Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #299257

Subject: "The official 'Cutting the Cord' post" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Thu Mar-17-16 09:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The official 'Cutting the Cord' post"

Unless it's hidden in the collections of old posts, there isn't one on cord cutting. If there is, mods, please link it below.

Have any of you cut the cord? How has the shift in viewing shows / movies been for you? Frustrating, or painless?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Looking to cut the cord sooner rather than later
Mar 17th 2016
damn it costs a lot in the states
Mar 18th 2016
      You bring up good points
Mar 18th 2016
Cut it back in '08
Mar 21st 2016
Are you able to watch the same shows now that you did before?
Mar 21st 2016
      RE: Are you able to watch the same shows now that you did before?
Mar 25th 2016
I want to like Kodi, I really do
Mar 21st 2016
Netflix + SlingTV + NBA League Pass + HBO Now
Mar 21st 2016
RE: The official 'Cutting the Cord' post
Mar 25th 2016
i'm looking at Vue, but $59 a month is damn near cable prices
Mar 28th 2016
is PS Vue's DVR in the cloud or does it store local on your PS4??
Mar 29th 2016
      RE: is PS Vue's DVR in the cloud or does it store local on your PS4??
Mar 29th 2016
I did this
Mar 28th 2016
Local news & sports blackouts are the last piece that must fall..
Mar 29th 2016
Okay I think I'm ready to do this.
Aug 30th 2016
It was internet speed holding me back. But now I'm ready
Aug 30th 2016
So what are the cons with Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick? Any?
Aug 30th 2016
my experience w/live sports has been hit or miss, mostly miss
Sep 01st 2016
RE: So what are the cons with Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick? Any?
Sep 04th 2016
I appreciate the info fellas
Sep 06th 2016
I bought a 6month sportsmania sub
Sep 30th 2016
Also, the Roku 4. Anyone have one?
Aug 30th 2016
PS Vue work on PC?
Sep 01st 2016
No
Sep 01st 2016
thanks
Sep 02nd 2016
I so wanted Vue to be great, but the 1 device limit is killer for me
Sep 06th 2016
      Wait - I thought it allowed 5 simultaneous streams?
Sep 08th 2016
           Really? What other devices can you use it on?
Sep 12th 2016
                Yep. Though for you since you have 3 PS devices
Sep 13th 2016
                     Damn that's not bad at all.
Sep 15th 2016
HELP: I just canceled cable. Now what?
Sep 04th 2016
get a 5 ghz router
Sep 07th 2016
      Man Sling is great
Sep 08th 2016
           Sling just added the Pac 12 Network today
Sep 08th 2016
           Eh @ Sling
Sep 13th 2016
I didn't make a switch earlier because of some other factors.
Sep 12th 2016
kodi + ipvanish sub + nvidia shield + powerline adapter
Sep 16th 2016

obsidianchrysalis
8740 posts
Thu Mar-17-16 09:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Looking to cut the cord sooner rather than later"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-17-16 09:39 PM by obsidianchrysalis

My sister and I, who are roommates, have considered it since our cable and internet bill have ballooned to over $150 a month.

We're interested in cutting the cord, since the cable deal is going to go up in about six months, but we're not sure about being able to get access to the same stations that we currently get through cable.

She's got an in-house Geek Squad, *edit* uh, me *, to research the idea and so far it might lead to savings.

I looked at the cable bill and as of now, we're paying about $60 for 1.5MB / 0.5MB.

Neither of us plays games and we have different schedule so for the most part only one of the two TV's would be viewing shows at one time. So, I think that internet at our current level could get us by.

We would buy a 'streaming hub' and Roku seems user-friendly enough. The Roku 2 is running at about $60. We already have a Chromecast, so I could use that for another TV.

As far as online streaming services, I'm thinking of subscribing to Sling. That would be $20 for the base service, $5 per month for the Sports package, $5 for the Lifestyle package (She hasn't found a cooking show she doesn't like.) for a total of $30 a month. We might buy the package with HBO Now, but that's in the air.

