Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #250061

Subject: "Thinking about getting a Japanese Neo Geo" Previous topic | Next topic
13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Thinking about getting a Japanese Neo Geo"

Is it worth it? Once I get this I will own every system I ever wanted as a kid (well except a genesis but I think I'll pass on that one). However while I may have found a good deal on the system with an extra stick and some games, some other games are just ridiculous in price. Some games go for 500 bucks (games I guess I don't need).

Also I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on this Japanese version or if there are any benefits to getting an American system (besides English).

Talk to me people. Do I get this Neo Geo?

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you might want to hit up b2thej on this...
Feb 07th 2011
RE: you might want to hit up b2thej on this...
Feb 07th 2011
If you could get it for cheap sure
Feb 07th 2011
Yeah I have the roms for the games I always played
Feb 07th 2011
      Im slowly collecting some old school systems
Feb 07th 2011
           Yeah man it's crazy
Feb 07th 2011
DAMN. That reminds me they just put Super Spy in at the arcade.
Feb 07th 2011
how was the baseball stars for that system?
Feb 07th 2011
It was great but the NES version was the best
Feb 08th 2011
Damn, kids who owned Neo Geos were like fucking Yetis
Feb 08th 2011
I'mma be honest man, if you really wanna get it go ahead but
Feb 08th 2011
Ha? "Elite?" Try "rich."
Feb 08th 2011
I know man I'm looking at all these expensive ass games
Feb 09th 2011
      I don't suggest the ROMS
Feb 09th 2011
           I do have a dreamcast
Feb 11th 2011
Genesis is the shit
Feb 09th 2011
So you're the one who bought a 32X
Feb 11th 2011
i just remember seeing ads for game prices at the end of EGMs.
Feb 09th 2011
lol man it wasn't not one damn cart that was $500
Feb 09th 2011
Also you could get a consolized mvs or a supergun and come
Feb 09th 2011

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "you might want to hit up b2thej on this..."
In response to Reply # 0

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 11:21 AM

3. "RE: you might want to hit up b2thej on this..."
In response to Reply # 1

Good looking Doc.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "If you could get it for cheap sure"
In response to Reply # 0

For those prices, I have fourletters for you R-O-M-S.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 11:41 AM

4. "Yeah I have the roms for the games I always played"
In response to Reply # 2

But there is nothing like rocking the actual cartridge and the system. That said I'm not paying 500 bones for a damn game. R-O-M-S will have to do in that case.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Im slowly collecting some old school systems"
In response to Reply # 4

Nothing major, but eventually when I get to the house+kids phase of my life I want to have pretty much all the generations covered.

But Im laughing at how Neo-Geo's still breaking the bank damn near 20 years later.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 02:01 PM

6. "Yeah man it's crazy"
In response to Reply # 5

I have systems now from pretty much every era from the 2600 up to the PS3. I don't own things like the 3DO or Turbo Graphix but I never really wanted those (except 3DO had a killer basketball game).

These damn Neo Geo games going for 5 bills is just stupid...yet people pay for them.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "DAMN. That reminds me they just put Super Spy in at the arcade."
In response to Reply # 0

Need to go holler at that.

Drizzit
Member since Sep 19th 2002
6467 posts
Mon Feb-07-11 10:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "how was the baseball stars for that system? "
In response to Reply # 0

off topic, but an acquaintance growing up had one and i was always jealous that he could play a 'better' or 'prettier' baseball stars than the one i was rockin on the NES.

so fucking jealous.

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Tue Feb-08-11 08:30 AM

9. "It was great but the NES version was the best"
In response to Reply # 8

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Feb-08-11 01:34 PM

11. "Damn, kids who owned Neo Geos were like fucking Yetis"
In response to Reply # 8

I didn't know they really existed

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

b2thej
9146 posts
Tue Feb-08-11 08:43 AM

10. "I'mma be honest man, if you really wanna get it go ahead but"
In response to Reply # 0

but if you're not gonna be willing to kick out the money for the games its really no use in getting it bc a lot of the great games are $200 plus. There are still some great games you can find for under that like Samurai Shodown 2 and I think KOF 98 might still go for under that.

