Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #187381

Subject: "Arcade Sticks for Macs / GBA games and the DS Lite" Previous topic | Next topic
13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Arcade Sticks for Macs / GBA games and the DS Lite"

So I've been a fan of emulators for years like most of you. On a PC I can rock out with a gang of joystick and gamepad options. However when I got my mac I noticed how limited my emulator options became. Can you please point a young man in the direction of getting either an arcade stick or a decent gamepad for fighting games etc. on a mac.

Also I have a DS Lite and I have never played any games for the GBA. Am I missing out on some quality gaming here? What should I grab up?

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Metroid Fusion
Apr 06th 2009
Fire Emblem
Apr 06th 2009
      Yeah, I never beat it because of that
Apr 06th 2009
           i lost a couple, i was just like fuck it
Apr 06th 2009
                so u guys dont use freeze & defrost?
Apr 06th 2009
                     what's that?
Apr 07th 2009
i play emu's with Playstation controllers on my mac...
Apr 06th 2009
There are alot of gamepads that are windows only
Apr 06th 2009
RE: Arcade Sticks for Macs / GBA games and the DS Lite
Apr 06th 2009
good looking on this right here
Apr 06th 2009
      RE: good looking on this right here
Apr 07th 2009
Many gamepads I've seen work on both OSes.
Apr 07th 2009
I bought an adapter off ebay that lets me connect my reg. xbox controlle...
Apr 07th 2009

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Metroid Fusion"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm replaying it now for some odd reason. It's the only Metroid game I've ever beaten (only one I've really been able to get into like that).

I like it because it takes the good about the series (exploration, combat, weapon upgrades) and gets rid of what is bad in my opinion (lack of direction). You always have some idea of what it is you need to be doing.

There's a ton of good GBA games though. Tactics Advance is awesome if you like SRPGS. The story is a bit kiddy, but I liked the actually gameplay better than the OG tactics game.

Fire Emblem is dope (hard as hell tho).

Yoshi's Island is on there. It's the only place to play the game officially aside from the the SNES version. If you haven't played it, check it out.

chin
Charter member
1366 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 08:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
5. "Fire Emblem"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm playing FE right now. my first time into the series and this is after playing through all the AdvanceWars. I have to say, i'm loving it! i'm not to concerned w/the story, but i really do enjoy the difficulty of it... the only problem with me though is when a character dies, then i'll restart the mission (in this game, when you lose a unit, its gone for the whole game)

Giving You True Lurker Hits Since 1999

gamertag: chinwhat

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 08:49 PM

6. "Yeah, I never beat it because of that"
In response to Reply # 5

I was constantly restarting it.

I still have it tho, so maybe one day.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "i lost a couple, i was just like fuck it"
In response to Reply # 6

i managed to beat it anyway

i just had to change my strategy up

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 10:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "so u guys dont use freeze & defrost?"
In response to Reply # 7

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Tue Apr-07-09 03:14 PM

13. "what's that?"
In response to Reply # 8

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 02:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i play emu's with Playstation controllers on my mac..."
In response to Reply # 0

...u just need a converter ...mine looks like this

http://www.emuparadise.org/reviews/psxn64converter/n64_psx_usb.jpg

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 02:16 PM

3. "There are alot of gamepads that are windows only"
In response to Reply # 0

that work on the mac. Pretty much anything by logitech would work.

charlie bucket
Member since Dec 06th 2004
3705 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Arcade Sticks for Macs / GBA games and the DS Lite"
In response to Reply # 0

>Also I have a DS Lite and I have never played any games for
>the GBA. Am I missing out on some quality gaming here? What
>should I grab up?

i was the same way. this list is pretty good http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/gba/2007/11/best-gameboy-advance-games-even-if-you-own-a-ds.html when i get home ill see if i have any others i can add to it

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Apr-06-09 10:28 PM

9. "good looking on this right here"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm on the hunt now. I didn't know the GBA had games like this. I missed out on that joint. I went from the original Gameboy to the DS.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

charlie bucket
Member since Dec 06th 2004
3705 posts
Tue Apr-07-09 10:18 AM

10. "RE: good looking on this right here"
In response to Reply # 9

>I went from the original
>Gameboy to the DS.

same thing for me. also to add to the list ninja five 0. despite the corny name its a good action platformer where you are a ninja that works for the cops its kinda hard though.

mother 3 is a game that people in the us go apeshit over was a japanese game that nintendo never brought over so ppl got together and translated it themselves. so you can find the rom and translation patch or whatever online. its an rpg

there is a japanese game called rhythm tengoku the new ds game rhythm heaven is the sequel to it. never came out in the us. you can go to gamefaqs.com for a translation of what you need to do for each game. i havent messed with it much but ive played the demo of rhythm heaven and its fun and rhythm tengoku is supposed to be better.

Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Tue Apr-07-09 12:29 PM

11. "Many gamepads I've seen work on both OSes."
In response to Reply # 0

All of these Logitechs, for instance, work with a Mac:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/302&cl=us,en
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/291&cl=us,en
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/286&cl=us,en
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/297&cl=us,en
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/288&cl=us,en <--(I actually bought this one for and use this one with my Mac)
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/301&cl=us,en

As for Mac emulators, this gentleman Richard Bannister has taken many of the more popular emulators and ported them to OS X. They're all free, although his "Emulation Enhancer" app that lets you use a joystick with the apps is shareware (it doesn't lock up or stop working - just a little nag screen when you first start it up)

I haven't had any problems with these apps, except that BSNES doesn't play Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. SNES9x has a Mac port that does: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11337/snes9x

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Apr-07-09 03:11 PM

12. "I bought an adapter off ebay that lets me connect my reg. xbox controlle..."
In response to Reply # 0

absence, Al_Tru_Ist, BreezeBoogie, dank_reggae, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, jacksonwonderland, LBs Finest, LML, LVing, MIAthinker, Omar_Medina, Robert, Roofdogg10, Sandbox194, Supnakga, thafuture, wonderl33t

Lobby High-Tech topic #187381 Previous topic | Next topic