Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2710616

Subject: "Blacks COULD start their own successful football league " Previous topic | Next topic
Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6389 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blacks COULD start their own successful football league "
Tue Jan-14-20 01:06 PM by Beamer6178

They WON'T, because Black economic self-determination is more a series of sprinklers or at best a few faucets rather than a power washer hose, but it is completely feasible as a proposition.

PLAYERS/TALENT
They say 70% of the league is black, maybe more. Let's say 75% is black, if you fill 53 man rosters with those numbers you have 24 teams. These are not scabs, these are STUDS.

OWNERSHIP
The valuation won't start off as high, so billion + purchases wouldn't be needed from the outset, but there are enough wealthy black people for sole ownership or partnered ownership of 24 teams so that no white owner would be necessary, though I can imagine some wishing to get in on the game. Jay Z could put away the knee pads and do the right thing.

The biggest hurdles would be stadiums and licensing deals, which could be helped in large part by HBCUs (remember Jemele's proposition?)

COLLEGES
If all black football players only went to HBCUs, the "powerhouses" would be served up on platters. I don't know how many HBCUs there are nationwide, but the concentrated amount of talent would be ridiculous. They could start on cable channels (Byron Allen owns a grip of stations btw), but in time, the superior product would get more money, which in turn schools could use to revamp their facilities. There would need to be some protective funds to ensure that athletes still had access to top of the line sports health and nutrition. In turn, until the leagues were able to generate new stadium level funds, they could redevelop and use the HBCU stadiums to play the games in.

AUDIENCE
Fans of all races would likely come out to see a superior product. Merchandise would sell of the racks and big athletic companies would want deals.

COACHES
Nuff said.

KAEP
See above.

FUTURE GROWTH
The league doesn't ever have to be exclusively black. White players and coaches could participate. What would be different is that those with ACTUAL power would be exercising it. Fuck the shield, fuck those crotchety crocks, it's the ON FIELD ACTION that drives it all. That there is more than a legislative veto overriding majority of black talent on the field that has little to no power illustrates the pervasiveness of Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (look it up).

Contracts could be more humane and provide benefits in a much more meaningful way than is currently set up. NFL's Antitrust exemption is on shaky ass ground as it is. I don't see that being a bar to this new league, especially since it is illegal to enforce personal service contracts and since NFL contracts are not guaranteed

Like I said, THEY WON'T. But they could. For anyone who says it won't work, continue being frustrated with qualified black men having to beg for acceptance or validation in order to lead, and black men having a conscience about the communities and nation in which they live where in many circumstances, but for (and sometimes not even that) being a football player, they'd be a statistic. Just wait for well intentioned white billionaires to do the right thing, since they're known for that.

Discuss.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Blacks COULD start their own successful football league [View all] , Beamer6178, Tue Jan-14-20 12:53 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
so.....
Jan 14th 2020
Oh I know the shit isn't airtight, but starting the convo
Jan 14th 2020
I feel like ownership is the main component and we missed out..
Jan 15th 2020

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2710616 Previous topic | Next topic