Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #178224

Subject: "Steve Jobs takes leave of absence until June" Previous topic | Next topic
zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 04:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Steve Jobs takes leave of absence until June"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/technology/companies/15apple.html?_r=1

Saying his health-related issues were “more complex” than he originally thought, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, announced that he would take a medical leave of absence from the company until the end of June.

In a letter to Apple employees released after markets closed on Wednesday, Mr. Jobs said that curiosity over his personal health “continues to be a distraction not only for me and my family, but everyone else at Apple as well.”

Mr. Jobs said he had asked Tim Cook, Apple’s longtime chief operating officer, to take on responsibility for Apples’ day-to-day operations. “As C.E.O., I plan to remain involved in major strategic decisions while I am out. Our board of directors fully supports this plan,” Mr. Jobs added.

An Apple spokesman could not immediately be contacted for comment.

After-hours trading in Apple shares was halted as the news was released.Last week, Mr. Jobs said he had a hormone deficiency that had caused him to dramatically lose weight.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yikes. Looks like the market wasn't happy about this:
Jan 14th 2009
lol. that's nothing. This news released after market close.
Jan 14th 2009
      yeah I'm saying look at the (after hours) graph
Jan 14th 2009
*Starts a game show called Dying, Fired, or Quitting*
Jan 14th 2009
gotta take care of yourself people.
Jan 14th 2009
*waits for you to pull out the alias*
Jan 14th 2009
      i have no idea what you are talking about.
Jan 14th 2009
its lupus
Jan 14th 2009
http://tinyurl.com/2qdyne
Jan 14th 2009
      :(
Jan 14th 2009
      smh
Jan 14th 2009
I might not like Apple, but this news made me incredibly sad
Jan 14th 2009
he'll be ok.
Jan 14th 2009
Apple could face lawsuits over Jobs' health (swipe)
Jan 14th 2009
people are dicks.
Jan 14th 2009
its kinda bad that a company like that is so dependant on one brain
Jan 14th 2009
      it's kinda bad that investors can't get away from the economic state
Jan 14th 2009
      One brain? Apple Inc is a corporation
Jan 14th 2009
           How long can a body live without its heart?
Jan 14th 2009
                :/
Jan 14th 2009
i think it says something that dude is basically dying but trying front
Jan 15th 2009
i thought Mac users don't get viruses*? shit must be serious if that Ay-...
Jan 15th 2009

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "yikes. Looks like the market wasn't happy about this:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Fuck your sig.

Triptych
Charter member
30126 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
2. "lol. that's nothing. This news released after market close."
In response to Reply # 1

It'll drop 10+ points tomorrow.

I'll buy.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Nopayne
52628 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yeah I'm saying look at the (after hours) graph"
In response to Reply # 2

at the time of the announcement.

Fuck your sig.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "*Starts a game show called Dying, Fired, or Quitting*"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 06:07 PM

5. "gotta take care of yourself people."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope he gets well.

...take your time, Mr. Jobs.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 06:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "*waits for you to pull out the alias*"
In response to Reply # 5

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 06:46 PM

7. "i have no idea what you are talking about."
In response to Reply # 6

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

B.WilkZ
Member since Sep 18th 2006
4210 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 06:54 PM

8. "its lupus"
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------

92.1 FM -- THE GOOD WORD //
Pittsburgh PA - Sat 7 to 9PM

www.thegoodwordradioshow.com

xbox live: Bwilkz

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57010 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 08:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "http://tinyurl.com/2qdyne"
In response to Reply # 8

http://tinyurl.com/2qdyne

SpaceBullets
Member since Nov 04th 2007
664 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 09:35 PM

16. ":("
In response to Reply # 14

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 10:05 PM

18. "smh"
In response to Reply # 14

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 07:18 PM

9. "I might not like Apple, but this news made me incredibly sad"
In response to Reply # 0

You must not know bout me, you must not know bout me, to the left, to the left (C) "Killa" Camron

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 07:36 PM

10. "he'll be ok."
In response to Reply # 9

i'm not sad at all, he can relax and take care of himself.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 08:28 PM

11. "Apple could face lawsuits over Jobs' health (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Apple could face lawsuits over Jobs' health
Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14pm EST
By Gina Keating

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1446108120090115

LOS ANGELES, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Apple Inc (AAPL.O) probably will be sued by investors unhappy with the company's about-face on the health of its visionary chief executive, but the law is not clear on what duty the company has to disclose personal medical information, legal experts said on Wednesday.

Apple said CEO Steve Jobs, 53, will take a medical leave of absence until June. The announcement that comes just nine days after the pancreatic cancer survivor downplayed investor concerns about his dramatic weight loss in recent months, saying it was caused by an easily treatable hormone imbalance.

