Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #194386

Subject: "*sigh* So I'm back on XP for the moment.. bye bye Ubuntu?" Previous topic | Next topic
mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Mon Jun-15-09 02:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"*sigh* So I'm back on XP for the moment.. bye bye Ubuntu?"
Mon Jun-15-09 02:32 AM by mtbatol

Was in the Ubuntu way of doing things for almost a year and decided to retreat back into Windows after formatting a new extra hard drive. After carrying over some documents & Firefox settings I'm just tempted to stay in here for as long as possible.

Not sure if I ever fixed a couple of annoying bugs in here but so far so good (*knocks on wood*) but while Linux was tons more rock solid & secure (while seeing more of my 4GB of ram), this shit here is RIGHT at home when it comes to ANYTHING dealing with sound, video, and most importantly Flash. Not saying I'm staying on here for good but I need a break from slapboxing with audio bullshit like Alsa's issues vs Pulseaudio's, flash video in Firefox acting crappy after FF is open for a few hours, and etc. What I did for the past few months though did give me enough of a reason to eventually consider upgrading towards Jaunty or Karmic and Ubuntu has proven to be friendly enough for me to use as a desktop in comparison to a couple other Linux distros i fiddled with like Redhat or whatever

..eh as it stands... XP as of this moment in time until Jaunty or Karmic or Win7 drops (or perhaps making new partition for Win7 beta but don't feel like doin alla that right now).

But yea just thought I share that - chime in if ya wish v_v

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fail.
Jun 16th 2009
yup, gonna have to cosign that.
Jun 16th 2009
lol... yea I'm taking a fail on this one :\
Jun 16th 2009

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Jun-16-09 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "fail."
In response to Reply # 0

Flash is pretty solid in Ubuntu 32 bit. Still alpha quality in 64 bit though.

Also, I haven't had sound problems in Linux in years. Upgrade ya chipset game.

---
Love,
Nopayne

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Tue Jun-16-09 05:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yup, gonna have to cosign that."
In response to Reply # 1

dude get that avast n such ready.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Tue Jun-16-09 08:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "lol... yea I'm taking a fail on this one :\"
In response to Reply # 1

I think my motherboard itself is on some other shit right now. Seen a couple folks break down some of the exact issues they had with exact mobo. Onboard sound might be suspect so I'll see what's good with either the drivers or just swiping in a sound card that'll not act suspect.

Lobby High-Tech topic #194386 Previous topic | Next topic