Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2744778

Subject: "Rest in Peace to JR Richards" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50738 posts
Thu Aug-05-21 08:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rest in Peace to JR Richards"

https://sports.yahoo.com/legendary-astros-pitcher-jr-richard-dies-at-71-190357958.html

One of my all time faves...

He was the God of Fire, hitting triple digits with his fastball but had a sider that was unhittable.

This magic right here was essentially his swan song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mELid9505o

two weeks later, he fell out on the mound during a training session.

I remember SI had a feature on this and basically they blamed coke and 'too much rich food' with a picture of Richards eating ribs. What they left out is that he had been complaining of a dead arm and the Astros ignored him.

Wikipedia receipts: "A massive blockage in his right carotid artery necessitated emergency surgery that evening. An examination by neurologist William S. Fields showed that Richard was still experiencing weakness in his extremities and on the left side of his face. He also had blurred vision through his left eye. A CAT scan of Richard's brain later showed that Richard had experienced three separate strokes from the different obstructions in his arterial system. Furthermore, the arteries in his right arm were still obstructed. Later examinations showed that Richard was suffering from extensive arterial thoracic outlet syndrome. While pitching, his clavicle and first rib pinched his subclavian artery. As a result of this problem, Richard would feel normal for the first few innings of the game but after putting repeated pressure on his subclavian artery, his arm would start to ache in pain and eventually start to feel "heavy". His wife at the time, Carolyn, told reporters, "It took death, or nearly death, to get an apology. They should have believed him." Richard underwent rehabilitation and missed the rest of the season."

He never pitched in the majors again, despite recovering.

He went through some tough times, money scams, etc...but he remains an OG OG, THE ace on a pitching staff that featured PRIME Nolan Ryan.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Rest in Peace to JR Richards [View all] , Castro, Thu Aug-05-21 08:08 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks for sharing his story.
Aug 05th 2021
I remember just a bit of his career. He was a beast.
Aug 06th 2021
Respect due.
Aug 06th 2021
One of my pop’s favorite guys…respect
Aug 06th 2021
I pitched for my little league squad, the Astros....
Aug 06th 2021

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2744778 Previous topic | Next topic