Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2716243

Subject: "Spitball a January-May High School Sports Schedule" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Jul-09-20 07:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spitball a January-May High School Sports Schedule"

I'm not in the decision-making loop for my track coaching job, but I do have my ear to the ground because what the hell else am I going to do right? In any case, we are at the "rumors" stage where people more important than me are hearing the possibilities that people more important than them are discussing and beginning to strategize around those second-hand details. Then they email me and ask me for my third-hand thoughts. And now I'm asking you.

So here's what I was pitched yesterday. It's not a plan that any school system or athletic conference has. It's just a plan based on a rumor.

The rumor is that we won't be permitted to begin any high school athletic competitions until January 1st. The present assumption is that practice will be allowed.

The plan is then to shove all three seasons into the remaining January-through-May of the school year. Because it's just a rumor, there's no hard dates. But basically, they want the "winter" season to last January through mid-February; the "fall" season to last mid/late-February through beginning of April; the "spring" season to last beginning of April through mid/end-May.

Assume the January-through-May plan happens whether you like it or not. Is three-seasons-in-five-months the best answer? Should we just cancel fall and then start mid-stream in January?

Obviously, it impacts different sports in different ways so don't be afraid to be a partisan if you answer here. I'm a track and cross country coach, which means I don't really care about football and soccer except insofar as they provide track athletes. If you've got a good plan for basketball players but haven't really thought through how that impacts golf or baseball, who cares? Name it anyhow.

For whatever it's worth, the person who sent me this plan/rumor wanted to remove cross country from the "fall" season of mid-Feb to early-April and just run it concurrently with track in the "spring" of early-April through mid/late-May, mixing an abbreviated cross country schedule and championship meet amongst standard, flat track meets.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Spitball a January-May High School Sports Schedule [View all] , Walleye, Thu Jul-09-20 07:30 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
that seems..extremely difficult
Jul 09th 2020
Yeah, that would make a ton of sense
Jul 09th 2020
      we live in a shit hole country
Jul 09th 2020

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2716243 Previous topic | Next topic