Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2707171

Subject: "Bill Russell accepts Hall of Fame ring 44 years after induction" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Nov-15-19 04:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bill Russell accepts Hall of Fame ring 44 years after induction"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28088224/bill-russell-accepts-hall-fame-ring-44-years-induction

Bill Russell accepts Hall of Fame ring 44 years after induction
play

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Bill Russell says he's finally ready to be a Hall of Famer.

The 11-time NBA champion, five-time MVP, Olympic gold medalist and two-time NCAA champ said on Twitter on Friday that he was presented with his Hall of Fame ring in a private ceremony that came four decades after he was first selected for the shrine at Springfield, Massachusetts.

Russell didn't attend his induction ceremony in 1975. He says he didn't deserve to be the first black player inducted. He tweeted that "I felt others before me should have that honor."

TheBillRussell

@RealBillRussell
In a private ceremony w/my wife & close friends A.Mourning @AnnMeyers @billwalton & others I accepted my #HOF ring. In ‘75 I refused being the 1st black player to go into the @Hoophall I felt others before me should have that honor. Good to see progress; ChuckCooperHOF19 @NBA

View image on Twitter
9:58 AM - Nov 15, 2019

His tweet mentions Chuck Cooper, who in 1950 was the first African American player drafted by the NBA and who was inducted this year.

Russell says the ceremony was attended by his wife, along with close friends and Hall of Famers Bill Walton, Ann Meyers and Alonzo Mourning.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Bill Russell accepts Hall of Fame ring 44 years after induction [View all] , ThaTruth, Fri Nov-15-19 04:46 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
That's good news. Glad that's how this has ended up.
Nov 15th 2019
respect due.
Nov 15th 2019

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2707171 Previous topic | Next topic