Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #297818

Subject: "Assassin's Creed Syndicate coming out this week and no post?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16576 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Assassin's Creed Syndicate coming out this week and no post?"

Nobody looking forward to the release? Are we done with this franchise?

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

OutKast, Gang Starr, UGK, Mobb Deep and Eightball & MJG

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Assassin's Creed Syndicate coming out this week and no post?
Oct 19th 2015
I really enjoyed Black Flag
Oct 19th 2015
what did you like about black flag? i keep almost buying it
Oct 19th 2015
Black Flag is hella overrated.
Oct 20th 2015
yeah I've lost the desire in this series. Too much of the same
Oct 19th 2015
Kinda over it...
Oct 19th 2015
A few points.
Oct 19th 2015
The series has been dead inside since AC Revelations.
Oct 20th 2015
Only reason I played all of them was for Desmond
Oct 20th 2015
This too. The promise of Assassin's Creed
Oct 21st 2015
      There's not another historical time that I could find any real interest ...
Oct 21st 2015
           It was all a big tease, man.
Oct 21st 2015
IGN gives it an 8.2.
Oct 22nd 2015
I'm so over AC. The Azio games were interesting and Black Flag
Oct 22nd 2015
Eh, interested, but I'll wait until a price drop. I have an AC bundle Xb...
Oct 22nd 2015
Black Friday I guarantee it'll be 25-30 bucks. That's when I'll cop
Oct 22nd 2015
      Think I'ma do the same. The reviews sound positive
Oct 22nd 2015
This is my favorite AC since Brotherhood.
Nov 04th 2015
I trust you Ike
Nov 06th 2015
      Nah. You can and probably should skip Unity entirely.
Nov 06th 2015
           I fired up Unity last weekend.
Nov 06th 2015
                Smart man. Unity had some good ideas
Nov 07th 2015
So I'm like 70% done
Dec 04th 2015
MGSV is one of the best games of the year, so yeah.
Dec 04th 2015
      True
Dec 04th 2015
           I feel that.
Dec 04th 2015
                i didn't even finish Unity
Dec 05th 2015
                     Ubisoft didn't finish Unity either.
Dec 05th 2015
Out for Games For Gold now.
Apr 26th 2018

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 11:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Assassin's Creed Syndicate coming out this week and no post?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-19-15 11:52 AM by bearfield

>Are we done with this franchise?

possibly. i stopped enjoying the franchise while i was playing brotherhood. others may be feeling the fatigue one feels when there have been, say, 8 games in the past 8 years, all with nearly identical gameplay and running on the same engine. the experience of AC was great the first 2-3 times. after that diminishing returns kicked in really hard, though i understand black flag is pretty good. and i have to say that the dev teams' world-building is at times amazing. i occasionally will purchase a game in the series when it becomes super cheap on PC just to check out the environments

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I really enjoyed Black Flag"
In response to Reply # 1

The only two I can honestly say I loved were 2 and Black Flag. There were others I lost interest in. I think it played itself into the ground. Unity left a bad taste for a few. Remember playing multiplayer with a friend and doing everything perfectly then we both got stuck in walls and couldn't get out. The game glitched that bad. We both said screw it and didn't even bother finishing it.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 03:51 PM

5. "what did you like about black flag? i keep almost buying it"
In response to Reply # 3

but then i'm reminded of giving up on brotherhood not even a third of the way through b/c i became so bored with the gameplay. i imagine black flag is more of the same in a different setting, minus the big cities and climbing. brotherhood and 2 at least had some fun traversal puzzles in the tombs. for some reason i don't see a lot of jumping puzzles in black flag

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 03:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Black Flag is hella overrated."
In response to Reply # 3

the pirate shit was fun, but they didn't really fix nothing about the games. they just added boats and cannons. it's kinda some classic jumping the shark shit.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 12:46 PM

4. "yeah I've lost the desire in this series. Too much of the same"
In response to Reply # 1

Especially after playing the excellent Shadow of Mordor which to me seemed to do everything better. I haven't finished 5% of Black Flag or Unity. Just can't get hyped for the series anymore.

