Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #292445

Subject: "project gotham racing 6 AKA forza horizon 2" Search result list | First match | Last match
bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8048 posts
Sun Sep-28-14 11:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"project gotham racing 6 AKA forza horizon 2"
Sun Sep-28-14 11:52 PM by bearfield

out this tuesday (9.30.14) for 360 and xbone. i'm pretty excited for this as forza horizon is easily the best racing game i've played in many years

i'm curious to see exactly how different the 360 and xbone versions are. the 360 version is being not being developed by the original forza horizon team but it's using the same engine. the xbone version is using a different engine but it's being made by the original forza horizon devs. i wonder if they are even trying for gameplay parity between both versions or if each game is going to have its own feel

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
on the fence about copping it
Sep 29th 2014
FH2 is apparently using the FM5 engine
Sep 29th 2014
I really need custom soundtracks
Sep 29th 2014
metacritic: 54 xbone version reviews | 0 360 version reviews
Sep 29th 2014
I thought the 360 version wasn't dropping till close to Thanksgiving
Sep 29th 2014
the internet says it's released the same time as the xbone version
Sep 29th 2014
      yeah I'm pretty sure it's coming tomorrow
Sep 29th 2014
      my bad I was thinking of Shadow of Mordor. Got that on the brain
Sep 30th 2014
get an xbox one man.
Sep 29th 2014
      it's definitely tempting at this moment
Sep 29th 2014
           3 games provided the most OKP fun ever to me and are in the Hall of Fame
Sep 30th 2014
                RE: 3 games provided the most OKP fun ever to me and are in the Hall of ...
Sep 30th 2014
                     I forgot about NBA 2K8. That was as close as fun as I had on NFL 2K5
Sep 30th 2014
I already wanna punch Cut Scene Guy in the face
Sep 30th 2014
found a let's play of the 360 version. it doesn't look great
Oct 01st 2014
What's the difference between Forza & Forza Horizon?
Oct 02nd 2014
it's an open world game like TDU
Oct 02nd 2014
ok cool
Oct 03rd 2014
it splits the difference between sim and arcade racer perfectly
Oct 02nd 2014
      ok this sounds better than Forza
Oct 03rd 2014
           yeah, I liked Forza a lot better before the Top Gear guys got involved
Oct 03rd 2014
It's fun
Oct 02nd 2014
played the demo a few times
Oct 03rd 2014
yo, this game is EXCELLENT
Oct 05th 2014
*record scratch*
Oct 06th 2014
      yuuup, got it in the manufacturer kelly green just like my brother's 510
Oct 06th 2014
           I checked. None playable
Oct 08th 2014

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 06:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "on the fence about copping it"
In response to Reply # 0

i have no doubt it's going to be a dope racing game.

problem is, i said the same thing about Forza 5 and i've yet to play that joint.

i love racing games, in theory, but i never sit down to play one.

that said, i need to show my xbone some love.

i haven't bought a AAA title for it since Titanfall. FH2 and Sunset Overdrive might need to be my next two, though.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Rjcc
Charter member
94950 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 06:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "FH2 is apparently using the FM5 engine"
In response to Reply # 0

from the demo, the performance is amazing. the graphics are very good, the open world stuff jsut works, etc.

kinda pissed they didn't put in any non -oontz oontz electropop music (classical music station doesn't count for anybody) and really, you model 200 cars, and one random white dude to drive them?

I pre-ordered the ultimate edition as a digital copy, it unlocks at midnight ET.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lach
Charter member
44325 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I really need custom soundtracks"
In response to Reply # 2

I so hope MS has that coming down the pike.

bearfield
8048 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 06:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "metacritic: 54 xbone version reviews | 0 360 version reviews"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-29-14 06:21 PM by bearfield

ugh. i'm nervous about the 360 version now. hopefully MS has embargoed 360 reviews in the interest of jacking up xbone version sales rather than the 360 version being broken/terrible

apparently this game is amazing on xbone. i *kind of* wish i had one right now

Lach
Charter member
44325 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 06:58 PM

5. "I thought the 360 version wasn't dropping till close to Thanksgiving"
In response to Reply # 4

bearfield
8048 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 07:01 PM

7. "the internet says it's released the same time as the xbone version"
In response to Reply # 5

Rjcc
Charter member
94950 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "yeah I'm pretty sure it's coming tomorrow"
In response to Reply # 7

it seems like the same situation as titanfall, which turned out decent on the xbox 360.

everything I've seen makes it look like a hell of an effort. they probably could've made a better game if it were just designed as an xbox 360 game though.