Then as far as movies, I already use Netflix ($10/month), we might get Hulu plus the Showtime option. (<$10 for base + $8 for Showtime)

That would be a total of $60 per month for streaming packages alone.

There's also one more issue. My sister likes watching Fashion Police on E!, but the only way to watch E! shows online is by having an existing cable subscription. Since award season is over, there might be a way to get E! later this year, but for now there isn't a fix.

The last issue is being able to watch shows on a DVR and there might actually be a solution for that.

PlayOn offers a way to watch streamed content even if the device which serves as the entertainment hub is viewing another stream.

Here's the info:

A link describing the service:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/internethometheater2/a/Playlater-online-streaming-dvr-software.htm

A direct link to PlayOn:

https://www.playon.tv/

So that would end up totaling about $100 upfront ($60 for the Roku and $30 for the PlayOn app) and about $120 per month for the streaming services and cable.

So $150 - $120 would save us about $30 bucks/month if everything works out well.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Fri Mar-18-16 03:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "damn it costs a lot in the states"
In response to Reply # 1

It's been so long since I was paying a cable bill I don't remember what I was accustomed to paying back home but that was depressing to read.

I don't pay for cable here in Sweden but have Netflix, HBONordic (Now) and a streaming service for here which cost me around 8 dollars each in USD (24). My internet is 100/10 for about 25 dollars a month and phone bill runs 60 dollars with 100 gigs a month, unlimited calling/texts plus the price of my 6 Plus. That wasn't a humble brag it just looks like you all are getting jacked for what you're paying for but do you think the 30 dollars savings is worth it because it seems like more work than you'd need. Could you plop a sling box at a family member's house on a tv they don't use and help them out with their cable bill? If you all are going to go through all of that seems like you'd want to at least drop your costs down to around the 100 dollar range. I've been trying to help family back home with cutting the cord but damn the total costs still hurt.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

obsidianchrysalis
8740 posts
Fri Mar-18-16 03:15 PM

3. "You bring up good points"
In response to Reply # 2

The main overcharge is the internet. If I could shave $20 off of that, cutting the cord might be worth it.

TAYREL713
Charter member
1120 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 09:32 AM

4. "Cut it back in '08"
In response to Reply # 0

When Netflix first hit Xbox 360. So, I pay for super fast internet which is $90 a month, but I am also a gamer. I have Netflix and Hulu, and my GF has Amazon Prime. A friend of mine has cable so via him I have access to HBO Go, FX, and ESPN. I have an OTA antenna for local. I miss Cavs games when they are on FSO and TNT but that's about it.

stayskrunchyinmilk.com

Nintendo Network ID-TAYREL713
XBL-TAYREL713
PSN-TAYREL713
Steam-TAYREL713
3DS Friend Code-2294-4970-5921

obsidianchrysalis
8740 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 11:21 AM

5. "Are you able to watch the same shows now that you did before?"
In response to Reply # 4

TAYREL713
Charter member
1120 posts
Fri Mar-25-16 09:36 AM

8. "RE: Are you able to watch the same shows now that you did before?"
In response to Reply # 5

It's been so long that I can't recall. Things I kind of missed have showed up elsewhere so like Mythbusters is on Hulu so I don't miss anything but it's been how I lived my life for near 8 years so it's what I do.

stayskrunchyinmilk.com

Nintendo Network ID-TAYREL713
XBL-TAYREL713
PSN-TAYREL713
Steam-TAYREL713
3DS Friend Code-2294-4970-5921

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 06:27 PM

6. "I want to like Kodi, I really do"
In response to Reply # 0

But it comes with some many random bugs along with all the perks it comes with. I’m back on Plex and I’m eventually gonna get the new Apple Tv and run Infuse on it just in case

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Mon Mar-21-16 07:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Netflix + SlingTV + NBA League Pass + HBO Now"
In response to Reply # 0

Once the NBA playoffs end I'll cut Sling TV.
Kinda on the fence on whether I want to hold on to HBO.

https://digife.com

teppishx3
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
208 posts
Fri Mar-25-16 01:30 PM

9. "RE: The official 'Cutting the Cord' post"
In response to Reply # 0

I just did it this past week.. Had Time Warner and my bill was coming up to $180... got fed up. Here is what I researched/got...

