Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #300891

Subject: "any RTS (real time strategy) fans here?" Previous topic | Next topic
HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 12:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"any RTS (real time strategy) fans here?"

this is beginning to be my favorite video game genre. sports games usually dominate my gaming but RTS has an element to it that is really fun.

Age of Empires II is the King RTS game for me, and i still dabble in it. Company of Heroes though?!?!?! man... i cant play this game and COH2 enough. looking at my steam account i have 143 hours on COH2 and 70 hours on COH. it appears i have an obsession with killing Nazi armor divisions.

if you are a fan, please share some solid games to try. from what i have read, COH is the best RTS franchise in history, but looking to broaden my horizons.

-----------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'll be ya huckleberry
Oct 15th 2016
Endwar is $10 on steam...
Oct 15th 2016
      Yo, for 10, you should def cop!
Oct 15th 2016
Gameplay footage of Samurai Wars:
Oct 16th 2016
All my RTS experiences are nostalgic at this point
Oct 17th 2016
Late pass: I just got up on Vega Conflict....
Nov 02nd 2016
starcraft 2's new coop mode is off the charts
Nov 13th 2016
Nahmsayin', I might gotta freakz widdit.
Nov 14th 2016

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'll be ya huckleberry"
In response to Reply # 0

Tom Clancy's Endwar and R.U.S.E.....post over!

Samurai Wars(on Android)...the dev needs to port this to PC tho.
Playing it on mobile does it a huge injustice.

I'm biased as hell tho 'cus I ain't even played those games you mentioned. Ima holla at'em tho 'cus, like you, I wanna broaden my
RTS repertoire and since I just copped a new laptop a couple weeks back, I re-dnld'd Steam and I'm finna get my RTS junkie on via the free-to-play joints.

In this way, I likewise can't wait for Katz to come in here and drop jewel 'cus there's few gaming experiences as rewarding as the RTS experience where victory depends on your tactical wits.

But yeah, I ride or die for ENDWAR. That game is the fuckin' TRUTH.

Finna boot that muhfukka up right NAH!

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 03:06 PM

2. "Endwar is $10 on steam... "
In response to Reply # 1

>Tom Clancy's Endwar and R.U.S.E.....post over!
>
>Samurai Wars(on Android)...the dev needs to port this to PC
>tho.
>Playing it on mobile does it a huge injustice.
>
>
>I'm biased as hell tho 'cus I ain't even played those games
>you mentioned. Ima holla at'em tho 'cus, like you, I wanna
>broaden my
>RTS repertoire and since I just copped a new laptop a couple
>weeks back, I re-dnld'd Steam and I'm finna get my RTS junkie
>on via the free-to-play joints.
>
>In this way, I likewise can't wait for Katz to come in here
>and drop jewel 'cus there's few gaming experiences as
>rewarding as the RTS experience where victory depends on your
>tactical wits.
>
>
>
>But yeah, I ride or die for ENDWAR. That game is the fuckin'
>TRUTH.
>
>Finna boot that muhfukka up right NAH!
>

the videos of it look promising... also really intrigued by the voice recognition gameplay.

i highly recommend you try COH... its really challenging but if you use good tactics its not too hard. on Expert mode its brutally difficult but i beat both games on their hardest modes with a lot of loud yelling.

what is this R.U.S.E. you speak of? cant find it on steam

-----------------------------------------

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:37 PM

3. "Yo, for 10, you should def cop!"
In response to Reply # 2

And yeah, if you have a USB headset, you can issue real-time commands to squad units via voice. Shit truly is at-the-speed-of-thought and provides a split-second edge when executed right.

Cool shit is, if you don't have a headset you're still good to go, its not a required option.

But you control persistent battalions that earn new abilities/mods/augments/buffs ALA RPG's over time as you survive battles and rank up. These mods our purchased via war funds accumulated thru battle.

Like XCOM, units CAN die/perish on the battlefield(never to be used again) if they're not evacuated prior to losing all HP.

