Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700236

Subject: "The whole thing was a ploy (My Rays stadium rant)..." Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "The whole thing was a ploy (My Rays stadium rant)..."
In response to In response to 0

I kinda get it. The city of St. Pete has the Rays by the nuts until 2027. They have to play all their home games there until that date unless St. Pete gives them permission otherwise.

But I think the Rays would be willing to stay in the area if they could move to Tampa (or maybe even closer to Tampa).

This next sentence I type is the most important point about the attendance problems with the Rays:

The biggest mistake they made was building the stadium so far away from the center of the population.

It's not that fans aren't interested. I believe were among the top teams in terms of TV viewership and I recently saw that Tampa/St Pete is like 11th in media market size.

It's not because the Trop is a bad stadium. I attended games in Miami when they were at Pro Player and that was just a miserable experience. There's also the issue of the unpredictable summer storms. You just can't play in an uncovered stadium in Florida. We know the Trop isn't fancy. But it's comfortable.

No one in Tampa is willing to make the drive to St. Pete for a weeknight game. The traffic plus the bridge limitations make it almost impossible. If you leave Tampa at 5PM, there's a chance that you may get to your seat by first pitch at 7:10. And that's maybe a 20 mile drive.

I work across the street from Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, roughly 4 miles from the bridge. I get off work at 5:30. Me & the lady tried to get to St. Pete on a weeknight, leaving straight from my office. We didn't even hit the the bridge until 6:30.

Locals love the Rays. But people in Tampa have mostly given up going to St Pete for weekday games. It's not worth the trouble. I believe that if they put the stadium in Tampa, they'd do much better. This is where the center of population is. St. Pete is surrounded by water & hard to get to.

If they don't get a new stadium in Tampa (or significantly closer to Tampa), they're gone in 2027. That's my prediction.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Tampreal Ex-Rays coming to MLB in 2024? (swipe) [View all] , Marauder21, Tue Jun-25-19 12:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I could see a move back to Montreal
Jun 26th 2019
This Deadspin article makes a bit more sense of it
Jun 27th 2019
They've given him two different buyouts that weren't expensive
Jun 27th 2019
People who've never lived or been to Tampa
Jun 27th 2019
You know? If we do anything late night in St. Pete, we spend the night.
Jun 27th 2019
      I've been good man, back in NC
Jul 05th 2019
what were they thinking when they got the team?
Jun 27th 2019
Deadspin also dove into this:
Jun 27th 2019
      This article really brought home the whole location thing
Jun 27th 2019
The fact that they can't even talk to other cities until 2027
Jun 27th 2019

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700236 Previous topic | Next topic