Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700430

Subject: "Andrade vs Sulecki | 6.29.| DAZN, Canelo protection & other boxing stuff" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Fri Jun-28-19 05:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Andrade vs Sulecki | 6.29.| DAZN, Canelo protection & other boxing stuff"
Fri Jun-28-19 05:37 AM by Boogie Stimuli

Gold medalist Demetrius Andrade vs Maceij Sulecki is of note to me b/c Sulecki gave Daniel Jacobs a really tough fight not very long ago. A flash knockdown in the 12 rd saved that fight for Jacobs, as he was very close to possibly losing a decision in a razor-close fight.
Andrade's been through some odd promotional issues that kept him inactive for a couple of years, but he's been really active since signing with DAZN (this is his 3rd fight in 8 months). He now has a major world title in a weight division where Canelo Alvarez CLAIMS to want to be undisputed. More on that in a second. Had Billy Joe Saunders not popped for PED's, that would've been the best name on Andrade's resume and he would've gotten his current belt out of the fight. Saunders was stripped and Andrade won the vacant belt against Walter Kautondokwa. Saunders turned down the Andrade fight again after his PED ban was lifted, opting to move up in weight rather than face Andrade to recapture that title. Some accuse Andrade of being boring, and as a hardcore, I'm always excited by his fights. It's not like he even moves around the ring enough to be accused of "running" or anything. He stands in front of his opponents quite a bit. I enjoy hi technical prowess, the way he sets up punches, his shot selection, and how he finds a way to do everything necessary in the ring even when it doesn't technically look like he will. I know *I'll* enjoy the fight/performance. Hopefully others do too.

Joseph Parker is also on the card after taking time to rebuild following his first 2 losses to Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte. He's fighting the damn near legendary journeyman Alex Leapai. Joseph should win, but Alex's come-forward style should also make it exciting.

Now, the WBC is trippin with regard to Canelo. They created a title called the "Franchise Champion" for him and named Jermall Charlo the full champion. Their rules state that Charlo is the champion, but Canelo can still be presented as the champion as well, as long as he does 2 community service events for them per year. WHAT? Charlo has been waiting to get his mandatory shot at the WBC champion since GGG had the belt. Both GGG and Canelo never fought the guy. The WBC just set it up where people can say Charlo never fought the real champion even though that's no fault of his own. He wanted the fight and STILL wants the fight. Being made champion this way isn't fair to him. They also just set it up to where Canelo can hide behind Charlo. Andrade could fight Charlo for the WBC, and even if he won, Canelo would still be "champion."

On top of avoiding Charlo, Canelo claims to want to be undisputed at middleweight. He now has 3 of the 4 titles he needs. Andrade has the other. Canelo told GGG to fight Andrade for the belt if GGG wants the 3rd fight with him. GGG turned the Andrade fight down when it was offered to him by DAZN. Andrade's been calling the both out relentlessly as they all fight on the same network now. GGG and Canelo both dodge the same kinds of opponents. This is why I consider neither of them elite. The elite guys are willing to fight anyone. Ali and Hagler were elite. They never ducked any smoke from anyone. If people said a guy was the best, they wanted to fight him. Claressa Shields is elite. Wilder and Fury are elite. They don't duck any smoke.

Over on Showtime this weekend, Jermall Charlo (the same one being ripped off by the WBC and Canelo) is fighting Brandon Adams, winner of "The Contender." Adamns' best weight seems to be 154, so this could be a short night or a long & grueling one for him. Erickson Lubin is also fighting on the card.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Andrade vs Sulecki | 6.29.| DAZN, Canelo protection & other boxing stuff [View all] , Boogie Stimuli, Fri Jun-28-19 05:23 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Forgot 1... Commey vs Beltran, Adames vs Day | ESPN, friday 6.28
Jun 28th 2019
Jermall Charlo on that shady belt issue (vid link)
Jun 28th 2019
naoya inoue placeholder
Jun 28th 2019
Can't WAIT for Inoue vs Donaire. Truly exciting matchup.
Jun 28th 2019
      Donaire been looking powerful since he's moved back down in weight
Jun 28th 2019
      Hell yeah, it's what makes the Inoue fight so intriguing.
Jun 28th 2019
      Just that Inoue hasn’t gotten a lot of pub here
Jun 29th 2019
           I just don't post about it here due to lack of interest...
Jun 29th 2019
Sheesh he made that look easy lol
Jun 29th 2019
Dude is masterful
Jun 29th 2019

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700430 Previous topic | Next topic