Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2108322

Subject: "Advanced Stats/Sabermetric Heads: A Basketball Question" Previous topic | Next topic
RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Thu Jan-10-13 03:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Advanced Stats/Sabermetric Heads: A Basketball Question"

I go back and forth with you cats, not gonna say any names, but it's all love on this end

But the question I have is this:
With 2 GMs using these advanced stats, and are probably gonna be active by the trade deadline (Hollinger, Morey), they are probably looking to either trade picks away, or acquire picks. Are these same advanced stats that are established for NBA players used for kids in the drafts? Are you gonna look at a true shooting % of a Nerlens Noel, or the win shares and the like available for a Seth Curry?
In other words, what are they using to make a good draft pick? Or are they using picks to covet players already in the league that they have some sort of basis information off of?

Question I had due to possible trades of picks...wondering the thought process of who/how they would go about approaching the draft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Advanced Stats/Sabermetric Heads: A Basketball Question [View all] , RexLongfellow, Thu Jan-10-13 03:30 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
So Hollinger really is the Grizzzlies GM? I thought that was an Onion...
Jan 10th 2013
This gives you some insight.
Jan 10th 2013
Interesting
Jan 10th 2013
      One of Morey's strategies is to collect talent
Jan 10th 2013
           yeah.
Jan 10th 2013
different game
Jan 10th 2013
yes.
Jan 10th 2013
and they probably have figured out which stats do and dont translate wel...
Jan 10th 2013
i don't consider myself a stat person but i figure
Jan 10th 2013
cool chapter on minor league baseball scouting in nate silver's book
Jan 10th 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2108322 Previous topic | Next topic