Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2793887

Subject: "Friday Fun Post...Love & Hate in Sports" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Friday Fun Post...Love & Hate in Sports"

The little lady's grandmother passed away recently. She grew up in Michigan, outside of Detroit and then moved & settled in NW Ohio where she raised her family. She was a hardcore sports fan, for the Tigers, Lions, Pistons & Wolverines.

All the grandkids decided to put a picture of them in the casket with her. The lady pulled a handful of pics of us and asked me to go thru them with her. She wanted to pick a good one.

We had a couple of us dressed up at weddings and stuff. But one of he best ones was us at a football watch party. She had on a Michigan t-shirt and I had on an Ohio State t-shirt. It's just a good pic of both of us and she agreed.

But then she had second thoughts.

"I don't think I want my grandmother to spend eternity with any Ohio State gear that close to her."

That's a level of hate that I wasn't ready for.

For the love portion...I'm thinking about sports tributes. When the MLB retired Jackie Robinson's number on every team, I thought that was a dope move.

The lady's brother-in-law taught at a small high school for 25+ years. At various times, he coached basketball, volleyball and even served as the schools AD. In the gym, when he would watch games, he would never sit in the bleachers with everyone else. He had a spot near the corner of the baseline and sideline where he would watch. You could go over and talk to him about the game. But he never sat in the bleachers to watch.

He passed away unexpectedly a while back. The school got a pair of his shoes and traced his footprints in that spot where he always stood. And they etched his name on the floor. I thought that was a perfect tribute to him.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Friday Fun Post...Love & Hate in Sports [View all] , Marbles, Fri Jun-16-23 10:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Love - Both of my brothers a die hard Steeler fans
Jun 16th 2023
This is exactly what I'm talking about...
Jun 16th 2023
I've mentioned this before...
Jun 16th 2023
I generally hate all Boston sports teams…
Jun 16th 2023
RE: I generally hate all Boston sports teams…
Jun 16th 2023
Co-sign on the Boston hate...
Jun 23rd 2023
I've let go of active fandom in a few sports, but not the hating
Jun 16th 2023
I hate all things Boston
Jun 19th 2023
I hate Duke too
Jun 23rd 2023
RE: I hate all things Boston
Jun 23rd 2023
Best thing about Boston is its close to the ocean