You can get an HD antenna that has all the local channels. I got one for $40 that has a 30 mile reach which gets me all the locals.

I was then considering a Tablo to record the shows I watch on these channels but glad I didn't because....

someone put me on Playstation Vue. Now I was going to get Sling TV because of ESPN and other channels but the Vue has ESPN and a bunch of other channels and has a DVR function built in. It's about $10 more expensive than the SlingTV but the DVR and additional channels are worth it. Plus, I'm able to stream to multiple devices. I don't have a Playstation but you don't need one - I have a Firestick and a Chromecast which work just fine.

I'll probably end up saving around $80/month (internet + Vue). I already have Netflix and am getting passwords for HBO/Showtime from somewhere else so I'm set. Vue does have the option to get Showtime for extra as well...

Hope this helps...

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Mon Mar-28-16 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "i'm looking at Vue, but $59 a month is damn near cable prices "
In response to Reply # 9

i like that in my area they have all the CSN sports channels and ESPN. i wonder how blackouts work, or if i can't view on mobile during game time.

--sig--
n/a

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Mar-29-16 08:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "is PS Vue's DVR in the cloud or does it store local on your PS4??"
In response to Reply # 9

...i could see myself running out of space easily

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

teppishx3
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
208 posts
Tue Mar-29-16 05:39 PM

14. "RE: is PS Vue's DVR in the cloud or does it store local on your PS4??"
In response to Reply # 13

It's in the cloud. I don't have a PS4 so I run it through my Fire Stick... However, the Fire Stick is crazy slow compared to other ways to watch it.

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Mon Mar-28-16 01:04 PM

11. "I did this"
In response to Reply # 0

1)I own a Tivo that can record from an Antenna. (T His cost $400 for lifetime - I got a good deal a year back.)

2)I installed two antennas on the roof and can get the major networks: NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW. I also get PBS, ME TV, Antenna TV, and several local stations.

3)I am an Amazon Prime member so I get some TV from there.

4)I do subscribe to Netflix - so some stuff from there.

5)My mother has cable and HBO - so I have her password fro HBO now.

6)Buying DVDs/Blu-Rays. Blu-rays of good movies can be had for under $7 dollars a lot. And box sets of TV shows are pretty cheap when you compare it to the monthly cost of cable. Even if you didn't have HBO you can get Game of Thrones discs for under $40. And the Rick and Morty blu-ray was $15 dollars. And the swap meet is giving away DVDs for 50 cents to a dollar.

7)An occasional DVDs from the Library.

Everything else is pirate:
I have a VPN service and use torrent sites like Extratorrent or kat.cr.
I have a Usenet account and can get stuff from the newsgroups.

I do not watch sports but a friend who does tells me there are sites that stream sports as they happen.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Mar-29-16 08:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Local news & sports blackouts are the last piece that must fall.."
In response to Reply # 0

...and we will then see a massive exile of people from cable

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 10:53 AM

15. "Okay I think I'm ready to do this. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-30-16 11:16 AM by soulfunk

The biggest thing holding me back was live sports and the fact that I need the Big 10 Network for college football and basketball. Sling has never had the Big Ten Network available. But I just found out that Playstation Vue added the BTN along with everything else they had, so I may be ready to go.

So if I go with HD antennae for local channels, the Vue for a "cable" package, along with my Netflix, YouTube Red, Amazon Prime, and Vudu accounts our family should be covered. I already have a PS4 in my home theater room and an Apple TV in my living room. Apple TV doesn't have Vue available yet but it's gotta be coming, and I could just get a couple Roku Sticks, once for the master bedroom and one for the living room until Apple TV support comes out, then I'll swap that to the kids' playroom.