Also make sure you get one with a debug or universe bios so you can tamper with the region between US and Japanese and also it can change the mode from console to arcade. It unlocks shit like blood and Mai's bouncing titties(lol). Shit also works kinda like a cheat code or game genie bc you can add infinite lives for some games you need like Magician Lord or Nam 1975.

The funniest thing about owning a Neo was people thought we were on some elite status shit. I'll admit it's like that now for a lot of people but in the 90s early 2000s it was all about people who wanted to play the games the way they were supposed to play. The AES was arcade perfect, the way the game was in the arcade is how it looked and played on the AES. Shit look how long its taken them to port games to Xbox and Playstation and they still have glitches and other dumb shit that don't exist in the game, hell some of them still aren't perfect or close to perfect.

Oh and you gotta watch out for bootleg carts which really are ass.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Feb-08-11 07:34 PM

12. "Ha? "Elite?" Try "rich.""
In response to Reply # 10

>The funniest thing about owning a Neo was people thought we
>were on some elite status shit.

Also, you don't need infinite lives for Nam 1975. You just have to be FUCKING AWESOME.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 03:00 PM

17. "I know man I'm looking at all these expensive ass games"
In response to Reply # 10

thinking what am I getting into. However, I just will feel a sense of accomplishment having that system in my place. I remember the first day I went to my boy's spot and he had the Neo Geo set up in his crib. I didn't want to leave. It was like a dream.

I don't even care if the language is in Japanese since I am learning the language anyway. The bios is a good thing but it makes the system more expensive.

Those KOF games are hard as shit. I really want to get into them but even now as I have the roms they are dumb hard. Should I just keep with the ROMS and call it a day?

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

b2thej
9146 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 03:30 PM

18. "I don't suggest the ROMS"
In response to Reply # 17

I've played plenty of ROMS and they're not the same I don't care what anybody says. Every ROM I've ever played had something wrong with it.

And with KOFs the best ports were actually on Dreamcast, they're damn near perfect. So if you have a Dreamcast and want to get into KOF you can get the ones for Dreamcast. Also try your best not to break a controller bc the bosses will piss you the fuck off

You can get both Last Blades and Mark of the Wolves on Dreamcast, that'll save you bout two grand....lol

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Feb-11-11 10:11 AM

19. "I do have a dreamcast"
In response to Reply # 18

I didn't know they were that good as far as translations go. I Have one KOF already on dreamcast (hard as hell). I'll look into the other games.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 05:25 AM

13. "Genesis is the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have a working one but I still have a shoe box of Genesis and 32X games in my closet. I'd cop a new one for Rocket Knight and X-Men 2.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Feb-11-11 10:44 AM

20. "So you're the one who bought a 32X"
In response to Reply # 13

I won't lie, I was so hyped for that thing to come out at the time

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 10:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "i just remember seeing ads for game prices at the end of EGMs."
In response to Reply # 0

$599 Samurai Showdown 128MB!!!

imagine going back into time and showing a 32GB microSD card to some geeks claiming that the entire NeoGeo library is on it.

<<progressions.

b2thej
9146 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 10:47 AM

15. "lol man it wasn't not one damn cart that was $500"
In response to Reply # 14

b2thej
9146 posts
Wed Feb-09-11 10:53 AM

16. "Also you could get a consolized mvs or a supergun and come "
In response to Reply # 0

out cheaper than owning an AES. A consolized mvs is just an arcade mvs motherboard converted to be a home system but instead of playing the expensive AES carts you can play the much cheaper arcade mvs carts.

http://www.iinventgadgets.com/consolized_4-slot.jpg
http://superclassicvideogames.com/20100122_578.JPG

Lobby High-Tech topic #250061 Previous topic | Next topic