Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2435272

Subject: "nbpa announces "players choice" awards program." Previous topic | Next topic
dula dos pistolas
Member since Sep 12th 2006
3295 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"nbpa announces "players choice" awards program."
Wed Apr-08-15 05:50 PM by dula dos pistolas

NBPA launches annual award program voted on by players
Brian Windhorst, ESPN.com

The National Basketball Players Association has launched its own annual awards that will be voted on by players.

The program, which will feature anonymous voting by the players, was announced in a memo from union executive director Michele Roberts this week.

"Guys are going to be able to recognize the guys they play against every night and what they do for their franchises," LeBron James, who recently was elected as vice president of the union, said Wednesday.

The players-only awards, which will include a Most Valuable Player honor, will be announced to union members at the annual meeting in Las Vegas in July. USA Today first reported the awards after obtaining Roberts' memo.

Since 1981, the NBA's official annual awards are voted on by a panel of media members selected by the league and have a wide-ranging sponsorship from Kia. Those votes are all made public by the league after being tabulated by the accounting firm Ernst & Young.

Roberts implemented the new awards following several star players publicly calling for NBA players to have a say in high-profile awards.

"The players know each other inside and out," reigning MVP Kevin Durant said over All-Star Weekend. "The media isn't in the film room and goes for sexy names."

Stephen Curry, who is the favorite to win this year's MVP, later campaigned for players to have a portion of the vote in a national radio interview.

"This program was created at your request to recognize outstanding performance of your peers, on and off the court," Roberts wrote in the memo. "No one knows better than you what it takes to shine."

James, who has won four MVP Awards voted on by the media, said how the official voting is handled in the future should be discussed.

"It's a conversation we can have at a later date," James said. "The media has done a great job every single year picking the awards. But us players get to see the guys every single day, so it's a longer conversation."

James said that players can't vote for themselves for awards. But who would his vote be for MVP this year?

"Myself," James said.

___

low end crazy, eastside crazy, wild hunnids crazy, englewood crazy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

nbpa announces "players choice" awards program. [View all] , dula dos pistolas, Wed Apr-08-15 05:45 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
nice but I also see too much hating or playing favorites
Apr 08th 2015
I think this part would be easy.
Apr 08th 2015
how's that?
Apr 08th 2015
      agreed.
Apr 08th 2015
      That's irrelevant. There's one, basic question here:
Apr 12th 2015
           Precisely.
Apr 12th 2015
                as much as players? nah they dont.
Apr 12th 2015
                     LOL. You literally have no basis for that conclusion.
Apr 12th 2015
As opposed to voting by Journalists? Lulz.
Apr 12th 2015
AWESOME. I've been hoping for something like this for awhile.
Apr 08th 2015
damn roberts been clowning on the league since she took over
Apr 08th 2015
wall: nah i'm good
Apr 11th 2015
Bam. This is precisely why players need to fucking vote.
Apr 12th 2015
you honestly believe this?
Apr 16th 2015
      Doesn't matter. The writer is trying to shit on the IDEA.
Apr 16th 2015
Translation: I think Im better than Steph/Russ & em but none of my peers
Apr 12th 2015
another MVP award Kobe will struggle to win? I'm for it.
Apr 11th 2015
JJ Redick talked about this with Bill Simmons
Apr 12th 2015
not sure why they don't just do players + media for the regular mvp awar...
Apr 12th 2015
no 2016 awards? safe to say this was an L?
Jun 03rd 2016
I mean they gave the mvp to harden lol. Cancel the shit forever.
Jun 03rd 2016
      Lol
Jun 03rd 2016
      They could've just changed its name to the Hate on Steph Award
Jun 04th 2016
      lmao
Jun 04th 2016

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2435272 Previous topic | Next topic