Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2207288

Subject: "Brazilian Version of Game of Thrones. Ref Kills Player, Fans Kill Ref" Previous topic | Next topic
KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Sun Jul-07-13 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Brazilian Version of Game of Thrones. Ref Kills Player, Fans Kill Ref"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/07/07/199718617/mob-brutally-kills-soccer-referee-after-player-is-stabbed-and-killed

Brazilian police have made an arrest in a grisly incident during a soccer match, in which a referee's leveling of a red card penalty set off a clash with a player that resulted in the player's death and ended with the official being brutally killed.

The killings occurred during an amateur game last Sunday, June 30, in Maranhão, a state in Brazil's northeast that is west of Recife.

Authorities say that after referee Octavio da Silva, 20, told player Josenir dos Santos, whose age is being reported as either 30 or 31, that he had been tossed out of a game, the two began an argument that resulted in Silva stabbing Santos on the field.

The blog FOX Soccer describes what police say happened next:
"After witnessing the attack, fans invaded the field to attack the referee, who was stoned to death and quartered. Local news media are also reporting that the spectators decapitated Silva and stuck his head on a stake in the middle of the field."

Police have not confirmed that final detail, but they do say two men were killed that day. They have reportedly arrested Luis Moraes Souza, 27. Investigators are also seeking others involved in the attack on the referee. The scene was captured in cellphone photographs and videos, at least one of which has been posted online.

Security and police officials say they're working to identify members of the crowd and hold them accountable, reports the sports news site Globo Esporte.

Government and sports officials around Brazil are busily preparing for its upcoming duties hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup, as well as the 2016 Summer Olympics, to be based in Rio.

In the United States this past spring, a referee in Utah was allegedly killed by a player's punch after he declared a yellow-card foul in a recreational match.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Brazilian Version of Game of Thrones. Ref Kills Player, Fans Kill Ref [View all] , KosherSam, Sun Jul-07-13 01:29 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If u need a machete to ref a game......
Jul 07th 2013
had to double check to make sure this story was real
Jul 07th 2013
sickening..nm
Jul 07th 2013
THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!
Jul 07th 2013
Oh shit! (gruesome) video
Jul 07th 2013
Curiosity cost me my lunch.
Jul 07th 2013
the one cat said 'it should have been you, Angel Hernandez' COLD!
Jul 07th 2013
Yo that soccer game you were gonna play in might be delayed a while
Jul 07th 2013
d'oh, went wu-tang instead of gang starr
Jul 07th 2013
wait where did I screw up?
Jul 07th 2013
      no, you didn't....I think Frank must have....hence the edit
Jul 07th 2013
      gotcha lol. here at the fucking LA zoo taking breaks
Jul 07th 2013
      you had it right, i originally replied with "is he dead?"
Jul 07th 2013
"He said if one more person argued a call he'd go off...
Jul 07th 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2207288 Previous topic | Next topic