Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #154685

Subject: "this is why you shouldn't pay attention to any #'s from VGChartz" Previous topic | Next topic
Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"this is why you shouldn't pay attention to any #'s from VGChartz"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The article doesn't say "don't pay attention to them"
Jun 24th 2008
no it doesn't you
Jun 24th 2008
      Maybe one day you'll have something important to call people names over....
Jun 24th 2008
           you got the uncompromising part right
Jun 24th 2008
                Hey, I'm all about not compromising my ideals...
Jun 24th 2008
                     Geez, homey. You lost, get over it.
Jun 24th 2008
                     Did I ask you fucking opinion?
Jun 24th 2008
                          lol. but you did sorta pick a fight and you are sorta wrong.
Jun 24th 2008
                          I could have argued my point further...
Jun 24th 2008
                               what the fuck you fucking jackass?
Jun 24th 2008
                          lol, this is only the second time I've ever replied
Jun 24th 2008
                     chill out, RJ is just a typical agro tech-nerd
Jun 24th 2008
good read.
Jun 24th 2008
The article or the debate? lol
Jun 24th 2008
      lol I still haven't read the article
Jun 24th 2008
      that argument up top? there is no debate.
Jun 25th 2008
I'd love to see an article that shows how the NPD gets
Jun 25th 2008
have you ever been to a gamespot and a wal-mart?
Jun 25th 2008
      I'm not too sure about that
Jun 25th 2008
           yeah, I'm sure npd just draws a straight line to 100%
Jun 25th 2008
                You are peasant (c) His Holiness
Jun 25th 2008
                     LOL
Jun 25th 2008
                          Amazon is such a small segment, yet you want me to compare
Jun 25th 2008
                               RE: Amazon is such a small segment, yet you want me to compare
Jun 25th 2008
                                    There ya go
Jun 25th 2008
RE: this is why you shouldn't pay attention to any #'s from VGChartz
Jun 27th 2008

Pinko_Panther
Member since Dec 11th 2002
11808 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The article doesn't say "don't pay attention to them""
In response to Reply # 0

It basically says that they provide quick data that should be analyzed skeptically but that they still provide a service for those who want a fast and general idea of how something is selling.

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "no it doesn't you"
In response to Reply # 1

for those who can read: it says "VGChartz numbers cannot be trusted"

which part of that isn't clear ?

anyone can find out how many copies of a game shipped, call their local gamestop and extrapolate.

that isn't real numbers.

only the most fradulent of people would call them numbers, issue a "press release" then later go back and erase their original numbers and replace them with ones that match ACTUAL sales data, without noting that they've been updated, a month later.

if their numbers are good for quick and dirty, how come none of their own press releases ever refer to them as "only estimates and projections", and instead act as if they are real numbers?

if those numbers re at all worthwhile, why do they erase thme and swap them out for actual sales data as soon as possible without saying where they've stolen information from?

that's right, cuz they're BS and you're an idiot.

FREE CHAI VANG!

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Maybe one day you'll have something important to call people names over...."
In response to Reply # 2

Until then get the fuck over yourself. Seriously, I've never heard such a pompous and uncompromising fool in my life. You're like the entire republican party wrapped into one internet forum spastic.

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:42 AM

4. "you got the uncompromising part right"
In response to Reply # 3

everything else, wrong.

but hey, that's one thing!

FREE CHAI VANG!

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 03:11 AM

6. "Hey, I'm all about not compromising my ideals..."
In response to Reply # 4

... just not over the meaningless donkey shit that you flip out about. Shit, if you had that kind of fire about real shit like, oh i don't know, poverty, war and general injustices in the world, maybe you would actually accomplish something worth being a dick over.

ansomble
Member since Nov 30th 2005
33508 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 08:41 AM

8. "Geez, homey. You lost, get over it."
In response to Reply # 6

RJCC is RJCC so deal with it. And how you figure what he does when he isn't flaming people on the High Tech board? That's naive and elitist of you.