DrunkUncleP
Member since Aug 20th 2013
129 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 11:56 AM

2. "Kinda over it..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm interested in where they're going with the plot but for the most part, the gameplay isn't really changing much. The exception is Black Flag, sailing the seas was really well done and a lot more fun than I expected.

------------------------------------------

"And just because I smile they be thinking I be jokin..."

http://twitter.com/DrunkUncleP

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23860 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 05:56 PM

6. "A few points."
In response to Reply # 0

Once I got into Black Flag, it was awesome. I was super disappointed that none of my save data came over when I got the Xbone, and I'm too far on the 360 to start from 0% on the Bone.

I don't know if they painted themselves into a corner with the Desmond Miles storyline, but that's mainly what drew me in. Ezio was cool, but each year (ew), I wanted to know more about what Desmond was going through.

Unity didn't draw me in, at all. Just seemed like there was an overwhelming amount of shit to do and places to go. All that, on top of feeling like I have to finish the game before the E3 announcement of the next one.

My pipe dream is for them to take a year or 2 off, unpaint the Desmond corner to give him a decent finale, then do whateverthefuck from there on.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 03:03 AM

7. "The series has been dead inside since AC Revelations."
In response to Reply # 0

I've bought every game at launch, but Unity was the last straw. The yearly iterations and the loss of focus on what made the first three games special really fucked the series up.

If the reviews are strong, I'll cop, but these niggas fucked up the French Revolution game. I'm not looking forward to it.

-30-

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 02:24 PM

9. "Only reason I played all of them was for Desmond"
In response to Reply # 0

and the real world storyline. If they don't have a storyline outside of the Animus then it doesn't exist to me.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:08 PM

10. "This too. The promise of Assassin's Creed"
In response to Reply # 9

was eventually playing assassins in the past AND the present, but they've gotten so far away from that goal now.

-30-

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 06:07 PM

11. "There's not another historical time that I could find any real interest ..."
In response to Reply # 10

Video game wise, at least. Any ancient Asian period you go to is probably gonna feel like a super-slow Dynasty Warriors.

I was hoping they'd evolve Desmond into doing the building climbing on skyscrapers or whatever. That one modern-day mission in the soccer stadium was such a welcome change of pace from the Animus stuff.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 07:23 PM

12. "It was all a big tease, man."
In response to Reply # 11

They had Desmond doing parkour outside the Animus back in like AC 2 or Brotherhood, and all we got out of it was like one fight with batons and shit.

They coulda really made that shit pop.

I still think there's more history for them to explore, but they have to keep it urban. I don't wanna climb no fucking trees by myself in the woods. Let me creep through a crowd and shank niggas.

-30-

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 06:18 AM

13. "IGN gives it an 8.2."
In response to Reply # 0

go.ign.com/MWttYIU

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44802 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 07:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I'm so over AC. The Azio games were interesting and Black Flag"
In response to Reply # 0

was ok. It's just more of the same. It's boring now.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 09:13 AM

15. "Eh, interested, but I'll wait until a price drop. I have an AC bundle Xb..."
In response to Reply # 0

So when I copped an Xbox One last year, I already had Black Flag and Unity to slog through.

Took me a while to warm up to Black Flag, but I got to enjoy it. Started Unity, but haven't gotten to the meat of the game. Might have to just let it be.

Too many other good games with depth and new gameplay are hitting right now and I already have a lot of games to finish.

Off the top of my head I still have Borderlands Handsome Collection, NBA 2K16, Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, Destiny, Metal Gear V, Mad Max and Wastelands 2 to dip into.

and when Fallout 4 drops? Sheeeeeeeeeit. So AC will have to wait. When it hits like $40-50 i'll cop it.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 04:35 PM

16. "Black Friday I guarantee it'll be 25-30 bucks. That's when I'll cop"
In response to Reply # 15

if I do.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 05:01 PM

17. "Think I'ma do the same. The reviews sound positive"
In response to Reply # 16

But they also read like it's just a non-janky version of AC Unity. I'ma make myself wait. This series has gotten more of my pre-order money than it deserves anyways.

