Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2355196

Subject: "Michele Roberts to lead NBPA after "clusterfuck"" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Michele Roberts to lead NBPA after "clusterfuck""

Woj's timeline last night

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 14h
As some expected, retired player Jerry Stackhouse showed at NBPA meeting and criticized process for executive director, source tells Yahoo.

Stackhouse doesn't have official role in NBPA process, but has support. One player in room tells Yahoo, "He's trying to initiate a divide."

NBPA executive committee believes it will get a vote on a new executive director tonight, sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 13h
Stackhouse hasn't spoken in meeting setting in Vegas, but has been speaking with players one-on-one during breaks, sources tell Yahoo.

Truth be told, Stack's the least of the NBPA issues now. So many factions, so many agendas. In every way, union remains a house divided.

Another player in the NBPA meeting room texts Yahoo: "This is a cluster. They're trying to slam a director down our throats."

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 10h
After presentations, player rep tells Yahoo he wants peers to abstain on NBPA vote. "…30 minutes is a quick turnaround for this decision."

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 9h
The NBPA has elected Washington, D.C. attorney Michele Roberts as its executive director, source tells Yahoo Sports.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 152 times152 FavoriteFavorited 50 times50
More
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 9h
NBPA president Chris Paul has a strong belief in Michele Roberts, league sources tell Yahoo. Along with exec. committee, she's his choice.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 49 times49 FavoriteFavorited 36 times36
More
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 10h
The NBPA Executive Committee is supporting attorney Michele Roberts for Executive Director job, sources tell Yahoo. Vote is coming now.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/29/5947199/michele-roberts-executive-director-nbapa
The vote capped a wild day of meetings for the Players Association, which went 17 months without a successor to Hunter. Roberts was one of three candidates considered for the job, along with Mavericks CEO Terdema Ussery and Dean Garfield, the CEO of Information Technology Industry Council.

The night began with top agents pushing against the three finalists and urging their clients not to vote. Each of the candidates eventually received 45 minutes for a presentation. Still, there was pressure on the players to abstain.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24641024/nbpa-makes-history-with-election-of-michele-roberts-as-executive-director

This one has some gems:

LAS VEGAS -- Nearly 18 months after ousting Billy Hunter, the National Basketball Players Association elected Michele Roberts as its new executive director on Monday.

Roberts, a Washington, D.C., trial lawyer, became the first woman to lead a male professional sports league union in North America with 32 of a possible 36 votes among player representatives and executive committee members.

She defeated two other finalists, tech industry CEO Dean Garfield and Dallas Mavericks CEO Terdema Ussery. There were abstentions among the four votes that did not go in Roberts' favor, as player agents and retired players dissatisfied with the selection process tried to compel clients to abstain or postpone the vote.

"Let's be clear: I'm sure there were people that noticed I was a girl," Roberts said in an interview session with reporters after the vote. "Having said that, I frankly wanted to address that question up front whenever I spoke with any of the members of the executive committee and the union. My sense was, the only thing people cared about was my resolve."

"It shows how open-minded our players are," NBPA president Chris Paul said. "With any of the candidates, it wasn't about race or gender. It was about who was going to be the best person in that position. From day one in interviews, she tackled every question head first. ... There were tough questions she was faced with. She didn't back away from them. She didn't shy away from them. She told us her story, and it really sat well with us."

But Roberts, by all accounts a talented and ruthless trial lawyer, steps into the leadership role in a union that is rife with divisions and mistrust among some segments of the agent community and retired players. Leading the dissent on Monday was Jerry Stackhouse, who was elected to the executive committee last year, subsequently stepped down, and called the executive director selection process "a joke."

"I've been quiet through the whole thing, but when I see this right here, they knew who they wanted to come here," Stackhouse said. "They brought in the woman; they brought in two candidates to All-Star, and everybody said the process was flawed. And they just did this to save face. They brought back one of the candidates. What happened to the other one?"

"When you're telling everybody that Kevin Johnson is leading the process and then all of a sudden he drops out of the process in the final hour, it reeks," Stackhouse said.

Stackhouse said he was asked to leave the room before the vote.

"It's an endless pit," Stackhouse said. "It's fertile ground. They've got the right person in place, someone who has no institutional knowledge of the union and how it works. It's going to be a joke."

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Michele Roberts to lead NBPA after "clusterfuck" [View all] , ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Jul-29-14 09:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Stack's salty ass needs to go sit the fuck down somewhere
Jul 29th 2014
no institutional knowledge of the nbpa should be the first qualification
Jul 29th 2014
Basically n/m
Jul 29th 2014
hm
Jul 29th 2014
      I think Bron's gonna be pretty active in this upcoming one
Jul 29th 2014
           I don't know, Lebron likes to play the good guy role and let...
Jul 29th 2014
                hes been more outspoken in recent years
Jul 29th 2014
                     Speaking on those things wasn't really controversial, it's a big differe...
Jul 30th 2014
wonder what stackhouse's beef is
Jul 29th 2014
maybe it's cause chris paul punches guys in the dick?
Jul 29th 2014
They need to hold strong on the age limit
Jul 29th 2014

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2355196 Previous topic | Next topic