☺☻

"i'm doing good, can i put my face in your buttcrack?" (c) P.Inf

"frankly, I think it's foolish to have a cat or a baby, but whatever" (c) veritas

@kingofthings

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 01:40 PM

10. "Did I ask you fucking opinion?"
In response to Reply # 8

Like holy fucking erotic henchmen batman! Every time I get in an argument with RJ, I can always count on you showing up in his corner, playing the role of big spoon and stroking his cock. Congrats!

Triptych
Charter member
30127 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
11. "lol. but you did sorta pick a fight and you are sorta wrong."
In response to Reply # 10

Like, if you gonna argue with reggie jack at least do your research and pick your battles.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Pinko_Panther
11808 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 01:54 PM

12. "I could have argued my point further..."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Jun-24-08 02:02 PM by Pinko_Panther

but I don't engage someone who comes at me like a complete weasel. I read the article completely and I still don't think the author was discrediting VGChartz altogether. He was cautioning against taking their numbers too seriously. In fact, it was more of a caution to writers and researchers than it is to regular message board geeks who want an idea of how their favorite game is doing.

Here's a quote:

"There's a place for a resource like VGChartz, but it'd be a site that clearly labels the source of its estimates (whether it be Chart-Track, NPD, Media Create - even if some of those sources have poor data dissemination and a fractious relationship with the media) and then labels which are its own estimates based on its own industry knowledge and whatever channel checks it has.

But if I was a writer or analyst trying to extrapolate significant information from the resource, especially regarding those titles which don't chart regularly, given the major discrepancies with other figures shown here, I would not recommend it."

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:21 PM

13. "what the fuck you fucking jackass?"
In response to Reply # 12

so basically, your point is that you don't need numbers that aren't made up, cuz hey, you're just a forum poster.

ok, if that's good enough for you. don't post that bullshit here though.

FREE CHAI VANG!

ansomble
Member since Nov 30th 2005
33508 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 02:23 PM

15. "lol, this is only the second time I've ever replied"
In response to Reply # 10

to you in a post ever. For the first time refer to reply #8.

So you are wrong again. Go knit a rainbow scarf with your colorful mouth. Nigga think he big cuz he can cook a few long ass insults up.

☺☻

"i'm doing good, can i put my face in your buttcrack?" (c) P.Inf

"frankly, I think it's foolish to have a cat or a baby, but whatever" (c) veritas

@kingofthings

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 10:00 AM

9. "chill out, RJ is just a typical agro tech-nerd"
In response to Reply # 6

he interacts with computer screens and keyboards, not people. I mean, you too would be angry if you drove a Lincoln LS and weren't 65.

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 03:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "good read."
In response to Reply # 0

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

soopabruva1
Member since Apr 20th 2005
621 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 06:29 AM

7. "The article or the debate? lol"
In response to Reply # 5

Lach
Charter member
44333 posts
Tue Jun-24-08 06:34 PM

16. "lol I still haven't read the article"
In response to Reply # 7

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 12:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "that argument up top? there is no debate."
In response to Reply # 7

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 01:21 AM

18. "I'd love to see an article that shows how the NPD gets"
In response to Reply # 0

their estimates.

I'd also be particularly interested in how they apply trends seen in other retailers to places they don't cover like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

I would think that the numbers a game does at Gamespot won't necessarily jive as well with the Wal-Mart crowd, particularly with more mainstream stuff like the Wii. I'd guess that stuff like Carnival Games, Boom Blox and other, more family oriented stuff would sell better at a Wal-Mart than a specialty games store.

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 01:47 AM

19. "have you ever been to a gamespot and a wal-mart?"
In response to Reply # 18

what sells at one is pretty much the same as what sells at another

NPD doesn't have 100% numbers, IIRC, they claim about 60% and use projections.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're not horribly off, since videogame companies pay high prices to find out how their competition is doing. That there is some transparency and accountability for the people who actually pay for these results as to how they are collected is also a factor.

in comparison, no one pays for vg chartz "projections" and for all their claims of data, hard data, and retailers, they never ever say where their numbers actually come from and how they verify them.

FREE CHAI VANG!

