Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2230195

Subject: "Spinoff: What wide receivers ARE getting in the Pro Football HOF?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Sep-14-13 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spinoff: What wide receivers ARE getting in the Pro Football HOF?"

as far as eligible guys...

- Tim Brown, a lot of people think he should be there and he may finally be inducted as soon as next year. I think he finally gets in.

- Andre Reed, there used to be a lot of sentiment for him but a lot of people have passed him on the all time lists for receptions, yards and TD's since he retired so I don't know if he'll make it despite playing in 4 Super Bowls...

not yet eligible...

- Marvin Harrison, he becomes eligible next year, for about 8 straight seasons he was one of the most consistent WR's ever, double-digit td's for 8 straight seasons, he did that playing with one of the greatest passers of all-time but his numbers are sick regardless, his career ended kind of weird and he may have to wait a bit but I think he eventually gets in...

- Randy Moss, a no-brainer to me, no disrespect to Jerry Rice but for my money Moss is the GOAT, bottom line when he was on his shit he was more feared that any other WR in NFL history. Some people say all he did was go deep but even though teams knew that they STILL couldn't stop him the majority of the time. He didn't play with 2 HOF QB's most of his career either, Randy balled out with Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Tom Brady, and several other random QB's, it didn't matter. He definitely gets in.

- Terrell Owens, there's a lot of negative feelings about him but the numbers speak for themselves. Sure he would make a spectacular catch and follow it up by letting a routine one bounce off his hands. Sure he was a prima-donna(most great WR's are, including Rice), sure there were accusations of him being a "bad teammate" and his career had a weird ending(another recurring them with most of these guys), but the bottom line is there's never been a better combination of size, speed and strength at the WR position in NFL history. Another guy who did it with a number of different QB's. Over time I think the negative feelings will fade but the numbers will stand. They'll probably make him wait a while but he eventually gets in.

- Isaac Bruce, 4th all-time in receiving yards behind only Rice, Owens and Moss and Moss just barely passed him last season. Bruce is top 10 all time in receptions and receiving tds also and every one ahead of hi is either already in the HOF or probably will be. That's despite spending a lot of his early prime on some bad teams. Some try to say his numbers are "inflated" due to playing in Mike Martz's offense with Kurt Warner but actually some his best statistical seasons came early in his career catching passes from people like Chris Miller and Tony Banks. His 1995 season was one of the greats WR seasons in NFL history but unfortunately it got overshadowed because Jerry Rice had what was THE greatest WR season that same season. 95 was kind of a crazy year for receiving numbers around the league(another topic for another time). Bruce was never one of the biggest or fastest guys but he might have been the greatest route runner ever, he was known for making even the top DB's look foolish, plus he had ridiculous hands. It may take a while but I think he eventually gets in.

- Torry Holt, a sentimental choice for me, another one of my favorite players ever, had a relatively short career due to knee injuries towards the end. But his career numbers for yards and receptions are still right there with the all-time greats even though they played a lot longer than him. Through out most 2000's he was right there with Moss and T.O. as one of the most dominant WR's in the game. He still holds multiple NFL receiving records including:

- Consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards receiving (6).
- Consecutive seasons with 90+ receptions (6).
- Seasons with 1,600 yards receiving (2 -tied with Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson)
- Ranked first in the NFL from 2000-08 with 817 receptions for 11,872 yards and 562 first downs during that span
- Reached 10,000 (116 games) and 11,000 (130 games) career receiving yards faster than any other player
- Receptions in a single decade (868, 2000–2009)
- Receiving yards in a single decade (12,594, 2000–2009)

I'd like to see him get in, he and Bruce are both eligible the same year, it would be great to see them go in together.

- Hines Wards, his numbers are right there on the cusp of the all-time greats even though he played the majority of his career in conservative ball-control offenses. He has 2 SB rings and is considered to be one of the best blocking WR's ever. Unfortunately I don't think there was ever a time were he was really considered one of the elite WR's in the game and I don't think he was ever a guy that teams really feared. He could get in but it would probably be a ways down the road.

active guys...

- Reggie Wayne, started out in Harrison's shadow but has kind of quietly put up some great numbers and is still going strong, he could have some pretty impressive totals before its all done...

- Andre Johnson, he's putting up some strong numbers to even though he's never hit double digit td's...

- Larry Fitzgerald, he's only 29 but shooting in the charts fast, we're probably a season away from him legitimately being in the convo but he should be up there when its all said and done...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Spinoff: What wide receivers ARE getting in the Pro Football HOF? [View all] , ThaTruth, Sat Sep-14-13 01:48 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Owens, Moss, and Brown will be there eventually.
Sep 14th 2013
RE: Owens, Moss, and Brown will be there eventually.
Sep 14th 2013
top-flight?
Sep 14th 2013
      Those old guy early 2000s Raiders WRs were something
Sep 14th 2013
In terms of abbreviated careers, Sterling Sharp is my fav
Sep 14th 2013
Sterling was beast...
Sep 14th 2013
I think TB might have a hard time getting in
Sep 14th 2013
RE: I think TB might have a hard time getting in
Sep 14th 2013
Like I said I think they should be in
Sep 14th 2013
bruce >> Tim Brown
Sep 14th 2013
WELKAH
Sep 14th 2013
A few strong seasons with Peyton could put him in the convo
Sep 14th 2013
Bruce should be in
Sep 14th 2013
I think it'd be comical for anyone to even consider...
Sep 14th 2013
Imagine Fitz's numbers if he had a consistent QB
Sep 14th 2013
man guys like Eric Moulds and Jimmy Smith will never be remembered
Sep 14th 2013
fuck Eric Moulds every-other-year playing ass, he was the source of...
Sep 14th 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ebYh5vgl90
Sep 14th 2013
Moss, Harrison, and Owens should be the 3 locks
Sep 14th 2013
if Andre Reed was from anywhere but Buffalo
Sep 14th 2013
If they had won just 1 of those damn super bowls he'd probably be in
Sep 14th 2013
Andre will get in, i don't know why the hate
Sep 15th 2013
      LOL at "team of the 90s"