Analysts and investors complained that Apple was slow to disclose Jobs' true medical status and to form a succession plan after his 2004 cancer treatment because of his crucial role in vetting the company's forward-looking designs.

"It is a gray area because what is personal and what's a fiduciary responsibility?" Ashok Kumar, an analyst with investment banking firm Collins Stewart LLC, said. "Steve's presence at Apple probably carries significantly more weight than ... Michael Dell's presence at Dell."

The company's share price dropped as much as 10 percent on the announcement despite some analysts' belief that a potential Jobs health crisis was "baked in" to the price.

Although securities lawsuits usually arise from companies' false statements about material aspects of their businesses, Apple could run into trouble by falsely allaying investors concerns about whether Jobs would remain at its helm.

Plaintiffs and defense attorneys said this type of fraud allegation would be hard to prove and a first of its kind.

'THE MOST PRIVATE PART OF HIS LIFE'

"It is extremely difficult because it is the most private part of his life," Steve Williams, a plaintiffs attorney for Cotchett Pitre & McCarthy, said. "At the same time, Apple is Steve Jobs."

Former U.S. Securities and Exchange Commissioner Joseph Grundfest said Apple crossed no line if it failed to provide thorough disclosures about Jobs' health unless company insiders traded on the knowledge before it was disclosed publicly.

No securities rules and no legal precedents directly address CEO health but Grundfest acknowledged that investors could argue that Jobs' status as CEO was critical to their decision to invest in Apple.

"I never underestimate the cleverness of plaintiffs attorneys but I personally am aware of no theory that would support a filing of a case," Grundfest said.

Williams said, however, that Apple may have "minimized" Jobs' illness in the same way that pharmaceutical companies sometimes fail to promptly and thoroughly disclose how drugs are faring in government trials -- a frequent lawsuit target.

"If the company misled me by giving me the impression that (Jobs) was going to continue to lead the company, that could be an actionable statement," Williams said.

But a defense attorney said investors probably would need a "smoking gun" to overcome the company's likely defense that Jobs' medical condition was constantly evolving.

"In the absence of some memo from a doctor that contradicts what he is saying, I would think it would be problematic for a plaintiffs (to sue for disclosure lapses)," said the attorney, who asked not to be named because his firm is litigating with Apple. "It is not the same as looking at a piece of financial information at the end of the month." (Reporting by Gina Keating and Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles; editing by Richard Chang)

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 08:38 PM

12. "people are dicks."
In response to Reply # 11

i understand feeling betrayed as an actual stockholder of AAPL stock, I hope Steve takes care of himself and gets healthy. Apple's SVPs can focus on Apple, Steve can focus on Steve.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 08:39 PM

13. "its kinda bad that a company like that is so dependant on one brain"
In response to Reply # 11

<--- Big Baller World Order

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 09:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "it's kinda bad that investors can't get away from the economic state"
In response to Reply # 13

of mind.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 09:50 PM

17. "One brain? Apple Inc is a corporation"
In response to Reply # 13

Not a man. They got scientists and engineers who help make extraordinary products Steve Jobs founded it and saved it from oblivion but the ideas don't all stem from him.
But they are all obviously indoctrinated with a Jobsian outlook on things. Most of the hardware genius we see came from one brilliant dude that gets props but people probably would recognize him.

Use your Google. Google Jonathan Ive.
Helll Google Apple Board of Directors.. Google's CEO sits on there. Fucking Al Gore is on the board too...why? Hell if I know. LOL

Google any of Apple's SVPs. These dudes are no idiots.
Steve Jobs is the heart of Apple but the mind is a hive mind of brilliant individuals.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Nopayne
52628 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 10:36 PM

19. "How long can a body live without its heart?"
In response to Reply # 17

>Google any of Apple's SVPs. These dudes are no idiots.
>Steve Jobs is the heart of Apple but the mind is a hive mind
>of brilliant individuals.

Fuck your sig.

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Jan-14-09 11:12 PM

20. ":/"
In response to Reply # 19

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Thu Jan-15-09 01:25 AM

21. "i think it says something that dude is basically dying but trying front"
In response to Reply # 0

like he not just for the sake of Apple
i mean fuck the investors....why didn't HE have enough faith in the company to leave?
why not step down way back when this shit first started surfacing and see how the market and the company handled his absence while he was still alive
now he prolly got like 3 weeks to live or some shit and he waited till the last minute to step down

~~~~~~

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Thu Jan-15-09 10:02 AM

22. "i thought Mac users don't get viruses*? shit must be serious if that Ay-..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ay-pple Money can't pay for a cure.

*joking

get well, Steve.

<<progressions.

Lobby High-Tech topic #178224 Previous topic | Next topic