I'm currently paying $139 per month for cable including the hardware for 4 TVs. The package I want from the Vue is $34.99. I'm not including any of the streaming services I have in the comparison because I've been paying for those in addition to cable for years.

Am I missing anything at all?

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 11:19 AM

17. "It was internet speed holding me back. But now I'm ready"
In response to Reply # 15

Especially since the fiber AT&T line i got is now unlimited as of Aug 21. I sampled Sling for a week and like it actually. Tested it out running on 3 Xboxes at once and had no issues. But everyone keeps hollering about the Fire Stick with Kodi. So I'm trying to get more feedback on that and may pick one up this week. But I just paid my last directv bill. Going to get me an antenna for the roof.

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 11:15 AM

16. "So what are the cons with Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick? Any?"
In response to Reply # 0

I keep hearing good things about being able to get all live sports with ease.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 11:51 AM

19. "my experience w/live sports has been hit or miss, mostly miss"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Sep-01-16 11:54 AM by Playa_Politician

using different devices (PC, shield, Pi, etc...) and pretty much same results

all sports/games available but the quality varies. at best i've seen some baseball games hit around 720p, but for the most part most events are a bit grainy, stutter and always buffer.

PPV events (UFC, Boxing) usually work decently early in fights then by the later cards when more people are presumably accessing the quality dips and it's tough to find a solid stream.

that said i use it all the time, but don't expect 1080 quality games, or many HD games often. it's cool if you want to cut the cable but not good if you're hosting sporting events at your crib if that makes sense.

--sig--
n/a

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5831 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 07:39 AM

23. "RE: So what are the cons with Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick? Any?"

>I keep hearing good things about being able to get all live
>sports with ease.

So far my experience has been pretty good with getting sports. But as mentioned don't try to host a big event because it could be a disaster if the site starts messing up or whatever, but mostly I haven't had issues getting a good picture when it comes to sports. Other live tv is a different issue though.

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 02:11 PM

26. "I appreciate the info fellas"

I'm gonna get one just for being able to see an event/game type deal by myself even if the quality is just passable. For mega events, family and friends gonna have to let me over their place lol. Sling right now is carrying the heavy lifting for the every day tv stuff for me. Qaulity of Sling really has surprised me.

sonofodin
Member since Mar 31st 2005
1191 posts
Fri Sep-30-16 11:41 AM

37. "I bought a 6month sportsmania sub"

for like $40 and it's the best thing I ever bought...HD NFL games, NFL Network, Redzone, MLB package, NBA, NHL, Soccer, even cricket...its truly unbelievable.....

xbox gamertag: Winladen
PSN: Winladen

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 11:21 AM

18. "Also, the Roku 4. Anyone have one?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm just curious how well it can play 4K video files from a usb drive. Can it pass through Atmos and other hd audio formats?

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 12:46 PM

20. "PS Vue work on PC?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have a TV and would get Sling, but PS Vue has my local CBS for sports...

--------

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 03:12 PM

21. "No"
In response to Reply # 20

PS Vue only works with PS4 and PS3, all the Roku devices, Amazon Fire TV and Stick, and Chromecast.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 01:39 AM

22. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 21

--------

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 02:07 PM

25. "I so wanted Vue to be great, but the 1 device limit is killer for me"
In response to Reply # 20

or rather 1 PS3 and 1 PS4 limit. I need at least 3 simultaneous streams. So I've gone with Sling for the moment. Stream quality has been great so far. I just miss my real dvr.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 12:20 PM

29. "Wait - I thought it allowed 5 simultaneous streams?"
In response to Reply # 25

I just checked their FAQ...looks like the limit is 1 PS3 and 1 PS4 at a time, but when including other devices you can go up to 5 at once.

So is you issue that you have 3 PS4s or PS3s that you want to stream from at once? Couldn't you just get 2 Roku Sticks for the other two rooms and then stream all 3 at the same time?

