Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2616888

Subject: "Grizzlies will retire ZBO's number (SWIPE)" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42305 posts
Thu Jul-06-17 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Grizzlies will retire ZBO's number (SWIPE)"

First shirt in the rafters in FedExForum. i expect TA's to follow.
Never forget beating the Spurs
EVERY crazy Clippers playoff series
THE Triple over-time game against the Thunder (You know which one).
Christmas
(Sidenote: the Grizz/Thunder rivalry was such an underrated narrative. Two young, small market teams on opposite ends of almost every spectrum. Half those games could go down as classics)

Grizzlies retiring Zach Randolph's No. 50 after eight seasons in Memphis
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19866061/memphis-grizzlies-retiring-zach-randolph-no-50

No player will ever wear Zach Randolph's No. 50 for the Memphis Grizzlies, the franchise announced Thursday.

The Grizzlies made the declaration in an open letter to Randolph that was signed by general manager Chris Wallace and president of business operations Jason Wexler.

Randolph's eight-year tenure in Memphis ended Tuesday when he agreed to a two-year, $24 million deal with the Sacramento Kings, a decision made after the Grizzlies declined to make a competitive offer, according to sources.

"Thank you for all the joy and magical moments too numerous to count," the letter read in part. "Thank you for the energy and excitement you brought each and every night to FedExForum. Thank you for your leadership and service. Thank you for your larger than life impact and for keeping all Memphians warm. Thank you.

"While there will be a time and place to recognize your lasting impact in Memphis, starting today, as stated earlier by Controlling Owner, Robert Pera, number 50 will never be worn by any other member of the Memphis Grizzlies."

Randolph, who will turn 36 on July 16, established himself as a local legend over the past eight seasons in Memphis, a city that embraced him for his rugged playing style and for overcoming a rough upbringing. He has played a critical role in the Grizzlies' seven straight playoff appearances and ranks first in franchise history in rebounds (5,612) and third behind Mike Conley and Marc Gasol in points (9,261).

A two-time All-Star and 16-year NBA veteran, Randolph accepted a transition to sixth man last season and excelled in his reserve role. He averaged 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in 24.5 minutes per game. His 20 double-doubles were the most by any bench player in the league.

Those statistics were down from Randolph's career averages (16.8 PPG, 9.3 RPG), but his per-36-minute scoring and rebounding numbers were the best of his Memphis tenure.

Many Grizzlies fans honored the player known as "Z-Bo" this week by making donations in his name to pay utility bills for underprivileged families. Randolph has donated $20,000 annually for several years to the cause, one of many ways he gave back to the Memphis community.

"Zach helped establish what it means to play for the Grizzlies on the court and in the community, and in doing so helped forge an identity for our City," the open letter read. "His numerous on the court accomplishments speak for themselves. He is our all-time leader in field goals, rebounds and of course, takedowns.

"He is a proud civic leader and an extraordinary hands-on community benefactor. It is no coincidence that our collective dedication to service in our communities and our pride in Memphis surged during his time here."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Grizzlies will retire ZBO's number (SWIPE) [View all] , hardware, Thu Jul-06-17 02:18 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
That's nice, I guess the Gasols and Conley will follow
Jul 06th 2017
all 4 going up GUARANTEED
Jul 06th 2017
Marc yes, Pau no
Jul 06th 2017
Pau has what, like 500 fewer points in a Grizz uniform?
Jul 06th 2017
      pau never even won a playoff game there.
Jul 06th 2017
      If you say so
Jul 07th 2017
           rarefied air? im just talking winning a playoff game
Jul 07th 2017
                That's sarcasm, does Memphis really have any memorable moments?
Jul 07th 2017
                     Pau's exit was a little rocky
Jul 07th 2017
                          yeah i mean i know it wasn't all sunshine and roses but ...
Jul 07th 2017
      I guess you just gotta live here to understand
Jul 07th 2017
      Rudy? Hell naw. And yeah I get that three or four of those guys will get...
Jul 07th 2017
      RE: Pau has what, like 500 fewer points in a Grizz uniform?
Jul 07th 2017
           If they wanna retire Allen's number, fine
Jul 07th 2017
                Cause jerseys in the rafters aint got nothing to do with PPG
Jul 07th 2017
                     really that varies from team to team. they are establishing standards
Jul 07th 2017
                          I agree. Thats pretty much what i'm saying
Jul 07th 2017
a franchise's history has to start somewhere
Jul 06th 2017
WCF in 2013
Jul 07th 2017
      oh yeah i forgot about that
Jul 11th 2017
I gotta drop this in...
Jul 06th 2017
Is he retired/retiring?
Jul 06th 2017
One could argue playing for the Kings means retirement.
Jul 06th 2017
      The announcement is more symbolic
Jul 06th 2017
as they should
Jul 06th 2017
*throws up pitchforks*
Jul 06th 2017
Good. He changed his whole narrative there. Good shit.
Jul 06th 2017
Respect nm
Jul 06th 2017

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2616888 Previous topic | Next topic