Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2072434

Subject: "J. R. Smith is no longer about that life (swizzzy)" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Nov-16-12 09:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"J. R. Smith is no longer about that life (swizzzy)"

SAN ANTONIO – J.R. Smith would rather be the NBA’s top sixth man than continue trying to be the Knicks’ unofficial man about town.

“I’m not going to lie, the New York City nightlife last year pretty much got to me," Smith said Thursday before the Knicks tried to remain the NBA’s lone unbeaten team while facing the powerhouse Spurs at the AT&T Center.

LONE STARS: KNICKS STILL PERFECT AFTER WIN OVER SPURS

“I was going out pretty much every other night and not focused on the task at hand. This year, it’s different. I go out, here and there. But I’ve got to pick and choose my spots, definitely not before games. I got to be smart about it."

Smith’s strong play off the bench has helped the Knicks get off to their fastest start in 19 years. They faced - and passed - a major test in the Spurs (7-2), with another key matchup Friday night against the Grizzlies (6-1) in Memphis.

Still regarded as a wild-card player who can shoot his team into or out of games, Smith is at least acting more professional and looking more the part, too.

Last season, Knicks coach Mike Woodson went public with his displeasure about how Smith comported himself, going so far as to say, “I want his shorts pulled up. I want him to look presentable."

Under the tutelage of former coach Mike D'antoni, Smith had free reign to shoot at will, disregard defense and use practice as his personal relaxation and recuperation time, likely needed from the previous night on the town. Smith has also been required to mature in other ways as he was fined $25,000 by the NBA for posting a picture of his girlfriend’s posterior on his Twitter account.

Now in his ninth season, the 27-year-old gunner says he’s taking pains to grow up. He has been wearing suits, but his improved appearance is only part of the story.

“I want to make my parents proud," said the Freehold, N.J., product. “My dad has been a Knicks fan all of his life, and I definitely don’t want to disappoint him or my mom. So I approach every day differently — I think of it as a positive.

“Previously in my career, I’ve had negative energy coming into the gym. Not wanting to be there. Joking around. Goofing off. This year I’ve been more serious, understanding that every road trip we take is a work trip. Not just a play trip. My thing is to be a professional 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I can’t let myself slip or let my teammates slip. So in order for me to hold them accountable, I have to hold myself accountable."

Smith is well over not getting a starting spot. He says his teammates have helped him deal with that by insisting they need his scoring ability off the bench.

“It’s not like I’m not playing, I can still help the team,” he said. “As far as the Sixth Man award goes, it’s too early to be talking about that.”

Smith doesn’t have a contract beyond next season, so changing his ways is beneficial for him.

“This is an important year for all of us and he’s a big piece of what we’re trying to do," Woodson said.

“He’s got to be professional and do all the necessary things on and off the court."

When Woodson heard that Smith was cutting back on his forays into New York nightlife, he smiled.

“That’s a good thing," he said. “I applaud him for that."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/maturing-sixth-man-puts-knicks-article-1.1202931#ixzz2COhGQ9t4

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

J. R. Smith is no longer about that life (swizzzy) [View all] , Cenario, Fri Nov-16-12 09:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Woodson broke through to that young man
Nov 16th 2012
one of my favorite tweets about JR Smith:
Nov 16th 2012
i think he shoots it and then kisses her.
Nov 16th 2012
LMAO
Nov 16th 2012
I'm sure you took great delight
Nov 16th 2012
RE: I'm sure you took great delight
Nov 16th 2012
dude is playing golf and acting like an old man now...
Nov 16th 2012
I thought he's BEEN a golfer
Nov 16th 2012
      yeah i think him and his brother play a lot of golf
Nov 16th 2012
lol was gonna post this last night
Nov 16th 2012
pretty much.
Nov 16th 2012
WOODSON BE HELPIN YOUNG MEN'S SOULS
Nov 16th 2012
Good for him (no snark)
Nov 16th 2012
word, its so heartwarming
Nov 16th 2012
I'll wait a whole season to buy these wolf tickets. And I like JR
Nov 16th 2012
I think this will stick
Nov 16th 2012
Good for him, man. great read.
Nov 16th 2012
does this mean more twitpics a Tahiry in bed?
Nov 16th 2012
His ninjarisness always seemed hollow to me
Nov 16th 2012
Mike Woodson
Nov 16th 2012
This whole JR shoots shit that ny fans loving right now...
Nov 16th 2012
shooting us out of games was the least of jr's problems.
Nov 16th 2012
Ok, I respect that
Nov 16th 2012
He's the closest thing we've had to Starks since the 90s
Nov 16th 2012
i just feel like theres a level of partying i havent ever seen
Nov 16th 2012
RE: i just feel like theres a level of partying i havent ever seen
Nov 16th 2012
I still remember HS All American weekend...they said "he has a shot
Nov 16th 2012
karl's fault.
Nov 16th 2012
This negro trying to get DAT 'TRACT!!
Nov 16th 2012
well that was fun while it lasted
May 03rd 2013
The photo in the article wasn't from Tuesday
May 03rd 2013
this dude .... lmao
May 03rd 2013
HAAAAANNNNH
May 03rd 2013
idiocy solidified .. So you start clubbing again in the playoffs?
May 03rd 2013
pop bottles like we won the championship - puff
May 03rd 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2072434 Previous topic | Next topic