Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #177004

Subject: ""Ikaruga" and other Shoot 'Em Up Discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sat Jan-03-09 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Ikaruga" and other Shoot 'Em Up Discussion"

we talk about everything else. lets mix it up

i've liked top down shooters for as long as i can remember but i'm still not a beast.

I'm working my way through Ikaruga on hard

i just started playing Zero Gunner now that the Dreamcast is back out

what are your favorites? what game have you broken the controller on? lets discuss

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Geometry Wars 2 is kinda unfuckwittable at this point
Jan 05th 2009
Yeah, Geometry Wars 2 two is certified dope
Jan 05th 2009
this thread is a good analogy re: the death of shooters.
Jan 05th 2009

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Mon Jan-05-09 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Geometry Wars 2 is kinda unfuckwittable at this point"
In response to Reply # 0

shared leaderboards? multiple gameplay modes? quick rounds and huge multipliers? some of the best twitch you're going to get.

(Although I *do* love me some Ikaruga.)

I've played lots of R-Type: Final, but mainly to keep just unlocking new ships. It's gameplay is pretty soft compared to most others.
Me and a buddy had a few pretty solid nights getting drunk and playing Gradius V. That game was NOT fucking around.

Those are the two biggest I've played, probably, besides Ikaruga and GW2. I know I've played others, but never binged quite like those.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

Whiteout
Member since Aug 30th 2005
3577 posts
Mon Jan-05-09 07:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah, Geometry Wars 2 two is certified dope"
In response to Reply # 1

Best update to a game concept I can remember in my hyperbolic mind.

. . .
psn: sirius_fruits

but that shit's stupid though.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Jan-05-09 10:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this thread is a good analogy re: the death of shooters."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not a big expert in the genre but I have my favorites.

UN Squadron (SNES) is one. choosing your specials, upgrading the ship and getting to pick mission order was great.

M.U.S.H.A. (Genesis) was another classic. top down, with some sick parallax effects going on. the whole feudal-mecha Japanese theme was a nice bonus.

right now I'm on Thunderforce V (Saturn). it's got some cool effects, in a retro 32-bit way. one of the weapons is abusively powerful tho.

if we're talking 3-D, then Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn) is my all-time favorite shooter. the storyline and play design was boss, plus the graphics still look fluid to this date. can't beat that dragoon leveling up system either.

--------

Lobby High-Tech topic #177004 Previous topic | Next topic