Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #118132

Subject: "Advice on switching to Ubuntu?" Previous topic | Next topic
_Sandokhan__
Member since Jul 08th 2007
5877 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Advice on switching to Ubuntu?"

I'm sick of shit I have to deal with with Windows

get out there
http://seattlecosprotest.blogspot.com/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
download the live CD
Sep 03rd 2007
we answered yo ass in gd
Sep 03rd 2007
Don't.
Sep 03rd 2007
i'm not gonna evangelize.
Sep 03rd 2007
Set up a dual boot and play w/ it
Sep 03rd 2007
yeah play with it first, because its still not 'ready' yet...
Sep 04th 2007
Two questions
Sep 05th 2007
do you use the command line much?
Sep 05th 2007
      I use it when I have to
Sep 06th 2007
Thanks for all the responses
Sep 07th 2007

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "download the live CD"
In response to Reply # 0

if you like it, go ahead and install it for real

-------------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/therealnopayne
http://www.last.fm/user/nopayne/

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 06:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "we answered yo ass in gd"
In response to Reply # 0

Today is the tomorrow we should have feared yesterday

alexthezombie
Member since Jan 18th 2004
2950 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 07:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Don't."
In response to Reply # 0

I've made the switch so many times I've lost count. Basically, I get fed up with Windows and decide that it's time to move to Ubuntu. Then I get into Ubuntu, get a few apps installed, mess around on the Internet for a bit, then spend HOURS trying to get things that should work out of the box working and setup (DVD playback, various drivers, printers, drives, a few media ports on my notebook, etc.)

AND THEN (this is my favorite part about the Windows-to-Linux process), I spend the following morning searching for decent equivalents of the software I use in Windows to find that 99.9% of the freeware that exists for Linux is knock-off quality AT BEST. Heaven forbid that freeware software and open-source developers learn how to create a decent GUI, let a lone some easier-to-access functionality.

So after the long process of realizing that Linux isn't quite ready for... ANYONE that uses a computer for more then Internet and Office, I make the reformat and reinstall back to Windows.

Oh! And not to mention, if you make ONE mistake installing any of the drivers, and reset, you pretty much have to reinstall Linux. And don't expect easy fixes on ANYTHING. Every action in the world requires the terminal and subsequently, complex terminal commands.

My advice, stick with Windows and take better care of your OS.

G Zeus Malverde
Member since Aug 24th 2007
48 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 09:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i'm not gonna evangelize."
In response to Reply # 3

and you're entitled to your opinion. but a lot of this is factually incorrect.

like this:

>Oh! And not to mention, if you make ONE mistake installing any
>of the drivers, and reset, you pretty much have to reinstall
>Linux. And don't expect easy fixes on ANYTHING. Every action
>in the world requires the terminal and subsequently, complex
>terminal commands.

you never have to reinstall linux. well, almost never. but im pretty sure you didn't have to reinstall the times you reinstalled to fix a driver problem.

a lot of people who try linux confuse "easy to use" with "exactly what i'm used to." but you had to learn windows, too. i've used linux for a (relatively) long time. i know how to read a log file. i know how to read a man page. i know i'd rather edit a flat file than mess with a registry key. so, for me, there are easy fixes (relative to their windows and osx equivalents) to almost everything.

eunos
Member since May 22nd 2002
6223 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 07:50 PM

4. "Set up a dual boot and play w/ it"
In response to Reply # 0

you'll know if it's for you or not after an hour or so of trying it out.

You also might want to check out Freespire. They have the Click'N'Run deal for all of their software which makes the transistion easier. I know they're teaming up w/ Ubuntu to allow Ubuntu to run it too, but I don't think it's happened quite yet.

Project
Member since Nov 05th 2003
261 posts
Tue Sep-04-07 04:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "yeah play with it first, because its still not 'ready' yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

...for mainstream desktop use. If you are really tired of Windows, check for a Mac. If you dont want to cop a new machine, you can still run OSX on your existing PC. Google Hackintosh

"My sleep is interrupted by food on the stove - not gunshots, we immune to those..." - Cormega

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Wed Sep-05-07 12:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Two questions"
In response to Reply # 0

1. What are you gonna use it for?

2. What kinda box are you installing it on?

I made the switch about a month ago. I've got everything working that I need: multimedia is up and all good (watching DVDs/videos, listening to music, ripping CDs, transferring music to the iPod), internet is all good (you're probably already using Firefox already). Most things are plug n play at this point, especially anything USB wise. There's some issues with wireless cards and other cards, but usually somebody has figured out how to fix it and has posted the answer on the ubuntu forums. If they haven't, you can ask. Ubuntu has some of the best community support in the world. I don't plan on going back.

Yes, you'll have to mess around with packages and occasionally with the command line, but it's not difficult to learn and you really can't mess anything up too badly. Although I do have the added benefit of two close friends who I can call up whenever I can't get something work just right. But at the end of the day, I like having more of a personal relationship with my computer. I feel like I understand more about what makes the damn thing work. It's not all magic inside anymore.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

jest
Member since Jun 18th 2006
1786 posts
Wed Sep-05-07 11:28 PM

8. "do you use the command line much?"
In response to Reply # 7

i tried it out, and liked it a alot.

but the more i got into it, the more i realized i had to learn all those commands to really get it customized the way i wanted...

since then, i never really got back into it. too much typing...

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Thu Sep-06-07 04:54 AM

9. "I use it when I have to"
In response to Reply # 8

When I can do something via the GUI or the terminal I usually choose the GUI. I actually used to do some minor programming in Unix and C++ so some of the commands are familiar to me. I'd like to get more familiar but I really don't have the free time.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

_Sandokhan__
Member since Jul 08th 2007
5877 posts
Fri Sep-07-07 11:20 PM

10. "Thanks for all the responses"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-07-07 11:21 PM by _Sandokhan__

Everybody but "exactopposite" gave some good insight.

I tried it using a self installing program.

Messed around with it
and realized it wasn't for me. I love the idea of it though. Maybe in a year or two it'll be more user friendly for the terminally PC'd.

get out there
http://seattlecosprotest.blogspot.com/

Lobby High-Tech topic #118132 Previous topic | Next topic