Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #234332

Subject: "Virtual On for the Saturn / Dreamcast" Previous topic | Next topic
13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Virtual On for the Saturn / Dreamcast"

I played this amazing game over the weekend at a new friends apartment. This gentleman has a great video game collection and when he mentioned Virtual On and saw that I had no idea what he was talking about he immediately fired it up.

It's basically a mech game designed like any Gundam game you've played before with ahead of it's time graphics. The version I played was for the Dreamcast. The best part is the "Twin Sticks" which were created for this game. You basically get to pilot these mechs with controllers like your inside them. The reaction time on the controllers are great. I'm so hyped I'm looking into purchasing this game and the controller but the problem is the sticks run about 150 to 200 bucks. I can't see spending that kind of money on a stick to play on one game.

Anyone here have Virtual On? Ever played it. Here's a video of some game play on the Dreamcast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCzZfuUH6g

Apparently it makes a big difference if you use the twin sticks or not.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I played it. It was a rental, fun for the moment.
Jun 01st 2010
RE: I played it. It was a rental, fun for the moment.
Jun 01st 2010
Shenmue is my favorite game for the dreamcast for sure
Jun 01st 2010
it came free with my grandpa's 233mhz pentium back in the day
Jun 01st 2010
cult classic. I have both Saturn and DC versions.
Jun 01st 2010
So you say the Saturn version is superior
Jun 01st 2010
      oh no. the Saturn *game* is much inferior.
Jun 01st 2010
Got it from Best Buy for $15 when the DC was on its death bed
Jun 02nd 2010
Yeah I've seen people pissed playing with the DC controller
Jun 02nd 2010

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I played it. It was a rental, fun for the moment."
In response to Reply # 0

but the fun wore out. It is quite repetitive. I honestly am not sure why you are so impressed with the graphics, I felt like they were the weakest link in this game. Dreamcast had much nicer graphics on plenty of other games (Shenmue, for starters). Not trying to hate, but I dont see why you would go to such extremes to get this game.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

stead21
Member since Oct 21st 2004
954 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 11:11 AM

2. "RE: I played it. It was a rental, fun for the moment."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, you can play on your computer with a Saturn Emulator just fine. My favorite Saturn Game to this day is still Last Bronx.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 03:25 PM

6. "Shenmue is my favorite game for the dreamcast for sure"
In response to Reply # 1

I also love Jet Grind Radio, however I think for a game like this the mechs look great. They also move great and being that I'm becoming a Gundam fiend ever since I played the Pod Gundam game in Japan this is the next best thing.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "it came free with my grandpa's 233mhz pentium back in the day"
In response to Reply # 0

I had some fun with it.

absence, Al_Tru_Ist, BreezeBoogie, dank_reggae, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, jacksonwonderland, LBs Finest, LML, LVing, MIAthinker, Omar_Medina, Robert, Roofdogg10, Sandbox194, Supnakga, thafuture, wonderl33t

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "cult classic. I have both Saturn and DC versions."
In response to Reply # 0

you can ONLY play this game with the Twin Sticks (the Saturn model is actually superior to the one released for the DC). I wore it out in the arcade as well; a great game for two players.

Cypher transforming into a fighter jet is one of the coolest in-game moves ever.

--------

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 02:41 PM

5. "So you say the Saturn version is superior"
In response to Reply # 4

I have a Saturn to and the twin sticks for the saturn are a lil cheaper than the DC ones. Hmm I'll look into that.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Tue Jun-01-10 05:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "oh no. the Saturn *game* is much inferior."
In response to Reply # 5

it's hard to even it play it these days because of how fast the DC version is in comparison.

I'm saying, the sticks they built for the Saturn (http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_dc/saturn_twinstick.jpg) are actually a little better than the ones for DC (http://www.myds.com.au/img/contents/01full.jpg). I think the Saturn sticks are a little more common on eBay, but either version is going to be rare and expensive.

and the Total Control 3 converter (http://www.jandaman.com/Merchant2/images/dc/dctc3.jpg) lets you connect Saturn controllers (including the Twin Sticks) to the DC. this badboy is a must anyway, because I hate the DC pad -- the Saturn analog pad, again, crushes it in design -- and the Japanese Saturn 6-button is the best pad in the history of videogames for fighters.

--------

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-02-10 12:51 AM

8. "Got it from Best Buy for $15 when the DC was on its death bed"
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly, I thought it sucked but it could have been because I only had a DC controller.

It's on 360 as a downloadable tho. I'd imagine the two analog sticks give a better experience than the DC controller did.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Jun-02-10 08:47 AM

9. "Yeah I've seen people pissed playing with the DC controller"
In response to Reply # 8

The Twin Sticks are a great way to play this game. I tell you from the moment I held them in my hands I was hooked (pause).

On a side note my Action Replay just came in the mail so I can now play my capcom fighters that require that extra Saturn memory. HYPED!

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

Lobby High-Tech topic #234332 Previous topic | Next topic