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 08:31 AM

20. "I'm not too sure about that"
In response to Reply # 19

considering that one just sells games and the other sells everything. Because of that, I think the average person going into each store is different andwould therefor buy different games. I would guess more "kiddie" games are being purchased at Wal-Mart since more people shopping there likely have children.

>what sells at one is pretty much the same as what sells at
>another

>NPD doesn't have 100% numbers, IIRC, they claim about 60% and
>use projections.

Yeah, I'm curious about their projections. If they just guess that a huge retailer like Wal-Mart is having sales in line with Gamestop, and those numbers aren't in line, it could greatly skew the data.
>I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're not horribly
>off, since videogame companies pay high prices to find out how
>their competition is doing. That there is some transparency
>and accountability for the people who actually pay for these
>results as to how they are collected is also a factor.
>
>in comparison, no one pays for vg chartz "projections" and
>for all their claims of data, hard data, and retailers, they
>never ever say where their numbers actually come from and how
>they verify them.
I wasn't saying that VG Chartz was doing anything "better"; those guys are kinda like Patchter in that they're just taking guesses based on a number of factors. I'm just curious about that 40% the NPD doesn't cover and what techniques they use to get them.

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 10:18 AM

21. "yeah, I'm sure npd just draws a straight line to 100%"
In response to Reply # 20

>Yeah, I'm curious about their projections. If they just guess that a huge retailer like Wal-Mart is having sales in line with Gamestop, and those numbers aren't in line, it could greatly skew the data.

that's absolutely stupid, it would make their data worthless to their customers if it wasn't reasonably accurate. npd is aware of the demographics of people going to a wal-mart and a gamestop and can adjust accordingly. Your idea that they're wildly different is just wrong. Stand around a toys r us or wal-mart games department for 10 minutes and you'd notice that. You can SAY you think they're very different, but they're not.

FREE CHAI VANG!

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 01:54 PM

22. "You are peasant (c) His Holiness"
In response to Reply # 21

>>Yeah, I'm curious about their projections. If they just
>guess that a huge retailer like Wal-Mart is having sales in
>line with Gamestop, and those numbers aren't in line, it could
>greatly skew the data.
>
>
>that's absolutely stupid, it would make their data worthless
>to their customers if it wasn't reasonably accurate.

And my entire point was that I want to see HOW they do it. TV relies on the Nielsons, which cover maybe 25,000 households out of the literally millions in the US. Does the NPD work on a similarly small scale with large estimates? Who the fuck knows...which is why I'd like to read something examining their methods.

npd is
>aware of the demographics of people going to a wal-mart and a
>gamestop and can adjust accordingly.

How do they do that and how do you know they do that? Oh, that's right. You don't.

Your idea that they're
>wildly different is just wrong. Stand around a toys r us or
>wal-mart games department for 10 minutes and you'd notice
>that. You can SAY you think they're very different, but
>they're not.

Yes. Standing around for ten minutes in each store is a great way to see how things will play out. I bet that's why the Amazon top 20 always perfectly mirrors the NPDs.

Oh, wait...

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 02:12 PM

23. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 22

actually - you can read up on the npds methodology.

you clearly don't want to, which is why you haven't.

since you haven't, there's nothing to discuss here except your assumption that wal-mart and other stores experience significantly different games sales just because they sell more than games -- despite the fact the fact you have no reason to think so other than your own seat of the pants analysis.

the amazon top 20 is such a small segment and relative of such a small segment of time that only your lack of knowledge is displayed by comparing the two, even in jest

FREE CHAI VANG!

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 05:09 PM

24. "Amazon is such a small segment, yet you want me to compare"
In response to Reply # 23

based on being in a store for ten minutes?

Not to mention Amazon is the world's largest online retailer, basically the Wal-Mart of the internet...but no, their numbers are much less important than being in two stores for a total of twenty minutes and comparing based on that.

Next time you type something, why don't you step away for ten minutes, then come back and read it again to make sure you aren't saying something retarded.

After the retard test, you need to re-read what I wrote to make sure you got the point. You clearly missed it this time; all I said was that I'd like to read about the NPD's methods for retail tracking, since that would be a lot more important than finding out about VG Chartz.