Lach
Charter member
44325 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 09:18 AM

10. "my bad I was thinking of Shadow of Mordor. Got that on the brain"
In response to Reply # 7

Rjcc
Charter member
94950 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 06:59 PM

6. "get an xbox one man."
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Sep-29-14 06:59 PM by Rjcc

how are we gonna play halo 2 anniversary without bearfield snipes?

bearfield
8048 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 07:22 PM

8. "it's definitely tempting at this moment"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Sep-29-14 07:42 PM by bearfield

but

1) i'm extremely poor right now
2) i already have a current gen gaming system/all-in-one media player/streaming device in my pc
3) if i were to get a new console it would be a ps4 since it seems like it's the better console for actual gaming plus it will have bloodborne and the likely superior version of final fantasy xv

halo anniversary matches sound like fun but i'm not confident we could get everyone together for a match on a regular basis + i think a lot of our fondness for okp halo 2 battles is wrapped up in us being young and having the time and energy to waste 2-3 hours a night on race wars. recapturing that feeling seems improbable at best and we would probably get bored with the outdated gameplay in a matter of weeks. not to be too negative or anything :/

Lach
Charter member
44325 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 09:22 AM

11. "3 games provided the most OKP fun ever to me and are in the Hall of Fame"
In response to Reply # 8

Halo 2
Gears of War 1
NFL 2K5 - Damn you Hotep and Jimaveli. I use to get offline cussing y'all out. My wife would be like what in the world is wrong with you? lol

I never had as much fun online as I did with the OKPs back then on those games.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 01:43 PM

12. "RE: 3 games provided the most OKP fun ever to me and are in the Hall of ..."
In response to Reply # 11

>Halo 2
>Gears of War 1
>NFL 2K5 - Damn you Hotep and Jimaveli. I use to get offline
>cussing y'all out. My wife would be like what in the world is
>wrong with you? lol
>
>I never had as much fun online as I did with the OKPs back
>then on those games.

Man, that ONE season of NFL 2K5 singlehandedly ushered in the online console gaming experience for me. With Team Fortress 2 being a close second, I've never had that much fun with an online game. Honestly setting up the NBA 2K leagues was my attempt at trying to recapture that one football season. Hotep and those damn RB counters with Clinton Portis used to KILL me! Man that was a lot of fun.

https://digife.com

Lach
Charter member
44325 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 04:46 PM

14. "I forgot about NBA 2K8. That was as close as fun as I had on NFL 2K5"
In response to Reply # 12

That league was too much fun. I had Ray Allen playing like Kobe lol.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 01:48 PM

13. "I already wanna punch Cut Scene Guy in the face"
In response to Reply # 0

and I've only seen him twice so far

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

bearfield
8048 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 01:07 AM

15. "found a let's play of the 360 version. it doesn't look great"
In response to Reply # 0

flat lighting, very little detail in the terrain, and it's like the ground textures aren't loading correctly. it looks fine when you're just concentrating on the road but when you flick your eyes over to the left or right to glance at the terrain it looks awful. i get the feeling that it's really inconsistent in regards to graphical fidelity. i'm pretty sure the original game looks better than this but it's difficult to judge it fairly based on a youtube video rife with compression

everything else seems to be okay and most likely the same as it was in the last game. "expansion pack" is the term that comes to mind. i may get this when it hits $20 in a few months

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
16. "What's the difference between Forza & Forza Horizon?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've played Forza and I got 5 for free on XBL, but I've never played any Horizon games.

Rjcc
Charter member
94950 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:28 PM

17. "it's an open world game like TDU"
In response to Reply # 16

less realistic.

there's a demo on the marketplace, give it 10 minutes.