-30-

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Wed Nov-04-15 07:33 PM

18. "This is my favorite AC since Brotherhood."
In response to Reply # 0

It's not nothing revolutionary at all. It's just a solid core Assassin's Creed game. Most of the glitchy jank and framerate issues from Unity have been removed, leaving behind a game that won't win more fans to the series but will remind those of us who got hooked on the franchise why we got hooked in the first place.

Traversal is the best it's ever been. Unity's one good feature was streamlining freerunning up and down to separate buttons. That's been maintained here, but it's even better because the game actually runs smooth. Plus dat hook to scale buildings and cross broadways is crucial. The carriages are fast too, and they control car-like (it's some Victorian GTA shit), but I never use them because I'm so used to freerunning in these games.

Combat is more Arkham, like it's been the past few games. Dodging, guard breaking, and ducking projectiles are buffered better, though. Soon as you see the prompt pop up, you hit the appropriate button and continue wailing on whoever you're beating up. Your character will keep the correct timing for you. It's real fluid.

Stealth feels more intuitive and there's an actual sneak button now, so you don't have to worry about not hugging a wall the right way to make a guard ignore you no more.

The leads are charming in the Ezio and Black Flag way. And London is URBAN, which is what AC needs to be. I wanna climb roofs and jump on necks. I wanna ambush people in alleys. This setting does that.

I'm only a few hours in, but they've set the twins up to cater to two the two main play styles: rush in and kill everybody, or sneak around and take down your target cleanly. The missions seem to be balanced toward this too.

The story is still phoned in like it's been since they killed Desmond. My dream of modern day assassinations ain't coming true, but they've nailed the historical sandbox aspect of the series this time around. It just feels good to play again.

-30-

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 02:32 PM

19. "I trust you Ike"
In response to Reply # 18

I'm gonna cop it. I don't have to play Unity to play this one do I?

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 03:05 PM

20. "Nah. You can and probably should skip Unity entirely."
In response to Reply # 19

There's nothing you need to know from that game that you won't learn in this one, and you'll save 20 or so hours.

-30-

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 06:20 PM

21. "I fired up Unity last weekend."
In response to Reply # 20

I saw my mission start was waaaaay 'cross the map, and quit back to the dashboard.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Nov-07-15 08:03 PM

22. "Smart man. Unity had some good ideas"
In response to Reply # 21

but they were buried under a whole lot of bad execution and poor choices.

The best ideas from Unity show up in Syndicate, but without all the other bullshit getting in the way.

-30-

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Fri Dec-04-15 07:50 PM

23. "So I'm like 70% done"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-04-15 07:55 PM by Mafamaticks

This is probably gonna be my last time playing any game in this franchise unless they do a major overhaul. I'm burned out.

I should of copped Metal Gear instead.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Dec-04-15 08:27 PM

24. "MGSV is one of the best games of the year, so yeah."
In response to Reply # 23

I really liked Syndicate, though. It's a return to form, not a reinvention.

-30-

Mafamaticks
4667 posts
Fri Dec-04-15 10:31 PM

25. "True"
In response to Reply # 24

It's not bad, but after years of climbing viewpoints, opening chests, getting helix glitches, feathers, doing side missions, I'm gonna retire for a bit.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Dec-04-15 11:32 PM

26. "I feel that."
In response to Reply # 25

-30-

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sat Dec-05-15 01:42 AM

27. "i didn't even finish Unity"
In response to Reply # 26

i'm a huge AC fan, but yeah i just felt burnt out. i actually don't like that they keep adding more and more to the games. i kinda feel like it would be better if they just focused on the main narrative instead of adding so many little side things. yes i get that you don't have to do the side stuff, but you also need the money from them to purchase upgrades and stuff you want so you kind of do.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Dec-05-15 09:32 AM

28. "Ubisoft didn't finish Unity either."
In response to Reply # 27

-30-

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Thu Apr-26-18 12:10 AM

29. "Out for Games For Gold now."
In response to Reply # 0

I was in serious burnout for AC when this came out, but it's actually pretty fun. The characters are engaging and it makes me want to keep playing, unlike Unity or Origins.

If I could change the button mapping in Origins to make the combat like Syndicate, I'd play the shit out of that. I'm beating the fuck out of people here and it feels like I know what I'm doing.

Lobby High-Tech topic #297818 Previous topic | Next topic