Which brings us to this:

>actually - you can read up on the npds methodology.

If there was something on the methodology of NPD, you could have said so after the first damn post I made instead of going on a rant about VG Chartz not being legit!

I swear, it's like you just want to argue. Even saying "google it" © RJCC would be fine in this case.

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 05:41 PM

25. "RE: Amazon is such a small segment, yet you want me to compare"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Jun-25-08 05:41 PM by Rjcc

>based on being in a store for ten minutes?
>
>Not to mention Amazon is the world's largest online retailer,
>basically the Wal-Mart of the internet...but no, their numbers
>are much less important than being in two stores for a total
>of twenty minutes and comparing based on that.

I didn't say it was becuase it was amazon. I said it's because top twenty list and the way it works isn't at all relevant to stats over an entire month. it's just stupid.

what you would be able to observe in either store in just ten minutes, is that the the demographics are much more alike than you've suggested. It probably matters a lot more WHERE the store is, and what is around it, than what kind of store it is. but fuckit, why argue the shit sensibly, when you could lamely suggest that nintendo is getting jobbed by NPD.

>
>Next time you type something, why don't you step away for ten
>minutes, then come back and read it again to make sure you
>aren't saying something retarded.
>
>After the retard test, you need to re-read what I wrote to
>make sure you got the point. You clearly missed it this time;
>all I said was that I'd like to read about the NPD's methods
>for retail tracking, since that would be a lot more important
>than finding out about VG Chartz.
>
>Which brings us to this:
>
>
>>actually - you can read up on the npds methodology.
>
>If there was something on the methodology of NPD, you could
>have said so after the first damn post I made instead of going
>on a rant about VG Chartz not being legit!
>
>
>I swear, it's like you just want to argue. Even saying "google
>it" © RJCC would be fine in this case.

GOOGLE THAT SHIT

>
>
>
>

FREE CHAI VANG!

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Jun-25-08 07:18 PM

26. "There ya go"
In response to Reply # 25

>GOOGLE THAT SHIT

Esco
Charter member
44856 posts
Fri Jun-27-08 10:30 AM

27. "RE: this is why you shouldn't pay attention to any #'s from VGChartz"
In response to Reply # 0

Black Men: Huddle with me for a moment."
Fri Jun-27-08 10:58 AM by Esco

*Just ignore replies that aren't from one of us.*

One of us gotta put our feets down.

No more unprovoked negative posts about any particular woman's looks, please.

Can we at least try? Let's be respectful. Wether she posts here or not. Seriously. Unless its some EXTREME case of whatever... let's leave it be. You think they don't get enough criticizm from each OTHER offline, let alone on a place that they come to for entertainment. You think they don't feel some kind of way when we talk ubershit about a woman that looks just like them? They obviously should be inclined, because most of the women we (as so-called men) talk down upon are usually just your typical black woman as she was created to be.

If they wanna tear each other down. Fuckit. Let em. Thats they shit, We should mind our own biz. And start actin like real men.

Shit thats how the fuck i feel about white posters gettin mad comfy and always gotta throw they 2 cents in the race talks (all i can think is shut the fuck up we're tired of your fuckin input. have been for quite some time. all you doin is pissin us the fuck off and cuttin ties. we already know how you insensitive bitches feel. we didn't care when we heard it the first time... sorry i'm gettin carried away..)

but i digest (c) geah

Let them do them. We gotta do a new us. That shit ain't cool.

Matter of fact post up some CURRENT pics of your mother before you criticize one of these women's looks.

Now when they say some stupid shit... GO ALL THE WAY IN!

When they wanna criticize you first? Speak your mind.

But unprovoked attack on someone for simply being ain't cool. At least not Men attacking Women. Hell crack jokes on each other like we been doin.

But as long as they keep makin me goodass sammiches Esco cares if don't nobody else care (c)

EDIT:

BTW I'm not talking about mild critique on someone soliciting it. I'm talkin about malicious/vicious attacks that are commonly bullshitted though to the boards as corny ass gay ass "jokes"

Lobby High-Tech topic #154685 Previous topic | Next topic