Unit-type breakdown and attack-chain:
1. Gunships
2. Tanks
3. Transports
4. Artillery
5. Infantry(2 types)
-Engineers
-Rifleman
6. Command Vehicle(a literal mobile HQ with sitrep tactical map abilities. Capable of deploying recon drones, attack drones..etc)

-Attack-chain- matrix:

Gunships > Tanks/infantry out-of-cover/artillery
Tanks > Transports/infantry out-of-cover/artillery
Transports > Gunships/infantry out-of-cover/artillery
Artillery > All ground units
Infantry in-cover > All units ground/air

As you can see from the matrix, its a common rock-paper-scissor mechanic, ya dig. You are CONSTANTLY having to make adjustments...

Some gameplay footage:
https://youtu.be/_zLtiATj6Ao

RUSE
Yo, RUSE is slightly similar to ENDWAR yet not, in the sense that RUSE is a little more elaborate in terms of resourse management(in a good way if you're a person like me that loves logistics). However, your battalions aren't persistent like they are in ENDWAR. So, your squads don't rank up.

You will literally use war funds to build bases for each respective unit-type(very traditional RTS format which I like). The economic side of it is so crucial 'cus when you're fighting online, if you attack your opponents convoy routes/depositorys, you can literally stifle their income-generation with, in turn, stifles their ability to deploy new units. In this way, you get a deeper sense of war in RUSE. It truly IS on some Sun Tzu Art of War shit.

Where it lacks in persistent battalions, it makes up for in unit types:

Airbases/planes, recon and attack
Armorbases/tanks
Anti-armorbases/artillery, anti-tank vehicles
infantry bases/shocktroopers, grenadiers, rangers, recon jeeps
experimental bases/WMDs, prototype units(ie; super tanks, long-range mobile rocket-launch units)

The attack-chain matrix is a little similar to ENDWAR's so I won't break that down but yeah, RUSE is dope as shit, a more traditional elaborate RPG whereas ENDWAR is more basic/entry-level for Kats new to the RTS genre. Owning BOTH is a must!
Here go some gameplay footage for R.U.S.E.:

https://youtu.be/_vb6mcQ9DII?t=39s

If you cop either one, lemme know so we can
get some online matches crackin'.....

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Sun Oct-16-16 11:56 AM

4. "Gameplay footage of Samurai Wars:"
In response to Reply # 0

Yo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJkP0jf1PA

No bullshit, I've had times where I binge'd on this game all nite 'til sunrise. Shit is very addicting!

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Mon Oct-17-16 12:20 PM

5. "All my RTS experiences are nostalgic at this point"
In response to Reply # 0

I can still go back and play some Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Age of Empire 2, I had fun with Empire Earth for a while, there was a Star Wars branded game that was pretty much Age of Empire's modified that was fun. I used to 'Sim City' the hell out of these games, used to love finding a perfect spot for my Wonder of the World, I don't think I was ever really that good at them though competitively, mostly played by myself. Got into Starcraft 2 but the competitiveness of it is way beyond me, I can't play that way or that quickly. I played through Halo Wars mainly because Halo, and I know I played some old C&C's on console.

I'm not up on much new stuff, Ruse looks really interesting, I like equals parts economy and fighting. My PC game is weak though, I always just fall back to my console and don't put time into this stuff anymore.

---------------------
Obviously White

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Wed Nov-02-16 12:38 PM

6. "Late pass: I just got up on Vega Conflict...."
In response to Reply # 0

Shit is CRACK so far. Got this off steam for da free.

Here's some youtube clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SVQve2Q_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6IUJknqIYA

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Nov-13-16 03:34 PM

7. "starcraft 2's new coop mode is off the charts"
In response to Reply # 0

you should give it a try.

the campaigns are also excellent

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Mon Nov-14-16 12:35 PM

8. "Nahmsayin', I might gotta freakz widdit."
In response to Reply # 7

I've been wanting to check starcraft out for a minute now.

Good lookin' out.

Lobby High-Tech topic #300891 Previous topic | Next topic