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Mon Sep-12-16 04:25 PM

32. "Really? What other devices can you use it on?"
In response to Reply # 29

Like we got 1 PS4 and 2 PS3s. Got 3 XOnes tho which makes Sling so easy. Using Kodi on the Amazon Fire Stick plus got my fam's cable login for HBO/Showtime.

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 10:27 AM

33. "Yep. Though for you since you have 3 PS devices"
In response to Reply # 32

you would have the issue of not being able to stream on both of those PS3s at once. But you can also use it on Roku Stick or the Roku 4, Amazon Fire TV or Stick, Chromecast, and mobile (iOS and Android).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

How many devices can I stream PlayStation™Vue on at once?
A single PlayStation™Vue account can simultaneously stream PlayStation™Vue on up to one PS4 console and one PS3 console in the same home. (Note: at this time, you cannot stream on two PS4 consoles or two PS3 consoles at any given time.)
You can also use PlayStation™Vue Mobile on up to 3 iOS and Android devices, as well as PlayStation™Vue on Fire TV, Roku streaming devices, and Chromecast. Up to five total streams are supported at once!

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Sep-15-16 02:49 PM

35. "Damn that's not bad at all."
In response to Reply # 33

I might do the trial to see how it compares overall to Sling.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 01:19 PM

24. "HELP: I just canceled cable. Now what? "
In response to Reply # 0

So long cable! Cut my bill by more than half switching to Comcast internet only effective September 1.

I have wifi, and am totally fine with the speed.

I have an XBox 360 and am already subscribed to Netflix, HBO Now, Amazon Prime, and WWE Network. So there's no shortage of content outlets for me and I didn't watch a ton of TV to begin with (save for Nationals baseball which is the one show I'll miss badly)

I understand I need an HD antenna so I can watch the Skins - what do you recommend? And are there any other bells and whistles you would recommend buying also to enhance the experience? I would also prefer to get my own modem too as I'm still renting Comcast's - any recommendation here that delivers great value and still doesn't sacrifice speed?

Really any kind of advice anyone can lend would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Wed Sep-07-16 12:45 AM

27. "get a 5 ghz router"
In response to Reply # 24

a $60 Asus model improved my internet speed about 8 mbps and I never drop my connection. it's a must if you live in an apartment complex; last time I checked I was the only one in my unit on 5 ghz instead of 2.4.

just tried Sling TV this weekend and I love it. HD quality and very little buffering. $25 for everything ESPN/SEC Network college football is all I need.

--------

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 11:52 AM

28. "Man Sling is great"
In response to Reply # 27

So far it's the only one of these type providers that allows 3 simultaneous streams that I know of which is a must for me.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Thu Sep-08-16 01:30 PM

30. "Sling just added the Pac 12 Network today"
In response to Reply # 28

my Saturdays are set

--------

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 02:30 PM

34. "Eh @ Sling"
In response to Reply # 28

Love that I can cancel at any time.
And the price is right.
But that stream during the NBA playoffs would be funny.
Like there were times I'd get a better picture from some of the illegal streams.

https://digife.com

obsidianchrysalis
8740 posts
Mon Sep-12-16 01:26 PM

31. "I didn't make a switch earlier because of some other factors."
In response to Reply # 0

The main one being that I couldn't figure out a way to get access to channels like E! and HGTV. (my sister, also my roommate, likes watching Fashion Police during Oscar season and E! News throughout the year)

But I just learned that Sling TV now offers E! along with all of the cooking and home improvement shows and so I'm back trying to figure out a way to get access to TV shows and movies.

I did some rough calculations and I think I can get the total package of streaming services for $90, including Sling. If there's an ISP that offers decent enough service for under $50 then we'll be saving at least $50 a month. That's a decent amount of savings.

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 07:24 AM

36. "kodi + ipvanish sub + nvidia shield + powerline adapter"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-16-16 07:25 AM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

= BO$$ L1f3

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad