Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #138511

Subject: "FiOS heads with wireless 360s" Previous topic | Next topic
sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 12:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FiOS heads with wireless 360s"

Ive had FiOS for a while now working just fine for XBL using a Linksys router. Everytime the Verizon guys have come out here theyve wanted to put their stupid Verizon router in, but have been convinced not to.

Well I got the TV service hooked up yesterday, and they put their stupid Verizon (Actiontec M1424WR) router in. Apparently the 360 Wireless Adapter doesnt work with this router. AWESOME. I heard I can make my Linksys an access point or something and it will work but I havent gotten that to work yet.

What are you guys doing to make this work?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i gave up and hardwired it.
Feb 13th 2008
They won't let you use your own router?
Feb 13th 2008
      I actually don't know...
Feb 13th 2008
      it can be done and there is info out there about it but
Feb 13th 2008
I gave up for now.
Feb 13th 2008
This is what I did
Feb 14th 2008
it works just fine NOW
Feb 14th 2008
RE: it works just fine NOW
Feb 14th 2008
yes I am FIOS support
Feb 14th 2008
      fam!! NOW help me get my Windows Home Server to get
Feb 15th 2008
           you on your own for that one player
Feb 16th 2008
On the real... THANKS!!
Feb 15th 2008

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44632 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i gave up and hardwired it."
In response to Reply # 0

I was able to find some links to open up ports on that router, but I can't remember them and I don't have them saved.
Google around to see if you can figure out which ports to open. Overall that router is reliable, but I hate that it comes with so many ports locked down. I had fool around with it something aweful in order to get my Home Server website up.

sig below:
-..Some say the price of holdin heat is often too high, you either be in a coffin or you be the new guy...

-A monkey is chased by a hyena and you cannot tell the laughter from the screams.

-Is there gas in the car?
Yes, there's gas in the

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "They won't let you use your own router?"
In response to Reply # 1

Fuck kinda shit is that?

FLUIDJ
44632 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 10:46 AM

3. "I actually don't know..."
In response to Reply # 2

I had this old ass Microsoft Router that was on the fritz so I was cool with getting a fresh new one from them.
Didn't really hurt me to hard wire my 360 to it since I could just run the wire through the basement.
I have heard some folks dislike the router they provide though.

sig below:
-..Some say the price of holdin heat is often too high, you either be in a coffin or you be the new guy...

-A monkey is chased by a hyena and you cannot tell the laughter from the screams.

Yes, there's gas in the

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 06:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "it can be done and there is info out there about it but"
In response to Reply # 2

when u get the tv service the tv boxes are assigned certain ip's and there the QoS for them is handled by the router. So if u just unhook the router they gave u and hook your own up it's not gonna work right with the tv service.

"An integrated cup of coffee isn't sufficient pay for four hundred years of slave labor." Malcolm X

cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Wed Feb-13-08 06:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I gave up for now."
In response to Reply # 0

For a while, I had my old Linksys router strung through the FiOS router. My 360 was able to pick up my Linksys that way. It was working fine wirelessly until I had a power outage that reset the Linksys router. I couldn't reset the Linksys router because, of course, if I unplug the FiOS router I have no net access. And I couldn't figure out another way to reset it. I was gonna reset it over my boy's place, but I haven't gotten around to it. I just hard-wire the connection for now.

I've read that some folks are able to use the original Xbox wireless router with the 360 and it works fine. Good luck trying to find one though. Not sure it's worth the trouble for a shot in the dark.

That FiOS router is not going to cooperate, though.

=============================
-sans sig

Paps Smear
Member since Aug 16th 2002
14217 posts
Thu Feb-14-08 07:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "This is what I did"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-14-08 07:01 AM by Paps Smear

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/Xbox_Live_360.htm

theres your answer, it works PERFECT.
all you gotta do is get into your router settings, to do that you go to http://192.168.1.1/
username is admin
password is password

maybe a 1 after password, not sure how they set your shit up but I believe its the same for all there routers, you can change it if you want to.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

Midnight Marauders 2005™ And I don't even stay up no more like that

I play the xbox instead of fuckin with dice - Gamertag: Innovator

SURA
Member since Mar 22nd 2004
2615 posts
Thu Feb-14-08 12:43 PM

7. "it works just fine NOW"
In response to Reply # 0

there was a issue with a previous firmware version but that has been resolved

FIRST
log in to your router. then click on the advanced tab across the top of the page. this will cause you to get a warning just click past it. then go into FIRMWARE UPGRADE if the current version doesn't end in 10.7 then force the upgrade(that will reboot the router and take 3-4 minutes)

SECOND
log back into the router. Then click on the wireless settings icon across the top. Then on the left hand side click on advance wireless options(settings). Now from that page the last option is labeled OTHER ADVANCED WIRELESS OPTIONS once again this will cause you to get a warning page just click past it. From this page change ONLY the transmission rate from 54 to AUTO then click apply and give it 30 seconds to apply settings

LASTLY

Run back through the wireless set-up on the 360 be sure to test media then retest Xbox live. This Should solve any issue. If for some reason it doesn't or you need assistance in doing any of this call 1-888-553-1555 and ask for one my colleagues on the TIER 2 tech support team

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Feb-14-08 01:34 PM

8. "RE: it works just fine NOW"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks man. Gonna try this when I get home. I tried checking for firmware updates but it just kept saying "checking..." or whatever but wasnt doing anything. Do you work for Verizon?

SURA
2615 posts
Thu Feb-14-08 07:57 PM

9. "yes I am FIOS support"
In response to Reply # 8

and OH yeah the firmware update page wont auto refresh..once you hit check now give it 30 seconds then F5 and then once it detects a new version hit the force upgrade button...will take a couple minutes to complete from there

FLUIDJ
44632 posts
Fri Feb-15-08 12:39 PM

10. "fam!! NOW help me get my Windows Home Server to get"
In response to Reply # 9

past the PnP issues preventing me from having remote server access.

sig below:

Yes, there's gas in the

SURA
2615 posts
Sat Feb-16-08 10:47 PM

12. "you on your own for that one player"
In response to Reply # 10

not really a service issue

cskncream
Member since Oct 19th 2004
1648 posts
Fri Feb-15-08 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "On the real... THANKS!!"
In response to Reply # 7

I was on the phone with FiOS support for a couple of days when I first got my hookup (August or so) and I couldn't get this to work for anything.

It works great now.

=============================
-sans sig

Lobby High-Tech topic #138511 Previous topic | Next topic