm not hitting known bad sites.

--sig--
n/a

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Tue Jul-04-17 05:52 AM

9. "Depends if you want to be "safe" or safe."
In response to Reply # 0

Most AV scanners are much of a muchness these days - I manage a McAfee EPO infrastructure for a large financial org and they've always had definitions added by the end of Day Zero of any exploit... best you can hope for really. Far as I can see Kaspersky and most of the other big names manage the same, so they'll all offer more-or-less the same protection from viruses (i.e. you'll be protected after about 4 or 5 hours of an attack being in the wild).... which is something, but isn't a huge amount given the potential speed an exploit can spread these days.

If you want to *actually* be secure, you're better moving away from blacklist products like traditional AV (Blacklist i.e. it holds a list of known viruses, blocks them and allows everything else) towards Whitelisting products like Bit9 Defender which learn your machine's usual behaviour then block everything else. Better for servers than workstations really - for your home PC I'd suggest a decent AV scanner, a decent software firewall and, most importantly, a strict regime of not acting like a dickhead on the Internet.

))<>((
forever.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 09:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "No."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "antivir is what I've been using for years."
In response to Reply # 0

its free and has worked well on all of my home machines.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Effa
Charter member
29371 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 09:26 AM

12. "fbi is bugging"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cyberscoop.com/fbi-kaspersky-private-sector-briefings-yarovaya-laws/

i use kaspersky at the job. annoying to administer but so far so good.

Lobby High-Tech topic #302182 Previous topic | Next topic