Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2806050

Subject: "The NCAA Men's Basketball Coaching Carousel" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Mar-25-24 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The NCAA Men's Basketball Coaching Carousel"

Ohio State got things started by siding with Jake Diebler. Unlike the Rodney Terry situation, this was a team that looked *appalling* that instantly improved the second Diebler took over. They've jumped over twenty spots in KenPom in a little over a month-- hard to do this time of year. Very good low-risk in-house hire. I like it.

DePaul then hires Chris Holtmann. Look, the Ohio State tenure ended disastrously, there's no question... but DePaul hasn't hired a coach with this much prior success in a quarter century. It's DePaul, after all. It's also the lowest risk scenario imaginable, because if Holtmann can consistently make them, like, a 5 or 6 win team in conference? It'd be seen as a huge success, lol. So I'm more than fine with this hire.

Michigan hilariously steals Dusty May from Louisville. Apparently May's agent had told Louisville early that afternoon he was coming... and then Michigan signed him later that day, lmao. On one hand, May's had four mediocre seasons, one terrific season, and one underwhelming-but-still-good season, and that's not exactly a *dynamite* resume given what he's getting paid... but on the other hand, FAU has, like, zero resources. It's been called one of the hardest jobs at its conference level... and he built them up and took them to the Final Four. It's hard answering the question "is he good without this particular crew?"... but then again, you could've said the same for Otz before he left South Dakota State, and at Iowa State, he's proven to be one of the best coaches in the country. Some risk here, but tremendous upside.

Stanford hires Kyle Smith from Washington State. Tremendous hire. Maybe the best of the cycle so far. He'd have made my short list for coach of the year this year-- it's *impossible* to win at Washington State unless you're a savant. He won at Columbia, he won at San Francisco, he won at Washington State. Stanford can be a tricky place to win consistently to some extent, but Haase had no trouble attracting talent-- he just couldn't coach. Smith can coach. A+ move.

Washington brings in Danny Sprinkle from Utah State. Another savant-- won at Montana State, immediately won at Utah State. Major upgrade over Hopkins. Will be tough moving to the Big Ten, but if you're going to enter a new conference, do so with a guy who's won at multiple places. Not quite the slam dunk that Smith is imo-- but if this ends up working out even better than Smith, I wouldn't be surprised.

Vanderbilt just hired Mark Byington on the heels of James Madison getting smoked yesterday. Still, another guy who won at two different spots in very real ways. Vanderbilt is a tough gig-- always feels like they just can't get talent to go there-- but if anyone can do the most with the least, Byington's gotta be on that list. Maybe not the "sexiest" hire of the cycle, but feels like a good one all the same.

Finally, West Virginia hires Darian DeVries from Drake. Look, getting Drake to hire than a 12 seed twice is pretty wild, so the guy can clearly coach. I find the fit interesting given that he's an Iowa-area guy through and through. It's also still a program with Bob Huggins's shadow looming over it. Less immediately optimistic about this hire solely due to fit... but hey, hard to deny what he did at Drake. It could definitely still work out.

Big jobs still open: Louisville is the big domino, then Oklahoma State. SMU also could be a really big one, given that they're apparently looking to spend major money entering the ACC and have been approaching some surprisingly big names to try to take this job. Other jobs that could still open up: places like UCF, Arizona State, USC. Rumors have swirled around Iowa. Maybe even somewhere like Villanova could choose to move on? Maybe a couple big retirements could happen? We'll see!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The NCAA Men's Basketball Coaching Carousel [View all] , Frank Longo, Mon Mar-25-24 01:18 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
re:
Mar 25th 2024
RE: re:
Mar 25th 2024
SPRINKLE ME MAYNE!!!
Mar 25th 2024
sidenote: we stole WSU's AD. they down bad bad.
Mar 29th 2024
Louisville hires Charleston's Kelsey
Mar 27th 2024
He's better than Richard Pitino, imo.
Mar 28th 2024
i dont think this is likely
Mar 28th 2024
somebody tell Bob Huggins
Mar 28th 2024
Chris Mack to Charleston
Mar 30th 2024
      Kelsey was an assistant to Mack.
Mar 30th 2024
Calarkansas
Apr 07th 2024
ayo thats crazy lmao
Apr 07th 2024
It’s crazy out here
Apr 07th 2024
amazing
Apr 07th 2024
correct me if i'm talking outta my ass (cuz i might be, i don't know)
Apr 07th 2024
Cal just got bored, lazy and unfireable at UK
Apr 07th 2024
Thanks.
Apr 08th 2024
All I'll add is this, re: NIL:
Apr 08th 2024
huh? Cal just sucks at in game adjustments
Apr 08th 2024
Adou entering the portal makes sense now
Apr 08th 2024
TBH this news makes me kinda wish we waited to hire Diebler LOL
Apr 08th 2024
Diebler outcoached a guy in the NCAA final..that makes me happy
Apr 08th 2024
he sucks
Apr 08th 2024
all i want is a sweet 16, the bar is so low (right now)
Apr 08th 2024
      Same. Our bar is broken.
Apr 08th 2024
I just realized y’all didn’t hire JON Diebler lol
Apr 08th 2024
Most TOSU fans wanted Dusty May or Scott Drew / Nate Oats **
Apr 08th 2024
Buckeyes land 5* Aaron Bradshaw from Kentucky (transfer portal)
Apr 15th 2024
Kentucky set to hire former player / current BYU coach Mark Pope
Apr 12th 2024
Boosters bout to buy him some teams for 2-3 years I guess
Apr 12th 2024
I think the fanbase has scared the shit out of other coaches lol
Apr 12th 2024
i got a natural dislike for this dude. easier to dislike Kentucky now.
Apr 12th 2024
What's the beef? lol
Apr 14th 2024
      former UW player, transferred to UK
Apr 14th 2024
underwhelming? Yeah. But >>> stronger resume than Scheyer or Hubert
Apr 12th 2024
No question this is true. He's genuinely a terrific coach.
Apr 13th 2024
RE: underwhelming? Yeah. But >>> stronger resume than Scheyer or Hubert...
Apr 15th 2024
good reminder to every program
Apr 12th 2024
he's winning the battle so far
Apr 14th 2024
      Lol, I noticed that too...
Apr 14th 2024
      he aint winning shit.. lol
Apr 15th 2024

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2806050 Previous topic | Next topic