Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712174

Subject: "Well, ok. Here goes." Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43753 posts
Fri Feb-14-20 05:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Well, ok. Here goes."
In response to In response to 0

I don't really remember when I first heard the name Kobe Bryant, but it was obviously inescapable in Los Angeles in 1996.

Right now, weeks later, you're still hearing tributes on the radio, seeing RIP KOBE on every city bus, and the numbers 8, 24, and 2 everywhere you go in LA. Post Michael Jackson, I didn't think there'd be a bigger celebrity death ever. This is the one. It coming out of nowhere, in such strange circumstances, while he was still so visible in the city is just devastating.

Like most, I've spent a lot of time watching Kobe highlights. I did that a lot before all this, but I've watched things I'd forgotten about.

So, in no order, here are just some memories I have of his career that make me smile every time:

1. The first game after the Pau trade was something. I remember where I was when I read about it on here (rjc27 where you at), and knowing it'd change the team in a huge way. But there were 2 moments in the trade that I laugh at - the first was an interview where the trade was official, but Pau hadn't yet suited up. Kobe was trying SO hard to hide his elation. He was trying to hide the smile. The other was the first game Pau played and Kobe screamed, "Si, si me gusta!!!"

Hiding the smiles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-_x_AshiwY
Si Si Me Gusta: https://youtu.be/BYJeYtsUcco?t=110

2. Lakers-Phoenix playoff series, 2006. Kobe was on another level that year but nobody thought they could beat the Suns. We know what happened, but in Game 4 - I was in a packed living room and we must have watched that ending 50 times. This is pre Youtube so I think all I had was the linear TV replays and then downloadable video files on LakersGround.net. The finish to that game is one of my most cherished Laker memories, despite them losing the series, oddly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZnF87Iy84

3. 2008 Olympics where Kobe took over on a team full of talent but who'd had the "Redeem Team" badge on them and the Lebrons, Melos, CP3, Deron Williams, etc were perhaps a little too green and hadn't really matured to the place they would eventually get to - and Kobe just said fuck it I'm not losing. That Spain team was really damn good, and the US obviously should have won but it was incredible to see Kobe, fresh off a brutal finals loss, take over.

4. AMENESTY THAT - https://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/24/kobe-bryant-highlights-los-angeles-lakers-dallas-mavericks/1943373/

5. The painful year of the first season post Shaq and Kobe trying to become a leader. It was so dreadful to watch, but I remember thinking he was trying so hard and it was hilarious.

6. All the fucking Okayplayer posts about him. The heated debates. Willie Winguy. Who amongst you, etc? I mean - what a time that was. It was so fun. It was as if he knew he had people arguing on the internet about him and he gave each side ammo to keep going. Hilarious.

7. The 81 point game and the last game were great but I thought his best game in the regular season ever was the 62 points in 3 quarters against the Mavs. Just an unreal performance.

I dunno man, I could keep going but this one still hurts bad. I went to the Lakers/Spurs game last week and it's just weird all around. It still doesnt feel real and I can't imagine what people who actually knew him feel right now.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Can we do a Kobe Memorial post? [View all] , Cold Truth, Thu Feb-13-20 09:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
MVPau finally speaks.
Feb 13th 2020
RE: Can we do a Kobe Memorial post?
Feb 14th 2020
man, of all the Kobe-related things I'll remember
Feb 16th 2020
      That final game is much more special in light of his death
Feb 16th 2020
The man created book series.
Feb 18th 2020
Absolutely incredible, POWERFUL memorial.
Feb 24th 2020
I saw bits and pieces, technical difficulties broke in several times
Feb 24th 2020
Man, listen... I'm watching a 7 minute clip on ESPN right now.
Feb 24th 2020
Jordan talking about Kobe and being the best big brother is... ahhhhh!
Feb 24th 2020
Is someone cutting onions?
Feb 24th 2020
I hate this. all of it. this is some bullshit.
Feb 24th 2020
when Vanessa said “we’re still the best team” I just lost it
Feb 24th 2020
Cheese Eyes conceding that he's The Meme was hilarious
Feb 26th 2020
Lakers to honor Kobe Bryant with 'Black Mamba' jerseys...
Aug 24th 2020
Vanessa’s IG post was crushing
Aug 24th 2020
Jonathan Abrams Honors the 10-Year Anniversary of Kobe’s Final Champio...
Sep 22nd 2020
Vanessa Bryant being sued by her mother...
Dec 18th 2020
probably other greedy relatives behind the scenes pushing this
Dec 18th 2020
breh, she want backpay...
Dec 18th 2020
      there's probably a lot more to this story than we'll ever know
Dec 18th 2020
to me, the C word is reserved for especially severe cases. Like this one...
Dec 18th 2020
it be ya own kind...
Dec 18th 2020
      they probably did, and I just missed it...
Dec 18th 2020

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712174 Previous topic | Next topic