Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2735386

Subject: "I disagree with a lot of this." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I disagree with a lot of this."
In response to In response to 9

>All of them want to shine and be the guy immediately.

I mean, this definitely isn't true. Your team is a great example of that. If Fatts Russell wanted to be The Guy, he'd have stayed in Rhode Island, and if Qudus Wahab wanted to be The Guy, he'd have stayed in Georgetown. Instead, they'd rather be part of a team that has a better shot to win more instead of getting higher individual stats. They're sacrificing being The Guy in hopes that they can prove they can be A Winner instead.

Nearly every mid-major who transfers to a high-major isn't going to be The Guy. Plenty of mid-majors who transfers to other mid-majors aren't going to be The Guy. There are certainly a good numbers of kids who want to be The Guy and transfer to a different situation... but think of the thousands of kids over the last few decades who came into school with big expectations, didn't transfer, and got buried on a bench. Everyone wants to say "tough it out! be a man about this!"... but for every kid we see tough it out through early struggles and become The Guy, we've seen a dozen others become Nobody. And since they aren't getting paid to be a Nobody, I don't blame a single one of them for pursuing a fresh start.

And yeah, some of them are just selfish asshole kids transferring out of entitlement. But I think it's incredibly unfair to characterize all of them that way. They're all just 19-21 year olds trying to figure out what's best for their future. If they convince themselves that there's a better opportunity elsewhere (or are lured away by a charismatic coach at a different university), I don't begrudge them that decision at all.

If
>it’s not coming quick enough, they’re out and this free
>COVID year made their decisions to transfer easier.

It's worth noting that this transfer market is affected not just by the free COVID year, but almost certainly by COVID itself and how it affected the season. It's a lot easier to want to stay at a university if you feel a sense of community there, build friendships, a relationship with the campus, etc... but an incredibly high number of underclassmen lost a whole year of that. That's got to make the decision to transfer way easier.

>Entitled
>generation of kids.

... this feels very Old Man Yells At Cloud, lol. Like, if you work at a job you hate, and someone else is offering you a more enticing job, and you change to the better job... does that make you entitled for trying to better your position? Should you have just stayed at your shitty job to try to make the best of it out of loyalty because they offered you a job in the first place? Of course not. *And these kids aren't even getting paid,* lol.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't entitled asshole kids with entitled asshole families. There are entitled assholes of all ages in this world. But we're painting the thousands of kids in the transfer portal all as entitled? Nah. I vehemently disagree with this.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

College Basketball transfer portal is ruining the game [View all] , PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Apr-12-21 08:49 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
It's the new normal, but it's a good thing for now.
Apr 13th 2021
I think there’s a “all the cool kids are doing it” element right n...
Apr 13th 2021
its a little OD rn for me and takes away from it
Apr 13th 2021
1. Its the wild wild west. 2. Its really hurt the high school senior
Apr 21st 2021
HS kids are scuffling like hell to find anything at the next level
Apr 21st 2021
      most of the players in the portal suck lol.
Apr 22nd 2021
           I wouldn't say most suck
Apr 22nd 2021
           I agree with all of this
Apr 23rd 2021

Michigan's PG led the country in shots last year
Apr 24th 2021
                Holtmann is using it to plug in the dike with his finger
Apr 24th 2021
                I don't think all want to shine
Apr 27th 2021
           I more or less agree.
Apr 22nd 2021
Syracuse WBB whole team is in the portal lol. i'd hate to coach rn
Apr 24th 2021
I’d like to see a state/geography breakdown on this
Apr 24th 2021
Caleb Love to Michigan?
Apr 07th 2023
They dropped the biggest bag.
Apr 07th 2023
U of Washington whole team in the portal damn near.
Apr 07th 2023
They need to add some rules back to this shit
Apr 07th 2023
NILs baby.
Apr 07th 2023
Intellectually I can’t defend it, BUT bring back sitting a yr
Apr 07th 2023
They already have.
Apr 07th 2023
Caleb decommits from Michigan...
May 17th 2023
I wonder why. That NIL bag wasn't big enough??
May 17th 2023
      Sounds like academics
May 17th 2023
           Definitely academics. Not the first time Michigan's dealt with this.
May 17th 2023
                serious question: why is he not in the draft?
May 18th 2023
                     No one on Earth thinks Love was personally successful last year, lol.
May 18th 2023
Cuse is getting some dogs, so I love it now lol
May 18th 2023

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2735386 Previous topic | Next topic