Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2705486

Subject: "Jimmy Butler talks relationship with Brett Brown" Previous topic | Next topic
bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Mar-12-20 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
36. "Jimmy Butler talks relationship with Brett Brown"
In response to In response to 0

Because I genuinely wanted to know exactly why he left

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/jimmy-butler-brett-brown-sixers-heat-playoffs-jj-redick-podcast

After teasing for months that the reason he didn’t re-sign with the Sixers would come out, Jimmy Butler didn’t hold back on JJ Redick’s podcast.

Butler, who left via a sign-and-trade with the Heat this past summer, sipped on wine with his former teammate as the two discussed a variety of topics.

The most interesting was Butler's time with the Sixers and why it didn't work out. The biggest factor for Butler’s departure seemed to be a rocky relationship with Brett Brown.

Hell yeah it was difficult,” Butler said of last season. “It was so different. On any given day, me as a person, as a player, I didn’t know who the f--- was in charge. I think that was the biggest thing. I didn’t know what the f--- to expect whenever I’d go into the gym, whenever I’m going to the game. … I think I was lost as the next motherf---er.

Butler forced a trade out of Minnesota that landed him in Philadelphia. The offensive fit was clunky from the start and was never truly resolved. Butler described a meeting early on with Brown, Redick, Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons that set a bad tone for Butler’s tenure.

“And that f---ing meeting,” Butler said to Redick.

“We’re all sitting in there and nothing got accomplished at all. I told you this as I walked: ‘JJ, why would I ever go back in there again?’ Nothing is getting accomplished. Nobody’s saying nothing to anybody and we’re just sitting in here watching film and you can literally hear the thing just clicking, and we’re all just looking around.”

That’s what led to the infamous film session in Portland last season where Butler reportedly “aggressively challenged” Brown. Turns out, that meeting wasn’t nearly as confrontational as it was portrayed. Both former Sixers said it was a normal team conversation about pick-and-rolls.

As Redick talked about his relationship with Brown — which he’s mentioned as being great — Butler continued to go in on his former coach.

During the playoff series against the Raptors, Brown made Butler the team’s primary ball handler instead of Simmons. It apparently didn’t sit well with Butler, who’s flourished with the ball in his hands in Miami and at other stops, that the offense had changed so drastically.

“I would say was professional, but to this day, I don’t think that was fair to switch over like that,” Butler said. “Even though we played great basketball like that, I don’t think it was fair because the entire year, Ben had the ball. So you mean to tell me, in one playoff series, you just switch it up like that? I would be — like was — I would feel a type of way. I would think that it’s f---ed up to play one way the entire year and then be like, ‘You know what, boom, this is how we’re going to do it.’”

But what happened between Kawhi Leonard’s Game 7 shot and Butler being sent to Miami?

The details are a little unclear, but it seemed like Butler didn’t like what was said to him when discussions of him returning to Philly occured.

A main reason I didn’t go back was because somebody asked, ‘Can you control him?’ Like, ‘Can you control Jimmy? Because if you can control Jimmy, we would think about having him back.’ I was like, you don’t got to worry about it. S---, ain’t nobody f---ing control me. For one, I ain’t just out there doing no bulls---, but the fact that you’re trying to control a grown man, … nah, I’m cool. Because I don’t do anything that’s just drastically f---ing stupidly crazy. I do not do that. So don’t come at me with the, ‘let me try and control him.’ You good. Don’t even worry about it. … If that’s what y’all are worried about, then good luck to y’all.

Butler didn’t reveal who this conversation was with and who asked if they could “control him.”

With 18 games left for the Sixers in the regular season, they currently sit in sixth and just a half a game behind the Pacers for fifth. If they were to get into the fifth or fourth position, there’s a strong chance they’d take on the Heat in the first round.

+1, GR3 recently made a similar statement about being unsure of his role on the team

FIYAH THIS MFer!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Broad Street Bullies: Your 2019-2020 Sixers [View all] , bshelly, Thu Oct-24-19 06:51 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
WE AIN'T NEVA SCURRED (c) Bonecrusher
Oct 24th 2019
Jo already out
Oct 26th 2019
Jo can miss all the October he wants
Oct 26th 2019
we can win without embiid
Oct 27th 2019
Year 2, still no Zhaire Smith
Oct 28th 2019
Thuybulle is THAT BOL!!!
Oct 31st 2019
I mean we knew he was raw coming out of college
Nov 02nd 2019
Welcome to the league Zhaire Smith
Jan 26th 2020
saw Ingles kind of punkin a couple of the broad street broads
Nov 07th 2019
Simmons out vs DEN
Nov 08th 2019
FIRE BRETT BROWN!!!
Dec 06th 2019
TURNOVERS!!!
Dec 13th 2019
Ok player
Dec 13th 2019
      Our best play, game on the line, final possession...
Dec 19th 2019
      that’s bens fault
Dec 19th 2019
      That’s a good shot
Dec 19th 2019
      What are Brett Brown’s strengths
Dec 20th 2019
           cool list
Dec 30th 2019
You win. I’m on board.
Jan 31st 2020
RE: Broad Street Bullies: Your 2019-2020 Sixers
Dec 20th 2019
somewhere Markelle Fultz is having the last laugh
Dec 28th 2019
That ending was crazy
Dec 29th 2019
Ben’s team.
Jan 18th 2020
RE: Ben’s team.
Jan 26th 2020
Stop
Jan 26th 2020
Doesn't matter if he can't play.
Jan 26th 2020
Only 3 players avg; +16pts, +7rebs and +8asts per game
Jan 31st 2020
fire Brett Brown
Jan 31st 2020
Firing BB won't magically save this team, but it's a step in the right d...
Jan 31st 2020
you know what, this team stinks
Feb 04th 2020
Co-sign. Fuck these dudes
Feb 04th 2020
Ben Simmons is the Sixers best player
Feb 09th 2020
Oh...we’re taunting fans now!?
Feb 10th 2020
...and now we’re trolling...WTF
Feb 11th 2020
We've beaten; LAL, LAC, MIL, BOS & TOR at home