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 12:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
20. "ok cool"
In response to Reply # 17

>there's a demo on the marketplace, give it 10 minutes.

bearfield
8048 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 05:38 PM

19. "it splits the difference between sim and arcade racer perfectly"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Oct-02-14 05:48 PM by bearfield

at least the first one did

cars feel unique and different from one another, much like they do in more traditional sims like forza and gran turismo. this is the opposite of more arcade-ish racers like burnout and need for speed

the actual racing tends to be less punishing than sims and it encourages taking risks. the game places an emphasis on style, driving aggressively, and cleanly by rewarding the player with points for things like long drifts, consecutive passes, clean laps, etc. it's basically the kudos system from the project gotham racing series (a case could be made that the horizon series itself is an extension of the project gotham racing series)

there is a tuning system like in traditional sims but it doesn't go very deep. you can't change gear ratios or adjust your camber angle. it's a money sink, in a way. you can still do neat stuff like engine swaps and adding superchargers in addition to more commonplace things like suspension replacement and weight reduction. it's theoretically possible to modify a lower class car like a supra to the point that it is able to race alongside high end paganis and mclarens

like forza and GT, there are a lot of cars (about 200). it takes place in a contiguous open world, like burnout or test drive unlimited. it has the gradational difficulty system from forza and when you turn all the assists off it feels more like a sim than an arcade racer

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 12:08 AM

21. "ok this sounds better than Forza"
In response to Reply # 19

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 09:24 AM

22. "yeah, I liked Forza a lot better before the Top Gear guys got involved"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm stoked to have one without their involvement.

HOPE!

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 01:20 PM

18. "It's fun"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm usually drawn towards more hardcore sims, and I turned my nose up at the first Horizon game. I played the demo for this one though and preordered. The whole festival thing is a little corny (though I can see a 16 year old thinking it's cool), and Ben is a blubbering douche, but the driving and open world is pretty great. The races are all pretty fun, especially the special event ones, like where you race the jets in the demo. There are definitely enough cars to keep you interested, and I like the Bucket List challenges that let you drive the uber expensive cars without having to own them. The graphics are amazing and the attention to detail on the cars is awesome. The physics are good enough to satisfy me, but I also can't deny that off-roading the shit out of a Caterham that can do 3rd gear donuts is absurdly fun.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 09:44 AM

23. "played the demo a few times"
In response to Reply # 0

usually at 3am trashed as shit, that intro is a bit annoying and i don't think i've made it to the first checkpoint, i just start spinning and doing donuts.

looks great tho

--sig--
n/a

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Oct-05-14 09:46 PM

24. "yo, this game is EXCELLENT"
In response to Reply # 0

looks great, plays great, in the middle of what feels like an unbelievably huge world. The online options are nice, with drivatar challengers popping up all over, publicly generated custom decal options available for every new car you buy, same custom decals on all the cars you pass, just plain fun little mini games as you drive around the map -- speed traps that mark a high speed, log it in the global leaderboard, collectible sign boards tucked all over, ability to score skill points (and XP) anywhere you're driving. It's just really well made, just so much fun.

Did I say it looks great? It looks really great.

Definitely more arcade than sim, but I was getting sick of those Top Gear guys in the other Forzas. This one just feels so big and open and fun. Even the radio is dope -- I almost immediately turn the music off in every driving game since the OG Gran Turismo, but the radio tuner on this one has kept me interested so far.

So yeah, y'all should see the donuts I'm putting down with this Datsun 510, so much fun...

HOPE!

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Oct-06-14 10:17 AM

25. "*record scratch*"
In response to Reply # 24

>So yeah, y'all should see the donuts I'm putting down with
>this Datsun 510, so much fun...

a Datsun 510? freal?
lemme find out they got some good "layman" cars in this, LOL

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Oct-06-14 06:44 PM

26. "yuuup, got it in the manufacturer kelly green just like my brother's 510"
In response to Reply # 25

Threw on some sideshow-esque rims, blew the engine up and took all the weight out so it has some zip. So much fun...

They have a decent roster of classic cars, I've seen old VW vans, old VW Beetles, older Porsches and BMWs, some '60s muscle cars. Dunno about Volvos, guess I'll have to look tonight, but yeah the car lineup is fun.

HOPE!

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 02:25 PM

27. "I checked. None playable"
In response to Reply # 26

though they have some NPCs (GRRRRRRR... I saw a latter day XC70. I would love to make that heavy beast do some corners)

I tend to default to hot hatches (mostly VW) when they're not included. Some really cool cars.

Still, for Forza to include a Datsun anything (that era of Nissan seems to only really get love in the States) was a cool move

Lobby High-Tech topic #292445Search result list | First match | Last match