Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2430444

Subject: "RIP Jack Haley...." Previous topic | Next topic
Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Jack Haley...."

didn't even know dude was sick....heart disease....

he was a pretty decent studio announcer...kind of got pushed aside after he communicated a potential Laker trade from a "source" that ended up not happening...

folks remember he was like Rodman's best friend on the Bulls....probably kept him in the league a couple of extra years..

the thing I remember was Haley was a walk on at UCLA, and through a strange set of circumstances all of the sudden ended up being our starting center going into a season.... We ended up in the NIT that year, and lost at home to UC Irvine (scotty brooks was on that team).... Anyway near the end of that game, Jack ended up getting ejected over some non-sense.. and I remember they showed him on the bench, and he looked into the camera and put his index finger and mouthed "Number 1" nodding his head in this real gooberish manner..... The shit was hilarious.... I was like No Jack...weren't not #1....we suck actually this year...

That image of him stayed in my head like forever...which I could get an avy of that..

RIP

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-former-bull-jack-haley-dies-of-heart-disease-20150317-story.html

Former Bulls forward Jack Haley, best known for his close friendship with Hall of Fame teammate Dennis Rodman, died Tuesday at 51..

“Jack was always a supportive and enthusiastic teammate,” Bulls executive John Paxson said in an email. “He didn’t play a lot of game minutes but practiced hard and always helped our team get better in those situations. Our condolences to his family.”

Bulls Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen tweeted: “Very sorry to hear my old teammate, Jack Haley, has passed away. Great guy who I stayed in touch with over the years. RIP.”

A member of the 1995-96 NBA champion Bulls, the 6-foot-10, 240-pound Haley was drafted in the fourth round (79th overall) out of UCLA by the Bulls in 1987. He played in Spain before joining the Bulls in 1988-89, appearing in 51 games. Haley played in 11 games for the Bulls in 1988 before moving on to the Nets.

The journeyman player also was a member of the Nets, Lakers and Spurs and rejoined the Bulls as a free agent in October of 1995.

The Bulls won an NBA record 72 games that season, but Haley, hobbled by tendinitis in his left knee, appeared in just one game, scoring five points in seven minutes.

“It felt good to finally get in a game,” Haley told the Tribune. “I was real excited and my adrenaline was pumping. I haven’t played in a year. I missed some easy shots. I guess I was aggressive. I took almost a shot per minute played.”

Haley also told the Tribune he considered himself much more than a babysitter for the adventuresome Rodman.

“I’ve felt it’s important to be a part of the greatest team in history and to get out and show people I’m not Dennis’ babysitter,” Haley said. “I never have been. I’ve been a basketball player from Day One.”

Born Jan. 27, 1964, in Long Beach, Calif., Haley attended Huntington Beach High School before going to Golden West College (1983-84) and then on to UCLA.

Following his 1996 stint with the Bulls, Haley played parts of the next two seasons with the Nets. He finished his nine-year NBA career with 1,180 points (3.5 avg).

Haley later served as an assistant coach with the Nets. He would go on to co-host a pre-game show for the Lakers and had minor movie acting roles

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

RIP Jack Haley.... [View all] , Warren Coolidge, Tue Mar-17-15 07:32 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
damn...R.I.P.
Mar 17th 2015
Young man. RIP
Mar 17th 2015
Best proof he was a kind man who loved everyone? Still talked to Scottie...
Mar 17th 2015
Damn
Mar 17th 2015
Man..
Mar 17th 2015
*waves towel fervently in post* RIP
Mar 17th 2015

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2430444 Previous topic | Next topic